Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/23/2004 1:52:48 PM EDT
We have a 3 year old and 1 year old and starting to think about a family dog.
What are some suggestions from the cat haters dog lovers here in regards to a family dog?
Criteria:
Loyal, good with kids, lots of teeth and some ass to back it up.  Nothing too big and nothing small.....
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:53:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I like Akidas.  Nice friendly pooches.  Golden retrievers are so eager to please their masters it is a little unsettling.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:54:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a Lab.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:54:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Belgian Malinois could fill that role...or for something more docile, a German Shepherd is always a good family dog choice. Biggest drawback with Malinois is they need plenty of space and need ot be worked with regularly.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:54:42 PM EDT
[#4]
English Setter

I'm not biased or anything though!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:55:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Golden Retriever.  The only worry is that overbreeding has caused some health problems, but they are great dogs.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:56:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Papillon.

Here is mine, Ops.

Only seven pounds, but it is all muscle.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:57:52 PM EDT
[#7]
One of the retriever breeds or a boxer. Best bet 90% of the time.

But don't pass up a good mannered mutt.

A lot of vets will tell you that purebreed dogs are more prone to maladies like skin diseases, etc. than mutts are. Might want to keep that in mind with a couple of "new ones" that can get pricey themselves.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:58:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Hard to beat a Lab as a family dog... except maybe a mutt.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:58:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I like Akidas.  Nice friendly pooches.  

Agreed.  They are fiercely loyal and protective of family, and awesome with children.  AkiTas are also VERY tough.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:58:56 PM EDT
[#10]
go to the dog pound, plenty of dogs there needing a home
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:00:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:00:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm partial to Standard Poodles...the 60lb ones...No shedding and they are smart!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:03:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

A BIG +1  
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:03:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a mini schnauzer lots of fun and no shedding, I lucked out, he was a pound puppy
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:04:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I'm partial to Standard Poodles...the 60lb ones...No shedding and they are smart!

+1,........ thou the small ones are smart too..... 4 and a half months and house trained alredy
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:05:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Get a Lab.

+2

We have one on the way. Puppies are due September 1st and we have pick of a female.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:05:29 PM EDT
[#17]
German Shepherd!  We have two - absolutely great with little kids, well mannered, and smart.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:08:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:09:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
German Shepherd!  We have two - absolutely great with little kids, well mannered, and smart.

+1   Shepards are great!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:19:21 PM EDT
[#20]
+1 Lab. I have had some very bad experiences with "pound Dogs" One bit my son on the face. That was the last time he did anything. We have a pure bred black lab, 9 months old. Very smart. Does absolutely great with the kids (6& 10) and has a bark that will make anyone think twice, until they give him a steak
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:22:22 PM EDT
[#21]
I've heard a lot of good things about Bullmastiff. will be my next dog.

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:22:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Get a Golden from a breeder who has a line of hunters. You will get a great field dog and  a gentle house pet . Believe me they will defend you and your childern. I have seen one in in action aginst a bg. If you can't get a Hunting Golden get a Lab.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:24:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:30:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Whatever you get, pay good money for it. Don't just get something you can toss in the back yard and ignore because it didn't cost very much (please respect your neighbors, barking dogs suck to live next to).

Buy a book on breed comparisons, one that actually has bad things to say about breeds, not like the American Kennel Club.

If you buy from a breeder, get a temperment test or know what you are looking for. Does the dog think he is in charge or you are in charge? Does the dog feel pain, mine doesn't and it makes him very psychologically stable, but he likes to play rough . Is he confident or fearful, hyper or laid back, etc.....

I have a German Shepherd, and he is awesome. I trained his but off too. He is CD certified with two first place, one second place, and one fourth place finish in obedience competitions. He has a low maintenance coat, and that is because he grows a new one every week (sheds constantly).

Also, I reccomend a shock collar for training.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:32:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Our Weimaraner makes a fine dog-Say howdy BOOMER
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:35:38 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Our Weimaraner makes a fine dog-Say howdy BOOMER
www.hunt101.com/img/200611.jpg

ack! zombie dog!(the white eyes)

well we have a dacshund she is verey frendley and barks at almost any one she thos not know but if you want a big dog get a Golden retrver a Black lab or a German Shepherd and have them tranid

and look out for cops
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:39:18 PM EDT
[#27]
I have you know they are amber, my photography skills suck, but at least I didnt get the red eyes
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:46:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Golder Retreiver , friendliest dog you will ever see.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:47:09 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a 4 year old Chocolate Lab(supposedly the most stubborn of the three colors), who is absolutely awesome with our new borns (twins).  That dog was our first "child."  He is very aware of the babies, and if there is a knock at the door, always palces himself between the door and babies, until we see who it is.  Damn smart too, we can't even spell w-a-l-k, r-id-e, or t-r-e-a-t anymore without him picking up on it.  Code word time I quess.

Lab puppies do need a lot of chew toys and exercise.  Had some friends who had a 1 year pup chew thru its kennel and the floor to get out.  Dog wasn't socialized enough IMO.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:02:00 PM EDT
[#30]
My last dog was a (13 when he died) Lab mix (looked like a black golden retriever) and my current kid is a (4yr)Blk. Lab. I have no kids of my own but this dog (and the last one) is exceptional with kids. I trust him around my 2 yr. old gran-nephew completely. Bigger dogs aren't intimidated by little kids, they'll walk away or growl but very, very rarely bite unless the kid does something real stupid. Labs (black or yellow, I personaly think chocoates are boneheads), golden retrievers, shepards are all good choices. My next one (not to soon I hope) will be another lab or a german shepard.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:15:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Don't get a dog...it will take your money and leave you with POO.

Seriously, I would wait until the kids were older say 5'ish and they can take part in the care of the animal.

MT

If you have to get one...the best in my opinion are Cattledogs...Tough lil poops and they are named after Steak!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:22:43 PM EDT
[#32]
I have to give a vote fora Golden also. Great dogs.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:28:06 PM EDT
[#33]
My dad didn't let me have a dog till I was 10 and it was one dog only. You probably should be asking yourself a bunch of questions like Do own a house or live in apt, back yard or no back yard, Do I want a super obdient dog, shedding, medical problems, blah, blah, blah. Plenty of dog decision web sites out there.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:29:15 PM EDT
[#34]
BOXER

Thats my vote. They are smart, outgoing, very intelligent, and good with kids. I had a Boxer as a kid and she was the best dog ever. I gave her hell, wrestling with her and such. But she was paitent and smart. And loved me and the other kids. Boxers are great, they are loving awesome pets and scary enough to keep away salesman.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:29:42 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1,........ thou the small ones are smart too..... 4 and a half months and house trained alredy

Hold it - we have two poodles and a Great Dane.  This is how smart they are - the old poodle has the great dane pull food off tables, countertops, etc, then she divides it between the three of them!  No shit.  The old poodle is the leader and she gives me absolute hell.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:44:26 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A BIG +1  

another vote for the pound. Just rescued a couple of lil pooches myself. A 7 wk old border collie and a 7 wk old border terrier (of course they are mixed). Should be able to pic them up this Wednesday. Pics to follow :D
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:45:30 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Get an adult Lab.

There, fixed it for ya. ou don't wanna unleash the 'puppy jaws of death and destruction to all of the material possesions you hold dear', on him without full disclosure, do ya?

Lab puppies will chew anything and everything...for two full years or more!

True (personal) Story Time...

Had a lab pup, about 6 months old or so. I needed some phone service added, so the phone guy comes out and has some super-duper double deadly epoxy he is using to splice lines. The odg, Gunnar, begins to sniff the epoxy bag and the repair guy warns me, "...that stuff is DEADLY to dogs", and sure enough Gunnar wolfs down the entire bag.

I go into emergency mode and rush his young butt to the Vet's and prepare for the worst to include euthanasia. The vet gives Gunnar no chance for survival as this epoxy will kill his kidneys. I am pretty bummed and we decide the dog should stay at the vet one night and we will decide what to do with him in the morning.

Well, we go back to the vet and there is Gunnar, grinning and wagging his tail, happy to see me. I check with the vet and he is amazed that 20 plus ounces of this super duper epoxy did not kill this dog. It seems he had an epoxyfied BM that am and while he yelped a bit when he passed it, he had been doing fine ever since.

This dog also would eat the middle out of a Coke can and poop out the chewed up metal. Wierd!

+3 or 4 for the Labs!  I've got a large healthy 9 1/2 year old 125 lb Chocolate Lab sitting next to me right now. He was never big on chewing anything he wasn't supposed to but as a pup he did eat a couple of  100 watt light bulbs. Didn't hurt him at all, when I told the vet he just shrugged.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:47:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Lab
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:52:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Yellow Lab or Golden Retriever.

If you get a pound dog, get it young. I got a Rottie from the pound that had a strong prey drive!!!
Great around the the kids and a loyal protector. But, she ate the neighbors cat on Easter.

You just can't beat a good retriever for a family pet!!!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:55:01 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Lab

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:06:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Get a Lab or retriever.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:08:32 PM EDT
[#42]
<--------------this guy loved his family, and would protect his boys unconditionally....although he was

hyper....

Pilk
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:56:52 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Good with children?

There is only ONE true, blue American answer, and Charles M. Schultz knew it:

Beagles!

Eric The(BeagleOwnerInThePast)Hun

+1
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:01:22 PM EDT
[#44]
I wouldn't get a large male Alaskan Malamute.<G>

German Shepards can be good dogs if you work with them.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
We have a 3 year old and 1 year old and starting to think about a family dog.
What are some suggestions from the cat haters dog lovers here in regards to a family dog?
Criteria:
Loyal, good with kids, lots of teeth and some ass to back it up.  Nothing too big and nothing small.....

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:04:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Another vote for a well bred Golden .

Lab would be a second choice , but I've seen some that play to rough with small children
when they run .
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:05:17 PM EDT
[#46]
If you want to wait till around christmas I'll sell you a basset hound, or at least my sister will and I'll get a kickback .  She breeds AKC registered ones, raised with kids.  They are smart, good watch dogs, well tempered, but my god the slobber

Or get a lab
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:07:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Golden Retriever... can't beat em!  Super friendly... love to play....  good with kids.

- BUCC_Guy

OK.. labs arent bad
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:09:35 PM EDT
[#48]
I'd say a samoyed, they're really friendly, don't bite.

Problems are they aren't cuddling dogs and they're VERY high maintence between their fluffy white coats and needing exercize.

I'd be inclinded to say wait a few years. I lost my dog of 15 years almost a year ago and still miss her horribly. :(

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:21:18 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I like Akidas.  Nice friendly pooches.

Not to start a war, but I've heard that Akitas can get kind of nasty. A few years ago I saw a girl that got attacked by one in the face, chest, and scalp. Not pretty.

I have a larger than normal build Shetland Sheepdog. I swear he was cross bred with a Collie. He weighs almost 50 pounds with little fat, but a big build. Other than that he is a normal Shetland. They are great dogs. I would not hesitate to get one for my kids when i have them. They are well tempered, good watchdogs, and have all kinds of other good traits. Check them out. ETA if i didnt get one I would get a Golden Retriever instead.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:34:30 PM EDT
[#50]
My daughter has been around our relatives dogs very often and to be perfectly honest, Labs have always been kind to her and the other kids around them. They are also very active and fun dogs for children to grow up with, but they tend to jump on the kids alot. They are only trying to show that they are the "boss," or be playful, but it gets really annoying to have to run and pull the dog off the kids over and over again. Shi' tzu's seem very loyal and sweet, but small and obnoxious. The best dog we've seen in our family with kids is a Beagle. They love to play, have alot of energy, think they are one of the kids, but know their limits (or at least accept their limits). I have never had to tell a Beagle more than once to get off of the kids. I am of course only talking about small children and cannot tell yet what a Lab would be like with a ten year old, but you get my drift. And for all the Lab lovers out there, don't get all pissy now. I am only giving the dogs in our cirlce of family and friends as an example. edited for spelling.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top