Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/8/2012 6:28:09 PM EDT
Not a "go out to dinner" guy, due mostly to finances.  last weekend I had to splurge and was appalled at the cutlery.

I used my fucking Benchmade 9555 for a steak knife, as the only thing provided was a butter knife and the fork was one that seemed "disposable".  

Is there a classier way than bringing a set from home wrapped in a 'Pow/Mia' kerchief?  

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:31:13 PM EDT
[#1]
da fuque?

Ahhhh...knife and fork?  Utensils?
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:32:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Ermm, hmm.

How about a Case Hobo?
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:33:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Should have neck punched the waiter until he gave you better cutlery.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:34:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Some Scottish dirks come with a fork and a small steak knife that ride in the same sheath...
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:40:27 PM EDT
[#5]
@ $130:

Davidoff Black Leather Three Finger Robusto Cigar Case

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:43:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:44:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Rost

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:44:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Keep the knife and fork away from your perineum.
Just do it. You'll thank me later.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:46:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Try asking for appropriate utensils - or stop eating at Golden Corral.

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:49:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Wait, did you just say that you used your EDC knife as a steak knife in a restaurant?

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:50:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I usually keyster a titanium spork, easy to discretely slip past most restaurant's metal detectors.  Remember to tie the lanyard TIGHT so you don't lose it up there, I'll never get that four hours of my life back.

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:51:13 PM EDT
[#12]
hands fingers teeth

you have all the utensils you need

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:52:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Case® Hobo with Spoon
The Hobo is a really old design. It actually began as an eating knife and a spike for lifting morsels, sheathed with a larger knife. The next step was to put a fork and a knife in a folder. Then they worked out methods of separating them. No one knows how long ago that was, only that it followed the invention of forks. I have seen really old ones with two tines. I have also seen them with spoons almost as big as ladles.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:53:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I usually keyster a titanium spork, easy to discretely slip past most restaurant's metal detectors.  Remember to tie the lanyard TIGHT so you don't lose it up there, I'll never get that four hours of my life back.

Wouldn't it punch holes in my bag of dope?

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:53:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Mess kit, don't leave home without it.

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:53:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I usually carry one of these when I go out to eat for no reason other than it pisses my future ex-wife off.

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:53:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Wait, did you just say that you used your EDC knife as a steak knife in a restaurant?

Kids.... Back in the day, we did that just because. If you won't ever use it, what's the point of having an EDC?

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:55:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I usually carry one of these when I go out to eat for no reason other than it pisses my future ex-wife off.

http://www.survival-spot.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/TitaniumSpork_000.jpg

I lost my spork at a hotel and haven't bought another one yet....should I splurge and go Ti or be cheap and go plastic?
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:56:41 PM EDT
[#19]
For years my father would pull out his properly sharpened pocket knife when we went out to eat. The crap they give you is a joke.

I'm actually not sure why he stopped doing it to be honest. I'm surprised he doesn't break out the matching set of Randall knife and fork....
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:57:12 PM EDT
[#20]
I have never been to a restaurant that did not supply proper cutlery.

Am I doing it wrong?  
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:58:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

What kind of establishments do you guys have down there?
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:58:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.survival-spot.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/TitaniumSpork_000.jpg

I lost my spork at a hotel and haven't bought another one yet....should I splurge and go Ti or be cheap and go plastic?

Get the titanium one, that way you won't feel out of place at a high end restaurant.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 7:00:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Several years ago I actually wrote an article about this. My best pick was the folding AG Russell Fruit Tester. Easy to carry, large enough to do the job and very handsome looking.

http://www.agrussell.com/ag-russell-fruit-testing-knife/p/RUShhh525BR/

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 7:00:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Try asking for appropriate utensils - or stop eating at Golden Corral.  

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 7:02:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 7:07:14 PM EDT
[#26]
This is mine...

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 7:12:43 PM EDT
[#27]
I've always liked the silverware Outback gives you.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 7:15:33 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Yes.

Yes I did.

My other choice was the butter knife that came wrapped with my fork and spoon.  

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 7:18:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Where did you "splurge" and eat at?
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 7:20:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Am I doing it wrong?  

This, what the fuck is wrong with the OP that he would not ONLY patronize such a place but THEN, pull out his fucking pocket knife to compensate.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 7:22:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Kids.... Back in the day, we did that just because. If you won't ever use it, what's the point of having an EDC?  

I use my EDC knife, well, everyday. I use it to cut shit, pick my finger nails and teeth as well as assorted other manly shit. I use to eat when I'm at the huntin' camp or maybe even my backyard. I have yet to use it to cut up my food at a real restaurant. Guess I'm a pussy.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 7:24:57 PM EDT
[#32]
How about saving up, and when going out for steak, go to a place that at least will give you the appropriate cutlery?  You know, like Outback, or Olive Garden?

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 7:24:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes.

Yes I did.

My other choice was the butter knife that came wrapped with my fork and spoon.  

I'll treat you to http://www.chefhenrys.com

Odds are if you need a knife, then you're doing it wrong.

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 7:33:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
How about saving up, and when going out for steak, go to a place that at least will give you the appropriate cutlery?  You know, like Outback, or Olive Garden?  

Outback has some kick ass steak knives.....trust me I live about 400 yards from one  Also I have never broken out my EDC for use at a restaurant.....Yet
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 7:39:09 PM EDT
[#35]
who needs utensils?

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 7:41:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Personal knife and fork?

You-Tensils
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 7:52:16 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

who needs utensils?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDFmdBW3FJo

Forget that, did anyone see this in the related videos? So hot.

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:03:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 4:58:54 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Am I doing it wrong?  

This, what the fuck is wrong with the OP that he would not ONLY patronize such a place but THEN, pull out his fucking pocket knife to compensate.

Oh, pull the stick out of your ass.  

The Mexican joint had steak and I wasn't in the mood for Fajitas.   It wasn't some fancy schmancy place like Olive Garden.  

I have seen a cased knife and fork set, I thought here,  and as I am particular about my cutlery thought of bringing my own when going out to eat.  

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 5:12:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Am I doing it wrong?  

The Mexican joint had steak and I wasn't in the mood for Fajitas.   It wasn't some fancy schmancy place like Olive Garden.  

I have seen a cased knife and fork set, I thought here,  and as I am particular about my cutlery thought of bringing my own when going out to eat.  

Where did you go?

Jalapenos (Sandfly) always gives me a real knife.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 5:15:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 5:16:24 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I have done it before when the knife provided sucked. Same when going to a friends house for dinner.

One day I will break down and buy something a little classier ..

ETA:

Didn't realize using your pocket knife to cut food at a eatery was such a big deal. My grandfather and father both did it regularly. I never thought twice about doing it either.

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 5:22:35 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Am I doing it wrong?  

Where did you go?

Jalapenos (Sandfly) always gives me a real knife.

La Nopalera in Richmond Hill.  

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 5:25:30 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have done it before when the knife provided sucked. Same when going to a friends house for dinner.  

One day I will break down and buy something a little classier ..

ETA:

Didn't realize using your pocket knife to cut food at a eatery was such a big deal. My grandfather and father both did it regularly. I never thought twice about doing it either.

That is sort of what I was remembering.  

My wife spoiled me when she spent ridiculous money on flatware a few years back.  Our cutlery could double as a bludgeon and I am disappointed when using inferior utensils.  

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 5:26:02 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm not sure it's possible to "splurge" at a place that provides plastic forks.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 5:26:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Not often, but I have.  Why, is it offensive?

Quoted:

ETA: i read your other post.

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 5:27:06 AM EDT
[#47]
Tactical Chopsticks:

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 5:31:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Am I doing it wrong?  

I LOL'ed.

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 5:34:51 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I'm not sure it's possible to "splurge" at a place that provides plastic forks.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top