Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 10/8/2004 7:09:15 AM EST
Most of us could agree, I believe, that contained within Marxism were the seeds of its own destruction. While it may have sounded good on paper, when lifted from text and placed in context it came undone, some places sooned, some later.

In a similar way, Plato stated in his "Republic" that democracy was little more than mob rule. Somewhere else I read " Democracy is doomed as soon as the voters realize that they can vote themselves bread and circus".

Today, with the emphasis on polls and the cloying attempt to generate political support by promising more and more entitlements to ever larger groups of people, can anyone help me understand why my second paragraph isn't a statement of future history.

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:11:09 AM EST
We're not a democracy, we're a REPUBLIC,...... that's why it's not germain.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:15:47 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:16:59 AM EST
Ummm...would you like a glass of milk?

SGtar15
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:17:26 AM EST
Mr. Wilson, I suspect you're playing semantic games with me. No, we are not a pure democracy, we elect representatives who cast votes in our stead. However, since as I stated, so many in government cast their votes as a result of polls, isn't the effect similar?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:18:46 AM EST
Thanks Doublefeed, I'm at work with a limited ability to research. And yes, I'm bored.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:21:02 AM EST

Originally Posted By sgtar15:

SGtar15

Glass of milk?, I don't get it. If its a reference to my age, I'll have you know I've been taking up space on this planet for 56 years.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:27:00 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:29:47 AM EST
Taking up space?

What part of NC are you from? Must be way up in the mountains where they make that good o'l mountain dew.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:30:37 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/8/2004 7:31:32 AM EST by GTOJudge885]

Originally Posted By mr_wilson:

Mike

In all actuality we are more like a demublic than a republic. We are not a pure democracy nor a pure republic. Besides we are also a bit of an oligarchy too.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:36:48 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:38:25 AM EST

Originally Posted By bdorrman:

SGtar15

Glass of milk?, I don't get it. If its a reference to my age, I'll have you know I've been taking up space on this planet for 56 years.

Mylanta then?

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:39:17 AM EST

Originally Posted By mr_wilson:

Mike

Are you SURE that is still true?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:40:02 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:46:20 AM EST

SGtar15

Mylanta then?

Sgtar15

That's better.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:53:39 AM EST

Originally Posted By DoubleFeed:

Mr. Wilson, I suspect you're playing semantic games with me. No, we are not a pure democracy, we elect representatives who cast votes in our stead. However, since as I stated, so many in government cast their votes as a result of polls, isn't the effect similar?

Yes, we elect representatives, but that doesn't make us a democracy.
It is a big stretch to even characterize us as a democratic republic. Democracy means the people vote on the issues. Republic means that we elect or appoint representatives to vote on the issues in our place.
You can call it semantics if you like, but it IS a difference of definitions.

Your point is, of course, well taken, no two words have the same meaning. What I'm trying to figure out is if the effect of our current political situation transends the definition of the words I used?
Top Top