Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2002 8:47:19 AM EDT
I just got through reading the airplane thread, and it reminded me I have never found the answer to what VMF stands for. You know like VMF 214.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 8:53:40 AM EDT
[#1]
OK, I've got the MF part (Marine Fighter squadron), but I have no idea what the V would stand for.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 9:00:33 AM EDT
[#2]
V= fixed wing
H= Helo
O= observation

The center "M" is always for Marine.

VMO = fixed wing, observation.

HMM = Helocopter Medium

HMA = Helo attack

HMH = helo, heavy
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 9:01:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 9:01:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Vicious Man Farting?
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 9:04:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 9:18:52 AM EDT
[#6]
V= Fixed Wing
M= Marine
F= Fighter

VMFA= Fixed Wing Marine Fighter All Weather (now all F-18's)

VMA= Fixed Wing Marine Attack (Harriers)

VMAQ= Fixed Wing Marine ECM (EA-6B)

Link Posted: 7/25/2002 10:33:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys. That explains why the v was so hard to figure out. It isn't spelling what it stands for.
So are F-14's considered fixed wing too?
And what are they going to call Osprey squadrons?
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 11:51:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
V= Fixed Wing
M= Marine
F= Fighter

VMFA= Fixed Wing Marine Fighter All Weather (now all F-18's)

VMA= Fixed Wing Marine Attack (Harriers)

VMAQ= Fixed Wing Marine ECM (EA-6B)

View Quote

And I always thought the "V" meant it was a Carrier based/capable squadron, as V in CV (Carrier) or CVN (Carrier-Nuclear).

Ain't ar15.com wonderful!
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 11:56:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks guys. That explains why the v was so hard to figure out. It isn't spelling what it stands for.
So are F-14's considered fixed wing too?
And what are they going to call Osprey squadrons?
View Quote

Actually, the Osprey is called the MV-22.
For now, they are still using the HMM designator
(Helo Marine Medium Lift)
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 12:06:31 PM EDT
[#10]
hydguy

you wouldn't be at Cherrypoint would you??
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 12:31:44 PM EDT
[#11]
It is amazing the thing's learned on this board. [smoke]
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 10:41:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
hydguy

you wouldn't be at Cherrypoint would you??
View Quote

I used to be. MWSG27, WES27, Utilities Section.
1979-1982.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 11:29:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

And I always thought the "V" meant it was a Carrier based/capable squadron, as V in CV (Carrier) or CVN (Carrier-Nuclear).

Ain't ar15.com wonderful!
View Quote

No, the V simply ment aviation, and specificly Heavier than Air aviation when it was introduced. Zepplens and blimps and their squadrons began with Z. When helicopters were introduced they got H. They didn't get to use A because A was already used.

Aircraft Carriers became CV instead of CA because CA was already the abbreviation for "Cruiser, Armored". And they could not be AC because "A" in the first position of a designation stood for "auxiliary" and was for non-combatant Naval ships like transports, tankers, coaliers and the like. AC may have in fact stood been the abbreviation for a coalier, have to check. There weren't many since we stopped using coal in ships about the same time we adopted this alpha-numeric numbering system.

At last word the Osprey was considered a VTOL aircraft and not a helicopter, so when they actually do enter service the squadrons will become VMM. But right now there is only one such squadron VMMT-204, as there are only 7 Ospreys at the moment, but 11 more are on the way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top