Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2006 8:30:13 PM EDT
My son is being slotted for lineman position in 8 man football.  Last year he played [very well] defensive and offensive end.  I'm just trying to educate myself on what his position is.

Patty
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 8:31:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 8:31:54 PM EDT
[#2]
They climb up power poles and work on live wires... Oh wait, not THAT kind of line man
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 8:32:36 PM EDT
[#3]
 1000 comedians out of you work and you're cracking jokes?  
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 8:36:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Since no one else has bitten...

I bet you son is pretty big. I was a lineman on the football team in High School. I was the big bulky slow kid. A lineman plays next to the center (who snaps the ball) or on defense. They on offense block the quarter back and make holes for others to run through.

On defense the lineman only want to tackle the QB or the guy with the ball.

Basically he will be on the line and taking the big hits!
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 8:36:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Basically he positions himself with a few others in a line in front of the quarterback and running backs and protects them once the ball is hiked so that the QB and RBs can run what ever play they are trying to do.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 8:45:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Basically he positions himself with a few others in a line in front of the quarterback and running backs and protects them once the ball is hiked so that the QB and RBs can run what ever play they are trying to do.

Correct, he's going to protect the ball handlers, or try to tackle one. A "grunt" of the football field.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 8:47:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I bet you son is pretty big. I was a lineman on the football team in High School. I was the big bulky slow kid. A lineman plays next to the center (who snaps the ball) or on defense. They on offense block the quarter back and make holes for others to run through.

Basically he will be on the line and taking the big hits!

Humm...I suppose my son is now considered a big 'man'  Last year it was so fun watching him sack the quarter back and to play little offensive shuffles [my wording -- where he would run a little play and score a touch down].

I would rather him stay in the position he was.  He is one of the faster kids.  Not the fastest but one of top 5.

Patty
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 8:51:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Patty the easiest way to explain it is an analogy:

If you picture the line of scrimmage (where the ball is placed, between the two teams) as the East German border. A lineman is basically playing the role of East German border patrol. Nobody from the other side gets across. NOBODY! This is not to be confused with US Border Patrol who tries to make the other side feel welcome back in the pocket with the quarterback.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 8:51:09 PM EDT
[#9]
They gotta keep the opposing team from rushing the QB and/or help create space for runners.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 8:53:02 PM EDT
[#10]
okay, I've got it.  I kind of figured that but I was hoping a linebacker might play deep such as a safety or something.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 8:53:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
 Humm...I suppose my son is now considered a big 'man'  Last year it was so fun watching him sack the quarter back and to play little offensive shuffles [my wording -- where he would run a little play and score a touch down].

I would rather him stay in the position he was.  He is one of the faster kids.  Not the fastest but one of top 5.

Patty

If your son is big AND fast, he doesn't belong on the line. If it's highschool football, he's probably been squeezed out of his postion by a kid who parents have some pull with the coach/school system and want their kid in a more glamorous position.

High school football is funny that way.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 8:55:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Patty

If your son is big AND fast, he doesn't belong on the line. If it's highschool football, he's probably been squeezed out of his postion by a kid who parents have some pull with the coach/school system and want their kid in a more glamorous position.

Its difficult to say.  Its a small school and my son is now one of the biggest in the school.  He's 6'5 -- 200 now.  Last year he was 6'3 140.  Anyone want to trade grocery bills?
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 8:57:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Patty

Its difficult to say.  Its a small school and my son is now one of the biggest in the school.  He's 6'5 -- 200 now.  Last year he was 6'3 140.  Anyone want to trade grocery bills?

If he's that size AND fast, he should be either a linebacker or a receiver.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 8:59:43 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Patty

If he's that size AND fast, he should be either a linebacker or a receiver.

There is only one boy that is bigger than Will and I believe he plays center.  There are three other boys faster than Will and they all play some sort of carrier of the ball.  I do not think with 8 man they have wide receivers.  More running backs [or half backs] that catch the ball [very limitedly, most of the plays are running plays].

Patty
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 9:44:21 PM EDT
[#15]
line positions are not fawned over like the ball handling positions, and they are the least understood. line positions are easily the most technical and physically demanding. i cant overstate how technical these positions are. footwork, stance, timing and motivation in the line are absolutely essential. your kid wont excel on the line on talent alone, and he will not survive if he doesnt have some size and physicality.

moneyball (pro football) lines have been reduced to packs of the largest apes the NFL can find, with a few notable exceptions. however, in college and high school ball, the entire play revolves around how well the line (3-6 men, depending on formation and offense/defense) functions as a single mechanical unit. a good offensive line will stomp all over a team with a weak defensive line, but it wont be apparent why the offense is winning to the casual observer because its the running backs and receivers who are scoring touchdowns.

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 9:56:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Lineman or linebacker? They are not interchangable.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 9:58:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Honestly Patty, I wouldn't worry about it.  The more different kinds of positions he plays now the better rounded he will be later.  While he may be in the top 5 in terms of speed now, at higher levels of play that isn't going to happen.  Linemen aren't just big grunts like they used to be.  Alot of them are smaller and faster guys.  The game has evolved.  Just make sure he continues to have fun.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 10:02:19 PM EDT
[#18]
I played center.  Linemen basically kick ass and take names.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 5:20:13 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Honestly Patty, I wouldn't worry about it.  The more different kinds of positions he plays now the better rounded he will be later.  While he may be in the top 5 in terms of speed now, at higher levels of play that isn't going to happen.  Linemen aren't just big grunts like they used to be.  Alot of them are smaller and faster guys.  The game has evolved.  Just make sure he continues to have fun.

Oh I have no hopes/desires of my son playing college ball or going futher in his football career.  It was really fun watching him last year and I was looking forward to that this year.  I'm sure it'll still be fun who knows?  

What is the difference between a lineman and a linebacker?  As I have heard the coach say both to William.

Patty
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 5:22:50 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh I have no hopes/desires of my son playing college ball or going futher in his football career.  It was really fun watching him last year and I was looking forward to that this year.  I'm sure it'll still be fun who knows?  

What is the difference between a lineman and a linebacker?  As I have heard the coach say both to William.

Patty

Linebacker plays behind the linemen of defensive team.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 5:26:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 5:29:32 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Basically he will be on the line and taking DELIVERING the big hits!

Corrected the very large mistake.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 5:30:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Thank you.  That is what I thought they did.  I was hoping that the safety was considered a Linebacker - I'd like to see him upright and back some but this is a small school and only two senior boys.

Patty
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 6:22:00 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
line positions are not fawned over like the ball handling positions, and they are the least understood. line positions are easily the most technical and physically demanding. i cant overstate how technical these positions are. footwork, stance, timing and motivation in the line are absolutely essential. your kid wont excel on the line on talent alone, and he will not survive if he doesnt have some size and physicality.

moneyball (pro football) lines have been reduced to packs of the largest apes the NFL can find, with a few notable exceptions. however, in college and high school ball, the entire play revolves around how well the line (3-6 men, depending on formation and offense/defense) functions as a single mechanical unit. a good offensive line will stomp all over a team with a weak defensive line, but it wont be apparent why the offense is winning to the casual observer because its the running backs and receivers who are scoring touchdowns.

Denver Broncos
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 6:23:10 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
"I am a lineman for the county..."
First think I thought, too!
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 6:36:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Having played 8 man in the USMC and coached it there and then with the little league types in Wyoming ... un-balanced lines tend to confuse the defense ...

8 man balanced line... end,guard,center,guard, end

8 man un-balanced line..  end,center,guard,tackle,end... like using half of a 11 man team...

Of course the flow tends to go the way of hte strength ... but can be reversed after a few plays once everybody thinks it is going the other way ...

Ted...
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 6:37:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Here's a easy overview of the basic positions Patty.

OFFENSIVE:

Quarterback
The player who receives the ball from the center at the start of each play before either handing it to the running back, throwing it to a receiver, or running with it himself.

The quarterback is usually the player in charge of running the offense on the field. He is also the guy that usually informs the offense of the play while in the huddle.

Halfback (running back)
An offensive player who lines up in the backfield and generally is responsible for carrying the ball on run plays. A running back's primary role is to run with the football, he is also used as a receiver at times.

Fullback
An offensive player who lines up in the offensive backfield and generally is responsible for run-blocking for the halfback and pass-blocking for the quarterback.
Sponsored Links

Wide Receiver
An offensive player who lines up on or near the line of scrimmage, but split to the outside. His primary job is to catch passes from the quarterback.

Tight End
An offensive player who serves as a receiver and also a blocker. The tight end lines up beside the offensive tackle either to the right or to the left of the quarterback.

Offensive Tackle
A member of the offensive line. There are two tackles on every play, and they line up on the outside of the offensive guards.

Offensive Guard
A member of the offensive line. There are two guards on every play, and they line up on either side of the offensive center.

Center
The offensive lineman who hikes (or snaps) the ball to the quarterback at the start of each play. The center lines up in the middle of the offensive line, between the offensive guards.

DEFENSIVE:

Defensive End
A defensive player who lines up at the end of the defensive line. The job of the defensive end is to contain the running back on running plays to the outside, and rush the quarterback on passing plays.

Defensive Tackle
A defensive player who lines up on the interior of the defensive line. The duties of a defensive tackle include stopping the running back on running plays, getting pressure up the middle on passing plays, and occupying blockers so the linebackers can roam free.

Nose Tackle
The defensive player who lines up directly across from the center. Also known as:the nose guard, the primary responsibilities of the nose tackle are to stop the run and occupy the offensive lineman to keep them from blocking the linebackers.

Linebacker
A defensive player who lines up behind the defensive linemen and in front of the defensive backfield.The linebackers are a team's second line of defense. Each team has two outside linebackers. In a 4-3 defense, teams have one inside linebacker, usually referred to as a middle linebacker. In a 3-4 defense teams have two inside linebackers.

Cornerback
A defensive back who generally lines up on the outside of the formation and is usually assigned to cover a wide receiver.

Safety
A defensive back who lines up in the secondary between, but generally deeper than the cornerbacks. His primary duties include helping the cornerbacks in pass coverage.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 6:50:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Thank you PBIR.  Is this the same for 8 man football?  I watched a fair amount of football in my day [used to be a very avid fan] but haven't watched it in a few years.  It seems the way they run the defense and offense on 8 man ball is way different than how they line up in professional football.  

Of course we're all side chair quarter backs right?  Even Mom on the side line in a matching team jersey with her son's name and number on it with a cow bell?
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:20:26 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Is this the same for 8 man football?  

In 8 man you usually take out the the defensive backs and the offensive tackles. I think the other slot lost is receiver on offense and maybe a defensive lineman but I don't think that part is set. It might be that you pull a cornerback on D if O loses a receiver...
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:25:08 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Is this the same for 8 man football?  

In 8 man you usually take out the the defensive backs and the offensive tackles. I think the other slot lost is receiver on offense and maybe a defensive lineman but I don't think that part is set. It might be that you pull a cornerback on D if O loses a receiver...

I believe you're right.  Our school is small and limited in tallent.  Last year our main running back most likely would have been a wide receiver anywhere else.  We do not play a lot of passing plays though [not sure if many high school teams do?] I never really understood the difference between a half back and a running back except it seemed as if the half back blocked more.  In 8 man ball they all block unless they're actually caring the ball [QB included].

Patty
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:46:04 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I never really understood the difference between a half back and a running back except it seemed as if the half back blocked more.

Half back and full back are BOTH running backs. The Fullback is usually the stout but slower of the two (so he is more likely to be used in a blocking role more often). The Halfback is usually the fleet footed fast guy (but not wide receiver fast) who is more likely run the ball more than the others.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:54:17 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I never really understood the difference between a half back and a running back except it seemed as if the half back blocked more.   [QB included].

Patty

Do you mean halfback and fullback? The fullback position is not what it once was in pro football. The fullback used to be the workhorse of the offense, a bull that would smash the ball straight up the middle, running over defensive players left and right.

Nowadays with the evolution of the game your fullback will usually work to open holes for the halfback (running back) or tight end since he has close to the speed and agility of a halfback but is much stronger. On passing plays he might either take a fake or strengthen the offensive pocket around the QB. He might occasionally be used as a ball carrier to change things up in a short yardage situation. Thankfully though in HS ball you can still sometimes see a fullback being used like in the good old days.

Link Posted: 8/22/2006 8:46:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Defenses are called by the number of down linemen and linebackers they have. For example, a 4-3 has four down linemen (players who are in a "down" position playing at the line of scrimmage) and three linebackers (players playing 3-5 yards off the line of scrimmage). A 5-2 has five down linemen and 2 linebackers, and so on.

Linebackers will prevent run plays (quarterback hands the ball to a fullback or halfback to run the ball) and 'nickel' and 'dime' pass plays(passes that are meant to get five to ten yard advance - nickel representing a 5-yard pass play and dime representing a 10-yard pass play). Cornerbacks and safeties are father away from the line of scrimmage and cover wide receivers.

If he's slotted for lineman, maybe because he's fast for the blitz. If he continues with football and he's still fast, he'll probably get moved to wide receiver (unless he's Mr. Butterfingers) or cornerback or fullback.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top