Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/25/2005 11:51:26 AM EDT
The throery that every 10-15 thousand years the earth shits out a enormous flooding super storm that pretty much developed the whole flood story from the bible. Every civiilzation has a flood story. We're talking ones as different as the Indians and the Asian peoples all having stories pretty much the same from the exact same time periods. There is some evidence to support it from geography and biology such as the caves full of various animals all impacted together at tremendous force. The sediments full of dead crushed forests. Just got me to thinking about our current weather situations and this theory. I read once that Einstein was a big proponent of it as well.  I think one of his contemporaries in Russia wrote a book called "Worlds in Collision".
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 11:53:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I think if you believe that you should build a boat out of your tinfoil.

Link Posted: 10/25/2005 11:53:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I think 10000 has a comma in it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 11:54:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I think they should BAN THAT STORM!
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 11:55:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Fixed it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 11:55:06 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Not in some countries.
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 11:55:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Uhhh...What's a cubit?
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 11:55:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 11:57:41 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Uhhh...What's a cubit?

"Noah?  How long can you tread water?"

Link Posted: 10/25/2005 11:57:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 11:58:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fixed it.

Link Posted: 10/25/2005 12:02:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I thought the reason Methuselah lived 969 years was because the Earth he lived in was surrounded by ice, and that kept the sun’s deadly aging rays off of him.

Then one day, all the ice melted – and boom – instant flood.

Wait a tick.  969 years…969?

969 years times 12 months in a year equals 11628   [Edited: 11,628].

1 + 1 + 6 = 8

969 = 8 2 8

or

!
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 12:04:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Using the "tinfoil hat" bullshit is just dumb. If you havent read up on a subject and have nothing to say other then that why waste our time? It's just so asinine. I really think some people sit on here just waiting for anything they don't like to pop up so they can bust balls. One mans "tinfoil hat"  theory is another mans New Testament.

Can we possibly keep this directed towards the topic. I hate when we always end up letting every thread degrade into nothing more then wasted bandwidth. If you've got nothing to add that isn't going to get a converstion about the topic going then please don't bother. Not just this thread but the others as well. It is getting really old on here anymore with all the useless morons trying to be witty and failing miserably.
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 12:05:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I thought the reason Methuselah lived 969 years was because the Earth he lived in was surrounded by ice, and that kept the sun’s deadly aging rays off of him.

Then one day, all the ice melted – and boom – instant flood.

Wait a tick.  969 years…969?

969 years times 12 months in a year equals 11628.

1 + 1 + 6 = 8

969 = 8 2 8

or

!

I have officially seen it all.

HTF did you come up with that?
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 12:07:55 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The throery that every 10-15 thousand years the earth shits out a enormous flooding super storm that pretty much developed the whole flood story from the bible. Every civiilzation has a flood story. We're talking ones as different as the Indians and the Asian peoples all having stories pretty much the same from the exact same time periods. There is some evidence to support it from geography and biology such as the caves full of various animals all impacted together at tremendous force. The sediments full of dead crushed forests. Just got me to thinking about our current weather situations and this theory. I read once that Einstein was a big proponent of it as well.  I think one of his contemporaries in Russia wrote a book called "Worlds in Collision".

Whoever came up with that is off his meds.  It's a mishmosh of overgeneralized factoids forcibly rammed together into an incohesive argument.. A common tactic of those theorists that read a few misspelled webpages and proclaim themselves "experts".

You see that shit with UFO's, hollow-earth theories, bigfoot.. The list goes on and on.

Yet another sad comment on the state of science education (and perhaps mental health services) in this country.
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 12:08:18 PM EDT
[#15]
how much tinfoil does it take to wrap the ark?
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 12:10:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Using the "tinfoil hat" bullshit is just dumb. If you havent read up on a subject and have nothing to say other then that why waste our time? It's just so asinine. I really think some people sit on here just waiting for anything they don't like to pop up so they can bust balls. One mans "tinfoil hat"  theory is another mans New Testament.

Can we possibly keep this directed towards the topic. I hate when we always end up letting every thread degrade into nothing more then wasted bandwidth. If you've got nothing to add that isn't going to get a converstion about the topic going then please don't bother. Not just this thread but the others as well. It is getting really old on here anymore with all the useless morons trying to be witty and failing miserably.

Ok how is this.

10,000 years ago the whole world was a very small place to the inhabitants. there were no tv's or internet that could connect places that they didn't even know existed into their caves.

If a flood, and what caveman has not seen a flood, affected a large region it would seem like it effected everywhere. That doesn't mean because it flooded the Tigres that the Mississippi flooded as well.

Of couse YMMV.

So where does all of this water from this storm come from since you want to talk seriously?????
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 12:11:58 PM EDT
[#17]
10,000 years, eh?

I guess that means we've got 7995 to go.
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 12:13:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Do I look like I believe in any of that stuff???
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 12:13:33 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm glad I bought my 30 acres on the moon!

Link Posted: 10/25/2005 12:15:38 PM EDT
[#20]
We spies, we slow hands....

Oh, I'm sorry, were you saying something that made sense? No? Okay.

...you put the weights all around yourself...
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 12:17:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Well i am trying to learn more on it but to try and keep this going

1. I would assume if we wish to believe the storm theory that it would water from the polar ice caps causing the floods

2. If it was just a flood that effected one general area why is it that the cultures on different continents have a general flood legend/story all occurring in the same era?

3.What would cause enormous tracts of forest to be crushed and destroyed at a single time?

Maybe it was good ol' Jesus.
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 12:17:43 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I'm glad I bought my 30 acres on the moon!

It might be possible for the water to get deep enough to get you there, after all the earth "shit" this storm.
I didn't say it would.....I said "might".

Link Posted: 10/25/2005 12:22:42 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Well i am trying to learn more on it but to try and keep this going

1. I would assume if we wish to believe the storm theory that it would water from the polar ice caps causing the floods

2. If it was just a flood that effected one general area why is it that the cultures on different continents have a general flood legend/story all occurring in the same era?

3.What would cause enormous tracts of forest to be crushed and destroyed at a single time?

Maybe it was good ol' Jesus.

So in your world, the water from the polar regions if it melts, will get evaporated into a storm cloud then rain to flood instead of the sea levels just rising and THEN have enough volume to cover the entire surface of the earth.

You believe this to be in any way feasable.

Plus if you believe God did this why don't you believe him when he promised to never do it again.
You know that rainbow thing???
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 12:24:25 PM EDT
[#24]

every 10-15 thousand years the earth shits out a enormous flooding super storm

Quoted:

Man, there are asinine remarks to legitimate topics (economy for example) but then there are just asinine topics that deserve asinine remarks.

How can we properly argue with an anal retentive earth's fascination with big round numbers?
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 12:26:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Some of you are the most narrowminded backwards singularly stereotypical gunowners that make it easy for people to look down at us.
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 12:32:40 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Some of you are the most narrowminded backwards singularly stereotypical gunowners that make it easy for people to look down at us.

Yup.  

And the rest of us replied to your post.

Link Posted: 10/25/2005 12:52:05 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

"Worlds in Collision" by Immanuel Velikovsky. I read it many, many moons ago. IIRC it is not about storms buy asteroid or comet hitting earth. Pretty well de-bunked.

Vic out.
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 1:00:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Laugh if you must, but when Y10K comes callin, the world will get a well-deserved douching.
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 1:02:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Stop being so silly - we know God promised there would never be another flood like Noah's.

There will, however, be a big fire.
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 1:04:39 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Stop being so silly - we know God promised there would never be another flood like Noah's.

to be followed by a sing-a-long and marshmallow roasting
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 1:04:54 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Laugh if you must, but when Y10K comes callin, the world will get a well-deserved douching.

I guess I need to get better prepared.....

[runstosurvivalforum]

Oh, wait........I can wait. I got 7995 years. Whew!!!!
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 1:06:50 PM EDT
[#32]
I would be more concerned about a nuclear war.
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 1:08:20 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess I need to get better prepared.....

[runstosurvivalforum]

Oh, wait........I can wait. I got 7995 years. Whew!!!!

That's right. And if you buy just ONE CASE of ammo a month, when the global lavage hits, you will be prepared with 95,940,000 rounds of Lake City just a waitin fer soggy zombies to come oozing out of the slime.

Link Posted: 10/25/2005 1:11:48 PM EDT
[#34]
And if the ice caps did melt, wouldnt sea level go down?  I mean since most of the ice is underwater and ice takes up more space than water does.
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 1:26:54 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
And if the ice caps did melt, wouldnt sea level go down?  I mean since most of the ice is underwater and ice takes up more space than water does.

That only works in a glass of ice tea.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 1:30:45 PM EDT
[#36]
I dont even think it would be possible for the Earth to flood.

Maybe if the Earth took on a second moon then there would be enough gravity to push the water out from where the moons orbited onto the land.   Im not an astrophyisicist and I am just using my intuition on making a theory.

I think the Earth gets its gravity from the moon(some of it maybe,  maybe not)  THe more gravity the more dense h20 would become.  The more dense h20 became the less space it would take.  And we know that the water is affected by the moon (the tides),  or maybe just the Earth's rotation.  Not 100% sure if the moon theory causing our tides is proven yet,.

So if we had two moons each on opposite sides of the Earth then gravity would be much greater and the tides would be different.  The moon pushes water out from where it is I think that is what causes the tides.  So two moons would push more water and the tides would be greater.

Still practically IMPOSSIBLE to make the whole Earth flood in my opinion.

I guess a better theory would be if the moon took off from Earth and we lost gravity.  Then maybe we would start to form a gas atmosphere or the density of h20 would change and fill up more spacce since it had more gas in it.  Then the sea levels would rise.

Pretty sure  we would be dead by killer storms at that point anyways though since the moon protects us from becoming like Jupiter.

But then again I know nothing about what im talking about.
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 1:33:05 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I think the Earth gets its gravity from the moon, thats just what I think. THe more gravity the more dense h20 would become. The more dense h20 became the less space it would take. And we know that the water is affected by the moon (the tides), or maybe just the Earth's rotation. Not 100% sure if the moon theory causing our tides is proven yet,.

Link Posted: 10/25/2005 1:33:43 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ah-HA! I've netted an imposter Texan! There is no such thing as "ice(d) tea" in Texas! There's only "sweetea!"

Ban him!
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 1:36:12 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

to be followed by a sing-a-long and marshmallow roasting

When you attend a funeral,
It is sad to think that sooner or'l
Later those you love will do the same for you.
And you may have thought it tragic,
Not to mention other adjec-
Tives, to think of all the weeping they will do.
(But don't you worry.)

No more ashes, no more sackcloth,
And an arm band made of black cloth
Will some day nevermore adorn a sleeve.
For if the bomb that drops on you
Gets your friends and neighbors too,
There'll be nobody left behind to grieve.

And we will all go together when we go.
What a comforting fact that is to know.
Universal bereavement,
An inspiring achievement,
Yes, we will all go together when we go.

We will all go together when we go.
All suffused with an incandescent glow.
No one will have the endurance
To collect on his insurance,
Lloyd's of London will be loaded when they go.

Oh we will all fry together when we fry.
We'll be french fried potatoes by and by.
There will be no more misery
When the world is our rotisserie,
Yes, we will all fry together when we fry.

Down by the old maelstrom,
There'll be a storm before the calm.

And we will all bake together when we bake.
There'll be nobody present at the wake.
With complete participation
In that grand incineration,
Nearly three billion hunks of well-done steak.

Oh we will all char together when we char.
And let there be no moaning of the bar.
Just sing out a Te Deum
When you see that I.C.B.M.,*
And the party will be come-as-you-are.

Oh, we will all burn together when we burn.
There'll be no need to stand and wait your turn.
When it's time for the fallout
And Saint Peter calls us all out,
We'll just drop our agendas and adjourn.

You will all go directly to your respective Valhallas.
Go directly, do not pass Go, do not collect two hundred dollahs.

And we will all go together when we go.
Every Hottentot and every Eskimo.
When the air becomes uranious,
We will all go simultaneous.
Yes, we all will go together
When we all go together,
Yes we all will go together when we go.

Link Posted: 10/25/2005 1:36:37 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

But then again I know nothing about what im talking about.

I am going to be forced to agree with you.

Link Posted: 10/25/2005 1:37:00 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I would counter that to post such crackpot theories and argue their merit more completely disgraces the ranks of gun owners.  It certainly helps the portrayal of us as badly educated mouthbreathers with a poor understanding of the world around us.  In fact, a scientific and skeptical view of these sorts of theories is critical if one doesn't wish to fall into the common trap of BELIEVING, then warping the evidence to suit and drawing conclusions unsupported by that evidence.  

To go point by point though, oral history and the legends it spawns don't come with date tags.  Correllation of timeframes of "flood" stories is impossible.  Our ancestors way back when also lived in what are easily floodable areas.  The destruction of a flood is so immense, it's no wonder stories carried down.

Polar icecaps don't explain the sudden appearance of that much water.  Melting is slow and would cause a gradual rise of sea levels, but it's a moot point as there has been no evidence to support a massive meltoff (or pole shift) within the span of human history.

I'd like to see what they're calling enormous forests being crushed but more likely than not, it's a misreading of compacted vegitation as occurs in a peat bog or whatnot.  Remember that normal (and known) natural processes have turned biological matter to oil and coal through time, depth, and tremendous pressure.

Just so's you know, the scientific method is based around those proposing a theory PROVING it, not the rest of the world DISPROVING it.  It's a common ploy among these pseudo-scientists to punch up some lame BS, then trumpet it as some sort of triumph when more conservative thinkers can't instantly prove it 100% false.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 1:39:02 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ah-HA! I've netted an imposter Texan! There is no such thing as "ice(d) tea" in Texas! There's only "sweetea!"

Ban him!

that's not true, I've never ordered a sweet tea in Tx, and I was born here, been all around it. Alot of people drink their tea sweet, but we order ICE TEA. Now if you see someone order a hot tea.
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 1:41:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Either way I dont care because Ill find away to still exist and that is all that matters
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 2:09:59 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I think the Earth gets its gravity from the moon

and that's because it's flat!!

wganz

Link Posted: 10/25/2005 2:26:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Ironically that would upset all the doom and gloomers and their pet theory of global warming.

I heard something about this once but never read anything I could remember.
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 3:46:55 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ban him!

that's not true, I've never ordered a sweet tea in Tx, and I was born here, been all around it. Alot of people drink their tea sweet, but we order ICE TEA. Now if you see someone order a hot tea.

Ditto what MuRDoC said... that is my expereince as well.    
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 3:55:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Well, since the flood was within the last 6K years I think we're pretty safe.  Besides, God promised to clense the earth with something else next time.
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 3:59:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 4:02:40 PM EDT
[#49]
wont matter after 2012.
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 4:22:18 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

the rainbow is God's promise it won't happen again.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top