Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2005 6:57:03 PM EDT
I know right now is the worst possible time to buy a truck, but I just came upon this and it made me think. www.thetruthabouttrucks.com. Maybe my beloved Chevy isn't all it's cracked up to be?? Now I'm sad ... hahaha. So what's your take? Did Ford rig all of those tests?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:33:54 PM EDT
[#1]
its bs.  It isn't a level playing field, and they just 'happen' to miss alot.  I worked at a ford dealership as a mechanic, fords have issues.  They get the big stuff right, but they really miss the boat on quality control and details.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:39:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I think "fordvehicles.com" might be a little biased

Besides, they're talking about friggen half-ton trucks. If you have a truck plate (in IL), you'll still be really light. You could go to a D plate, but that would be too heavy for a half ton truck.

Half-tons are suspended for town cruising. 3/4 tons and 1 tons are for work and are designed as such.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:41:41 PM EDT
[#3]
WTF?  Are you saying Illinois bans half-ton trucks from cities?  I know Chicago runs the whole state, and they're stupid as shit, but is that really the case?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:42:30 PM EDT
[#4]
You really can't cover what he is trying too in a few short simpleton videos.  If you like your truck, it is the right one for you.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:50:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys, that's what I thought. However, I do find the non-existant front end on the Chevy Silverado a bit odd. What's up with that? Also the frame on the Chevy not being boxed in, doesn't that really make the frame weak? Obviously the 1500 model wouldn't haul that much, but a truck like the 3500 should have a fully boxed frame, don't you think? Same with the center section.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:02:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
WTF?  Are you saying Illinois bans half-ton trucks from cities?  I know Chicago runs the whole state, and they're stupid as shit, but is that really the case?

No no no no no.

I meant that they have SUSPENSION best suited for town driving. I've seen 3 leaves in the rear of half ton trucks. That would be mechanically overloaded with 400-500lbs, IMO.

They are typically never set up to carry loads.

WIZZO

EDIT: You're right about Shitcago running the state, though.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:19:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No no no no no.

I meant that they have SUSPENSION best suited for town driving. I've seen 3 leaves in the rear of half ton trucks. That would be mechanically overloaded with 400-500lbs, IMO.

They are typically never set up to carry loads.

WIZZO

EDIT: You're right about Shitcago running the state, though.

The 3/4 ton can handle loads better than 1/2 tons, and 1 tons can handle loads better than 3/4 tons.  3/4 tons do great at tooling around town, my dad has a '97 C-2500 Chevy and it does great at tooling around town, that's what he does with it.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:26:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Thanks guys, that's what I thought. However, I do find the non-existant front end on the Chevy Silverado a bit odd. What's up with that? Also the frame on the Chevy not being boxed in, doesn't that really make the frame weak? Obviously the 1500 model wouldn't haul that much, but a truck like the 3500 should have a fully boxed frame, don't you think? Same with the center section.

Are you going to race your truck at the local road course for a trophy?  No?  Then dont worry about the boxed frame.  It isnt a race car.  

The front end is also kinda weird.  But, if you rear end somebody, which would you rather do:

1. have your truck totaled because your structural members in the front are tweaked.

2. just replace the fenders, grille, hood...

I also have BIG issues with fords aluminum lower A arms.  Heat treated Al should not be welded, and if bent, should be replaced immediately if structural.  Hit a curb?  Replace it.

Steel can be bent and straightened, and it wont change the strength much.  Steel also takes repeated loading (like years and years) infinitely better than aluminum.  These parts have a limited service life, where steel can last forever.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:18:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you going to race your truck at the local road course for a trophy?  No?  Then dont worry about the boxed frame.  It isnt a race car.  

The front end is also kinda weird.  But, if you rear end somebody, which would you rather do:

1. have your truck totaled because your structural members in the front are tweaked.

2. just replace the fenders, grille, hood...

True, but if you plan on doing a lot of serious 4 wheeling, wouldn't a boxed frame be a plus? Seems like it would be a LOT stronger and take a LOT more beating than the C-type frame. Also, without that front end, wouldn't it make the truck very dangerous if you do run into something? Not much to stop you from being crushed. (Sorry for all these dumbass questions).
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:39:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

2. just replace the fenders, grille, hood...-

True, but if you plan on doing a lot of serious 4 wheeling, wouldn't a boxed frame be a plus? Seems like it would be a LOT stronger and take a LOT more beating than the C-type frame. Also, without that front end, wouldn't it make the truck very dangerous if you do run into something? Not much to stop you from being crushed. (Sorry for all these dumbass questions).

The boxed frame will always be stronger, if the steel used in both is the same thickness.  But, most people do not plan on doing serious (aka: lift, tall tires, serious trails on a regular basis) driving.  It is a car with a bed to most people.  

What I look for in a truck.  By Me.  

Not in any particular order.  

What do I want to do?  This is everything.  Daily driver, tow light stuff 3-6000lb.  Hunt, fish, get back home to the Farm over Christmas break.    In this case, a 1/2 ton works for me.  

General Design.  Innovation can be good, but its a truck not a Viper.  I look for functionality with ease of maitnence/rebuilding/modification.  Mr. FordRep on that video was ripping drum rear brakes.  They work, and like I said, it aint a GT40 or Viper.  Full ABS can be a pain in the butt to work on if it goes bad.  Those modules are expensive.  

Do I like the looks?  I am wild about the 95-02 Rams.  Personal Preference.

Is the interior comfortable?  Is there good visibility?  Does it drive well?  Is it expensive?  

Limited Slip rear end.  

What is the engine/drivetrain system?  Injected only.  What type?  Is the computer and sensor system straightforward like a normal old-school engine or crazy, with sensors and stuff all over creation.  How easy is the engine to access to do oil, water pumps, alternators, starters...  What is the tranny?  Does it have a good reputation and service record.  In this area, room under the hood around the engine is a big plus for me.  

As a side note, on all trucks the grille should be attached to the hood and should lift clear exposing the radiator and front of the engine.   This is something I have learned to love with my Ram.  

Body.  How is it built?  Is it thin sheetmetal, my dad had a 97 Ford F-350 that had amazingly thin sheet metal.  Picked up dings like a hippies to a jam-fest.  

What is the 4x4 system?  Currently, Ford F250/350 are the only trucks availible with lock out hubs.  Other than the Dodge Power Wagon(i think).  

Oh,  and if you ever want to lift it without mortgaging your house, solid front axle is a must.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top