Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2010 7:36:16 AM EDT
1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport, 160K miles. One year old tires. I know the standard oil change (due anyway) and coolant, fluids, tire pressure, etc. but is there anything else specific you guys check out before embarking on a long trip? I'll be driving from Detroit to Duluth, MN –– about 15hrs each way, taking a total of four days. Knock on wood but this Jeep has been so reliable in the years I've owned it that I haven't had it looked at by me or anyone else hardly at all.

TIA
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:38:55 AM EDT
Don't forget to check the spare tire as well.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:46:15 AM EDT
Check all your lights (including license plate lights) so you don't get pulled over at 2am in East Bumblefuck by a cop with nothing better to do. Also might be a good idea to have a spare fuel filter on-hand so if you get bad gas and plug yours you are not stuck.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:47:50 AM EDT
The map........LOL as well as the oil, tires, as well as all the other fluid levels...
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:48:08 AM EDT
sound good. wife calls me paraniod,but one of the things i always bring on a road trip is an extra set of car keys.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:04:40 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:05:07 AM EDT
Belts...also run by advance let them do a free battery, starter, and alternator test for ya to make sure they are good to go!
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:50:42 AM EDT
Everything!
Tires, all of them, belts, fluids, lights. Make sure your jack and lug wrench are in the vehicle. We are getting snow right now, not telling what you may run into weather wise.
Watch for deer and sleeping truck drivers in the U.P. The U.P. of MI has some pretty desolate stretches of road to be broke down on. I work In the western U.P..
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:21:14 PM EDT
make sure that I have a trash bag in the car (usually a few plastic grocery bags)

make sure I have at least 1 roll of TP in the car (sucks when you gotta go and there's none to be had)

make sure the toolkit has everything in it (I rarely ever use it but I cant take the whole car apart with everything in there if need be)

make sure the air pressure is good in all 5 tires, and inspect them for nails/screws too while I'm at it

make sure the oil is topped off and all the other fluids

make sure the horn still works and all of the lights

make sure I have the GPS charger cord (I've forgotten it before ) and I have paper maps too as backups

make sure I have a printed copy of google maps directions to and from

make sure I have a cooler stocked full of drinks and a box of snacks

make sure my phone charger is in the car

make sure my carPC is working and has all the tunes I want to listen to on it (it's great having a computer with 60gigs of music and videos right in your dashboard )

make sure I have my bags that I packed

....that's about it

....oh yeah and make sure I have Rocky with me too....A small stuffed animal that's my college's mascott who has been in the car for every road trip since Freshman year. Yeah it seems kinda silly and maybe even borderline "turn-in-your-man-card" but whatever, I don't feel like fucking with tradition and he was given to me by my one of my best friends....it sure does help she's hot as hell too
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:54:20 AM EDT
Good ideas all! Checking the spare is one thing I would have forgot for sure and having an extra belt with me sure couldn't hurt. I've done this drive before but one way when I moved to Detroit. It's a wonderful trip and the solitude is my favorite part. I'm hoping to see a Sasquatch too, but we'll see about that. I'll post pics if I can.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:31:30 AM EDT
A printout of the CCW off-limits places for each state I'm traveling through. Along with a copy of the car carry rules.

http://www.handgunlaw.us

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 9:47:54 AM EDT
Once you're sure you have all the little things nailed down:

AAA-Gold Coverage - priceless.

Credit Card - solves everything else.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 9:56:08 AM EDT
tire pressure, oil and tranny fluid.....
Top Top