Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2004 6:49:28 PM EDT
Thought I'd ask since I would know which angle to use when introducing females to guns and shooting.

For me, I like the precision - accuracy and trigger pulls, and all that. Not really into the self-defense aspect as much, since I hope I would never be in a situation that called for it.

Plus, it's just fun to send bullets downrange. I like the boom and even the smell of gunpowder.

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:09:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I love the smell of gunpowder.

For me, it's just a good release.  It gives me a cool feeling of knowing that I'm in control of such a powerful tool; plus, I just want to keep shooting so I can become a better shot.

It makes me feel a lot more comfortable and allows me to sleep better at night knowing that if someone breaks into the house, I'm not helpless; I can handle myself.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:10:43 PM EDT
[#2]
For me it's several things,  on quality firearms, I like the precise fit and beautiful finishes, the accuracy that is produced from a well constructed rifle,  Fancy grade walnut mated to a blue reciever of a fine over&under shotgun, the fast racey looks of AR15s, the no nonsense and tough look of the AK47.

But what I like most about firearms, they represent FREEDOM!
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:12:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I like to blow stuff up and shit.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:45:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Y'all might not like this answer, but it's the truth:  the fact that they can kill with such ease and efficiency.

I like Colts (and my Luger) best because of the craftsmanship and how everything is machined to such perfection, but mostly the killing thing.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 10:00:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Ultimately, for me, it is the power. I like the looks. I like the engineering. I like the machining. I like the feel of the recoil. I like to see the target react to being hit. I like the noise, the flash, the feel of the action. I like all of these things. But what I love is the power. No matter how tough, how big, how skilled, or how mean they are, nobody is bulletproof.

Samuel Colt's sales slogan says it best:
"Have no fear of any man, no matter what his size. For when you call upon me, I will equalize."
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 10:11:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I like to blow stuff up and shit.

+1
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:55:57 AM EDT
[#7]
For me it is keeping my skills honed. I also enjoy shooting. The Army trained me well.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:25:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I love to shoot, I love to hit my target, I love the smell of gunpowder

What I love the most though is the feeling of power I feel when shooting.  Knowing that no one can F@#$ with me.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:45:02 AM EDT
[#9]
They never bitch about anything......
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:56:07 AM EDT
[#10]
I love the stress relief that I get when I am done.  When I am stressed out I can go to the range bang off a few hundred rounds and be happy as hell when I leave.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:48:32 AM EDT
[#11]
The range smells like the 4th of July.    My husband says shooting makes my eyes sparkle.    And gives me a somewhat sly and devilish grin.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:57:13 AM EDT
[#12]
OOPS!  I just realized this is the women's forum!  I don't really understand the need for a women's section, we're all gun nuts here, right?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:00:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
OOPS!  I just realized this is the women's forum!  I don't really understand the need for a women's section, we're all gun nuts here, right?

yes we are, but sometimes women like to talk about things that scare men off, like PMS... .did I scare ya yet?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:10:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Have you ever read the GD forum?  
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:24:02 PM EDT
[#15]
To fire one must focus. To focus calms the spirit.

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:29:54 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I'm sure the Dali Lama would agree with you.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:33:14 PM EDT
[#17]
I too didn't realize this was the womans forum, I work off of the active topics list.

Hi Ladies.......

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:08:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm sure the Dali Lama would agree with you.  

I'm sure once on the same spiritual plane, we would be in agreeance over this most  paramount of questions. When i come back from the mountain top, I shall let you know. Oooooohhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:18:30 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes we are, but sometimes women like to talk about things that scare men off, like PMS... .did I scare ya yet?

I think I saw a picture of you once.  I'm scared of beautiful women cuz I never say the right thing around them.  I'm not scared of PMS, though.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:19:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Females + Guns = Good luck with that

Firearms were the one thing that ruined my relationship with the girl I was gonna live the rest of my life with.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:00:06 PM EDT
[#21]
In what way?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:23:48 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think I saw a picture of you once.  I'm scared of beautiful women cuz I never say the right thing around them.  I'm not scared of PMS, though.

Fool...

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:42:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Power.  Peace. Paching!  The biggest reason for me... I like to see the target jump, whether a steel target or a piece of wood dangling from a tree.  I also like the stillness and sense of purpose that comes over me when I focus on breath control, target, and the front site... I'd equate this to a runner's high, but it's more mental than physical.  A shooter's high...

I could give you all the pleasant details of our shooting range out in the country too and each little motion that it takes to set off a round, but that would be too much.  Stop me now!  It's been too long since I got to shoot (new baby) that I'd almost forgotten that feeling.  

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:18:49 AM EDT
[#24]
I reread the initiating post and thought I'd encourage 'clean_cut' to address what women don't like when they first learn to shoot.  

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:11:03 PM EDT
[#25]
in response to what I didn't like when I learned to shoot... I hated tearing down, cleaning and reassembling the firearm. All those little pieces
I still hate cleaning them and if I can get away with it, I let MrGH do it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:18:21 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
in response to what I didn't like when I learned to shoot... I hated tearing down, cleaning and reassembling the firearm. All those little pieces

This gets tedious for me too. I'm so anal I often find myself disassembling the trigger assemblies of my semi-autos and contemplating disassembling the trigger assemblies of my revolvers.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:24:31 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This gets tedious for me too. I'm so anal I often find myself disassembling the trigger assemblies of my semi-autos and contemplating disassembling the trigger assemblies of my revolvers.  

I LOVE cleaning mine after I'm done shooting. The whole field stripping process...taking each piece apart, carefully ridding them of the residue from a relaxing day shooting the heck out of targets...the lovely smell of hoppes in the air.....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:29:25 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
...the lovely smell of hoppes in the air.....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Alas, I too like the smell of Hoppes No 9.  ...better than Chanel No 5.  

The girlfriend hates the smell of my gun cleaning solvents...............I'm dumping her tomorrow.  

That's a joke - I dumped her tonight.      (Joke again.)
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:49:25 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...the lovely smell of hoppes in the air.....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Alas, I too like the smell of Hoppes No 9.  ...better than Chanel No 5.  

The girlfriend hates the smell of my gun cleaning solvents...............I'm dumping her tomorrow.  

That's a joke - I dumped her tonight.      (Joke again.)

No wait, you dumped her yesterday but she was eating the really crunchy cereal so she couldn't hear you right???  
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:18:14 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
No wait, you dumped her yesterday but she was eating the really crunchy cereal so she couldn't hear you right???  

That explains a lot.

I love those commercials.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:50:50 PM EDT
[#31]
I like them because they compensate for my... uh...  inadequacy.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:58:36 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
the lovely smell of hoppes in the air.....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

yes I can say I do love the smell of hops!!
I'll let it go at that
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:36:08 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
the lovely smell of hoppes in the air.....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

yes I can say I do love the smell of hops!!
I'll let it go at that

You're such a lush
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:08:48 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

And so, every shot is a new challenge requirung a new focus..this lady understands
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:21:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Hubby always cleans my AR - that is how it should be.  

I keep the house clean - he keeps the guns clean.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:30:11 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And so, every shot is a new challenge requirung a new focus..this lady understands

It seriously is one of, and possibly the only time I can clear my head of everything else except for what I'm concentrating on achieving, whether it be shooting @ paper or the rare occasion of hunting something.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:35:00 PM EDT
[#37]
what freud sayed, it's a competiton to see who has the bigger dick. Psycologically that's what it boils down to, i read it in one his books back in my senior year.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:34:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Welll, I grew up in South Phoenix!  My brother and I saw or experienced enough violent crime for a couple lifetimes.  Then I saw Red Dawn! BooYaa baby.  My Dad gave me a Snake Charmer single shot .410 as a bad Dad guilt gift and I wasn't afraid (much) anymore.  The disease is incurable now and has spread out of control.  I like them because, to some degree, they can take the "Victim" out "of violent crime."
 P.S. Thank God I found this forum, not alone anymore!  You all are GREAT!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:41:50 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Welll, I grew up in South Phoenix!  My brother and I saw or experienced enough violent crime for a couple lifetimes.  Then I saw Red Dawn! BooYaa baby.  My Dad gave me a Snake Charmer single shot .410 as a bad Dad guilt gift and I wasn't afraid (much) anymore.  The disease is incurable now and has spread out of control.  I like them because, to some degree, they can take the "Victim" out "of violent crime."
 P.S. Thank God I found this forum, not alone anymore!  You all are GREAT!

Welcome! Nope, you are definately NOT alone
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:27:21 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
My Dad gave me a Snake Charmer single shot .410...

Ahhhh - a classic -- sweet!  
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:56:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Responsibility. Guns can be the ultimate life-saver or the tool of evil. They are greatest symbol of personal responsibility in a free America.

I also enjoy the engineering aspect. Guns have traditionally symbolized the best of practical engineering. Rugged yet precise, beautiful yet durable.

Think of a precision gun as a handmade Swiss watch; one that propels objects great distances with great speed an accuracy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top