Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/23/2004 7:15:52 AM EST
Thinking about getting one as a pocket pistol.

Poll coming.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:16:38 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:17:42 AM EST
decent BUG. Hold on tight with +P ammo
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:20:20 AM EST

Originally Posted By HiramRanger:
I have the .32, going to step up to the .380 after campaign season when I have a little more scratch available.

ditto
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:22:33 AM EST
My P-11 isn't that much larger and is a real 9mm - still a lightweight (I prefer a .45) but it has held up well and doesn't take up a lot of room in a pocket. If the .380 is as well built, you shouldn't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:25:19 AM EST
I hate the heavy trigger pull on those type of guns. Get a baby glock.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:28:18 AM EST
love mine.

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:29:11 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:30:45 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/23/2004 7:31:26 AM EST by 95thFoot]
Yo- it's da bomb. Word!
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:30:56 AM EST
Couldn't be happier with mine. Slip it into the pocket (with DeSantis Nemesis) and it disappears. Plenty accurate enough at fighting distances. Go for it, you can't beat the value. I do strictly carry it as a BUG to my G27, never alone.

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:34:44 AM EST

Originally Posted By HiramRanger:
Jesus Christ... baby Glock? We're not even remotely talking about the same frame size. The Kel-tec .380 is like a mm or two larger than the .32. It is a single stack, deep concealment firearm. The kind you can drop into the pocket of your shorts and not have to worry about it printing, hanging heavily in the pocket... pulling down your pants. Its apples and oranges. My Glock 27 and my Keltec P-32 (essentially the same size as the .380) are so vastly different that they shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath.

Exactly. The little Kel-Tec's (I have a .32, and have shot a .380 - a guys at the range) are so tiny that you can conceal them anywhere, with virtually no effort.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:39:06 AM EST
I am happy with mine. You know what they say about opinions and assholes though.
Just a tip, my and several others I have heard of only like to eat Federal redbox ammo. It runs like a sewing machine on that stuff but fails to extract properly on other stuff. Here is a web site devoted to Keltecs.
http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi
I hadnt been there for a while and am bummed they got hacked. They are rebuilding thier data base but its still a good site. I use a Headly pocket holster for mine and I carry it everywhere.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:56:32 AM EST
I have a .32 and have shot the .380. I actually think the .380 is a better shooter. Maybe they worked out some of the kinks.

I want the .380 but just haven't gotten roundtoit yet. But my P40 stays in my pocket virtually all the time, anyway.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:01:08 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/23/2004 8:03:54 AM EST by imposter]
I wish Gaston would make a single stack 9. I carry a 26 in my front pocket on occassion, but it only works with baggy/pleated pants.

I know quite a few people with the .32 and they all seem to like it. IIRC, the penetration with the .32 and .380 is lacking.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:14:53 AM EST
Trigger pull=sucky.

Do a trigger job on it and it will be fine. As others mentioned, hold on with higher pressure ammo; that is if you can find a place on the gun to hold it!
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:20:52 AM EST
It isn't the best shooter out there, but mine is nice. I'd buy another one without hesistation.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:50:11 AM EST

Originally Posted By xbigfootx:
It isn't the best shooter out there, but mine is nice. I'd buy another one without hesistation.

+1 I carry in a RJ Hedley pocket holster
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 10:19:45 AM EST
Just say "NO!" to Kel-Krap.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 10:24:17 AM EST
No Kel Tec 4 me
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:23:14 PM EST
It's a nice pistol for the purpose. I had one and traded it off. It's something I would only use for light clothing - note my location. But, as with an earlier poster, I can get a bigger caliber in a pistol not much larger. Someone mentioned a P-11 Kel-Tec; I have a P-40 - same size as P-11 - for pocket duty only in very light clothing. Otherwise, I carry a Colt Defender .45 in my pocket.

Note that the .380 Kel-Tec has no slide hold back. These are not "precision" pistols, target pistols, "range" pistols or anything else "fine". They are "down and dirty" for real use as a belly-gun. That's it. I don't think Kel-Tec intends them for anything else. None of this is to criticize, just reality. For a belly-gun, they are adequate. Remember, for civilian carry and use, you are not going to shoot more than 10 feet (ok, I know about the 21 foot knife bit). Better not, or you are going to jail. I can honestly recommend one so long as one recognizes the limitations. But, I would also suggest you think about a P-11 and, here's an alternative: a derringer. Look at a Bond derringer. Yes, two shots, but reliable ones. It's a hunk of steel, not plastic. I have one in .45acp and would rather have two of those rounds than 7 .380s.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:26:12 PM EST
I love mine after looking around for a while. I have a g27, but the P3AT with my Galco pocket holster is perfect. I can carry it on the beach with a bathing suit....
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:27:34 PM EST
Spend a little more and get a Kahr PM9. Not much bigger and it's a 9mm. You can shoot +P too.

I heard the KT .380 had issues.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:29:03 PM EST
I like the KelTek, but not .380's. I'd rather have the 9mm. (Not that I like 9mm's, but in that particular gun).
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:38:50 PM EST
Get a Colt Mustang... many varities to choose from.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:42:18 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:46:55 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/23/2004 5:47:35 PM EST by bigbore]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:49:02 PM EST
The KT .380 does not have slide lock on empty, and it seems to have reliability issues.

I would go with the KT P32 before the 380 because the P32 DOES have the slide lock.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:00:46 PM EST
Hard to beat for price and weight. Extended family has 4 total, 2 .32's (.380 was not an option then) and 2 .380's. One of the .380's has been back to the factory and basically replaced as the take down pin kept walking out. All go bang with 5 lb trigger pulls.

Palm cases make great carry all's, front pocket shirt and pants carry is okay.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:11:20 PM EST
400+ rounds through my P3AT with no REAL complaints. Mine is a bit picky about the ammo it likes, but works FLAWLESSLY with Corbons, Gold Dots, and Ranger SXTs.

As others have mentioned the trigger is very heavy, the pistol is very light, and the sights are almost non existant... But the same can be said for the squirt guns I had when I was a kid, and I still managed to hit what I was shooting at then, and now.

It ain't as "good" as a Kimber or a Glock, but you can't hide either of those in a pair of speedo's! I know the .380 will not penetrate like a 9x19, but it beats the snot out of knuckles and fingernails.

This pistol is truly the "American Express" of CCW pistols. Don't leave home without it...
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:16:01 PM EST
Once I put the finger extension on the mags, the gun has run flawlessly. I carry my P3AT everywhere. Alot of times I cannot carry a larger gun due to my business and attire. I always feel confident with my KelTec. I have run several hundred rounds through it and have had no problems. The gun is surprisingly accurate for it's size and will serve very well from 7 yards in.

Without the finger extension, it is very easy to limp wrist the gun and cause FTE.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:41:11 PM EST
I have both the P32 and the P3AT. Both have been 100% reliable with FMJ and STHP. The P32 has 300 rds though it , the P3AT has 400 rds. Plus they are concealable in a pants pocket so you ALWAYS have it available. That really is the bottom line.

The STHP does not stablize well and keyholes past 15 yards. Your results might differ - the barrel is obviously not match-grade on a weapon designed for 10 yards and closer, often much closer. Accuracy is in the 1.5 - 2" range at 7 yards: the sights are vestigal and imprecise, and the trigger pull, while quite useful for pocket carry, is of course not a match trigger by any means (not heavy, just long with plenty of overtravel).

Velocities for the various factory loads run about 100 fps less than published, due to the abreviated barrel on the Kel-Tec. I like FMJ, which has the advantage of greater penetration in these sub-calibres, and is always reliable.

The guns are incredibly thin (about 3/4") and light at around 7 oz unloaded. Recoil feels subjectively less than a Walther/S&W PPK, due to the fact that the PPK is straight blowback, and the Kel-Tec operates with a locked breech. The Kel-Tec is also nicely rounded and has no sharp edges to abrade. The grip angle is fairly straight, so if you are a 1911 flat mainspring housing type, it will point perfectly for you. Glock shooters will need to adjust.

Due to the light weight of these guns, if you are a limp-wristing girly-man, you may get malfunctions. If you are an inexperienced shooter, the recoil of a heavy .380 load might be alarming in such a small, thin and light weight weapon, you might get malfunctions due to your ambivalent terror-filled grip. A firm grip and locked-wrist is essential, but all very small guns have their quirks.

The inexpensive price, polymer construction and simplified manufacturing methods lead some to dismiss the guns as junk, which they are most certainly not. Like all edge-technology items, there have been some growing pains, and Kel-Tec has upgraded some components over time. The currently-made examples are excellent, and also an excellent value. They are certainly equal to the more expensive NAA, Beretta and grossly overpriced Seecamp weapons, in terms of function and utility, and the Kel-Tec is superior when you consider cost and concealability. Nothing else is as small or as light or as reliable.

I've used them as an only gun, and as a back-up gun to "real" pistol. Again, my 2 guns, which are the only ones I have ever bought, are 100% reliable. Kel-Tec service is also excellent if you have a problem. I think those that have problems with the current guns are the type of people that will have a problem with ANY firearm they buy - - you know the type.

Some stocking dealers are not fond of the Kel-Tec, as the profit margin is small due to the low selling price. They would rather sell you a Beretta or Seecamp and make an extra $50-100 or more for the same sale. And of course if they can convince you that a Kahr PM9 is the same thing only better (which it is neither), they'll pick up an extra $150 on the same sale. So some of them will trash the gun.

Where I live it is almost impossible to keep them in stock - - police officers are buying them in droves as back-up guns, and they are inexpensive enough that the regular gun owner could buy one to try. If you are a tinkerer it is a fun little gun, as they are rough-looking inside, although this does not seem to affect the reliabilty. You can get out your paper and stones and felt wheel and Flitz and enjoy polishing out the machine marks. Kel-Tec sells a +1 mag extension that adds very little to the size of the weapon, but give a much better grip and adds a shot. They will also sell you an entire grip frame (the legal "receiver" is an aluminum insert) in your choice of olive drab, ivory, grey or blue. Women in particular like the P32 as recoil is very light and it a weapon that conceals without being made to feel like a gunslinger (male role).

I recommend the P3AT or P32 without reservation. And NO, I don't work for them, or sell their products, and I don't care for the P11 at all (had one, sold it).

Link Posted: 10/10/2004 9:10:46 PM EST
I have a P32 it's been in my pocket for a year. Took it out the other day while shooting and pulled the trigger and no Bang. It kinda pissed me off. So got home and put my BABY 22 back where it belongs in my pocket. I'm hoping keltek will fix it. This is the 2nd time its not fired and it was not reliable the other day. I'm thinking it may have a light hammer spring.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 9:13:41 PM EST
I dont own a .380, but I own the p11 9mm. I love it. The trigger sucks, but its tiny, holds 11 rounds of SXT, and has gone bang every time I have ever pulled the trigger. It slips in the front pocket of every pair of pants I have.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:57:51 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/11/2004 5:00:57 AM EST by Green_Canoe]
I shot three different ones this summer. Only one worked flawlessly. The grip is too small. I have to take a funny hold to keep my thumb out of the way of my trigger finger as I squeeze the trigger. Otherwise, they weren't too bad. Recoil was o.k. and I was getting 6" groups at 50 feet with the simple sights they have.

Kent
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:00:30 AM EST

I love it, because I can carry it no matter what I am wearing. I have the pocket clip, and I slip it into my right hand hip pocket, with the butt sticking out, covered by a T-shirt. Very fast draw, and light enough to wear and nearly forget.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:21:32 AM EST

Originally Posted By Herzo:
My P-11 isn't that much larger and is a real 9mm - still a lightweight (I prefer a .45) but it has held up well and doesn't take up a lot of room in a pocket. If the .380 is as well built, you shouldn't be disappointed.

Comparing the P-3AT to any Glock is apples and oranges. There are lots of times in the middle of summer that it's too hot to wear anything that lets you conceal a Glock. The P-3AT, however, can be concealed in any attire. It's the same story with the P-11. The P-11 is certainly smaller than a Glock 26, but the P-3AT still vastly expands your carry options.

I shoot my P-3AT a fair amount at the range, and it always goes bang. +Ps aren't a joy to shoot, but they're the way to go. This isn't my only carry gun, but there lots of times I bring it along because it's better than having nothing.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:43:57 AM EST
250 rounds through my P3AT with no FTF's or FTE's. That was using 200 rounds of .380 ball and 50 rounds of Gold Dots.

It was some uncomfortable shooting after the first 30 rounds, so a friend of mine and I took turns getting our fingers rubbed raw.

But, living in FL with shorts being daily wear, it is just perfect for slipping into my pocket and going about my business.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:51:59 AM EST

Originally Posted By fizassist:

Comparing the P-3AT to any Glock is apples and oranges. There are lots of times in the middle of summer that it's too hot to wear anything that lets you conceal a Glock. The P-3AT, however, can be concealed in any attire. It's the same story with the P-11. The P-11 is certainly smaller than a Glock 26, but the P-3AT still vastly expands your carry options.

Must get awful hot there. For most of the summer (here in metro Philly PA), I kept a G23 under an unbuttoned, untucked hawaiian shirt. My G26 would have hidden even better, and my NAA G380 is my "go anywhere" gun. I won't say some of the places I've had it. I keep the 380 loaded with two winchester silvertips, and the rest is ball. It's no fun to shoot, but if I need to shoot it, fun is no longer a consideration.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:59:29 AM EST
My dad hasa P3AT, and I have fired it a couple of times. It is surprisingly accurate, and reliable. I picked one up for myself the day I got my CCW. It's a perfect 9-5 carry piece.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:00:14 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:09:53 AM EST
I've got a Kel-Tec .32 for a backup weapon and have fired hundreds of rounds through it with no complaint. One mistake I often see is people try to "press-fire" it like a Glock instead of taking the full-stroke through the DAO and the Kel-Tec was never designed to do that (hold the trigger back after the first round is fired and then expect the internal hammer spring to provide sufficient force to detonate the next primer without pulling the trigger all the way through.)

When I first saw the Kel-Tec .32, all I thought was "get this POS away from me"

After I fired one through about 2 boxes of shells, (100 rounds) I bought one.

I believe that the naysayers posting "No" here really need to STFU until they have actually shot one (and firing one mag through a friend's at the range does not count. Shoot at least a box of shells though it before making a comment )
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:40:18 AM EST
I have one and love it.

One suggestion though is to do a "fluff-and-buff" when it's brand new out of the box. (See Keltec owners group web site for details.) Don't over do it, the idea is to just get rid of the rough edges that you'd expect on a gun of this price.

I took the time to smooth mine up when it was new, and so far I have had exactly ONE problem (failure to extract) since having the gun and putting several hundred rounds through it.

Also, I highly recommend a pocket holster from Hedley Holsters. Best pocket holster made in my opinion.

As for anyone referring to the .380 as a mouse gun, let's see you carry something larger in Texas when it's 110 outside with just a T-shirt and shorts. With the P3-AT, it's no problem. I carry my P3-AT in the hottest summer months, and my .45 the rest of the year.

Ed
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:40:41 AM EST

Originally Posted By bigbore:

I shoot my P-3AT a fair amount at the range, and it always goes bang. +Ps aren't a joy to shoot, but they're the way to go. This isn't my only carry gun, but there lots of times I bring it along because it's better than having nothing.

That’s logic I never understood. I have a CCW because I feel it may save my life someday. If its hot out, I don’t consider my life any less important, and I don’t consider carrying a large quality firearm a burden when considering its my life I'm defending. The firearm shouldn’t be determined by the clothing or weather conditions, the firearm should determine the clothing. I have yet to find a situation where I can’t conceal a full size 1911 “weather”(pun intended) I’m wearing shorts and a T shirt, or a suit and tie.

Of the broken Kel-Tecs I’ve seen, each one was 100% reliable, until the time they broke

Spend a few years in South FL. And on top of that, try to hide a full size 1911 on a 6'2" 165 lb. frame. Even in a suit and tie, they print too much on me for my liking of a "concealed" weapon.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:41:15 AM EST

Originally Posted By RAVYN:
love mine.

Ditto.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:45:10 AM EST
I have one and it is pretty sweet. I just use a Uncle Mike's #1 pocket holster and hydrashocks or golden sabers.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:53:56 AM EST
How does it compare size wise to a NAA380?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:54:25 AM EST
I've been trying to decide between the Kel-Tec .380 or the S&W 626 .38 snubbie for deep carry.

I'm still not sold on the reliability of the Kel-Tec.

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:59:06 AM EST

That’s logic I never understood. I have a CCW because I feel it may save my life someday. If its hot out, I don’t consider my life any less important, and I don’t consider carrying a large quality firearm a burden when considering its my life I'm defending. The firearm shouldn’t be determined by the clothing or weather conditions, the firearm should determine the clothing. I have yet to find a situation where I can’t conceal a full size 1911 “weather”(pun intended) I’m wearing shorts and a T shirt, or a suit and tie.

Of the broken Kel-Tecs I’ve seen, each one was 100% reliable, until the time they broke

My job dictates my clothing (uniform) and activities while at work (medic. Lots of bending, squatting,, lifting, etc.). The job also puts me in contact with LEOs and others who would be quick to pick up on ANY printing or such. While many situations allow for casual concealment of a larger pistol, if one were to hypothetically decide to carry in an occupation like mine, the kel-tec would be an excellent choice. It could be dropped in the front pant pocket (in a pocket holster of course) with an little velcro tab sewn into the pocket to keep it closed, and be completely concealed.

IWB would show sooner or later on the job, smart carry would be uncomfortable in some of the positions a medic assumes regularly, ankle carry would show. Any heavier pocket pistol would cause the pants to droop too much.

The kel-tec pistols fill a specific nitch, and fill it well.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:08:29 AM EST

I certainly understand your argument, but I don't understand how you can effectively conceal a full size 1911 in any attire.

What was the nature of these breakages?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:41:58 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/11/2004 9:43:01 AM EST by jfrush]

So was my Kahr until it broke, The side blew out of it and the magazine fell to the ground.
So was my Beretta 92FS until it jammed.
So was my Bushmaster AR-15 Until it jammed
So were both my Ruger 10/22's until they jammed or had a FTF

And yes I clean my guns. I never put them up dirty.

I just bought a Kel-Tec .380 a couple of days ago and have not had time to shoot it.

Picture of my Kahr after a KB

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:23:36 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/11/2004 3:18:29 PM EST by bigbore]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top