Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2004 7:56:44 AM EDT
What do you think about this camo pattern for bowhunting?

I don't like the "designer" camos (Realtree, Mossy Oak, etc.). They don't seem to do a good job of breaking up an outline to me.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:02:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Funny I just put an order through for this I was looking at the Outfitter pattern as well. May pick up something in that pattern for colder hunts.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:03:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm using MARPAT.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:06:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks gay to me.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:09:17 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Funny I just put an order through for this I was looking at the Outfitter pattern as well. May pick up something in that pattern for colder hunts.

Yeah, that's what I really want. I think Predator is probably the best hunting camo out there. The only reason why I wasn't considering it is because the price on the pants and matching jacket are so cheap and I'm saving money for AR parts right now

Really, I should probably just take my own advice...and buy the best stuff the first time.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:09:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Looks gay to me.

And that would be because...?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:32:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I liked the old all season all terrain (ASAT) stuff. They made a green and tan version.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:36:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I liked the old all season all terrain (ASAT) stuff. They made a green and tan version.

I looked at that stuff and I've read good things about it. So, what is better, Predator or ASAT?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:43:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Alright, I decided to go with the ASAT 3D leafy suit www.asatcamo.com.

I read a ton of good stuff on it over at www.archerytalk.com and decided it was worth a try. Not too expensive either at $135. If I don't like it they have a satisfaction guarantee, so I can get my money back.

Looking at the pattern it doesn't look like anything special, but I saw a bunch of pictures on archerytalk taken by people who own the suit using it in the field and it was pretty impressive I thought. We'll see I guess...if you can't tell I am absolutely ITCHING to get out and bow hunt this weekend!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:01:12 PM EDT
[#9]

For cold weather try that predator in wool.

www.graywolfwoolens.com/jacket.html
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:42:48 PM EDT
[#10]
it would be outstanding....

deer see in yellows...and darks. and some orange..

the shaded greys and blacks will create a natural blob of light and dark shaded areas that occur naturally.

this is why the old school flannel prints had done so well for over 100years.  dark and black colores blended.

remember..your camoed for deer...and critters..not humans or birds.

birds have excellent color definition.

ASAT was awesome...(still is when you can find it)...

i routinely kill deer ( rifle-bow- BP) within 10 yards...
many have been taken while hunting on the ground, within grabbing distance.

i once had a doe so close wondering what i was she blew...in my face...and got snot all over my glasses..while i was wearing a green/black flannel shirt and regular BDU pants, with my back against a pine tree.

if your still...and the wind is in your face..they cant tell...
i do wear orange...but i take a big black marker to it..to make some breakup patterns on it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:46:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Yuck, hate it!!!

I like "Real tree" for bowhunting
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:30:31 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Yuck, hate it!!!

I like "Real tree" for bowhunting

Yeah, but I'm not trying to find a camo pattern that I  like, or a pattern that is pleasing to the human eye, I'm trying to find a camo pattern that deer, turkey, etc. will have a hard time seeing me in.

I've seen some informal studies of different camo patterns and while they aren't maybe the most scientific in the world I think they do have merit. Far and away all the "designer" camo patterns like real tree, mossy oak, etc. all blob up and create a nice dark human outline for the animals to see.  The camo patterns such as predator, ASAT, sticks n leaves, etc. do a much better job of actually breaking up your outline than the designer ones do.

Bottom line is that, unless someone can prove to me otherwise, I think the designer camos were meant to look good to the human eye, up close, and under store lighting. The problem is, that's not the conditions that the deer will be looking at you.

I agree, I don't personally like the ASAT camo pattern all that much, but if it makes it harder for the deer to see me that's all I care about. Try going to www.archerytalk.com and do a  search for "ASAT" or "camo comparison" and you'll get a bunch of threads with people who have taken pictures of different camo clothing in a hunting environment. It's obvious to me that after seeing the photos the ASAT and Predator patterns are by far the best at eliminating the human outline.

I hope I'm right. I'll let everybody know how my new camo works and maybe even get some pictures to post!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top