Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/21/2004 6:19:17 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/21/2004 6:19:55 AM EST by SWIRE]
I'm not sure what's in the works but it sounds like something cool is going to be coming from Barret very soon.

biz.yahoo.com/bw/040920/205659_1.html

American Ammunition, Inc. announced today that it received an order from Barrett Firearms Mfg. Inc. ("Barrett") to design and manufacture 6,125,000 rounds of 6.8 ammunition (special purpose cartridge).

Andres Fernandez, President and CEO of American Ammunition, Inc. stated, "We are very delighted to be working with Barrett on this project. We believe there is a real need for this type of weapon system and Barrett has taken a very aggressive position in filling this market void."
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:23:40 AM EST
wtf
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:26:08 AM EST
My experience with their ammo is not good.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:27:19 AM EST
I hope the 6.8 ammo is better than their pistol ammo.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:28:14 AM EST

Originally Posted By captainpooby:

that seems to be the opinion of 99% of people who have used AA. what is Barrett thinking?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:28:36 AM EST
Help out the un-edumacated here: What 'void' is the 6.8 supposed to fill? What makes it the new
'wonder-weapon'du-jour?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:31:07 AM EST

Crappy, huh? Good thing I heard that. I'd been thinking of getting some. I guess I'll go elsewhere.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:36:26 AM EST
I've got a "few" Glocks and no matter what you think fo the they eat most brands of ammo, ecept that shit AA puts out and on top of it all thier brass isn't worth reloading!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:36:54 AM EST
Probably been better off haveing Wolf make ammo for it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:46:16 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/21/2004 1:29:03 PM EST by Happyshooter]

Dear Sir:

I have lusted after your products for a long time, and I am saving part of my fun money to buy one.

I am also saving money for a 6.8 upper.

I just read that you ordered 6 million some odd 6.8 rounds from American Ammunition for some product. To be quite blunt, "Why?!?"

I think that wolf has better QC, and makes a better product. I think just about anyone else domestic makes a product that is 100% better. In fact, unless you have a massively good reason to share with us in the shooting community, I would never buy an American Ammunition product.

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:51:19 AM EST
Well damn it someone needs to do something, I want a 6.8 upper but I'm not dropping the money on mags and an upper till there is ammo readily available for the damn thing. Heres to hopein'
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:55:06 AM EST

Originally Posted By Tanker06:
Help out the un-edumacated here: What 'void' is the 6.8 supposed to fill? What makes it the new
'wonder-weapon'du-jour?

Well I for one, being one that likes to hunt with an AR would feel better going after deer sized game with a 6.8 than with the .223, now mind you I do tke the AR deer hunting, but you got to be dead sure of the shot your taking as there is little room for error. The 6.8 will help with that a little bit. Yes the .223 will do it fine, I'm not knocking it at all, I'd just prefer something a little bigger(yah I use .30cal rifles too but if I'm in a tight spot I'd rather have a handy carbine such as an AK or AR. So ther eis one "void" that I think it will fill. JMO
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:04:04 AM EST
It's all about $$$. AA was probably the cheapest AND most available, i.e. not producing raghead piercing ammo for the US Government under contract. Also where are they located? It could be a logistics issue. Just speculation but I don't think I'm too far off.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:11:41 AM EST
While I have no information on this, it may be entirely possible that the ammo is going to be made to Barrett specs, and not to the normal AA specs. It is very likely that AA's machines are quite capable of being set to make higher quality ammo at a higher price. It may simply be that AA makes lower spec ammo at lower prices because they think that they can access that end of the market. It doesn't mean that they cannot make a good round.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:18:30 AM EST
Well, if i were Ron Berret, I would definitely take the few rounds off their assembly line and fire it thru one of their 6.8 uppers just to check their functionality before they make a whole bunch of them. It's one thing to make a few thousand rounds and throw away, and then make hundreds of thousands and throw them away.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:26:47 AM EST
It's a plot to destroy all the competotors 6.8mm rifles.

Hel, they have to have someone make the round, they have a huge capital investment in making their uppers.....
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:31:35 AM EST
American Ammuntion = A-merc.

A-merc =

Trust me I know about brass
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:23:09 PM EST
I actually like American Ammo. Sure it's made cheap but it's also very cheap to buy. Occassionally there is a round or two that doesn't go off because the primer is seated in too far but for plinking and practic ammo it's great. I don't bother to reload so I'm not worried about the brass either. In all my Glocks I've had much better luck with it than I have had with Wolf ammo.

American Ammo has also partnered with IMI and has gotten several military contracts...so they must be able to do something right.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:27:37 PM EST
I wonder if Barrett plans to market it under the Barrett name, like Alexander Arms markets their 6.5 Grendel?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:31:04 PM EST

Originally Posted By SWIRE:
I actually like American Ammo. Sure it's made cheap but it's also very cheap to buy. Occassionally there is a round or two that doesn't go off because the primer is seated in too far but for plinking and practic ammo it's great. I don't bother to reload so I'm not worried about the brass either. In all my Glocks I've had much better luck with it than I have had with Wolf ammo.

American Ammo has also partnered with IMI and has gotten several military contracts...so they must be able to do something right.

Bingo... If they can pull this off, have the 6.8 ammo at the M193 price and quality, then I am in.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 2:04:06 PM EST

Originally Posted By mattja:
I wonder if Barrett plans to market it under the Barrett name, like Alexander Arms markets their 6.5 Grendel?

It's very possible as American Ammo formerly had a contract with Century Arms International where they would market the ammo under their own brand name.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 3:46:15 PM EST

+1

Another nail in the coffin for the 6.8SPC. What a stupid move! Are they going to have USA make the mags and Tasco make the optics too?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 3:50:36 PM EST
Well, unless someone is going to light a fire under remingtons ass. Which, IIRC, this is intended to do. Barrett had to find someone.
If mags and ammo were readily available, I really want a complete barrett rifle. The formerly LE only one.
Top Top