Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2004 4:58:34 PM EDT
I have never been married, but I did live with my ex gf for about 2 years.  Near the end in some ways we ran out of things to talk about.  There weren't really anymore childhood stories to share.  We spent most of our time together, so there weren't really any "guess what I did today" stories to tell, and god knows you don't want to spend all your time talking about work.

So what do you and your wife or longtime GF talk about?

I've been friends with this one girl on and off for about 10 years, and lately we've been talking alot more. It's great because she's pretty rational for a woman, and it's easy to have political or philosophical or other inteligent conversations with her.  It got me to wondering what would happen if we wound up together.  The ex and I never talked about stuff like that, and it's refreshing to have a woman that can carry on a rational discussion.  If we wound up together, would we still have all those same things to talk about?
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:07:31 PM EDT
[#1]
We talk about WORK a lot - because we are both in the same field and in the same type of career (tenure track faculty at research universities)

We talk about work in general, in terms of our careers, about what's going on in our departments, politics, etc.  

We also talk about work in particular, because we ocasionally work on research projects together.  We just recently got a theory paper accepted in a top psychology journal, and we've been working on a manuscript for a different journal (in fact I am proof-reading it right now).  We're also planning and coordinating data collection that's starting in the Fall.

When we're teaching, we can bitch endlessly about students

Other than that - we talk about politics, news, philosophy, music, my freakshow family, her freakshow family , interesting things we've seen - yesterday I almost hit a deer on my bicylce, and today she walked through a music video being filmed in Nashville.  etc.   I don't anticipate running out of things to talk about.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:08:53 PM EDT
[#2]
UH....We talk about the kids, other family, what I did at work, when I get my next blow job, what's for dinner.

Hell, we just talk about.... whatever.

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:10:02 PM EDT
[#3]
You mean I'm supposed to TALK to her???

Maybe that's why she seems pissed so often.... At least I think she's pissed - can't listen to her and the TV at the same time ya know....
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:21:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Women have ears??
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:22:58 PM EDT
[#5]
No need to talk... after 18years because Mrs. Pockets knows what I am thinking. But that is easy for her because Men think about it 10times a minute....

MT

and the term Ole Lady doesn't fit Mrs. Pockets
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:37:19 PM EDT
[#6]
We talk about odd characters we find in forums on the internet
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:43:24 PM EDT
[#7]
We talk about the best round to take zombies down with.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:43:50 PM EDT
[#8]
We take about plans.

Weekend plans, after work plans.

We always have stuff going on. So, lots to talk about.

We also do our own stuff so we talk about what we have been doing with our own hobbies.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:55:40 PM EDT
[#9]
She taught me how to iron my own clothes, pee sitting down, and make an excellent three course meal.

HA!

Actually, mostly she talks about the things that interest me -she is a real jewel and the love of my life.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:55:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Stuff.
AB
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:56:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Uh.....i'm supposed to TALK to her?

Shit.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:57:07 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Women have ears??

Yeah, it's the things you're pulling on during oral sex.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:58:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Women have ears??

Yes, and sometimes, albeit very rarely, they have been known to let you use them as handles.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:17:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Sex
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:23:13 PM EDT
[#15]
MARRIED ALMOST 20 YEARS:

CURRENT EVENTS

POLITICS

GUNS (SHE WATCHED ME INSTALL GREEN FOLLOWERS AND SPRINGS INTO AR-15 MAGAZINES LAST NIGHT...)

WORK

VACATION PLANS

RETIREMENT PLANS

FINANCES

ALWAYS SOMETHING NEW TO TALK ABOUT.....

SHE'S MY BEST FRIEND  
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:41:35 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
MARRIED ALMOST 20 YEARS:

CURRENT EVENTS

POLITICS

GUNS (SHE WATCHED ME INSTALL GREEN FOLLOWERS AND SPRINGS INTO AR-15 MAGAZINES LAST NIGHT...)

WORK

VACATION PLANS

RETIREMENT PLANS

FINANCES

ALWAYS SOMETHING NEW TO TALK ABOUT.....

SHE'S MY BEST FRIEND  

+1 (except for the springs) and well-said.

We also talk about how to raise the kids we'e considering having - we agree on nearly everything.  

And we sometimes gently remove soapboxes from each other when rants stat to get long-winded.

Edit: and only married 7 years
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:44:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Everything?  There is no one I would rather talk to, and no one who is more interesting.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:57:12 AM EDT
[#18]
everything, and anything
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:01:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Absolutely nothing.

You know why.

Believe me, it's better that way.....

Norman, are you EVER going to settle on an avatar?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:29:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Everything
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:32:22 AM EDT
[#21]
You are just supposed to shut up a "listen" to her.  This nodding and grunting every so often.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:35:02 AM EDT
[#22]
"we" talk about whatever im currently in trouble for..................
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:38:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Nothing.  I have given up on women.  Guess its just me for now on.

Wolf
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:41:53 AM EDT
[#24]
We talk about whats for dinner, and why my beer isnt cooled properly, and what she should wear after dinner....

and guns and military stuff
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:28:13 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
UH............, when I get my next blow job, what's for dinner...........

She kept it up after you got married?
Whats the secret?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:40:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Less talking, more sucking.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:41:10 AM EDT
[#27]
we both are just trying to get the kid out of school and off to college, was separated 5+ years and i let them move in last august {guest room} and what a long year it has been.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 12:08:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Anything and everything.  The Neutral Observer has never met a more intelligent woman.  

Mainly how she would remove certain appendages with a dull knife if The Neutral Observer called her His "old lady".
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 12:13:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 12:14:13 PM EDT
[#30]
That is why you have kids so you have something to talk about.

Actually I talk about the news and politics and she bitches about work and other people. It gets dull very quickly.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 12:17:17 PM EDT
[#31]
My wife is a mute.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 12:19:21 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
So what do you and your wife or longtime GF talk about?

I have been with the wife for 13 years. We have two kids and a life together; we have never suffered for things to talk about, although as with every relationship the communication suffers at times. The important thing is to put each other first and the rest will take care of itself.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 12:19:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Here's an update on my exciting conversations with the fiancee last night.

We spent about 2 hours arguing about whether or not we should take a paragraph out of a revised manuscript that we were sending back to an academic journal.  She wanted to cut it, because the paper didn't flow right with it in, and it interfered with the logic, and I wanted to keep it because it made an important point.  After much arguing - and accusing each other of incompetence and narrowmindedness - we finally agreed on a clever solution that made both of us happy, and made the manuscript better than either of our solutions.

While we argue a lot when we work on research projects togeher, it's actually really cool - because the end product is much better than either of us could produce on our own.  Our theory paper that's being published soon is an awesome paper, and it's purely because of the collaboration - not either one of us individually.  (Plus, I quoted General Patton in the paper, which is hilarious being published in on of the top psychology journals in the world ).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top