Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2009 6:18:00 PM EDT
I need advice from those who live in hot climates.

It doesn't get too hot where I live, but summers in my old house can get uncomfortable, especially in the evening.

I've been thinking of buying one of those window mounted A/C units.  How well do they work?  Anything in particular to look out for when buying one?  Brand, size, etc?

House is small––800 square feet or so.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:26:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Most are made in China and pretty much all of them are junk.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:30:50 PM EDT
[#2]
They are fine, make sure you pay attention to the sizing and whether it is 110v or 220v

Just got to Home Depot or Lowes and grab one for $200 or so.  Remove it in the Winter and store it. I have an apt building that uses nothing but window units, they are great and last about 5 yrs before  the bearings go out and I trash them.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:41:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Stay away from Freidrich.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:43:24 PM EDT
[#4]
A friend in Duvall, WA bought a tiny 110V $79 special from Home Depot last summer, and it keeps his 900 sq ft apartment cool enough to be comfortable.  You don't need a very big unit to make a big difference in WA.  He does wish he had bought a more expensive unit so he could have a remote or a real thermostat.z

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:04:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Are the advertised square footage spec's accurate?  Meaning, if the unit is rated for 900sf, is that reality or is bigger better?  
I only have a 110v circuit available, so that will limit me to smaller units.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:06:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Try to put it in a north facing window.  Keeping the sun off of it will help it cool more efficiently
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:38:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Are the advertised square footage spec's accurate?  Meaning, if the unit is rated for 900sf, is that reality or is bigger better?  
I only have a 110v circuit available, so that will limit me to smaller units.

I think the ratings are average for the country.  If you live in western WA, you can probably double that rating.z

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top