Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/4/2006 9:09:23 PM EDT
Never saw it on TV, so I bought the box set for $30 from Wally World.

I'm on about episode 7 or so, and god damn this series is incredible.  Brings the same feelings Band of Brothers did.

I'm very impressed.

What are your opinions?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:10:08 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I'm on about episode 7 or so, and god damn this series is incredible.  Brings the same feelings Band of Brothers did.

I'm very impressed.

What are your opinions?

I really like it.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:11:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I'm very impressed.

What are your opinions?

I saw the 1st 'pilot' episode - and it seemed a bit contrived (leaving the female soldiers up front with the infantry guys - but then again the Army sent me to Korea, not Iraq - I don't know how 'realistic' that was)... Haven't seen anymore - is it worth the BitTorrent download?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:11:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought it was great. The "roadblock/checkpoint" episode was one of the most intense hours of TV I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:12:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought it was okay but It was far from BoB in comparison.
Consensus here, it was a joke.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:12:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Apparently you guys are in the minority, cause the show was cancelled shortly after its final episode.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:41:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Saw the first episode...it was a bunch of Hanoi Jane, you-die-GI, your girlfriend is sleeping with Bart Simpson, pro-Communist bullshit.  I never watched another episode and never will.  To Hell with the pro-terrorist propagandists.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:43:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I downloaded the pilot episode and did a quick "skimming". The few clips I watched prompted me to delete it without viewing it...
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:43:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Saw the first episode...it was a bunch of Hanoi Jane, you-die-GI, your girlfriend is sleeping with Bart Simpson, pro-Communist bullshit.  I never watched another episode and never will.  To Hell with the pro-terrorist propagandists.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:49:22 PM EDT
[#9]
came off to me as Look our troops are bunch of blood thirsty goons.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:51:50 AM EDT
[#10]
It was entertaining.  My biggest complaint was there was too much damn music at the end, and it lasted too long.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:58:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Ehhhh. Take it or leave it.

My favorite one was the one with the SF guy who played in BoB.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:01:07 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
It was entertaining.  My biggest complaint was there was too much damn music at the end, and it lasted too long.

Yeah, pretty much exactly what I was gonna say.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:07:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:37:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Im liked it. It was better than a LOT of shows on at the time.

Now we have "The Unit"

Gonna have to go to Wally World and pick it up
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:42:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:44:13 AM EDT
[#16]
sucked when being broadcast, and sucks as well on DVD.  Show was canceled it sucked so bad
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:46:41 AM EDT
[#17]
I bought it on DVD for 5 dollars. Hope it's worth it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:50:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Geez what a bunch of chattering nabobs.  I watched all of them and thought it was pretty darn good.  It most definately was not a antimilitary war movie like so many are.  It was a pretty darn good attempt in my opinion to show american soldiers in real situations with some drama.  We need to support these kind of shows if we want there to be more.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:57:42 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I thought it was great. The "roadblock/checkpoint" episode was one of the most intense hours of TV I've ever seen.

Yeah that was insane.  I loved that episode.

Quoted:
I downloaded the pilot episode and did a quick "skimming". The few clips I watched prompted me to delete it without viewing it...

I didn't care too much for Pilot.  Same with the first episode of BoB.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:58:15 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I thought it was okay but It was far from BoB in comparison.
Consensus here, it was a joke.

Yeah definitely far from BoB, but I still had similar feelings watching it.  BoB was just fucking downright incredible.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:03:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:05:03 AM EDT
[#22]
It was a good show.  Not stellar by any means, but good.

As a Combat! nut, I always liked Sgt Saunders, and thought the Sgt. in this show reminded me of him.  

The show may still get picked up somewhere else, and I hope it does.  It doesnt deserve to go out with just one season.  For christ sakes ToD had some of the worst acting, writing, and directing, and it stayed for 3 seasons
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:10:33 AM EDT
[#23]
It was a little too liberal for my tastes, but the M4 action rocked!!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:14:02 AM EDT
[#24]
It sucked, I don't know how that show could be entertaining at all.  I would rather watch martha stewart make sugar cookies.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:16:38 AM EDT
[#25]
If you want to watch good shows about what is happening "over there" get the History and Military channel for a no bullshit assessment.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:18:31 AM EDT
[#26]
I was good, not great, but one of the better hours on TV.

Judging it by the pilot episode isn't fair, this show got much better as it went along.

I'm pissed that I will never know why she was called "Double Wide"
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:22:55 AM EDT
[#27]
It suck'd.
It was a good idea, it had great production, and should have been a great show. But, it had lame direction and really shitty writing. The Bochco's were too impressed with their own left wing agenda's, and then turned the show into "NYPD Hillstreet Blue's goes to Iraq".
I wanted to like it, but I was always disappointed.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:24:46 AM EDT
[#28]
I liked it a lot.

HH
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:27:25 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
<snip>
Weekly recurring serials have usually been confined to previous wars.  I somehow found it disconcerting that this was portraying the current conflict for entertainment purposes.

Well, we didn't have TV in homes until after World War II, so there haven't been that many wars to make TV shows about. There were a lot of movies about WWII produced during WWII though.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:30:17 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
 I would rather watch martha stewart make sugar cookies.

I could watch Rachel Ray make sugar cookies all day
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:39:17 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
If you want to watch good shows about what is happening "over there" get the History and Military channel for a no bullshit assessment.

For what?  To watch the same F'n WINGS episode every night?  Or maybe another explanation of the tactics at Normandy?

I wanted that channel because I assumed it would have recent and relevent material.  I've been completely disappointed.  NatGEO and History Channel have much better programs about contemporary military oddly enough.

Ok.... I'm done with my bitch now.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:16:18 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For what?  To watch the same F'n WINGS episode every night?  Or maybe another explanation of the tactics at Normandy?

I wanted that channel because I assumed it would have recent and relevent material.  I've been completely disappointed.  NatGEO and History Channel have much better programs about contemporary military oddly enough.

Yeah everytime I turn it on it's "Wings of War" or whatever.  I'm getting sick of that shit.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:32:06 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

they do have new shows, you must be missing them.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:16:51 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

they do have new shows, you must be missing them.

yeah they do have new stuff but damn its like every other show seems to be "wings at war"
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:44:06 PM EDT
[#35]
I didn't care for the pilot. There were bad and good episodes. Seemed to have gotton better after the first few initial epsiodes. Like the writters were trying to figure out how the show was going to go...

Overall I thought it was an ok show. I tried to catch it every week and d/l the torrents after watching them.

Kind of reminded me of Tour of Duty TV show.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:56:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Good stuff. I hope for season a second season
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:50:11 AM EDT
[#37]
The show didn't amuse me much; the only realistic characte - if you can call it that was their squad leader SSG "Scream". The episodes I liked the most was the one with the SF guy and the one about the checkpoint.

But the show, IMHO fell short of ideas by the 3rd week. Probably the reason why they canned the show. I thought it was more anti-war, anti-Bush BS; so i didn't watch it very long; maybe 3 or 4 episodes, later I lost taste for it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:46:29 AM EDT
[#38]
I am "over there" and after watching 3 episodes I tossed em.  Not even close to reality here.  Had some potential in the beginnoing but it was quickly lost in viewing.
36 days till freedom
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top