Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2003 7:30:34 AM EDT
[img]http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/images/machine/f650gs/bike/base_black.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:34:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks cool[8D]

What Is It?
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:34:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't know anything about that, but if you're interested in a used Dual Sport, there's one out by me for sale.  It was just put out there Monday or so.  I know nothing about it, but it looks nice from the road.

Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:35:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Dual-Sports are not right up my alley, but it looks like it could be fun.

Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:37:50 AM EDT
[#4]
The main drawback that I see are the spokes.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:38:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks pretty cool, go test ride it and tell us how fast it can go.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:38:59 AM EDT
[#6]
The F650 formula appeals to me, personally. Light, excellent ergonomics, can do some mild off-roading, nimble, not too pricey (especially for a BMW). It's the poor man's 1150GS, but that's ok. I think it's be a fun city or commuter bike for a while. I'm sure that after a fair amount of highway riding, I'd be yearning for the power of an 1150GS, and free of the stupid chain.

Also, they look great in silver and yellow!
[img]http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/images/machine/f650gs/bike/titan_silver_yellow.gif[/img]

Edited to add: Ooooh, creepy! I only got the skin.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:47:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Sorry, I meant to put what it was.  It's the BMW F650GS.

Here is a pic of the R1150 GS:

[img]http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/images/machine/r1150gs_2004/bike/base_night_black.jpg[/img]

and the R1150 GS Adventure:

[img]http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/images/machine/r1150gs_adv_2004/bike/base_titan_silver_marrakesh_metallic.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 9:07:43 AM EDT
[#8]
the 650 is supposed to be a great bike.  BMW outsourced the thumper engine to someone, an Italian company I think Rotax rings a bell.  On the down side, the 650 doesn't get the telelever front and rear like the the 1150.  And it is chain drive not shaft.  But then that is why it isn't 15K like the 1150.  On the up side you get the heated grips, excelent seat, great service.  I know several people that have their bikes, and I own one of their cars.  You can not go wrong.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 9:20:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Way too much street bias for me. If I'm going to ride "just" a 650 adventure-tourer/dual-sport machine, I prefer something that is more dirt-oriented because it can be light enough to actually be fun and fairly capable in the dirt.

In testing the F650 for a couple weeks, I found it to be a decent street bike with good attempts to integrate several BMW features, but when I took it into the dirt, it wasn't so pleasant. The tank's shape, especially, comes to mind. It's sculpted with nice scoops that are kind of handy to tuck your knees into when sitting down (as you would be on the street), but when you stand up (as you would for any sort of aggressive dirt riding), those scoops become very painful as you try to grip the tank with your knees--and I wear knee braces!

The suspension was nothing to write home about either.

Personally, I'd go for something along the lines of KTM's 640 LC4 Adventure if I wanted that engine size and was thinking of something that would also be street-legal. It's got a huge tank for great range, but you can still go pretty quick in the dirt on moderate single-track. For the more gnarly stuff, I'd chose the 625 SXC and hang a Baja Designs kit or something like that on.

But again, I'm more of a dirt guy first. The F650 is pretty smooth running on the street. [:)]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 9:22:17 AM EDT
[#10]
[url=http://www.cycleforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=920aac8f0a636d5e9e39840cbe2829dd&threadid=32308]GS Remarks[/url]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 9:29:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 10:08:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Looks cool as hell.  It reminds me of the two guys chasing james Bond down a ski slope.  Think they had machine guns on theirs.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 10:22:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

They're for the clothespins and playing cards to make noise on...dont'cha know? [:D]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 10:28:54 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't want to go off-road much.  I just like what the seating position looks like as far as comfort goes.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 10:43:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

They're for the clothespins and playing cards to make noise on...dont'cha know? [:D]
View Quote

[:D]  Seriously, though...if you plan on doing any major offroading spoked wheels are better.  Mag wheels are less trouble (no trueing needed, tubeless tires, etc) but tend to break when bounced around offroad (sending the rider flying).  Spoked wheels periodically need to be trued & require tube type tires (BMW notwithstanding)but when subjected to jumps & bumps they'll bend but stay together.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 12:19:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 12:40:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Save some money and get a Kawasaki 650.

Lots of accessories and speed parts for the Kawasaki.

My 2 cents worth.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 12:52:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Don't some newer spoked tires take tubless tires?

My first motorcycle had spokes and took tubes, man what a PIA. I changed the tires and tubes myself once, not a pleasant afternoon.
View Quote

The BMW 'cruiser' has tubeless tire spoked wheels.  They spent a bit of $$$ & time/research just so it would have the tradional spokes but modern tubeless tires.  Best of both worlds.  

Link Posted: 7/2/2003 2:03:50 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a r100gs I bought new in 92. It has tubeless tires, the spokes are on the outside of the rim. Handles great for what it is, sits high, for those with long legs. I love mine. I have a few other bikes as well, Honda cbr1000f, and a cb1100f, of the bunch the bmw is the one I enjoy the most.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top