Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/15/2005 8:55:29 AM EDT
I've heard about the infamous blow out, but never details of what caused it.  Anyone know?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:56:51 AM EDT
[#1]
A shop like that has only so much space for cranial expansion.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:57:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Take a guess.....Coddington is a prick! It's amazing how he treats employees and people still buy his cars. These guys have all lost a ton of respect simply because you see how cookie cutter the products are they make. It seems like its custom when you order it....but most of the time its simply a remake of somebody else's order.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:58:19 AM EDT
[#3]
discovery told them to.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:59:57 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
discovery told them to.

I believe this happened well before discovery was on the scene.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:02:29 AM EDT
[#5]
From what I've gathered from a brief search. (google, kids)

Foose worked for Coddington at Hot Rods by Boyd, when that business went bankrupt, Foose left and took some of the best people with him to start his own shop.

So, wah-wah-wah, Butthurt Boyd thinks somebody screwed him over. I hate that show, and that other one where the two hack bike builders yell at each other.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:05:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Who?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:05:21 AM EDT
[#7]
There can only be one queen bee in the hive...
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:06:45 AM EDT
[#8]
hahahah foose has taken atleast  2 of his best guys sense ive started to watch it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:07:21 AM EDT
[#9]

What caused Boyd Coddington and Chip Foose to split up?

They couldn't agree to a floral arrangement for the wedding?  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:20:13 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

What caused Boyd Coddington and Chip Foose to split up?

They couldn't agree to a floral arrangement for the wedding?  

LOL...
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:22:58 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Foose worked for Coddington at Hot Rods by Boyd, when that business went bankrupt, Foose left and took some of the best people with him to start his own shop.

So, wah-wah-wah, Butthurt Boyd thinks somebody screwed him over. I hate that show, and that other one where the two hack bike builders yell at each other.

Boyd is an A-hole, and the bike builders are even worse!

Total joke- those clowns are. (OCC)

I did watch a show (about Boyd) where he fired a long time employee who was doing work for a competitor while on the clock for him (Boyd).

He then trashes the guy to the employees who were left. Called him a thief, etc.

Always been my experience that this is not a good practice to dance on employee graves.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:25:36 AM EDT
[#12]
There's a reason they call the Coddington cars Boydsters. they all look the same.
One of the shows the customer wanted the old drag car kept identical to the original build but Boyd wanted his mods.
His own crew said it was Boyd doing another Boydster and blowing off the customer.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:25:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Boyd is good at running a thriving business into the ground......because he is an ASS.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:28:06 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Boyd is an A-hole, and the bike builders are even worse!

Total joke- those clowns are. (OCC)

I did watch a show (about Boyd) where he fired a long time employee who was doing work for a competitor while on the clock for him (Boyd).

He then trashes the guy to the employees who were left. Called him a thief, etc.

Always been my experience that this is not a good practice to dance on employee graves.

I saw that and agree with everything you said except I think it was pretty clear he WASN'T working for the other guy (it was FOOSE) on Boyd's time, he was doing it on weekends, that was his justification, Boyd replied that he couldn't have a "loyal" employee also working for the competition.

What gets me about that particular show is how Boyd does NOTHING to the cars, at least not that they show, I mean, he doesn't draw them, hamer on them, wrench on them, paint them, nothing.

He's got a pretty good rep, so he must do something, but that show seems like it would hurt his business rather than help it.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:31:49 AM EDT
[#15]
I am sorry, like OCC, watching grown men act like babies and complete idiots is not for me....I was being 100% sarcastic in previous post.

I really could care less. It is not a documentary, but meerly a soap oprea for men covered up with grease and car engines.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:36:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Boyd is an ass.  I did some work for him many years ago.  He had a hard time paying his bills, and honoring contracts.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:37:44 AM EDT
[#17]
I have no idea who either guy is.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:40:33 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I've heard about the infamous blow out, but never details of what caused it.  Anyone know?

Those shows have de-volved into night time soap oprahs with cars or bikes.  Just build the car and leave the drama out of it.  I hate it that they are always whimpering about the schedule.  Get over it and build the dam car.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:45:05 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I have no idea who either guy is.

Excuse my ignorance, but +1.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:27:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Boid.

Just say it.

Boid.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:30:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:18:38 PM EDT
[#22]
I think the biggest conflict is not between the employees, it's between trying to be innovative and trying to do it in a production environment.  When you take people who like to create and put them in a deadline production environment that doesn't allow them to fully reach their potential, they're going to get bored or leave.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:23:17 PM EDT
[#23]
The only thing good about OCC is that fruity assed fat bastard Mikey.

That guy is freaking hillarious, the other two are idiots but Mikey is a riot.    
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:27:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Boyd was good 15 years ago. Now he's just a name. He has no business skills either.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:33:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Boyd and the bald shop manager need a good beating to be put into place.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:37:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Courtney Hansen is really, really hot.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:45:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Boyd had an "asshole rep" back in the 80's. Guess not much has changed...
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:46:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Anyone catch the Trucks episode on Spike where Stacey David made fun of Boyd and OCC?  He was showign a clip of a custom car shop, and said somethign kind of like this.."this isnt one of those places like on other channels where everyone yells at each other, and then the boss is a total idiot." "You would actually want to send your vehicle here to get customized." I laughed for sometime after seeign that.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:54:59 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Oh you mean American Chopper?

I never liked American Hotrod to begin with.  You never saw Boyd much to begin with, and he was an asshole.  Duane, the guy you saw a lot, was a big asshole as well.  

American Chopper has good looking bikes, but the show is just Paul Sr. and Jr. yelling at each other about how to build a damn bike.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:57:08 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
The only thing good about OCC is that fruity assed fat bastard Mikey.

That guy is freaking hillarious, the other two are idiots but Mikey is a riot.    

He's crazy. doesn't do sh%t on the show but cracks you up.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:58:36 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Anyone catch the Trucks episode on Spike where Stacey David made fun of Boyd and OCC?  He was showign a clip of a custom car shop, and said somethign kind of like this.."this isnt one of those places like on other channels where everyone yells at each other, and then the boss is a total idiot." "You would actually want to send your vehicle here to get customized." I laughed for sometime after seeign that.

Trucks is a good show-but he actually said that on-air?!  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:01:12 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah it was on 2 saturdays ago. He didn't name anyone/thing, but I mean it was so obvious he was makign fun of the OCC or boyd or even both.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:05:01 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

American Chopper has good looking bikes,

have you seen their models they sell? I'm not talking about their 'theme" bikes..........those so called "custom choppers" they sell, they are nothing but cookie cutters with off the shelf parts,  with different paint scemes.........reminds me of track housing they built during the 50s
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:11:00 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah it was on 2 saturdays ago. He didn't name anyone/thing, but I mean it was so obvious he was makign fun of the OCC or boyd or even both.

Hah! It wouldn't surprise me...Stacey seems like a good guy. I've been watching his show regularly for the last 5 or so months...he tries not to outright bash things but he does make his feelings pretty clear on certain things.

And...any guy named Stacey who wants to build out an old Willys to be an off-road stomping mean motherfucker, name it Sgt. Rock, and hang a pair of real Ma Deuces in the bed...hell, I can't say anything wrong about that.

(Or was the Willys another project...I haven't had tv in the last month, and haven't been able to keep up...)

One of the last episodes I saw was his biodiesel episode...he did a pretty good job actually explaining it in a half-hour show. It was kinda neat. Learned more from that than from the various hippies going on about it, without specifics. Too bad it'd be the suck here...it'd gel in winter

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:12:36 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hah! It wouldn't surprise me...Stacey seems like a good guy. I've been watching his show regularly for the last 5 or so months...he tries not to outright bash things but he does make his feelings pretty clear on certain things.

And...any guy named Stacey who wants to build out an old Willys to be an off-road stomping mean motherfucker, name it Sgt. Rock, and hang a pair of real Ma Deuces in the bed...hell, I can't say anything wrong about that.

(Or was the Willys another project...I haven't had tv in the last month, and haven't been able to keep up...)

One of the last episodes I saw was his biodiesel episode...he did a pretty good job actually explaining it in a half-hour show. It was kinda neat. Learned more from that than from the various hippies going on about it, without specifics. Too bad it'd be the suck here...it'd gel in winter

I'm not a big ford fan, but he did a Bronco IIRC last year and it came out good.

I haven't watched it in a while...have to tune in soon.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:31:01 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Just at a glimpse from watching their respective shows - Boyd's a FUCKING ASSHOLE
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:43:45 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Yeah, that was during the 2nd most recent Sgt. Rock build show.   Trucks! is a great show.  

Re OCC, I'm not a big fan of anyone there except Rick and Mikey.  You can tell that Paul Sr and Jr both have egos the size of Nebraska.  Those idiots wear sunglasses indoors constantly -- even to meet the governor of New York.  Yeah, those are real down to earth guys that you can have a beer with.  Get over yourselves.

Rick is a different story.  On the show where Mikey had to interview everyone for the OCC website, he asked Rick "how would you describe yourself?" and Rick responded "laborer".  Now there's a guy you can relate to.  I used to think Vinnie was cool but he's gotten uppity in recent shows.

Mikey is useless on the show, but he's funny.  Gotta have a guy around for comic relief.

I don't watch American Hot Rod very often but I can tell that if that's the "real" Boyd, I can see why he has so much turnover in staff.  He's generally unappreciative and overbearing.  Even when he tries to be appreciative of the long hours his staff works, it comes off fake.  Then his wife says "oh, if they only could see the real Boyd".  Yeah, that makes sense.  If the "real" Boyd isn't going to show appreciation to his employees, why would they care what the "real" Boyd does in private?  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:50:00 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, that was during the 2nd most recent Sgt. Rock build show.   Trucks! is a great show.  

Re OCC, I'm not a big fan of anyone there except Rick and Mikey.  You can tell that Paul Sr and Jr both have egos the size of Nebraska.  Those idiots wear sunglasses indoors constantly -- even to meet the governor of New York.  Yeah, those are real down to earth guys that you can have a beer with.  Get over yourselves.

Rick is a different story.  On the show where Mikey had to interview everyone for the OCC website, he asked Rick "how would you describe yourself?" and Rick responded "laborer".  Now there's a guy you can relate to.  I used to think Vinnie was cool but he's gotten uppity in recent shows.

Mikey is useless on the show, but he's funny.  Gotta have a guy around for comic relief.

I don't watch American Hot Rod very often but I can tell that if that's the "real" Boyd, I can see why he has so much turnover in staff.  He's generally unappreciative and overbearing.  Even when he tries to be appreciative of the long hours his staff works, it comes off fake.  Then his wife says "oh, if they only could see the real Boyd".  Yeah, that makes sense.  If the "real" Boyd isn't going to show appreciation to his employees, why would they care what the "real" Boyd does in private?  

Vinny is okay but he's kind of in cahoots with Mr. Artiste himself Pauly.  

A real example of how Pauly is a jerk:Mikey's bike episodes.  Pauly was supposed to help Mikey with the bike, but no.  Vinny and Christian helped Mike out, and showed him a hell of a lot more about the bike than Pauly did.  

I'll bet that when Sr. retires or kicks the bucket, Pauly is going to take over and run the business INTO THE GROUND because like his dad, he is going to be a major asshole to everyone.  

Even now he's a prick.  He doesn't listen to Sr. when he tries to tell him about how to do stuff.  It's like Pauly wants to have his own agenda and only cares about what he wants instead of what his dad, the owner of the shop, wants.  Jackass.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:52:28 AM EDT
[#39]
All these bike/car build shows suck now.  Same with the poker shows.  Their own success did them in.  Not unlike Detective shows, Cowboy shows, Game shows, Jerry Springer type shows, Reality Shows.  

What's next?  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:56:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:03:06 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
All these bike/car build shows suck now.  Same with the poker shows.  Their own success did them in.  Not unlike Detective shows, Cowboy shows, Game shows, Jerry Springer type shows, Reality Shows.  

What's next?  

The poker shows do suck, I'll give you that.  But, there are good shows and bad shows.  One show on Spike, Horsepower TV, is a good show.  They don't do much fabrication, just take a car, and make it look really nice with powerful modifications!  I like it.  I think that AHR and other shows of that nature, are really stupid.  

Except, horsepower TV modified a fuc%ing Honda. WTF?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:07:25 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Take a guess.....Coddington is a prick! It's amazing how he treats employees and people still buy his cars. These guys have all lost a ton of respect simply because you see how cookie cutter the products are they make. It seems like its custom when you order it....but most of the time its simply a remake of somebody else's order.

+1 To that, those are not hot rods. They are overpriced, over painted cookie cutter homemade Hondas in my opinion. They all look the same, run the same, and the most shared trait of them all. They never get driven. I love it on one of the few episodes of the car shows I have seen on Discovery where the old guys are bagging on the younger guys building true hot rods. Just where in the hell does he think his trailer queen B.S. came from??? Gee, maybe the generation from the mid 40s-late 50s, oh but wait those are pieces of shit that are not worth a damn.

I hope all of those assclowns go bankrupt, they are nothing but snobs who care about money and have completely lost touch about what hot rodding is all about.

ETA: American Chopper is a joke as well. Bolting parts together, and adding metal onto things is not "custom chopper" building. Mild customization yes, I mean they do not even do their own engine repairs even know how to crissakes! If anyone on there has any skills whatsoever it's the Italian looking guy and the other dude with the mullett.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:02:27 AM EDT
[#43]
At least Monster Garage is still good.  That one's always been interesting.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:37:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Monster Garage, with that POS Jesse james?
He'll be broke in five years.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:10:50 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I'll bet that when Sr. retires or kicks the bucket, Pauly is going to take over and run the business INTO THE GROUND because like his dad, he is going to be a major asshole to everyone.  

Agreed.  Even though I don't particularly like any of OCC's production bikes, I think it's a shame that the business will be ruined in that way.  Being torpedoed because of Paul Jr's ego will mean a lot of those other guys will lose their jobs.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:13:18 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
The poker shows do suck, I'll give you that.  But, there are good shows and bad shows.  One show on Spike, Horsepower TV, is a good show.  They don't do much fabrication, just take a car, and make it look really nice with powerful modifications!  I like it.  I think that AHR and other shows of that nature, are really stupid.  

Except, horsepower TV modified a fuc%ing Honda. WTF?

HPTV is good.  I think they did the Honda buildup to appeal to some of the younger tuner crowd but it's the only one they've done within recent history.  I think they didn't get the response they were expecting so they're back to the good old cars like the LS Gun (Camaro) and the Super Nova.  

Hiring Mike Galley may have also been to appeal to the younger crowd but I think Mike is a good addition to the team.  He knows his stuff.  I thought Chuck Hansen was on his way out when he started growing that mullet but fortunately he cut it off.  

Remember Popular Hot Rodding TV?  I liked that show, but only for Dean Skuza.  He seemed like a funny guy.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:13:27 AM EDT
[#47]
What kind of fool has his current AND ex-wife working in the same place?

I mean, WTF man?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:15:40 AM EDT
[#48]
I think his ex takes care of the books like she always has.

She seems to be about a million times more useful than his current wife, except in the sack.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:17:46 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Monster Garage, with that POS Jesse james?
He'll be broke in five years.

didn't he marry someone recently?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:21:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Boutique cars & bikes do nothing for me. Rhodium plated billet ninja star wheels won't make it go, corner or brake faster (minimized unsprung weight will)

I'll take go over show any day of the week.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top