Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2003 7:46:40 AM EDT
My unemployed younger brother wants to get a job at the local Honda dealer as a salesman.He told me his friend is a salesman there and this year he pulled 100k. 100k seems like a lot for selling cars. Any validity to his claim??

Thanks and everyone have a safe/prosperous and happy new year.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:56:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Thats a lot of money selling cars, and a lot of cars sold.

New cars are typically about $150 per each, used cars is where the money is, I have seen up to $2000 commission on a used car/truck.

Spiffs help, and some give you a piece of the action if you take the customer on their trade.

Car sales suck, maybe LT will chime in on this.

dave
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:06:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I think it depends on how bad you are willing to screw people, I have a ex-friend who sell cars in chicago and his own family say they won't buy anything from him, last year he made over 100K.

Tom
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:09:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I know a car sales man who works at a Lexus dealer here in No VA and he makes 120K.  

I have a buddy who sells chevy's he makes 2K off each new corvette he sells.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:21:55 AM EDT
[#4]
To make $100K a year, around here anyway, a guy would have to move 7 or 8 cars a week if new, maybe only 4 or 5 a week if used. Many times, though, the salesman isn't in control of his own destiny with respect to how much of the total commission on the sale he's going to see, especially if he's new. I looked into selling cars once when I was "between jobs" and came to the conclusion that I'm far too honest and ethical to make a living at it. I'm not saying that all car salesmen are necessarily liars and/or crooks; I'm saying that the successful ones tend to be.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:29:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Great article in Edmunds about what it's like to be a car salesman. Highly recommended reading.

[url]http://netscape.edmunds.com/advice/buying/articles/42962/article.html[/url]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:40:12 AM EDT
[#6]
It is kinda tough to step in and make $100K selling cars with no experience or personal sales leads.

Salespeople with several years experience and years of previous sales leads can eventually make that kind of money. It will usually take 5-7 years to get to this level.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:40:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I know several people who make OVER $100,000 a year selling cars.  Its not easy and they are at the top of their field.  A first year salesmen with some talent can expect to make at least 30k his first year.

Managers in the car business can make anywhere from 60k-500k per year.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:41:37 AM EDT
[#8]
That is what my brother makes and he just started selling cars 8 months ago. He is woring at the largest VW dealership in the USA and has already made top salesman, he got the nack.

with all the incentives and bonuses it is easy if your good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top