Warning

 

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Posted: 2/21/2016 9:47:29 AM EDT
Jeb says he's a "Conservative".  So does Cruz.  Seems to me this word has no real meaning.  There's no standard for what it means to be "Conservative".  
Seems to me the real question should be are you a Constitutionalist.  Better yet, are you a strict Constitutionalist?  No "living document" BS.

Instead of seeing political signs on the sign of the road every election saying Joe Blow Conservative, I would like to see Joe Blow Constitutionalist.
You would think that would tell people a hell of a lot more than the label conservative.  So why don't you see politicians labeling themselves as Constitutionalists?

Link Posted: 2/21/2016 9:49:21 AM EDT
Texturalist
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 9:52:51 AM EDT
https://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=wjGsLmAXTYs

Bill Whittle is easy to agree with.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 9:59:03 AM EDT
Originally Posted By The_Patriot:
 So why don't you see politicians labeling themselves as Constitutionalists?

View Quote



If they adopted the Constitution as a standard against which to measure their behavior, it would quickly become apparent that they were failing to conform their behavior to the standard.
It's much better for them to adopt a label which allows them to define themselves without reference to any objective standard.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 10:03:02 AM EDT
Let's see...

Don't spend unless it's something I like, and don't legislate your ideology unless it's Christianity, then by all means....

Like liberals, most are hypocritical.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 10:03:33 AM EDT
Originally Posted By The_Patriot:
Jeb says he's a "Conservative".  So does Cruz.  Seems to me this word has no real meaning.  There's no standard for what it means to be "Conservative".  
Seems to me the real question should be are you a Constitutionalist.  Better yet, are you a strict Constitutionalist?  No "living document" BS.

Instead of seeing political signs on the sign of the road every election saying Joe Blow Conservative, I would like to see Joe Blow Constitutionalist.
You would think that would tell people a hell of a lot more than the label conservative.  So why don't you see politicians labeling themselves as Constitutionalists?

View Quote



It has meaning.


Yeb was just lying.


Link Posted: 2/21/2016 10:05:57 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 10:08:15 AM EDT
I agree, OP

It's an oxymoron

Liberals - anything but
Conservative - anything but
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 10:09:06 AM EDT
Rand Paul and his father are Constitutionalists
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 10:09:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/21/2016 10:10:11 AM EDT by eracer]
GD version of conservative?  Anarcho-capitalist licking Ayn Rand's boot heels.

 
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 10:09:59 AM EDT

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Sounds good, I'll have that.



 
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 10:12:24 AM EDT
Originally Posted By The_Patriot:
So why don't you see politicians labeling themselves as Constitutionalists?

View Quote

Because 99% of them would be lying if they did, and the other 1% are unelectable.

Anyway, I gotta go. If you need me, I'll be leading the Cynics Anonymous meeting over at the church, after the boozers clear out.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 10:13:05 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By POLYTHENEPAM:



If they adopted the Constitution as a standard against which to measure their behavior, it would quickly become apparent that they were failing to conform their behavior to the standard.
It's much better for them to adopt a label which allows them to define themselves without reference to any objective standard.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By POLYTHENEPAM:
Originally Posted By The_Patriot:
 So why don't you see politicians labeling themselves as Constitutionalists?




If they adopted the Constitution as a standard against which to measure their behavior, it would quickly become apparent that they were failing to conform their behavior to the standard.
It's much better for them to adopt a label which allows them to define themselves without reference to any objective standard.


Ouch.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 10:13:53 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 10:14:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/21/2016 10:14:54 AM EDT by CarbineDad]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Subnet:

Because 99% of them would be lying if they did, and the other 1% are unelectable.

Anyway, I gotta go. If you need me, I'll be leading the Cynics Anonymous meeting over at the church, after the boozers clear out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Subnet:
Originally Posted By The_Patriot:
So why don't you see politicians labeling themselves as Constitutionalists?


Because 99% of them would be lying if they did, and the other 1% are unelectable.

Anyway, I gotta go. If you need me, I'll be leading the Cynics Anonymous meeting over at the church, after the boozers clear out.



Hi, My Name is CarbineDad
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 10:16:35 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bigshooter81:
Let's see...

Don't spend unless it's something I like, and don't legislate your ideology unless it's Christianity, then by all means....

Like liberals, most are hypocritical.
View Quote


When was the last time the federal government "legislated Christianity" again? Yeah, and prolly a long long time ago. Move on, everyone else already has.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 10:31:23 AM EDT
Libertarian is what you seek not conservative
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 10:33:32 AM EDT
Originally Posted By The_Patriot:
Jeb says he's a "Conservative".  So does Cruz.  Seems to me this word has no real meaning.  There's no standard for what it means to be "Conservative".  
Seems to me the real question should be are you a Constitutionalist.  Better yet, are you a strict Constitutionalist?  No "living document" BS.

Instead of seeing political signs on the sign of the road every election saying Joe Blow Conservative, I would like to see Joe Blow Constitutionalist.
You would think that would tell people a hell of a lot more than the label conservative.  So why don't you see politicians labeling themselves as Constitutionalists?

View Quote



Well, two things.  If you've ever taken a poly sci class, you would know there is an actual definition for "conservative", "liberal", "progressive", etc in the political sense.  A "conservative" wants progress to happen, but in a slow, controlled manner.  

Second, people don't bill themselves as Constitutionalist because 99% of the electorate don't give a shit about the Constitution.  They give a shit about the single issue they are voting on.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 10:40:07 AM EDT
Being constitutional would rule much of what conservatives consider conservative.

Cheers!
-JC
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 11:04:32 AM EDT
The problem is that what is called "constitutionalist" would have to acknowledge the 10th Amendment and state's rights.  A conservative simply means a values determination.  Traditional judeo christian ethics in the American sense.  

cruz is both conservative and a constitutionalist.  Very rare to see that combination.  usually you will get the libertarian "constitutionalist" who thinks that laws against gay marriage are "unconstitutional"  They are no such thing at anything but the state level.

Most people who consider themselves "constitutionalist" vehemently oppose states' rights on subjects they disagree with.

Likewise, most people who consider themselves "conservative" have no problem with the federal government enforcing those things they agree with.

But Conservative and Constitutionalist are two different things.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 11:07:24 AM EDT
I wanted to believe in Rand until he supported Mitch McConnell's re-election campaign.  No one who believes in the Constitution would support McConnell.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 12:02:17 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jekbrown:


When was the last time the federal government "legislated Christianity" again? Yeah, and prolly a long long time ago. Move on, everyone else already has.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jekbrown:
Originally Posted By bigshooter81:
Let's see...

Don't spend unless it's something I like, and don't legislate your ideology unless it's Christianity, then by all means....

Like liberals, most are hypocritical.


When was the last time the federal government "legislated Christianity" again? Yeah, and prolly a long long time ago. Move on, everyone else already has.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile


Your reading comprehension skills are poor at best, rivaled only by your understanding of context.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 2:48:19 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 12:04:57 AM EDT

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Subnet:





Because 99% of them would be lying if they did, and the other 1% are unelectable.



Anyway, I gotta go. If you need me, I'll be leading the Cynics Anonymous meeting over at the church, after the boozers clear out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Subnet:



Originally Posted By The_Patriot:

So why don't you see politicians labeling themselves as Constitutionalists?





Because 99% of them would be lying if they did, and the other 1% are unelectable.



Anyway, I gotta go. If you need me, I'll be leading the Cynics Anonymous meeting over at the church, after the boozers clear out.
get both
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 12:28:22 AM EDT
Unfortunately, both R and L parties believe that their way is best and mean to impose these values on everyone else. It's all good until the other guy wins and you're on the receiving end of the imposition.

A constitutionalist goes out of his or her way to avoid instilling personal preference into things. The first question they ask themselves when an issue arises, is "what does our country's founding document say about this?" If still unclear in the answer, the next question would probably be something similar to "what would our founding fathers have done in this situation?" The final check is whether or not the answer errs on the side of liberty.

I consider myself a constitutionalist, however I am not a politician. My personal beliefs/preferences do not effect my interpretation of the constitution.

Ted Cruz is the best choice I the remaining field in my opinion, but he falls short of the constitutionalist that I would like to see. No one seems to come as close as he does to the constitutionalist ideal, so he'll get my vote.
Top Top