Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/12/2011 11:10:02 AM EDT
So I am finally to the point in my life where I can afford to go to college.

What should I major in? I was thinking IT management, computer sciences, or petroleum engineering.

Does ARFCOM have an opinion on these fields?

Does ARFCOM have any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 11:11:07 AM EDT
[#1]
University Studies...trust me, this one's good.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 11:11:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Engineering, accounting, or medicine IMHO.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 11:11:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Not finance, leave those jobs for me when I get out
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 11:12:22 AM EDT
[#4]
A Major in Women's Studies with a Minor in African-American History.

You'll be either flipping burgers or running for office, in no time!

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 11:12:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Pretty much what I figured.

Math or medical... Yay!

Ah well, I can do it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 11:13:02 AM EDT
[#6]
IT security
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 11:14:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A Major in Women's Studies with a Minor in African-American History.

You'll be either flipping burgers or running for office, in no time!

This.  Four-year degrees aren't worth a fuck anymore.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 11:14:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
IT security

One of the top runners. IT security seems to be one of the best options in the IT field.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 11:15:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Math or medical... Yay!

Ah well, I can do it.

I did Biomedical...Great job in clinical sales now!

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 11:17:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Something that cannot be easily outsourced or else you better be so damn good people come looking for you (IT, accounting, technical writing, testing, and even security are all outsource prone).  Corporate America is run by those with a short-term vision focused clearly on the next annual report.  Pick a field that requires your presence on location to do it, or go into it planning on competing with everyone else in the world for that job.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 11:18:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Medicine if you have the dough. Best 6 freaking years of my life (it's 6 years in Turkey), worked hard, partied way harder and made some great friends. I don't regret shit.

If not, I have nothing

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 11:18:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Math or medical... Yay!

Ah well, I can do it.

If you don't like the math, it may not be the route for you.
What would you like to do after you get your degree?
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 11:22:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Math or medical... Yay!

Ah well, I can do it.

I have strong mathematical skills, I just don't like it.

What would I like to do? Make money... lol

In all seriousness, I love dealing with computers and networking. I'm just a bit worried about losing employment due to outsourcing. The majority of our IT group is actually in India... Bleh.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 11:23:24 AM EDT
[#14]
I've been hearing about nuclear engineering a lot lately
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 11:27:25 AM EDT
[#15]
I have been thinking about industrial engineering but I think that would mean becoming a consultant in the end.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 11:28:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've been hearing about nuclear engineering a lot lately

Would love to get into it. It just isn't offered at the schools I can attend.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 11:29:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Double tap.

Maybe get into robotics....

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 11:32:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Art History  

No, not really, but you could stick it in alot of crazy  
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 11:35:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Politics 101 or "How to become President of America when you have neither common sense or patriotism"
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 11:36:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Petroleum Engineering. I don't see a lessening demand for engineers in the energy field anytime soon. It's just too diverse a field with too few qualified folks.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 11:36:17 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Politics 101 or "How to become President of America when you have neither common sense or patriotism"

silly fuck, thats only for Harvard students

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 11:38:35 AM EDT
[#22]
i'm finishing my philosophy degree in may, and headed back immediately for a degree in either hydrogeology or water resource management.  jobs in the geography sector are growing at something like 15% per year, even in the recession, and job growth in the water sector is only going to accelerate.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 11:43:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Engineering. Pick your favorite flavor.

It will not be fun, but the income potential is there.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 11:49:13 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Math or medical... Yay!

Ah well, I can do it.

I have strong mathematical skills, I just don't like it.

What would I like to do? Make money... lol

In all seriousness, I love dealing with computers and networking. I'm just a bit worried about losing employment due to outsourcing. The majority of our IT group is actually in India... Bleh.

Astute observation.  Programming can sometimes be outsourced to low-wage countries.  Some admin tasks are in the process of being offloaded into cloud environments or handed off completely to hosting companies.  The trick there is to move into areas that are difficult to outsource.  Security is a good one; so is technical project management.  And if there are computers and a network for employees to use, someone has to maintain that.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 11:55:30 AM EDT
[#25]
My advise, get something satisfying.  Best way to do that, is see how satisfied others are with their choices.  Then customize to your tastes.  

http://www.fabulouslybroke.com/2010/11/the-most-unsatisfying-degrees-ranked-by-college-degree/

In your case, you don't like math.  So skip the engineering and accounting.  Looks like MIS should be the top of your list to investigate, then continue down the list until you find something that doesn't automatically strike you as unappealing, investigated, continue.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 11:59:25 AM EDT
[#26]
major in spanish...you'll need it soon enough
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:03:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Health and Safety / Industrial Hygiene
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:03:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Accounts and Engineers don't have the job security and pay scale they used to. We've been importing those people from India, who have the brains but work for half the pay. Ask Publix and Geico about it.

I'd go Medical.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:03:55 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

My advise, get something satisfying.  Best way to do that, is see how satisfied others are with their choices.  Then customize to your tastes.  

http://www.fabulouslybroke.com/2010/11/the-most-unsatisfying-degrees-ranked-by-college-degree/

http://www.fabulouslybroke.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/job-satisfaction-majors.gif

In your case, you don't like math.  So skip the engineering and accounting.  Looks like MIS should be the top of your list to investigate, then continue down the list until you find something that doesn't automatically strike you as unappealing, investigated, continue.

but Arfcom tells me that if you dont major in engineering, you will make minimum wage for the rest of your life.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:08:20 PM EDT
[#30]
You can't lose with engineering but I'm not sure petroleum would be a good career choice.  I wish I would have done mechanical engineering... if nothing else you can build cool stuff.  I got an MBA and i just sit at a desk.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:22:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Medical, become a Murse
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:23:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

http://www.fabulouslybroke.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/job-satisfaction-majors.gif

I looked into MIS. The only issue with that was the fact that the school I will most likely attend doesn't have that as an option.

MIS was the frontrunner until I realized this...

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:25:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Medical, become a Murse

I'm not the nursing type. I did consider it, briefly.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 1:00:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Medical, become a Murse

This you can work anywhere
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 1:03:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Medical, become a Murse

If only I was the nurturing type... I wouldn't do well with changing bed pans and getting pissed on.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 1:05:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Medical, become a Murse

If only I was the nurturing type... I wouldn't do well with changing bed pans and getting pissed on.

There are other types of nurses...

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 1:12:55 PM EDT
[#37]
The engineering fields are good choices. Might check out alternative fuel engineering. It seems like it is a growing field.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:21:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Accounting, Engineering or Nursing.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:36:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
You can't lose with engineering but I'm not sure petroleum would be a good career choice.  I wish I would have done mechanical engineering... if nothing else you can build cool stuff.  I got an MBA and i just sit at a desk.

If you makes you feel any better, look at it this way. An ME designs a model airplane (Mechanical Design), a skilled laborer assembles it (Manufacturing/Assembly), and then an EE gets to fly it (Controls/Software Design).

As an EE, I spend my days on the shop floor playing with the machines the MEs design. I get to drive, they have to ask me to make their machine do what they want.

So, you should really wish you were an EE if you don't like sitting at a desk all day.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:41:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The engineering fields are good choices. Might check out alternative fuel engineering. It seems like it is a growing field.

What the fuck is alternative fuel engineering?  Sounds like electrical blended with chemical and a dash of mechanical.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:45:48 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Medical, become a Murse

Sure, if you have 5-30 years experience.  If you're just out of school, sucks to be you.  In a lot of markets, it's very, very hard for new grads to get jobs.  It isn't the 2004 heydays anymore.  

And they do import Filipino nurses if a place is critically short.  In a technical sense, health care can't be outsourced, but you can still be displaced.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:46:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Looks like the school I am going to attend does have an option for MIS.

I like the fact that it's business and tech oriented.

Does anyone have any experience with MIS career options or any insight into job outlook for such a field?
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:46:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Pharmacy school.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:48:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Aerospace is booming...especially unmanned stuff.

Go with Aerospace Engineer to start with...Electrical as a backup.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:49:26 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Pharmacy school.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:49:32 PM EDT
[#46]
IT, Healthcare, Criminal Justice. All three are and will reamain in high demand
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:52:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

What can one do with a criminal justice degree?
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:55:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stand in line with a whole bunch of other CJ degree holders hoping for a job in a local PD.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:56:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stand in line with a whole bunch of other CJ degree holders hoping for a job in a local PD.

That's what I thought.

I don't want to be a cop. I like dogs too much.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 3:13:57 PM EDT
[#50]
No matter what you get your not going to be able to get a job right out of the gates anymore.

I have two friends that graduated in 10' from KU, one is a petroleum engineer (top 5% of his class) and the other is electrical, they both work at home depot.

A lot of companies don't have R&D money right now and the engineer pool is getting pretty deep.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top