BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2003 12:13:39 PM EDT
Well?

NsB
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 12:15:53 PM EDT
[#1]
They're good at soccer and have a major rebel problem.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 12:16:12 PM EDT
[#2]
It's HBC.

Hot Babe Central.

Plus, it's really close to Anarctica.

And, it has a lot of surplus FAL kits.

Seriously, it's a great country in need of a stable government and economy.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 12:17:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Been there twice. Best beef in the world, absoluteley. I love walking along Florida in BA at lunchtime, seeing all the beautiful [i]Portenas[/i] strolling about doing their shopping. The Santa Fe region is positively gorgeous, as well. I'd like to have enough time to see more of the country next time I go.

Madre de Dios! My spelling is almost as bad as my [i]Castellano[/i].
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 12:18:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Alot

Spent 6 weeks in Buenos Aries while my dad was the RSO at the US Embassy. Got a nice tour of the city in the ferderal police's new Dauphin helicopter. (being a diplomat had some privlages).

Chorizo and chimichuri was awesome !
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 12:18:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Second the 'I know they have a bad rebel problem'.
They also have a bad problem with figuring out what their money is worth.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 12:23:34 PM EDT
[#6]
A beautiful country, that was arguably more well off than the US prior to 1900.  

-Lack of early industrialization
-a series of treasury squandering bad governments
-non participation in the wars (never HAD to ratchet up production, technology, and infastructure)

These factors put it behind Europe, Japan, and North America in terms of modernization and being a global player.

It's too bad, because it's a western culture (and thus is the best culture).

I suppose you're fishing to see what we know about you, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Link Posted: 12/19/2003 12:28:00 PM EDT
[#7]
1. A lot of cows

2. Used to be a very wealthy and prosperous country a hundred years ago

3. Lots of European immigrants moved there, especially Italians and German so it's pretty distinct ethnically from other South American countries (not a lot of descendants of slaves like in Brazil, not a lot of Meztizos like most Latin American countries). Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid fled there to hide from the law.

4. Had a big problem with military dictatorships, political repression, and hyperinflation in the 1940-1980's period.

5.  Until recently, had a currency board that pegged the Argentinian currency to an unsustainable 1:1 ratio with the US dollar.  I wrote an economics paper predicting it would fail, but I also predicted Argentina would adopt the US dollar, like Ecuador.  Wrong.

6.  I've read a lot of papers by Cavallo, but apparently he's corrupt and unpopular.

7.  Sooner or later Argentina will get its debt problem squared away and things will look very bright for them. The US only avoids similar problems because we have control of the currency our debts are enumerated in; we can effectively reduce our debts and screw our creditors by printing more money.

Most everything I know about Argentina is economics-related.  It's an interesting country in that regard.  Wouldn't mind living there, or in Chile.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 12:37:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I suppose you're fishing to see what we know about you, so correct me if I'm wrong.

View Quote

I'm going to write a lil something about my country on the 90s to compare some aspects of the US nowadays and I wanted to see how much/little you know about it.

So far pretty damn good [:)]

What kind of rebels are you guys referring to? *wondering*

NsB
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 1:02:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh yeah, forgot something: the girls are really friendly.

When I was visiting a friend in San Francisco, I was newly-arrived at the airport, waiting for a bus to take me into the city.  This cute 17 year old girl sits right down next to me, offers me some cookies and starts chatting with me.  She was an Argentine who was on exchange, and was visiting San Francisco.

I kept thinking it was so weird for a cute girl to just sit down and start talking to me, a complete stranger, like that (plus, I was 10 years older than her). Usually you have to fool American girls into talking to you, or have to know them a little bit. If you act like you're interested or want to be friendly to some girl you've never met, they usually ignore you or brush you off immediately.

As we talked, I asked her if she liked the US. She said the people were so unfriendly here.  I had to laugh at that, because until then, I was wondering why she was so friendly and what she wanted from me.

We chatted some more, got her on the right bus, and steered her away from a hostel in the Tenderloin District (scummy neighborhood full of addicts and homeless) towards another hostel in the nice North Beach district full of Italians she'd probably be comfortable around. Nice girl.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 1:11:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hot Babe Central.
View Quote

Yep, women here are incredible, you can walk ANY part of the country and see lovely and beautiful women of all ages.
We need a [b]decent[/b] stable goverment and economy...

Originally Posted DzlBenz:
Best beef in the world, absoluteley. I love walking along Florida in BA at lunchtime, seeing all the beautiful Portenas strolling about doing their shopping.
View Quote

Tell me about it! It's been 3 weeks that I'm skipping red meat (I'm on a diet) and I miss it like Hell!
I used to work on a building at the corner of Santa Fe and Florida, and now my father's place of work is 2 blocks from it, so I go there almost all weeks.

Originally Posted ANGST:
Got a nice tour of the city in the ferderal police's new Dauphin helicopter.
Chorizo and chimichuri was awesome!
View Quote

I did the same trip too!!!! That chopper is amazing!
I also had a night tour on an older helicopter, not pressurized and hi-tech and it was super cool too, as you could feel the vibration of the helicopter on the air.

Chimichurri is just the perfect condiment for our asados (BBQs), did you get "mollejas"? Those are the best!

Originally Posted DoubleFeed:
View Quote

It's been stable for a while now, on a $2.85-3.00 band per USD.
Everytime the goverment needs more money for hand outs, it gets a bit higher, damn incompetent liberal morons...

Originally Posted raven:
I've read a lot of papers by Cavallo, but apparently he's corrupt and unpopular.

Sooner or later Argentina will get its debt problem squared away and things will look very bright for them.
View Quote

I don't really know if corrupt as in "taking money", but sure unpopular... Thing is, some "need to take" measures are going to be unpopular no matter what and they're going to take the maker with them.

I honestly want to believe some day we'll get REALLY better, but I seriously doubt it (will explain more in depth on what I'm gonna write next week)

NsB
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 1:29:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I know that in '82 most of my family still in the UK went off to deal with them because they figured the Falklands belonged to them, since they were connected under the ocean. I also know one of the hottest women I've ever seen in my life was from Argentina. Beyond that, I don't know much about the place.

Cpt. Redleg
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 1:45:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll tell you what I learned over two months aboard one of their ships...

1) They produce some of the finest beef on the planet.

2) They drink Mate (a sort of green tea with enough sugar per cup to finance Fidel's Government for a whole day) like it was going out of style. Never tried it, because I never liked the idea of sucking tea through a straw that at least twenty other people had already sucked on. [puke]

3) They generally eat a very light breakfast, a medium lunch, and a HEAVY dinner. Dinner is served LATE (10-11 PM), and is followed by drinks and tobacco until at least 1 AM.

4) Thae Tango is more of a passion than a mere part of their culture.

5) They are perhaps the most advanced society in South America, both culturally and technologicaly.

6) Owing to number 5), they are also the most arrogant culture in South America.

7) They thought the Falklands (Malvinas) War was a complete waste, even though their pride is hurt at having lost (and believe me, they have no love lost to the British).

8) They are a FUNNY people who love to laugh, even at themselves.

9) They live in horror of the "dirty war" thay had to fight in order to defeat internal insurgents. They are happy at the outcome, but they are not proud of the methods.

10) They love noodles, wine, and beer.

11) They talk funny ("Che", "Vos", etc.) Their insults bear no resemblance to other Spanish countries ("Balim" instead of the traditional "maricon").

12) Their nation has some of the most visually stunning scenery on the surface of the planet.

13) They stamp EVERYTHING with "Industria Argentina".

14) They are REALLY laid back. How many navies do you know that stand watch in SHORTS?

All in all, they are a great bunch of people. Aside from the occaisional arrogant prick, I've always had good experiences with them.

How's that?
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 1:55:07 PM EDT
[#13]
They made some pistols with metal from the Graf Spree. [:D]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 1:56:32 PM EDT
[#14]
deimos,
I have a very close family friend that owns a plantation in Bolivia and complains that she is robbed blind on a normal basis from "people" coming accross the Argintina/Bolivia boarder. It has been going on for many years. I dont know about rebals, so I wont say, but I know that there are groups that cross the border to pray on farmers and plantation owners.

So I ask you, is this something that you have ever heard of?

Just wondering,
CH
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 2:06:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I just remembered something!

I once ran into this COMPLETE ASSHOLE who goes by the name "deimos" on the web....

er, wait a minute...

...OOPS! [bd]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 2:51:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Tell me about it! It's been 3 weeks that I'm skipping red meat (I'm on a diet) and I miss it like Hell!
I used to work on a building at the corner of Santa Fe and Florida, and now my father's place of work is 2 blocks from it, so I go there almost all weeks.
View Quote

Two words for you: Atkins Diet
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 2:54:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hot Babe Central.
View Quote

Yep, women here are incredible, you can walk ANY part of the country and see lovely and beautiful women of all ages.
We need a [b]decent[/b] stable goverment and economy...

Originally Posted DzlBenz:
Best beef in the world, absoluteley. I love walking along Florida in BA at lunchtime, seeing all the beautiful Portenas strolling about doing their shopping.
View Quote

Originally Posted ANGST:
Got a nice tour of the city in the ferderal police's new Dauphin helicopter.
Chorizo and chimichuri was awesome!
View Quote

I did the same trip too!!!! That chopper is amazing!
I also had a night tour on an older helicopter, not pressurized and hi-tech and it was super cool too, as you could feel the vibration of the helicopter on the air.

Chimichurri is just the perfect condiment for our asados (BBQs), did you get "mollejas"? Those are the best!

Originally Posted DoubleFeed:
View Quote

It's been stable for a while now, on a $2.85-3.00 band per USD.
Everytime the goverment needs more money for hand outs, it gets a bit higher, damn incompetent liberal morons...

Originally Posted raven:
I've read a lot of papers by Cavallo, but apparently he's corrupt and unpopular.

Sooner or later Argentina will get its debt problem squared away and things will look very bright for them.
View Quote

I don't really know if corrupt as in "taking money", but sure unpopular... Thing is, some "need to take" measures are going to be unpopular no matter what and they're going to take the maker with them.

I honestly want to believe some day we'll get REALLY better, but I seriously doubt it (will explain more in depth on what I'm gonna write next week)

NsB
View Quote

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!? no kidding! my dad works in the area too! actually one block away from santa fe and florida!
IM me!
HUNTER.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 3:08:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Cool, a reunion... sorta!
Break out the Bersas!
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 3:13:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm going to write a lil something about my country on the 90s to compare some aspects of the US nowadays and I wanted to see how much/little you know about it.

So far pretty damn good [:)]

What kind of rebels are you guys referring to? *wondering*

NsB
View Quote

Nestor, they might be talking about frigging piqueteros...i can't think of any other rebels at the moment.

HUNTER.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 3:15:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Break out the Bersas!
View Quote

Alliteration

[LOL]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 3:21:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Break out the Bersas!
View Quote

roflmao!

HUNTER.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 3:27:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 3:30:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 3:32:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I just remembered something!

I once ran into this COMPLETE ASSHOLE who goes by the name "deimos" on the web....

er, wait a minute...

...OOPS! [bd]
View Quote

Awww, shuddup balin! [:D]

Cape_hunter, never heard of such thing (that doesn't mean it never happens)

Hunter223, what you mean "friggin piqueteros"?
Don't you fully support their movement? SHAME ON YOU, SHAME ON YOU!!!!! [BD]

I thought they were referring to them, but I want to know what is known about them fuckers outside the country.

NsB

Link Posted: 12/19/2003 3:36:29 PM EDT
[#25]
I've never heard of the piqueteros.  What are they?  Communists?
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 3:39:31 PM EDT
[#26]
I know I banged a super-hot, filthy-rich( Her dad owned hotels and bus lines all over South America.) foriegn exchange student from there when I was in high school. The sound of a girl moaning in unintelligble Spanish is sexy as hell.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 3:42:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

You could say that, as the demand that the goverment gives them money and food on a regular basis... (and they fucking get it!)

NsB
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 3:56:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Some piqueteros 101

The "Piqueteros" is a movement that takes people from the outsiders and really poor people and leads them to cut streets, roads, road lines, etc as a way to show their power. And powerful they are.

While some of those people are really in need of assistance, most of them are just happy they can get a free hand out from the goverment in food and money. From all the special plans a family can get, plus the extra for "event", and other shit, they can get a nice ammount of money.
They're still poor and with lots of "unfilled needs" but they don't work for it.
While some people bust their asses on a shitty job to get $200-300 a month (less travel expenses and such), this mofos get $150/month for doing nada. (All paid for by our middle class assholes like myself)

And since the 70's the word "represion" in linked with tortures by the Army, state terrorism and such, they can do as they motherfucking please all around the place, without any reaction from the goverment, that, of course, likes to have a controlled mass so they have support on elections day.

Pretty fucked up and volatile situation. How we deal with it as a country will sign our fate as a real country. When the tit gets dry, if we don't have real jobs to offer to this (and other) people, we will have to lock, load and make our way into the airport.

NsB
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 4:19:01 PM EDT
[#29]
How are the laws regarding firearms?  Evidently the firearms industry thrives there.  Ops
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 4:25:50 PM EDT
[#30]
You've got great big pampas.  So I hear.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 4:33:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Mengele

[img]http://www.gesch.med.uni-erlangen.de/gewissen/ausstell/zwill/_bild/23_25.jpg[/img]

Eichmann

[img]http://www.skalman.nu/third-reich/bilder/eichmann-adolf.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 4:37:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

You could say that, as the demand that the goverment gives them money and food on a regular basis... (and they fucking get it!)

NsB
View Quote

We got that here also. It's called affirmative action and welfare...
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 4:41:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

I thought the Graf Spree was resting off the coast of Uruguay...?
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:03:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well.......Not really, but they think they are and are moved for the selfcalled revolution.
Bottomline, they're a bunch of frigging bumbs who do nothing but bother people who's really trying to get to their jobs.
They should all hang[:d]JK....JK.
HUNTER.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:41:41 PM EDT
[#35]
well i know them damn argy's love sleeping all the time
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid81/p4684e0ea91cb3576d79fe4786a021eed/fafd1286.jpg[/img]

[:D]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:48:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Oh yeah, Los Cadillacs Fabulosos is a good band.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 7:27:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I thought the Graf Spree was resting off the coast of Uruguay...?
View Quote

No man, they went down [0j] and salvaged it and made a shitload of Ballistar Molinas and M1928's (Sistemas) with the metal.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:29:02 PM EDT
[#38]
The only two things that matter:
Home of the Colt Model 1927 Sistema and the Tango.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:36:19 PM EDT
[#39]
I know Argentina is high on my list of places to explore some day.  I'd love to sail around South America, on about a three year time frame.  Some day....
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 7:59:50 AM EDT
[#40]
I had the most wonderful slab of cow in la Chacra in BA.

I went to Argentina with a friend, and his hometown was BA.  He introduced me to his grandfather, who was a captain on the second-place team in WWII.  A pretty neat old guy.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 1:43:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
well i know them damn argy's love sleeping all the time
[url]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid81/p4684e0ea91cb3576d79fe4786a021eed/fafd1286.jpg[/url]

[:D]
View Quote

LMAO!
HUNTER.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top