Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/5/2005 5:15:28 PM EDT
Does it mean they went to the best law schools or graduated with honors?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:21:09 PM EDT
Queen's Counsel have been around for the past 400 years. By the latter half of the sixteenth century, it became clear that the Queen's Attorney and the Queen's Solicitor could not by themselves perform all of the duties their offices imposed upon them.For that reason, a body of "Queen's Counsel" (or alternatively, "King's Counsel," as the period may dictate), arose to assist the Sovereign. Sir Francis Bacon became the first counsel to the Sovereign during the reign of Elizabeth I. He never pretended that his appointment was anything other than honorary, but upon her death he obtained a formal appointment by letters patent from King James.

Queen's Counsel were appointed to give assistance and advice to the law officers of the Crown. They were often consulted in capital cases and in "cases of state." In a sense, at least at this stage, Queen's Counsel were expected to become advocates on behalf of the Sovereign. For this reason, they could not appear against the Crown without a licence from the Crown, a disability that, in England, continued until well into the twentieth century.

Google is your friend.

G
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:24:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2005 5:28:41 PM EDT by Lord_Grey_Boots]
The term is used up in Canada some really top flight lawyers have that appointment.

I always took it as "good enough to be awarded a consulting contract with the government on really important stuff"...

I think I have a great uncle who is a QC.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:25:50 PM EDT

What is a QC?

A limited number of senior barristers are made Queen's Counsel as a mark of outstanding ability. They are normally instructed in very serious or complex cases. Most senior judges once practised as QCs.

Bar Council

similar to 'By Appointment to the Queen" but for Barristers (lawyers).

daddyDett
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:36:52 PM EDT
how did you come up with that question.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:49:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By tigerscratch:
how did you come up with that question.

I first heard the term watching the Australian movie "The Castle", where a high-powered lawyer takes up the hero's case against the government in an emine t domain case.

The movie character said something like "QC means he's a high-class lawyer" That much I understand. I just want to know what it means, exactly. We dont have explicit classes of lawyers in the US.
Top Top