Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2005 8:59:07 PM EDT
My wife and I are going to meet our local Dodge dealer friday to look at a 2000- 2002 Club Cab Dakota. We are looking for a 4x4 V8. I was just wondering if anyone had owned one or had had to have much work done on them and stuff. Thanks for any info.

jim
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 9:42:28 PM EDT

This is a 2002 I purchased in October 2001 and sold in May of 2004...There were no mechanical problems during that period of time and I put 37,000+ miles on it. It has a 4.7L V8 that had more than enough power for moving the lil pickup and a 5-speed transmission that helps you get up to speed.

The seats are uncomforatable, there are a few blind spots. It rides pretty good for a pick-up...there were a couple recall notices, one for wiring to be rerouted over the brake pedal lever and a ball joint issue.

Would I buy one again........maybe because the deal was excellent and it was a trouble free ride. But I would make sure to sell it before the 2 year mark or 36,000 miles, which ever comes first.

My opinion...feel free to IM me for other info.

MT

Link Posted: 1/5/2005 9:57:39 PM EDT
I'd opt for the Nissan, Chevy, or preferably the Toyota. JMO.

Dakotas are in between the Mid and Full, like a small full. I like them though.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 10:02:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 2:23:59 PM EDT
thanks for the input. We'll give it a ride and if the offer is too good... then well...

jim
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 2:25:26 PM EDT
my friends 2000 had the paint on the roof come off and the electric motors in the windows go kaput a coupel times.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 3:33:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/6/2005 3:40:08 PM EDT by Lakeguy]
I got an '04 Dakota Quad. I absolutely love it. I test drove both the Nissan Frontier Quad and the Tacoma Quad. The Nissan was OK, nothing too terribly exciting about it. . I wanted to like the Tacoma more then the Dakota but just couldnt bring myself to buy it over the Dodge. The thing that bothered me about the two imports were the lack of real room in the back. The Dakota is like being in a Caddy compared to either the Toyota or Nissan. It just feels like it has so much more room. A "real size" person can actually ride quite comfortably in the back of the Dakota for a long trip.It rides nicer, has more power(even in the 6cyl.) Better Warranty etc. What more could you ask for..

ETA forgot about the Chevy Colorado: Didnt test drive one but sat in one and scoped it out. Way too much money for what you get. Interior is small and cheapish. I didnt quite get the deal with the 5 cylinder either All of my previous company trucks at my old job were Chevys. I would never ever spend my own money on one. All had nothing but problems
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:21:19 PM EDT
I had a 99 club cab 4x4 with the 318. Was actually my third dakota. I loved all three of them. Sold my 99 when I came overseas, wish I had decided to store after I saw what they've done with the new dakota, I guess I'll be driving a Ram when I get back.

BTW...I was driving across country in my truck in a thunderstorm when I was/or was nearly struck by lightening. 50mph on the interstate, gets really bright, and truck turned off, all the idiot lights come on...throw it in nuetral, and pull off the side of the road, restart truck, everything works but the spedometer. When I get to my destination, turn in insurance claim and have $2500 worth of computer and sensor's replaced due to "high voltage spike." That was the only problem I had in 75k worth of miles, including a lift and lots of go fast goodies!
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:25:46 PM EDT
I have a 2001.
4.7 V8.

I like it.
The brakes feel funny, though.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:40:22 PM EDT
I test drove a 2003 with the 4.7L. It was a quad cab 4x4 and I was impressed, It hauled ass and was roomy and well laid out. I did n't buy cause my dealer was a prick.

S.O.

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:54:49 AM EDT
I have a 97 with 160K on her.
Complaints: Two sets of upper and lower ball joints, Front brakes are crap (30K between brake jobs), Front bumper started rusting after only 30K (had it fixed with a "lifetime warrenty" and it still rusts), Driver's side mirror cracked first winter (They fixed that one free), Bad gas mileage (14 highway if I'm lucky), Tape player broke a while ago, Center console very flimsy (Mine is broken), cruise control buttons on steering wheel are "funky" (they are soft and sloppy to operate).
Praises: Love my 318 cid. engine, lots of room inside (I'm 6'4" and fit pretty good in it), Love the cab but wish it had a door opening like a suicide door to get stuff in and out of, ride is good and has good high visibility.
It will go thru the snow drifts, haul my snowmobile trailer with ease.
It has been a very dependable truck for the last 7+ years.
Most important thought: It has been paid off for the last 5 years.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:03:47 PM EDT
Probably irrelevant, but I have a 1996 Extended cab model. I found that that has a hell of a lot more room than the CHevy or Ford small trucks, but also remember the Dakota is considered a Midsize. My truck has the ol' 3.9 Magnum in it, with an Auto with Overdrive. She has plenty of power to get me around. Not sure if the older Daks had the ball joint problems, but mine are OK as of yet. I've heard the V8 models are real powerful and can smoke tires anytime. The seats are comfortable for short times, but usually when I drive 3 1/2 hours to visit my grandma on weekends, my back hurts after the trip.

All in all, the Dakotas extended/club cabs are nice little(well now they are getting quite big hehe) trucks. I'd get another to replace this one but I'd like a full size truck next.

Kevin
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:13:46 PM EDT
I love mine!

I have a V-6 2wd. I couldn't swing the V-8, and with what gas prices were.....

Meets all needs, tons of space inside. I'm 6' 2" 260lbs, and I fit in any seat comfortably. It's a great truck.

My only gripe, the bed (5' 3") could be a little longer without changing the asthetics.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:26:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dayv27:
I love mine!

I have a V-6 2wd. I couldn't swing the V-8, and with what gas prices were.....

Meets all needs, tons of space inside. I'm 6' 2" 260lbs, and I fit in any seat comfortably. It's a great truck.

My only gripe, the bed (5' 3") could be a little longer without changing the asthetics.

+1

I have a V-8, 4wd and love the hell out of it!!!!!

heres a pic of my baby

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:36:57 PM EDT
I own a 2001 4x4 with the 4.7 V8 - 33,000 miles and no issues. I'd buy another...
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:37:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2005 11:43:18 PM EDT by Boomholzer]
I have a 2002 quad cab 4x4 with a full-time transfer case. It just turned 50k miles.

The 4.7L V8 doesn't compare to the 318. It's pretty slow accelleration wise.
I towed a 25' 4500lb RV across the nation with it but that was really overloading it's towing capabilities.

The 4x4 part is awesome, posi rear and it locks up good in the front in 4HI. It does very well off road, even with AT tires.

Gas milage sucks but has improved since when I first bought it. When new I avereaged 12MPG, nowadays it pulls about 15MPG.

My biggest gripe is the amount of wind noise in the cab.

I thought of trading it in, I'll keep it a bit longer as Dodge resale value sucks and I would'nt get much on a trade in. I really hate the new Dakota styling. I'm OK with my truck but, I would not buy another. Get a true full size.

I have a 3" body lift coming and the factory tires will gwt replaced with BFG 33" AT's. Only mod I done now is dual exhaust, light bar, tinted windows, tool box, and diamond-plate box rail protectors.

Only problem so far was a bad starter soleniod.

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:40:35 PM EDT
I have a 2000 extended cab and my only complaint with it is the fuel milage. I have the V6 and the best I've gotten is 17mpg on the highway. The Chevy 1500 can get that same milage. I drive my truck hard but even when taking it easy the fuel milage just isn't there. With 75,000 miles on it, I've just had the first problem come up the electric door lock not working right. The extended cab has way too small of a back seat, I club cab is the way to go.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:50:35 AM EDT
a friend of mine has a 2002 4X4 with a 360 under the hood .fuel mileage is crap but it is crazy fast. and a nice truck to boot.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:52:31 AM EDT
Club Cabs are the extended cabs. Crew Cabs /Quad Cabs are the ones with the 4 doors.

I have a 2001 Club Cab4X4 and love it. Not so great for long trips (seats), but perfect size for haul stuff around town and getting to my favorite rock pit for shooting.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:55:46 AM EDT
My roommate has one. Runs good with the V8 but I prefer the Toyota like many others.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:28:08 AM EDT
The V6 doesn't save you $$$ on fuel. I went with the 4.7L V8 because it was the only V8 I could get with a 5-Spd.

I experienced decent fuel mileage for the heavy lil pick-up...15MPG when driving like an ass and 22MPG when driving at subsonic speeds.

I was very impressed with the engine.

MT(old school MOPARman)Pockets
Top Top