Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2005 5:06:26 PM EDT
Friend selling it off. Ive played with it before. Not my favorite gun but I would like a semi .308 and the price seems right.  Is it possible to put HK91 stuff on it like a wide forearm and stocks? Any place to really edumacate me on CETMEs?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:13:02 PM EDT
[#1]
There is a way, with slight mods, to get the wide HK handguards on.

I just sold mine for $399  (keep in mind it was post-ban and I live in a ban state).

For $250, it may be worth a try but keep in mind that it was put together by monkeys.

- BG
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:14:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Jump on it! My CETME is one of my favorite rifles. Two fifty is a very good price even if it's the stamped receiver. Be sure to get the CETME aftermarket butt pad (see below).

Yes.

Do a google for CETME. There are two sites loaded with info and helpful folk (much like here). Haven't been there recently due to my parents deaths this year.

Go fer it!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:14:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:18:05 PM EDT
[#4]
www.cetmerifles.com/forum/index.php?sid=57217a905e9aa35cff37aec3759a54c3

cetmes are hit or miss as far as operation goes. there are a number of common problems with them, or you may be lucky and she runs like a charm.
most of the problems aren't that hard to overcome, and a visit to the cetme forum, linked above, will help you along.  read their faq section.
i paid way too much for mine. it's a fairly early one with a cast stainless reciever, and it too had some issues. it had a canted front sight that the century wondersmiths made alright, and a barely passing bolt gap that i made better by going to larger rollers.
mine runs awesome, but their are plenty that just piss off their owners by being unreliable.
for $250 though, why not? if it's your friends, you get to take for a test drive first to see how she works.
and on the hk parts interchangeability...a bunch, although not all, of hk parts will fit right on it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:18:25 PM EDT
[#5]
They can have some issues but some are pretty decent.
Sights are typically off.
Magwells are tight.
some triggers suck--mine seems okay to me.
finish is paint--not great but okay for price
Check bore
Check bolt and probably a good idea to check headspace--Some bolts have exceeded their useful life I hear.

www.cetmerifles.com/forum/

My advice is to shoot it and check it out. If it seems like a good rifle thaen it is certainly worth the $250.
Mags and ammo are cheap. That's a plus.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:19:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
one of 2 things:

"Diamond in the Rough"
or
"You can't polish a turd"

Exactly!!!!!!

I got lucky and got one of the 1st ones that were made from like new parts kits.If you've gotten the chance to shoot it then I'd say go for it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:28:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I have 5 of them..  No problem with any of them.  I did replace that shitty cheap furniture on all but one.

Bob
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:34:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine is a stinking piece of shit.

It was way out of headspace (which I fixed with +20 rollers) and now it doesn't properly feed from the magazine about 80% of the time as the magazine well is improperly made.

Also, to boot, the cocking handle assembly is out of spec and you need two hands to pull the action back.

I guess if you know that one works.....then that's a different story.

Personally, I think Century Arms should be out of business after I get the chance to break a few of their ribs.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:36:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd gamble on one for $250
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:38:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I can save you $150.00.

Give me $100 and let me smack you a couple times with a metal folding chair.

It will be just like owning a POS CAI CETME only without the burden of having to find someone dumb enough to pay you something for it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:39:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I can save you $150.00.

Give me $100 and let me smack you a couple times with a metal folding chair.

It will be just like owning a POS CAI CETME only without the burden of having to find someone dumb enough to pay you something for it.

+2
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:55:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, Id say shoot the rifle. If its reliable and hits point of aim, get it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:03:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
They can have some issues but some are pretty decent.
Sights are typically off.
Magwells are tight.
some triggers suck--mine seems okay to me.
finish is paint--not great but okay for price
Check bore
Check bolt and probably a good idea to check headspace--Some bolts have exceeded their useful life I hear.

www.cetmerifles.com/forum/

My advice is to shoot it and check it out. If it seems like a good rifle thaen it is certainly worth the $250.
Mags and ammo are cheap. That's a plus.

Holy shit, He lives!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:35:24 PM EDT
[#14]
my first CETME was one of those Century "POS".  i loved it.  it shot straight, was 100% reliable, and fun as hell.  i've heard the horror stories about how they are put together, but the two that i have owned have been great.  not as nice as the Portugal G3 i bought when i sold the cetmes, but the CETME is 1/3 the cost.

i guess if you can shoot it and see it first you cant go wrong.  buy it if you like it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:44:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
my first CETME was one of those Century "POS".  i loved it.  it shot straight, was 100% reliable, and fun as hell.  i've heard the horror stories about how they are put together, but the two that i have owned have been great.  not as nice as the Portugal G3 i bought when i sold the cetmes, but the CETME is 1/3 the cost.

i guess if you can shoot it and see it first you cant go wrong.  buy it if you like it.

You have a real FMP G3S1 or one of those POS CAI rifles built on a FMP receiver that they claimed were imported rifles?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:08:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You have a real FMP G3S1 or one of those POS CAI rifles built on a FMP receiver that they claimed were imported rifles?

Damn dude, someone from CAI piss in your receiver or something?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:16:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn dude, someone from CAI piss in your receiver or something?

Nah, just not crazy about junk dealers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top