Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/19/2005 11:29:01 PM EDT
UV lights have always fascinated me.  So I ordered an Inova X5 UV light.  I will probably just play around with it.  I have seen the tv shows where they use the UV lights to find blood and body fluids.

Are there other things I can find and discover with a UV light?

What do other people here use there UV lights for?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:46:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Take it to a hotel and shine it on the comforter and floor.  I dare ya.  You are surrounded by cumshots.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:47:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Scorpions. They glow in UV light.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:48:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I use UV light to see if zombies are or were in the vicinity.
They leave traces of necrotic flesh.
Very easy to detect.
Works best in dry weather.
Doesn't work too well when its humid.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:50:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Take it to a hotel and shine it on the comforter and floor.  I dare ya.  You are surrounded by cumshots.

I didn't think of the hotel room.  I guess it's coming with me next time I stay in a motel to try it out.... god I hope I find a clean one
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 12:09:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Try looking at you ID/Driver license with it in the dark.  I don't know about your state, but in hawaii, there are a few things that can be seen very clearly with the light.    i've also heard you can see blood better so if you are hunting it can come in handy.  i think it can pick up cat pee.  i think cat pee glows in the dark with these lights.  not 100% on that one though.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 12:12:19 AM EDT
[#6]
cat pee would be handy! maybe I can find it at a friends house before I sit in it next time.  

Does our money have things we can see on it as well? I know it has the water marks on some of the bills but I don't know if they will light up with UV light or not.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 12:14:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Try looking at you ID/Driver license with it in the dark.  I don't know about your state, but in hawaii, there are a few things that can be seen very clearly with the light.    i've also heard you can see blood better so if you are hunting it can come in handy.  i think it can pick up cat pee.  i think cat pee glows in the dark with these lights.  not 100% on that one though.

California licenses have an CA flag that appears under UV.

Cat pee doesn't show up under UV. It is useful is indentifying which cat is pissing on your stuff, but only after you make them ingest a chemical that makes their urins UV sensitive.

Try this one - Get a $5, $10, $20, $50, and $100 bill and check out those interwoven strips under UV light.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 12:21:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I always bring mine when I go to a hotel. It's amazing what you can find, and where you find it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 12:26:24 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I always bring mine when I go to a hotel. It's amazing what you can find, and where you find it.

Do tell.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 12:28:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Weird
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 12:28:51 AM EDT
[#11]
so if the bed sheets are actually washed this stuff should not be there correct? Anyone ask to have clean sheets and inform them that you checked? Or is that not done?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 12:35:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I thought UV light wasn't visible to the naked eye?  How can you see anything with it unless it causes a material to emit visible light when exposed to UV?  Are you sure this "UV" light isn't a blacklight?  If it is truly a UV light, protect your eyes when using it.  Skin exposure isn't too good either, but not as bad.

from what I read online it can cause skin cancer so be careful with them.  eyes is a BIG no no.  the site I ordered it from had a warning about this even.  you can see visible violet/purple light along with the UV on most lights.  This is why they wear the goggle things on tv to cut out the visible light.  That is what I understand so far, but I was told you don't need the goggles unless you really have to make something stand out like if it's a crime scene or something.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 12:48:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Lets see if I remember some old physics...

UV is not visible to the naked eye, however it reacts with phosphors and other chemicals/molecules/materials that make it visible. The way it works on these materials is that the UV light passes through the atoms and excites the electrons, which use the energy to jump up an energy level (there are various energy levels/rings around all atoms). Thhe electron does not stay there, and quickly falls back to it's original ring and releases the stored energy as a visible light.

If I'm wrong here, someone correct me. It might be how black lights work and not UV. I'm pretty rusty on this stuff.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 12:57:32 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
so if the bed sheets are actually washed this stuff should not be there correct? Anyone ask to have clean sheets and inform them that you checked? Or is that not done?

Many times they don't wash comforters.  Also, watch where you step around that bed.  Don't forget to check before you sit on those chairs, which might have been used for "other" purposes.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 1:00:36 AM EDT
[#15]
how long does this stuff say phospherous? Is phospherous the correct way where it glows under UV light?

How do you know if something is semen, women vaginal fluid stuff, blood, urine, etc.  What are the different colors it will show up under UV light?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 1:22:40 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
how long does this stuff say phospherous? Is phospherous the correct way where it glows under UV light?

How do you know if something is semen, women vaginal fluid stuff, blood, urine, etc.  What are the different colors it will show up under UV light?

Who cares WHAT it is. If it glows, you don't wanna touch it
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 1:27:08 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who cares WHAT it is. If it glows, you don't wanna touch it

Exactly!  Although, certain "dispersal patterns" could help you discrimate certain fluids, yes?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 1:46:38 AM EDT
[#18]
hahaha I am hoping so.  But you never know what some people might do lol
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:11:05 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Well, you will certainly be able to find enough "evidence" to get a free night's stay from the hotel manager if you want.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:29:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Rodent droppings will fluoresce. Its amazing what you see in a kitchen that looks spotless under normal light
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:49:51 AM EDT
[#21]

I check the Cuban warranty seals on boxes of Hananos.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:58:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:58:55 AM EDT
[#23]
They sell UV fishing lights,  Monofiliment glows in UV.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:09:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Rocks.

Mrs. R has a huge collection of rocks, gems and minerals. I purchased her a UV light that does two different wave lenghts. It's neat to see what lights up. She's got rocks that will absorb the UV and glow in the dark for an hour.

There's a red warning sticker on the unit that says not to aim the unit at your eyes.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:20:02 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, you will certainly be able to find enough "evidence" to get a free night's stay from the hotel manager if you want.

Keeping in mind that powder laundry detergent also glows in the dark.  

However, comforters, walls, and ceilings are rarely washed.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:39:31 AM EDT
[#26]
What if you see glowing "stuff" on the ceiling of your hotel room?

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:42:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:46:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Things to look at:

Checks - usally have security thread/text
Cash - security thread
Non-USA cash - have threads/graphics/numbers/
Drivers License - most have security printing
Official documents - might have security thread/text
Rocks - different minerals will light up
Your house - find and identify the body fluids!
Fake Nazi stuff - most fakes will light up
Stamps - some will have designs on them

I use mine for currency collecting. Most overseas cash has neat designs and prints.

Av.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:55:22 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Things to look at:

Cash - security thread

I use mine for currency collecting. Most overseas cash has neat designs and prints.

Av.

Why does the fake nazi stuff glow?

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:15:34 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Things to look at:

Cash - security thread

Av.

Kharn

I've heard that too. I have a buddy who's a big time dagger and medal and other stuff collector and he uses UV for all his fabrics...and it seems to work. I don't think it works on anything metal or wood though.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:41:55 AM EDT
[#31]
I think he meant it the other way - REAL Nazi stuff glows.  Sheesh, didn't you ever see Raiders of the Lost Ark?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:51:18 AM EDT
[#32]
my dogs broke into my house when I was at work one day.  Used UV light to find all of their accidents before I stepped on damp carpet - and yes, one even peed on the bed. (and that's my story and I am sticking to it)
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:01:07 AM EDT
[#33]
UV light - $25

Cheap hotel room - $25

Telling everyone on the internet you REALLY look for other people's sperm - fucking priceless...
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:02:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Vampires....
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:13:37 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Kharn

When modern day cotton is dyed, phosphates in the process cause the fabric to "glow". Original cotton fabric from WW2 should not glow, or glow very faintly.

The same can be done with old banknotes from the WW2 era. Modern day copies will glow, old notes should not.

The same principal is used to detect fake badges and fake collectable fishing lures (don't ask). Modern day paints will glow under blacklight or take a very "vivd" color. Older paints will not glow at all or will have a faint glow. They will also have a differnet "look" to them under blacklight.

Obviously, using a blacklight is only one tool to use to detect a fake. There are many original items that might glow brightly, expecally if they were thrown in the wash to clean them up.

Av.

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 11:01:30 AM EDT
[#36]
wow looks like lots of stuff.  Someone talked about a switching light that has two different settings.  I thought UV was UV.  Why would there be different settings?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 11:14:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Longwave and shortwave UV.

Longwave is the standard blacklight you buy. Shortwave kills bacteria and causes burns.

Av.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 11:20:07 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I check the Cuban warranty seals on boxes of Hananos.

cool, does that wok 100% of the time or do the countefeits have some that pass the test?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 11:20:14 AM EDT
[#39]
They use black lights at the bowling allie I go to on friday nights to have things glow.  

Is there a difference between black lights and UV lights? I emailed Inova and they said the X5 is 395 nm +- 5nm

Since UV is bad for your eyes and causes cancer and there are warnings for the UV lights.  Why is it ok for black lights at bowling allies to glow everywhere?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 11:25:21 AM EDT
[#40]
some glues cure only in the presence of UV light.  Some only cure with other "colors" of light.  Very cool.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 11:27:27 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
UV light - $25

Cheap hotel room - $25

Telling everyone on the internet you REALLY look for other people's sperm - fucking priceless...

Good point.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 11:35:08 AM EDT
[#42]
I have both Long Wave and Short Wave (254nm) lights that I use with minerals and occassionally with postage stamps. The Long Wave lamps are safe but the Short Wave lamps can burn your eyes and skin if you are not wearing UV protection.  Also, the Short Wave filters wear out (solarization) over time.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 11:41:50 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Lets see if I remember some old physics...

UV is not visible to the naked eye, however it reacts with phosphors and other chemicals/molecules/materials that make it visible. The way it works on these materials is that the UV light passes through the atoms and excites the electrons, which use the energy to jump up an energy level (there are various energy levels/rings around all atoms). Thhe electron does not stay there, and quickly falls back to it's original ring and releases the stored energy as a visible light.

If I'm wrong here, someone correct me. It might be how black lights work and not UV. I'm pretty rusty on this stuff.

Sounds like you have the basics down pretty well.  Obviously your schoolin' stuck!

You get an A+.

Jim
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 12:01:58 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I have both Long Wave and Short Wave (254nm) lights that I use with minerals and occassionally with postage stamps. The Long Wave lamps are safe but the Short Wave lamps can burn your eyes and skin if you are not wearing UV protection.  Also, the Short Wave filters wear out (solarization) over time.

is 395 nm a long or a short wave? It had a warning about contact with your eyes.  Just curious how careful I have to be around my eyes.  How much UV is there btw?

Eyes are exposed to UV all day long from the sun so would a quick accidental or reflected light in your eye cause serious damage?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 1:54:57 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

is 395 nm a long or a short wave? It had a warning about contact with your eyes.  Just curious how careful I have to be around my eyes.  How much UV is there btw?

Eyes are exposed to UV all day long from the sun so would a quick accidental or reflected light in your eye cause serious damage?

395nm is long and is safe.  It is the sub-300's that cause problems with organic material.  Short wave UV can be stopped by corrective lenses made of polycarbonate, especially if they have a UV coating.  As a safety check, when I place my glasses between my shortwave UV source and UV object, the object does not light up.  Remove the glasses and the UV object glows proving my lenses are blocking the UV.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:23:32 PM EDT
[#46]
ahh thank you for that information.  I wonder why they even have a warning then.. seems like a waste of ink of the packaging to me.

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:28:01 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Does our money have things we can see on it as well? I know it has the water marks on some of the bills but I don't know if they will light up with UV light or not.

The watermarks won't but there are some threads that will luminesce.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:30:01 PM EDT
[#48]
I will definately have to try it out with some money.  What other security type devices can be seen with UV light?  I'm going to be busy for awhile playing with this thing.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:49:39 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I will definately have to try it out with some money.  What other security type devices can be seen with UV light?  I'm going to be busy for awhile playing with this thing.

You could check for pecker tracks on your wife's car seats I suppose.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:20:42 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You could check for pecker tracks on your wife's car seats I suppose.

th check for residual fluid leakage due to gravity over time?  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top