Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/10/2007 3:04:13 PM EDT
I remember hearing about the big hole in the ozone when I was a kid.  Of course back then I believed it, that was before I was old enough to really understand the whole liberal/conservative deal.  

I imagine global warming will seem just as stupid in 20 years.

Anyway, is that big whole still up there?  is it going to end life on earth as we know it?
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 3:21:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Global warming heated it up and it floated away
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 3:23:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Dont forget in the 1970s everyone was running around saying the Earth couldn't feed the population in 10, 20 and 30 yerars out.

SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 3:27:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Nobody bought into it, so they went with the global warming thing.  When it becomes pase' they will come up with something new.  My prediction is the seas becoming too saline to support life.

I hope I live long enough to see Algore Jr. selling salt credits.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 3:27:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I always wondered why the hole was over Antarctica. It's not like gravity pulled it down there. Maybe it's the LACK of CFCs there and the rest of the planet's ozone is safe because of what's emitted from the populated and industrialized parts of the world.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 3:29:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I always wondered why the hole was over Antarctica. It's not like gravity pulled it down there. Maybe it's the LACK of CFCs there and the rest of the planet's ozone is safe because of what's emitted from the populated and industrialized parts of the world.

I always wondered why it was ok for NASA to emit them in large quantities, but not ok for me to use R-12?
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:04:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Upcoming Ice Age.

Everyone will need to understand binary and hexadecimal math so they can program computers.

Nuclear Winter.  (as a result of worldwide nuclear war)

Upcoming world economic crash.

Swine Flu.  (Nobody died from swine flu, but many elderly died from the shots)

Overpopulation/starvation.

Peak Oil.

Electromagnetic radiation from power lines.

Acid rain.

Styrofoam.  (as a pollutent)

Africanized bees.

Multiple chemical sensitivity.

Frogs disappearing.

Species going extinct.

ETA:   Alar on apples.  Antibiotics and hormones in meat.  Pork, beef, eggs will give you a heart attack, so eat Oatmeal instead.

Ozone hole.

Break dancing was going to solve the gang violence problem.  When gangs met up, instead of shooting, they'd settle their differences with who could break dance the best.

Amazon rain forest (that's jungle to you and me) disappearing due to clearcutting.

Spotted owl.  (used to stop logging in the Northwest)

The Big Bands are coming back.  (some local high school with a jazz band program)

Snail darter.  (used to stop a dam being built)

Mad cow disease.

Global warming.

Cell phones will give you brain cancer.

Bird flu.

Global climate change.

Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:11:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I remember "acid rain is destroying  the forests of Europe" back in the 80's.

Don't remember what idiot reporter said it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:12:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Global cooling fad died and was replaced by the ozone hole.

Ozone hole fad died and was replaced by global warming.

I think I am detecting a pattern here.

Ja think

1970s new Ice Age… OMG we are all going to die.

1980s Acid rain… OMG we are all going to die.

1990s Ozone hole… OMG we are all going to die.

2000s Global warming… OMG we are all going to die.

2010s XXXXXXXXXXX… OMG we are all going to die.

It's more like, OMG we are all going to die unless you do as we say!!!

Steve
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:13:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Upcoming Ice Age.

Everyone will need to understand binary and hexadecimal math so they can program computers.

Peak Oil.

Acid rain.

Africanized bees.

Frogs disappearing.

Species going extinct.

Ozone hole.

Break dancing was going to solve the gang violence problem.  When gangs met up, instead of shooting, they'd settle their differences with who could break dance the best.

Amazon rain forest (that's jungle to you and me) disappearing due to clearcutting.

The Big Bands are coming back.  (some local high school with a jazz band program)

Mad cow disease.

Global warming.

Bird flu.

Global climate change.

Y2K

Global Thermonuclear war

Paving over the world  (see Silent Running)

Alar on apples

Detergents killing water

Bees going extinct

Golden cheeked warblers going extinct

Horse power race during muscle car days.

Arm race.

And, the single thing democrats hate most of all, human race.

DDT

CIA, NSA, MGB-GT
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:13:38 PM EDT
[#10]
And of course lets not forgets 'cop killer bullets' and OMG the AWB can't expire we're all going to die!

But you guys knew that.

I am still trying to figure out how it is even possible that a planet full of such stupid shit stains can have accomplished so much.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:18:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Y2K

Global Thermonuclear war

Paving over the world  (see Silent Running)

Alar on apples

Detergents killing water

Bees going extinct

DDT

CIA, NSA, MGB-GT

Thanks, Mike.  I was adding Alar just as you posted yours.  

Globalnuclearwar... yes, which would cause Nuclear Winter.

Detergents... the phosphates in detergents, or the runnoff from hog farms (because we eat too much bacon) caused algae to grow out of control, sucking up all the O2 in the water, thus killing the fish.  And causing the "dead zone" in the Gulf of Mexico.  

And I forgot the paving and bees.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:21:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I still want to know what happened to acid rain.  Remember that?  Hell with the expanding economy it should have gotten worse, right?

Acid rain and climate change occur thanks to volcanic eruptions, which mankind has no control over.

Global warming occurs thanks to increased radiation output from the sun, which mankind has no control over.

Global cooling occurs to decreased radiation output from the sun or deflection of said solar radiation by an increased albedo (caused by volcanoes), which mankind has no control over.

But it's our BUSH'S fault for, you know, not being a third world shit hole.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:24:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Save the Whales.

Save the Seals, stop clubbing baby seals.

------

After all of the above, young people wonder why us "old fogies" just don't care.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:33:31 PM EDT
[#14]
OMG!

We forgot silicone boobs.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:41:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Ya know another one I thought of is the HUGE problem of people drinking bottled water.  We are going to run out of room in landfills to bury them all in.  We are so screwed.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:42:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I remember science class with the topic of radiation. Sounds like microwave ovens scared the hell outta people for a period of time. They cant even cook crispy french fries, but nukes will get them extra crispy! (or vaporized!) So why bother?
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:49:02 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I remember hearing about the big hole in the ozone when I was a kid.  Of course back then I believed it, that was before I was old enough to really understand the whole liberal/conservative deal.  

I imagine global warming will seem just as stupid in 20 years.

Anyway, is that big whole still up there?  is it going to end life on earth as we know it?

The ozone hole at the south pole happens every year. See, what the enviro-nuts conveniently forget to mention to people is the fact that ozone is created when sunlight strikes the earth's atmosphere... so during periods of the year (winter) when there is little to no sunlight hitting the south pole, guess what? Ozone hole. Spring comes, and the ozone hole goes away. It's been doing it forever. But telling it like it is wouldn't help Al Gore sell carbon offsets or any other liberal tax/spend/regulate ideas, so they prefer to just twist the facts into propaganda instead.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:50:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
And of course lets not forgets 'cop killer bullets' and OMG the AWB can't expire we're all going to die!

But you guys knew that.

I am still trying to figure out how it is even possible that a planet full of such stupid shit stains can have accomplished so much.

Well, generally all the stupid shitstains died of disease, starvation, their own stupidity, or pissing someone off because of their stupidity, historically speaking. It was only in the 19th century that we started sheltering dumbasses from cold, harsh reality. Notice when Marx and company started showing up; leftist dipshits have been plaguing us ever since then.

Prior to that, the vast majority of people were intelligent and went out and accomplished shit.

"I'll put together a building that will last over a thousand years." "I'm going to circumnavigate the world." "I'm going to burn your village and make slaves of your children." "I'm going to develop a new mathematical formula." "I'm going to compose a song." "What if I made this crossbow, like, big enough to knock down WALLS?"
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:54:57 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But you guys knew that.

Well, generally all the stupid shitstains died of disease, starvation, their own stupidity, or pissing someone off because of their stupidity, historically speaking. It was only in the 19th century that we started sheltering dumbasses from cold, harsh reality. Notice when Marx and company started showing up; leftist dipshits have been plaguing us ever since then.

Prior to that, the vast majority of people were intelligent and went out and accomplished shit.

"I'll put together a building that will last over a thousand years." "I'm going to circumnavigate the world." "I'm going to burn your village and make slaves of your children." "I'm going to develop a new mathematical formula." "I'm going to compose a song." "What if I made this crossbow, like, big enough to knock down WALLS?"

Swindle, I'm going to use that one...and of course, cite the source
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:58:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Soccer.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 8:01:56 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Upcoming Ice Age.

Peak Oil.

Acid rain.

Africanized bees.

Frogs disappearing.

Species going extinct.

ETA:   Alar on apples.  Antibiotics and hormones in meat.  Pork, beef, eggs will give you a heart attack, so eat Oatmeal instead.

Ozone hole.

Mad cow disease.

Global warming.

Bird flu.

Global climate change.

Dang, you mentioned almost every one that I would have.  You must be a child of the '60s and '70s.  

ETA:  Ooops. You missed Love Canal and the "hazardous waste in your backyard" scares.

And Three Mile Island, where I clearly remember one egghead hysterically proclaiming -- on national TV -- that within a year there would be an epidemic of cancer throughout the eastern US.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 8:09:22 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Upcoming Ice Age.

Peak Oil.

Acid rain.

Africanized bees.

Frogs disappearing.

Species going extinct.

Ozone hole.

Mad cow disease.

Global warming.

Bird flu.

Global climate change.

Most complete list Evar!

Link Posted: 8/10/2007 8:12:26 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Upcoming Ice Age.

Peak Oil.

Acid rain.

Africanized bees.

Frogs disappearing.

Species going extinct.

Ozone hole.

Mad cow disease.

Global warming.

Bird flu.

Global climate change.

Most complete list Evar!

He forgot getting too close to your TV.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 8:19:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 8:55:54 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Upcoming Ice Age.

Peak Oil.

Acid rain.

Africanized bees.

Frogs disappearing.

Species going extinct.

Ozone hole.

Mad cow disease.

Global warming.

Bird flu.

Global climate change.

Most complete list Evar!

Thank you, guys.

And we left out cow flatulance.  Which is all McDonald's fault.  And styrofoam, also McD's fault.  You see, you order a hamburger, which causes MickeyD's to order more meat, which makes the ranchers breed more cattle, which eat more grass, and fart, producing methane, which causes global warming.  And they put that hamburger in a styrofoam package to keep it warm, which goes into landfills and screws up the environment for a gazillion years.

And speaking of McDonald's, the clearcutting of the rainforest (Brazillian jungle) was also their fault... it was being cleared by ranchers to grow cattle to be sold to McDonald's.

While Chilean shepherds high up in the Andes were getting cancerous sunburns and going blind from the UV coming in through the ozone hole.

We left out all the birds dying from

(a) Hitting windmills generating pollution-free electricity.
(b) Flying into microwave towers, being confused by the microwaves.
(c) Getting their necks caught in plastic 6-pack rings or
(d) Getting entangled in monofiliment line.

That's if the ducks don't die from eating all that lead shot.  

And the eagles that don't die from DDT will eat fish with lead poisoning from fishing weights.

And I forgot all those little children eating lead paint chips.  You'd think they'd have eaten all the lead paint by now and not be hungry anymore.

Lead in gas.  The pumps still say "unleaded".  Hell, there hasn't been any leaded gas for sale for many years.

One crisis after another!!!  Oh, my!!!

Hey, one of my kids, when in elementary school, wanted to start a ecology awareness club to Save the Earth.  School brainwashing.  

I told her, "That's great.  But with all such endeavers you need to start small and work your way up.

"First thing you do is Save your Room.  Go get that cleaned up.  

"Next you can Save our Yard.  Then you can go over and save Ms. Jones yard... she's getting kind of old and would appreciate the help.

"Then you can move on up from there.

"Awww, Dad!!!!"

"Hey, why do you expect all the adults to clean up the environment, pass a bunch of laws we have to obey or else, when you can't even clean up your room?"

That was the end of Save the Earth around our house.  

Link Posted: 8/10/2007 8:59:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Screwed-up frogs:  caused by a natural parasite, IIRC

Nuclear winter:  The hypothesis came from the TTAPS report (early 1980s, IIRC).  The "S" in TTAPS was Carl Sagan, who predicted that the Gulf War oil fires would cause global cooling (oops).

Food shortages:  might have actually happened, except that most grain crops are now "uber-grains," if you will, having been genetically engineered for MUCH larger yields, insect resistance, etc. than the crops of 100 yrs ago.

Acid rain:  honestly, we always were told this was responsible for F'ing up the paint job on my grandmother's '89 Ford Taurus.  Haven't heard anything about acid rain in a long time, though.

Pre-Posting add-on:
Coal-fired plants are using Flue gas desulfurization (FGD), which apparently cuts down on sulfur emissions and reduces acid rain.  I guess they largely fixed this problem.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 9:13:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Did you read about the elementary school kid who did a little undercover reporting for the school rag?

They had been fussed at to make sure they correctly separate garbage in the lunchroom... paper here, plastic there, food scraps in this one.  We must recycle to SAVE THE EARTH.

Well, they had all that drilled into them.

Turns out after lunch all that separated trash was tossed into one big garbage truck and dumped in the landfill.  No recylcing was going on.  It was all for nothing.

And they got mad at the kid for exposing this crap.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 9:24:09 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I still want to know what happened to acid rain.  Remember that?  Hell with the expanding economy it should have gotten worse, right?

Power plants installed SO2 scrubbers, mitigating the problem.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 9:28:14 PM EDT
[#29]
I forgot one!!!

Environmental Racism.  OK, you have to follow me here, it's complicated.  I didn't make this up...

Big oil or whoever wants to build a refinery or chemical plant, so they build it where property is cheapest... which is naturally near where poor people live... specifically poor black people.  So, the poor black people who are near those plants can't afford to move away from the pollution, so they suffer the most from it.  Therefore, "environmental racism."

You can't do this, build that, whatever because of its affect on the spotted owl, the snail darter, eagles, the children, the poor.

And we forgot the most important crisis of all time... come on, you know it... yeah, right on the tip of your tongue.

If not for a little luck, since we all live paycheck to paycheck, if we lost our job due to the racist, capitalist economy, we'd end up out on the street...

HOMELESS!!!

Well, when I was a kid, our Dad's would drive us around, point at those guys down alleys... "You see that bum?  that wino?  that drunk?  that junkie?  If you don't straighten up your act you'll end up on the street just like him."

But now they are no longer bums, winos or junkies.  Now they are the poor downtrodden "homeless".  All they need is a home.  They used to be wall street stock traders, real estate agents, accountants, autoworkers, who lost their jobs and they now are homeless!!!  There but for the Grace of God go you and I.  We could be homeless with just a little bad luck like they had.

Any day now, thousands upon thousands of people living under bridges and overpasses, in old refrigerator boxes, all because of Reaganomics.  He's the devil that caused this.

Link Posted: 8/10/2007 9:33:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Some famous libtard lies/scams from the past I remember growing up.
the comming ice age
overpopulation
Poverty causes crime
Guns cause crime
Catalytic convetors and "smog" pumps to curb polution
DDT scares
Nuclear power disasters to ruin the ecology
mass transit systems to eliminate traffic/polution in major cities
recreational drug use doesnt hurt any one.

I guess from what I have heard from the left over the years to be a liberal is like being a weatherman --you can be wrong 100% of the time and still keep churning out the BS on a daily basis with no repercussions.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 9:47:56 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
the comming ice age

spell check is your friend

overpopulation

Highest population countries, India and China, have population controls in place

Poverty causes crime

Poverty is a significant cause of crime. Wealthy people seldom commit crimes, with a few notable exceptions

Guns cause crime

No, guns don't cause crime

Catalytic convertors and "smog" pumps to curb pollution

Yes, catalytic converters and before them "smog" pumps are used to reduce pollution and have been very successful

DDT scares

DDT almost caused the bald eagle and many other species to become extinct. Other pesticides were developed as a result

Ask the people who live near Chernobyl

mass transit system do reduce pollution and traffic in major cities

Recreational drug use causes fewer problems than does the "war on drugs"

I guess from what I have heard from the left over the years to be a liberal is like being a weatherman --you can be wrong 100% of the time and still keep churning out the BS on a daily basis with no repercussions.

I guess posting on ARFcom is like being a weatherman. You can.... well, you get the point
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 10:12:05 PM EDT
[#32]

I always wondered why it was ok for NASA to emit them in large quantities, but not ok for me to use R-12?

Duponts patent for R-12 ran out.  

That's why the Ozone scare was created.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 10:15:54 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
the comming ice age

overpopulation

Highest population countries, India and China, have population controls in place

Poverty causes crime

Poverty is a significant cause of crime. Wealthy people seldom commit crimes, with a few notable exceptions

Guns cause crime

Yes, catalytic converters and before them "smog" pumps are used to reduce pollution and have been very successful

DDT scares

DDT almost caused the bald eagle and many other species to become extinct. Other pesticides were developed as a result

I guess posting on ARFcom is like being a weatherman. You can.... well, you get the point

Most of the above in your reply is baloney but I will only address the issue of DDT because it is the grandfather to the other false crisis addressed in this thread.

DDT was not the cause of the bald eagle and many other species almost becoming extinct that is myth and has been shown to be wrong.

The bald eagle was driven to near extinction by mostly indiscriminate shooting of bald eagles, the bald eagle up until the 1950-60s was considered a scavenge and a threat to small farm animals (chickens, rabbits, ect.) and small game they were routinely shot on sight by famers and many hunters. Almost as soon as bald eagles were given increased legal protection from these type shootings the populations began to increase. Bald eagle populations were decreasing long before DDT was first used and after the eagles got protection bald eagle populations were increasing long before DDT was banned all you have to do is look at US Fish and Wildlife Service data to confirm this. We now know egg shell thinning was caused by other pollutants not DDT.

What banning DDT did accomplish is to kill 25-40 MILLION PEOPLE who died from malaria that DDT controlled. DDT is once again being used to try and get a grip on malaria.

www.junkscience.com/july07/basu-ddt.htm

DDT : Myths And Realities

DR. TIRTHANKAR BASU.

Zelder received a Ph.D degree from University of Strassburg for the synthesis of DDT, Muller was awarded the 1948 Nobel prize for discovering its insecticidal properties. Dr. Kenneth Mellanby, former Director, Monks Wood Experimental Station, UK, in his lecture during golden jubilee year of DDT discovery celebration concluded

“There is one major use for which, there is at present, no alternative chemical for killing adult mosquitoes placing a residual deposit of DDT on the inside walls of house. This causes minimum or no environmental contamination with the maximum effect on the mosquito population. I hope that this use will be continued and extended.”

DDT was widely used all over the world in public Health programme & in Agriculture. Today DDT is under restricted use only for Public Health Programme, in 21 countries including India, as efforts to ban gathered momentum due to its long persistence nature in environment. Many countries are being forced by multilateral agencies, environmentalist groups to remove one of the most effective weapons against malaria, one of the mans-oldest disease specially in tropical countries like South east Asia, Africa etc. DDT has been classified in POP groups due to its slow rate of degradation from environment.

It is true that within specific countries and climate very large differences are measured in degradation rates of pesticides. Generally appreciably greater pesticide losses have been recorded under tropical climatic condition. Half-life of DDT in Temperate climate is more than 3-4 years where as in tropical climatic condition like India it is 3 months only. The major climatic factor in tropical climate which plays a crucial role in quick degradation of DDT & other designated persistent organic pesticides are sun light particularly Ultra-Violet Light , high temperature in tropics which are more intense in tropical & sub tropical zone than in temperate zone, aggravated pesticide losses much -much faster than temperate climate. Heavy rain and flooding of soil which is a predominant feature of tropical climate favors the development of anaerobic micro organism which accelerate the degradation of persistent organic pesticide like DDT. It is also to be mentioned that unlike other pesticides, DDT shows decrease of Toxicity in elevated temperature, which prevails in tropical climate. This is called Negative Temperature co-efficient.

Rachel Carson wrongly mentioned in her Silent Spring that DDE, the allegedly non- toxic metabolite of DDT, is responsible for egg shell thinning in the peregrine and a number of other species of bird. This conclusion is based on feeding experiments & on analysis of eggs from various areas. The situation is further complicated by the different reaction of different bird species. Fed with DDE the Bengalesefinch actually produces thicker eggshell (Edward, J. G. 1971). The eggshells of gallinaceous species such as quail, pheasant and the domestic hen often used in laboratory experiments are relatively unaffected. It has been reported that pollutant like mercury, lead etc are responsible for eggshell thinning in wild, NOT DDT(Tucker, R.K 1971).

Two months feeding of 20 ppm dietary DDT to Albino mice neither produce any change in enzymatic activity of Lactate-dehydrogenase , alkaline-Phosphatase & total protein- nor any Histopathological changes were observed in Liver (Banerjee ,B.D. 1982)

It is perhaps interesting to note that therapeutic uses for DDT have been discovered. A 17 years old patient had suffered from a genetically determined. Jaundice from his 13th year of his age. He was given a daily dose of 90 mg of DDT for six months. His high plasma bilirubin of 6 mg /100 ml fell to 1 mg/100 ml not only during course of treatment, but remain low for nearly 7 months even after it was discontinued. The therapeutic effect of the DDT is apparently operative because it increase the production of the enzyme glucuronyl- transferase, which enables the bilirubin to be conjugated with glucuronide acid and execrated as diglucuronide with the bile. No side effect of the DDT treatment were noticed and liver function tests and routine hematological tests remained normal. The DDT metabolite DDE which is formed in warm blooded organism has also been found valuable in treating the rare disease of inoperable adrenal cortical carcinoma.

Perhaps the most convincing fact, regarding high exposure to DDT is that since 1942, millions of people have been exposed to this insecticide for various public health purposes, without any details or any record of serious illness.

The fact that DDT residue in human milk exceeds that of ADI has no consequences for the health of a child since the intake is limited to the short lactation period and does not continue for life time. There have been reports of DDT being a possible mutagen. In the Ames test, DDT proved completely negative with and without metabolic activation & the same applies to dominant lethal tests in mice. The

General conclusion is that DDT is most unlikely to produce any mutagenic effects (WHO 1979 ).

Carcinogenicity studies in rats gave inconclusive result and were negative in Hamsters even high doses (Agthe et.al 1970 & Cabral et.al 1982). During the period when DDT was widely used in USA the total rate of Liver Cancer deaths fell and not increased. The situation is similar in other countries where DDT is being extensively used. There has been no increase in worldwide liver injuries or of liver Cancer. Based on an evaluation of all available data from animal studies, observations in man, epidemiological studies and Cancer statistics, an expert group of WHO came to the conclusion that after so many years of introduction of DDT there is no evidence, what so ever, that DDT is carcinogenic in man (WHO 1979).

Three generation of reproductive studies on Dogs fed with DDT found no significant differences between control & treated at length of gestation period, fertility, success of pregnancy, sizes of litter, lactation ability of mother, viability at birth, sex distribution, growth of pups, morbidity, mortality, organ/body wt ratio and histological abnormalities in all the animals studied. Only difference was that DDT treated females had their first oestrus two to three months earlier the control animal (Ottoboni et.al. 1977)

DDT is considered as the best tool used in anti-malaria campaigns and other vector control programme throughout the world. It saves millions of people from getting malaria every year. DDT is still the safest & least hazardous insecticide in handling & its application. All the criticism alleging that DDT has had an alarming impact on the environment, including human is completely unrealistic.

World Health Organization(WHO) expert committee report on DDT found no convincing evidence of long term adverse effect of DDT exposure as a result of Indoor Residual Spray and also there is no conclusive scientific report on adverse effect of DDT on human health. WHO in their recent announcement called for malaria endemic countries to use DDT more in malaria fight.

Lastly it is important to quote the statement of Dr. Arata Kochi, WHOs malaria chief “We must take a position based on the science and the data. One of the best tools we have against malaria is indoor residual housing spraying. Of the dozen insecticides WHO has approved as safe for house spraying , the most effective is DDT”.

REFERENCES :

Agthe, C., H. Garcia, P. Shubik, L. Tomatis, & E.Wenyon: Study of the potential carcinogenicity of DDT in the Syrian Golden Hamster. Proc.Soc.Exp.Biol.134, 113 (1970).

Banerjee, B. D : DDT and its metabolites in body fat and liver of albino mice. J.com.Dis (1982).

Cabral, J.R.P., L.Rossie, S.A. Bronczyk and P. Shubik: Lack of carcinogenicity of DDT in hamsters. Tumori 68, 11 (1982).

Edwards, J.G : No effect caused by DDT on birds or their egg shells. Chemical and Engineering News. Aug. 16. (1971).

Ottoboni, A., G. D. Bissel, and A.C Hexter: Effects of DDT on reproduction in multiple generations of Beagle dogs. Arch. Environ.Contam. Toxicol. 6, 83 (1977).

Tucker, R.K : Other pollutants may cause thin egg shells. Utah Science, pp 47-49, (June 1971).

World Health Organization : Environmental health criteria 9 : DDT and its derivatives.WHO, Geneva, 194 pp (1979).
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 10:55:26 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
the comming ice age

overpopulation

Poverty causes crime

Guns cause crime

DDT scares

Most of the above in your reply is baloney but I will only address the issue of DDT because it is the grandfather to the other false crisis addressed in this thread.

DDT was not the cause of the bald eagle and many other species almost becoming extinct that is myth and has been shown to be wrong.

The bald eagle was driven to near extinction by mostly indiscriminate shooting of bald eagles, the bald eagle up until the 1950-60s was considered a scavenge and a threat to small farm animals (chickens, rabbits, ect.) and small game they were routinely shot on sight by famers and many hunters. Almost as soon as bald eagles were given increased legal protection from these type shootings the populations began to increase. Bald eagle populations were decreasing long before DDT was first used and after the eagles got protection bald eagle populations were increasing long before DDT was banned all you have to do is look at US Fish and Wildlife Service data to confirm this. We now know egg shell thinning was caused by other pollutants not DDT.

What banning DDT did accomplish is to kill 25-40 MILLION PEOPLE who died from malaria that DDT controlled. DDT is once again being used to try and get a grip on malaria.

DR. TIRTHANKAR BASU.

Zelder received a Ph.D degree from University of Strassburg for the synthesis of DDT, Muller was awarded the 1948 Nobel prize for discovering its insecticidal properties. Dr. Kenneth Mellanby, former Director, Monks Wood Experimental Station, UK, in his lecture during golden jubilee year of DDT discovery celebration concluded

“There is one major use for which, there is at present, no alternative chemical for killing adult mosquitoes placing a residual deposit of DDT on the inside walls of house. This causes minimum or no environmental contamination with the maximum effect on the mosquito population. I hope that this use will be continued and extended.”

DDT was widely used all over the world in public Health programme & in Agriculture. Today DDT is under restricted use only for Public Health Programme, in 21 countries including India, as efforts to ban gathered momentum due to its long persistence nature in environment. Many countries are being forced by multilateral agencies, environmentalist groups to remove one of the most effective weapons against malaria, one of the mans-oldest disease specially in tropical countries like South east Asia, Africa etc. DDT has been classified in POP groups due to its slow rate of degradation from environment.

It is true that within specific countries and climate very large differences are measured in degradation rates of pesticides. Generally appreciably greater pesticide losses have been recorded under tropical climatic condition. Half-life of DDT in Temperate climate is more than 3-4 years where as in tropical climatic condition like India it is 3 months only. The major climatic factor in tropical climate which plays a crucial role in quick degradation of DDT & other designated persistent organic pesticides are sun light particularly Ultra-Violet Light , high temperature in tropics which are more intense in tropical & sub tropical zone than in temperate zone, aggravated pesticide losses much -much faster than temperate climate. Heavy rain and flooding of soil which is a predominant feature of tropical climate favors the development of anaerobic micro organism which accelerate the degradation of persistent organic pesticide like DDT. It is also to be mentioned that unlike other pesticides, DDT shows decrease of Toxicity in elevated temperature, which prevails in tropical climate. This is called Negative Temperature co-efficient.

Rachel Carson wrongly mentioned in her Silent Spring that DDE, the allegedly non- toxic metabolite of DDT, is responsible for egg shell thinning in the peregrine and a number of other species of bird. This conclusion is based on feeding experiments & on analysis of eggs from various areas. The situation is further complicated by the different reaction of different bird species. Fed with DDE the Bengalesefinch actually produces thicker eggshell (Edward, J. G. 1971). The eggshells of gallinaceous species such as quail, pheasant and the domestic hen often used in laboratory experiments are relatively unaffected. It has been reported that pollutant like mercury, lead etc are responsible for eggshell thinning in wild, NOT DDT(Tucker, R.K 1971).

Two months feeding of 20 ppm dietary DDT to Albino mice neither produce any change in enzymatic activity of Lactate-dehydrogenase , alkaline-Phosphatase & total protein- nor any Histopathological changes were observed in Liver (Banerjee ,B.D. 1982)

It is perhaps interesting to note that therapeutic uses for DDT have been discovered. A 17 years old patient had suffered from a genetically determined. Jaundice from his 13th year of his age. He was given a daily dose of 90 mg of DDT for six months. His high plasma bilirubin of 6 mg /100 ml fell to 1 mg/100 ml not only during course of treatment, but remain low for nearly 7 months even after it was discontinued. The therapeutic effect of the DDT is apparently operative because it increase the production of the enzyme glucuronyl- transferase, which enables the bilirubin to be conjugated with glucuronide acid and execrated as diglucuronide with the bile. No side effect of the DDT treatment were noticed and liver function tests and routine hematological tests remained normal. The DDT metabolite DDE which is formed in warm blooded organism has also been found valuable in treating the rare disease of inoperable adrenal cortical carcinoma.

Perhaps the most convincing fact, regarding high exposure to DDT is that since 1942, millions of people have been exposed to this insecticide for various public health purposes, without any details or any record of serious illness.

The fact that DDT residue in human milk exceeds that of ADI has no consequences for the health of a child since the intake is limited to the short lactation period and does not continue for life time. There have been reports of DDT being a possible mutagen. In the Ames test, DDT proved completely negative with and without metabolic activation & the same applies to dominant lethal tests in mice. The

General conclusion is that DDT is most unlikely to produce any mutagenic effects (WHO 1979 ).

Carcinogenicity studies in rats gave inconclusive result and were negative in Hamsters even high doses (Agthe et.al 1970 & Cabral et.al 1982). During the period when DDT was widely used in USA the total rate of Liver Cancer deaths fell and not increased. The situation is similar in other countries where DDT is being extensively used. There has been no increase in worldwide liver injuries or of liver Cancer. Based on an evaluation of all available data from animal studies, observations in man, epidemiological studies and Cancer statistics, an expert group of WHO came to the conclusion that after so many years of introduction of DDT there is no evidence, what so ever, that DDT is carcinogenic in man (WHO 1979).

Three generation of reproductive studies on Dogs fed with DDT found no significant differences between control & treated at length of gestation period, fertility, success of pregnancy, sizes of litter, lactation ability of mother, viability at birth, sex distribution, growth of pups, morbidity, mortality, organ/body wt ratio and histological abnormalities in all the animals studied. Only difference was that DDT treated females had their first oestrus two to three months earlier the control animal (Ottoboni et.al. 1977)

DDT is considered as the best tool used in anti-malaria campaigns and other vector control programme throughout the world. It saves millions of people from getting malaria every year. DDT is still the safest & least hazardous insecticide in handling & its application. All the criticism alleging that DDT has had an alarming impact on the environment, including human is completely unrealistic.

World Health Organization(WHO) expert committee report on DDT found no convincing evidence of long term adverse effect of DDT exposure as a result of Indoor Residual Spray and also there is no conclusive scientific report on adverse effect of DDT on human health. WHO in their recent announcement called for malaria endemic countries to use DDT more in malaria fight.

Lastly it is important to quote the statement of Dr. Arata Kochi, WHOs malaria chief “We must take a position based on the science and the data. One of the best tools we have against malaria is indoor residual housing spraying. Of the dozen insecticides WHO has approved as safe for house spraying , the most effective is DDT”.

REFERENCES :

Agthe, C., H. Garcia, P. Shubik, L. Tomatis, & E.Wenyon: Study of the potential carcinogenicity of DDT in the Syrian Golden Hamster. Proc.Soc.Exp.Biol.134, 113 (1970).

Banerjee, B. D : DDT and its metabolites in body fat and liver of albino mice. J.com.Dis (1982).

Cabral, J.R.P., L.Rossie, S.A. Bronczyk and P. Shubik: Lack of carcinogenicity of DDT in hamsters. Tumori 68, 11 (1982).

Edwards, J.G : No effect caused by DDT on birds or their egg shells. Chemical and Engineering News. Aug. 16. (1971).

Ottoboni, A., G. D. Bissel, and A.C Hexter: Effects of DDT on reproduction in multiple generations of Beagle dogs. Arch. Environ.Contam. Toxicol. 6, 83 (1977).

Tucker, R.K : Other pollutants may cause thin egg shells. Utah Science, pp 47-49, (June 1971).

World Health Organization : Environmental health criteria 9 : DDT and its derivatives.WHO, Geneva, 194 pp (1979).

The article you posted seems kinda Junk to me. It hardley even metions DDE which is what causes the egg shell problem. As of 2000 the mechanism has been found....look it up. It stops calcium fixation.

Also, they mention DDT in the breast milk when in fact DDE is ONLY secreted in breast milk as it is stored in fat.

Imagine that, an article on junk science is actually junk.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 11:03:03 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
the comming ice age

overpopulation

Poverty causes crime

Guns cause crime

DDT scares

DR. TIRTHANKAR BASU.

REFERENCES :

The article you posted seems kinda Junk to me. It hardley even metions DDE which is what causes the egg shell problem. As of 2000 the mechanism has been found....look it up. It stops calcium fixation.

Also, they mention DDT in the breast milk when in fact DDE is ONLY secreted in breast milk as it is stored in fat.

Imagine that, an article on junk science is actually junk.  

Face it bro, you got fuckin owned.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 11:07:13 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
The hole is still there. It varies in size, and theres no strong agreement on what influences it.

It is a fact that CFC's do break down ozone, and very efficiently. Regardless of what natural influences there are on ozone levels, it's clear that humans can be a very strong one. We really don't want to cause any trouble with the ozone layer, so cfc's are still a no-no.

-Local

Bullshit.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 11:14:08 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The hole is still there. It varies in size, and theres no strong agreement on what influences it.

It is a fact that CFC's do break down ozone, and very efficiently. Regardless of what natural influences there are on ozone levels, it's clear that humans can be a very strong one. We really don't want to cause any trouble with the ozone layer, so cfc's are still a no-no.

-Local

Bullshit.

You gonna back that up?????

Because NASA disagrees with you.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 11:15:16 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Local

Bullshit.

And we all know NASA is infallible, right?

Link Posted: 8/10/2007 11:15:52 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Power plants installed SO2 scrubbers, mitigating the problem.

Which I'm sure was perfectly followed in every country on Earth,  correct?

Every powerplant, THEY ARE BUILDING EVERY WEEK, in China has the shit, right?

Link Posted: 8/10/2007 11:17:50 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Local

Bullshit.

So you are more qualified??

I am just curious as to what instrument you currently have in your house, you know, since you can observe the Ozone layer and all.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 11:24:00 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Local

Bullshit.

I am just curious as to what instrument you currently have in your house, you know, since you can observe the Ozone layer and all.

I am qualified to realize that NASA is not god and they are not infallible. I am qualified to see that you like to take a position of authority, yet no one here knows anyone else, so why should anyone listen to you?
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 11:26:04 PM EDT
[#42]
So we've established that CFCs break down O3 right?  Well then, the next time we have an ozone action day I'm busting into my stash of pre-ban 80s hair spray and fixing the problem.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 11:27:44 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
the comming ice age

Capitialization and punctuation are your friends.

overpopulation

OK, what is your point.  China, the largest country can still feed itself just fine.

Poverty causes crime

Bullshit.  In the past people were poorer and even poorer in relative terms, yet crime was lower.

Guns cause crime

Agree.

Agree, go to a third world shithole capital and walkaround the busy streets.  I'm glad we have those regs.

DDT scares

Maybe that is true.  But a total ban is stupid.  It could be very useful in some areas.

Russian .gov fuckup.  Reason #5867 to not elect socialists and have .gov run shit. Would not happen here.  

Only should be used if self sustaining or nearly self sustaining.  Using hundereds of thousands of $$ to subsidize it per year is stupid.

Very debatable.  IMO Rec drug use is worse.

I guess being a public school student means you don't think for your......  well you get the point.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 11:28:43 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Local

Bullshit.

I am qualified to realize that NASA is not god and they are not infallible. I am qualified to see that you like to take a position of authority, yet no one here knows anyone else, so why should anyone listen to you?

So NASA was wrong the whole time? They literally made the whole thing up??? Let me get this straight. You think NASA is soooo incompetent that they literally messed the WHOLE ozone thing up???

Nobody forces you to listen to me, or respond to my posts for that matter.

Link Posted: 8/10/2007 11:29:55 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Local

Bullshit.

NASA has been taken over by libs and bureaucrats.  Remember the guy that spoke out about GW and got beat down and had to retract?
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 11:31:18 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Local

Bullshit.

I make sure to help out by mowing my lawn on really hot days.  And fueling my car during the same time peroid.  

That IS what they mean by ozone alerts isn't it?  There isn't enough ozone in the sky.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 11:32:25 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Local

Bullshit.

So NASA was wrong the whole time? They literally made the whole thing up??? Let me get this straight. You think NASA is soooo incompetent that they literally messed the WHOLE ozone thing up???

Nobody forces you to listen to me, or respond to my posts for that matter.

NASA is a bureacracy that has to fight for money.  Dire Earth killing causes get money thrown at them.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 11:38:26 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Local

Bullshit.

NASA has been taken over by libs.  Remember the guy that spoke out about GW and got beat down and had to retract?

OK, but that doesnt make the data any less incorrect. The original poster asked about the ozone hole and it IS still there. As to what effect it is having on climate or anything else....I have no idea. Is it caused by CFC's? probably. Is there maybe some natural aspects that may cause it? Probably. Your political affiliation doent mean anything in science. Only when you get into the political aspects. Not the actual data.

As a side note: I often wonder if a republican canidate was as outspoken as Al Gore about GW, and if Al Gore didnt exist, how ARFCOM would approach GW. I imagine it would be MUCH different. So in a way I guess I do kinda see your point that political affiliation does control your scientific thoughts, only not in the way you were trying to show.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 11:39:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Why totally discount the warnings just because the media blows them way out of proportion?

If it bleeds it leads right?  Well the media wants to tell you how you will die tommorow so you watch their story tonight.

that does not make the science shit.  It just means the media overstated (shocker) the actual danger.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 11:39:45 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Local

Bullshit.

I make sure to help out by mowing my lawn on really hot days.  And fueling my car during the same time peroid.  

That IS what they mean by ozone alerts isn't it?  There isn't enough ozone in the sky.

I get the sarcasm, but it was still funny. Probably because there are people that actually think that.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top