Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 6/14/2001 5:39:48 PM EST
I'm not either but was considering getting a C&R (FFL maybe in a couple of years). What do you do with your firearms when you decide to get ou of the business/collecting? If you have a class III and you have both pre & post guns, what do you do with them once you let your license lapse? Same with a C&R. Would you have to get rid of say a 1919 full auto C&R if you get rid of your license?
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 6:27:14 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 6:57:27 PM EST
Being in Kali I cannot comment on Class III except I believe you have to have the license to own them. No license = no class III weapon. Regarding C&R, you bought them, they are yours. The license doesn't allow you to own anything special (like class3) it just allows you to purchase at good prices and no waiting straight to your front door delivery.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 7:07:23 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 7:08:19 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 12:58:47 AM EST
Thanks everyone! I've deceided to go ahead and apply for the C&R. My big concern was what the heck do I do w/all the firearms I bought if I only keep the C&R for a couple of years. [beer]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 3:28:22 AM EST
A question on the actual application. Should it be on colored paper? I can't remember if a C&R application is yellow or green. Anyone...Anyone...
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 4:25:50 AM EST
A firearm does not have to be on the list to be a C&R. All firearms manufactured more than 50 years ago are automatically C&R.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 4:46:29 AM EST
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 6:13:26 AM EST
Another question. I just printed out my complete application that I downloaded from cruffler.com. Can I send in an application that is printed on two pages, or should I have the two printed pages photocopied/printed onto one page?
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 6:20:00 AM EST
When I decided to give up my FFL, I transferred my own personal firearms to myself by writing "for owner's personal collection" in my bound book. (You have to send your bound book to the BATF when you go out of business) Seemed like the logical thing to do, and I haven't heard anything about it from the BATF.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 6:21:44 AM EST
>C&R firearms are all those 50 years or older (as noted above). AND those listed on the ATF's C&R list. Applications are green if you get one from ATF, but you can print your own. Remember to get one to your CLEO. hanko
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:19:55 AM EST
It is perfectly acceptable to submit an application on 2 pages. Also, when you finally give up (or fail to renew) your C&R license, your bound book DOES NOT have to be sent to BATF. BATF only wants business records. They have stated that a C&R licensee's bound book is not a business record.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:30:56 AM EST
Correct. I was talking about a regular Dealer FFL, not a C&R.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 8:09:48 AM EST
You do NOT need a special license to own class III weapons. You must,however jump through lots of hoops. First live in a class III state, you must get your local CLEO to sign the forms stating that, to his/her knowledge you aren't prohibited from owning said weapons,ie not a bad guy. Then you send the forms with 200.00 for the transfer tax and wait 6 months to a year(no kidding!) for an extensive background check. By the way,good luck with the CLEO signiture,they don't like to sign. The firearm MUST be transferable,ie registered B4 '68 for imports or registered B4 May 19, '86 for domestic. CAUTION:NOT ALL M/G 50yrs OR OLDER AR CONCIDERED C&R BY BATF! check thier list.[X]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 8:21:26 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/15/2001 8:19:00 AM EST by EOD_Guy]
Any firearm manufactured more than 50 years ago is a C&R. Being on the list is only one of the other criteria. The following is copied from the BATF web site: Firearms which are of special interest to collectors by reason of some quality other than is associated with firearms intended for sporting use or as offensive or defensive weapons. To be recognized as curios or relics, firearms must fall within one of the following categories: (a) Firearms which were manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas thereof; Notice that is says that firearms only have to fall within ONE category.
Top Top