Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2014 9:21:57 PM EDT
I want to take my family out west for a week of riding the rails.  Is this a reasonable endeavor?  I don't want to be taken to tourist traps and I'm not sure about being on a train for a solid week.  My children are teenage girls.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:26:58 PM EDT
[#1]
There will be problems down the line and you will end up on a bus.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:45:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Fly and rent a car.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:45:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Have you priced it?  

Just fly out and rent a nice suv/car stay in hotels you will spend a lot less and likely have a better time.

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:46:56 PM EDT
[#4]
teenage girls on a train for a week...shoot yourself now. At least on a cruise there would be stuff for them to do besides look out a window all day.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:49:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I looked into it once as a   fun option to head to southern California once and it about the same cost as flying and was going to take 2 or 3 days.  Forget THAT!
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:50:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I looked into it  as a fun option to head to southern California once.....it was about the same cost as flying and was going to take 2 or 3 days.  Forget THAT!
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:44:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Took the train to Colorado a few years ago. I've always been a railfan and was really looking forward to it. Don't think I'll ever do it again. Had to catch the train in Toledo at three in the morning, I live in Central Ohio, ended up having an ungodly long layover in Chicago, and we stopped at every podunk station along the way. Needless to say, I was a tad disappointed, kind of like taking the bus, you could just get up and walk longer aisles. I knew rail travel wasn't the fastest way to go, so that wasn't really a surprise, just was disappointed with the whole Amtrak experience. We went with three teenage boys, and made the best of it, but in the future, I think I'll drive or deal with the TSA Gestapo at the airport. Did get to see some interesting sights along the way, though.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:51:18 AM EDT
[#8]
My dad and stepmom took a train from MD to Tampa last year. Dad thought it would be relaxing, at least in the bar car.

He hated it, mostly because it took forever with all the stops they made.  They'll never travel by rail again.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:01:49 AM EDT
[#9]
The concept of getting on a train in a private car and drinking and fucking for a day or two until you get somewhere sounds appealing...

But...
1) It's way too expensive
-and-
2) It doesn't work out like in your imagination.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:03:59 AM EDT
[#10]

The one guy who works for me is married to a woman that is afraid to fly. They wanted to go to Disney World. So they took the train from NY.

He vowed never to do that again.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:40:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Where I live currently, there is a commuter train across the street that goes directly to the Amtrak station. Hence I have been tempted since I moved here to go somewhere on Amtrak just because it is so damn convenient. Plus the Amtrak stations at the places I want to go are with in walking distance of what I want to see.

The one thing that has stopped me from doing it is that the trains arrive in the places I want to go at between midnight and six in the morning. WTF am I supposed to do for several hours while nothing is open?

Also, somebody please tell me why Amtrak can get to Cleveland from Chicago in 6 hours and but it takes them 5 to get to Indy?
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:44:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I looked into it as a fun option to head to southern California once.....it was about the same cost as flying and was going to take 2 or 3 days. Forget THAT!
View Quote

I couldn't believe the prices. I was thinking I'd like to take a train out west somewhere, so I could see the country as I went through. Fuck that. The trip was going to take 3 days and cost twice as much as flying. No wonder passenger train travel is all but gone.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:47:59 AM EDT
[#13]
most people forget the rail stations are always in the shittiest part of any town.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:51:42 AM EDT
[#14]
I've taken the train to NYC a few times. 7hrs isn't bad, beyond that it gets tiresome.

Business class FTW. Much more room.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:13:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:21:40 AM EDT
[#16]

Probably because he's not a team member, thus can't tag or follow his own posts...
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:39:14 AM EDT
[#17]
do you like riding with Amish?
do you like the smell of the unwashed masses?

do you enjoy hearing Indian men call Daravi at 2:30 AM and laugh loudly on the phone for 3 hours?
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:55:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Financially it'll be a LOT cheaper and a lot more fun to just rent a car or mini can and drive it.cheaper, more flexibility, less weirdos and more fun
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 7:00:35 AM EDT
[#19]
No cost savings over flying.  Same TSA restrictions.  Public trans sucks outside of large cities and is infested with low class people.  Might as well just fly and rent or drive.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 7:05:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Going to Europe, then yes, by all means use the trains. Staying in the US -- avoid them. You will want to shoot yourself in the face.

Better yet, go Greyhound!!  (I kid, I kid....)
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 7:07:29 AM EDT
[#21]
I know it's not something that I'd want to do.  Don't romanticize it OP.  It might as well be the subway or public bus.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:14:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
most people forget the rail stations are always in the shittiest part of any town.
View Quote

Not the ones in Indy, Chicago, or Cleveland.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:27:48 PM EDT
[#23]
If I'm gonna travel by train, I'll just hop on a freight car
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:44:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Have you priced it?  

Just fly out and rent a nice suv/car stay in hotels you will spend a lot less and likely have a better time.

View Quote

Unfortunately this is very true during prime time summer vacation months.

Wait until after labor day and it's almost affordable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top