Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/1/2005 8:55:03 PM EDT
Just curious to know.

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:56:11 PM EDT
From what people have told me, Severe pain in the right arm and your chest will feel like a ton of bricks is sitting on it
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:56:15 PM EDT
Why dont you go to the ER and ask them?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:57:22 PM EDT
Hold in a powerful sneeze... that'll make you feel good.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:58:57 PM EDT
Crushing, continous chest pain that doesn't go away when you belch or change body positions. Pain may also extend into either arm, and/or into your jaw.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:59:49 PM EDT
I'm not having pains, just rather curious for my mother and father and I guess myself down the road....
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:01:02 PM EDT
If you think you may be having trouble - CALL 911 right away. Seriously, its better to be safe than sorry. The symptoms can be found at many websites ie. American Heart Association, Web MD, etc.. I hope you are just curious.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:01:25 PM EDT
possible nausea, sweating, impending feeling of doom..
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:01:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/1/2005 9:03:39 PM EDT by vanilla_gorilla]
It can very greatly. In a very few instances, sufferes reported no pain at all, just a squeezing in the chest. Some report arm or back pain, though most do report the feeling of extreme pain and squeezing in the chest. Occasionally, there are even complaints of numbness or stomach pain instead.

Forgot, clamminess and cold sweats, as well as hortness of breath can often be indicators. In fact, our training teaches us that chest pains and cold sweats together almost certainly indicate very bad things.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:02:48 PM EDT
I can answer that. I had a pain radiate from my left elbow all the way up to my shoulder, as well as a tightening of my jaw. All of this started before I had a massive pain in the left side of my chest right under and toward the middle of my ribcage, about an inch or so left of my sternum.

I went to the ER and the doc's put me on an ECG/EKG and bingo I was in the process of having a Myocardial Infarction or MI.

Not much fun hearing those words at 38!
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:04:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By andrew:

No that's just agreeing to an EE deal that is too good to be true.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:05:39 PM EDT
Not trying to be a a dick here, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but statistically the first symptom is sudden death in 50 % of the cases.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:09:08 PM EDT
Don't forget the obvious, chest pains. They feel like pressure pushing towards the outside in your rib cage. Not fun, trust me.

Shortness of breath.
Dizziness (lack of O2).
Sometimes the pain is on the opposite side of the body as the heart, dont ask me why.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:09:55 PM EDT
Can be very different for different people. Pain can show up in different areas, with different strengths. EKG's & blood tests are needed to confirm.

If you are worried about your folks, do what I did and take a First Responder or EMT-B course (often available at very reasonable cost through your local community college). That way, should it happen you will be able to do more than just call 911.

You should be able to assess if someone needs an ambulance, how to administer O2, do CPR and run an AED. That can buy precious time until the paramedics show up. It's not that tough, anyone can do it.

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:11:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AR10-A2:
Not trying to be a a dick here, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but statistically the first symptom is sudden death in 50 % of the cases.

Pretty much what happened to my grandfather. He was hiking with my dad who was young at the time and he said he was tired and sat down on a stump for a second then just fell over.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:22:39 PM EDT
My bosses Grandfather...Sittting in the chair.. Simply died.. No noise, gasping or anything.. Just gone..
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:24:46 PM EDT
I heard sometimes you feel like you have to take a dump.

Thats what happened to Elvis.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:25:35 PM EDT

Funny.. I feel that way everytime anti-gun legislation is proposed.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:30:33 PM EDT
It feels like your having a heart attack.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:35:09 PM EDT
My best friend was having pain in his jaw --- he was haing a heart attack! The pain can be almost anywhere in the circulatory system. The chest, arm, shoulders are the most common. Don't wait, go get checked out.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:48:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FredM:
I heard sometimes you feel like you have to take a dump.

Thats what happened to Elvis.

I believe Elvis was trying to take a dump, or evidently tried to hard to take one Patty
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:09:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/1/2005 10:09:56 PM EDT by bullsi]
I've had some pain in my chest, just left of mid-line and some pain in my left armpit off and on for a few months. I may go get checked out if it persists. It isn't any worse with exertion.After working 16 years in a hospital I tend to either minimize or ignore this kind of stuff but a friend died at 49 yrs old about 6mos ago and it spooked me a little. What's the least invasive but most accurate test for CAD? I worked in radiology and am not real interested in a heart cath or any invasive procedure unless necessary.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:16:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By bullsi:
I've had some pain in my chest, just left of mid-line and some pain in my left armpit off and on for a few months. I may go get checked out if it persists. It isn't any worse with exertion.After working 16 years in a hospital I tend to either minimize or ignore this kind of stuff but a friend died at 49 yrs old about 6mos ago and it spooked me a little. What's the least invasive but most accurate test for CAD? I worked in radiology and am not real interested in a heart cath or any invasive procedure unless necessary.

Maybe an echo or stress test?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:18:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/1/2005 10:22:42 PM EDT by EternalVigilance]
I am an American Heart Association BLS instructor. The first thing to know is that if you think that you or someone else may be experiencing a heart attack immediately phone 911, even if you aren't sure. Also be aware that for one reason or another the victim will often ask you not to call 911 and deny the severety of the situation. It is funny how sometimes people having a heart attack will not want you to call 911 just in case they aren't actually having one and they might get "embarrassed." If your not sure call, its better to be safe then sorry.

Symptoms include naseau, weakness / exhaustion, cold sweating, difficulty breathing, a feeling of tightness in the chest (often described as a feeling of someone sitting on your chest making it difficult to breath), moderate to sharp pain anywhere from your left hand and arm into your chest and up into your jaw. The red flag is pain and tightness in the chest. Again, if you aren't sure, CALL!

another thing to be aware of is that for one reason or another, older people and females often have less pronounced symptoms. Men are more likely to have the classic signs of a heart attack.

If someone complains of only pretty moderate chest pain and doesn't feel well, have them sit down and monitor them VERY closely. If there condition worsens AT ALL, IMMEDIATELY PHONE 911 and be ready to render assistance to them should they become incapacitated and go into cardiac arrest (this is where your heart pretty much stops or really quivers inneffectively and blood flow has ceased, this is followed by respiratory arrest i.e. they stop breathing).

This is where you call 911 because YOU HAVE to get an AED. After calling, you perform CPR in order to circulate oxygenated blood throughout the body in order to preserve the vital organs and increase the amount of time you have and the chances that they will be responsive to an AED and advanced medical care provided by the health care proffessionals. Without CPR, every minute that passes after a person goes into cardiac arrest before the AED gets there, their chances of survival decrease by 7-10%. CPR betters these odds, but this is why I say to get an AED. Most people would balk at this as they are about 1500 dollars easy, but the way I see it, 7-10% per minute is pretty fucking important.

The best thing for you to do is to have each of your parents, any other family that spends a lot of time in their company, and also yourself, take a CPR and AED instructional course. The day my parents turn 45 (I'm 23) I am going to convince them to purchase an AED for their home. I haven't been able to instruct them yet as I am stationed in Nebraska (USAF) and they are back home in New Mexico. But I will be getting around to it pretty soon next time they come up here where I have access to all the equipment.

Its just like anything else. Be prepared, better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:28:46 PM EDT

It feels like taking acid?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:31:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ctprelude:

Pretty much what happened to my grandfather. He was hiking with my dad who was young at the time and he said he was tired and sat down on a stump for a second then just fell over.

With all due respect....

Man, I hope I die that way. Out in the forest, sit down, and it's over.

Just hope my kids aren't with me.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:44:26 PM EDT

Man, I hope I die that way. Out in the forest, sit down, and it's over.

+1 and I hope I'm 90 and in the woods turkey hunting.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:58:23 PM EDT
When I had my first heart attack I was 42 Years old. It was around 10 degrees above, I was out cutting wood. I became verv nauseus, somewhat disorientated, I was sweating heavily and the pain in my back was incredible. I was stabalized locally and moved to Anchorage for my triple bypass. I had another last year (52 years old) this time I just collapsed. I hurt everywhere, I could breath but couldn't get my wind. I was taken to Anchorage where I got my pacemaker/defibilator combo pack.
None of this had to happen but like most men I am to tuff to go see the Doc.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:55:18 AM EDT
AED's are dropping in price also, with many units well under $1500 (see Philips HeartStart, Zoll, Defibtech, Welch and others. I am seriously considering getting one (along with Oxygen)

For anyone who hasn't taken CPR recently, you really owe it to yourself (and those you care about) to take a course. Things have changed quite a bit over the years (I took FR and now EMT roughly 25 years after taking my last CPR course) and the equipment is VERY easy to run.

AED info

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:35:01 AM EDT
Never ignore the symptoms or wait for them to go away. Back in the day when I worked on an ambulance we had a call for lady in her early 60's who had chest pain which she thought was indigestion and waited five hours for it to pass before calling EMS. Upon our arrival she was a walkie - talkie greeted us at the door and everything, once she told us her symptoms we knew. Took us all of five minutes to stairchair her out to the truck and get her packaged for transport. As soon as we got out to the truck we called for an ALS(advanced life support) intercept . Literally as soon as we left the ladies parking lot I heard my partner swearing and I knew what happened. With CPR started immediately, and defib and all the drugs given within 3 minutes of arrest. She still didn't make it. She 'd most likely be here today if she didn't try to tough it out.
Top Top