Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2005 8:12:26 AM EDT
I'm really trying to think of things that I have around the house that I don't have a need for, but I really can't come up with anything other than an antique Victrola, a couple of long guns that I'd rather not part with, and a bookshelf full of old college textbooks.  Ugh, what could I be forgetting?

I need the bike to trade for my commute to school and work now that gas is like it is.   The old 350c.i. is killing me.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:13:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Your body maybe?  Or bodily fluids!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:14:03 AM EDT
[#2]
how about your fort
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:14:43 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
how about your fort

My fort, unlike Taxman's, was built out of office supply boxes.  I don't think that is going to work.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:15:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Wife or Kid.  That might be enough to get a OK bike.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:16:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

No kids .  And they would bring the wife back after a few days demanding a refund
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:17:28 AM EDT
[#6]
<--- Concocting a similar plan.

Old ceramic cookie jars
"Vintage" Levi jeans
Vinyl LPs
Old license plates
Various and sundry advertising signs and other promotional items (Coca-Cola, beer, etc.)
Leaded, stained-glass windows

Just poke around on ebay through the "antiques" section and you'll see that even the most seemingly worthless bullshit has a collector market.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:19:59 AM EDT
[#7]
man, we are ALL in the hurt locker, aren't we??? i'm getting ready to canc my cable and maybe my dsl just to save money. might also be selling my ferret50 upper...
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:24:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No kids .  And they would bring the wife back after a few days demanding a refund

That's the BEAUTY of it, they get her cheap, but the restock fee is a real mother****er!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:34:14 AM EDT
[#9]
What kind of bike are you looking for?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:37:52 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Old ceramic cookie jars
"Vintage" Levi jeans
Vinyl LPs
Old license plates
Various and sundry advertising signs and other promotional items (Coca-Cola, beer, etc.)
Leaded, stained-glass windows

hmmm, I have tons of these...
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:38:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:38:29 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
What kind of bike are you looking for?

any streetbike.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:39:01 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
hey beetle,

give me a call and we can go bike shopping one day.

sounds good
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:40:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Good luck and wear your helmet. We don't want to hear any horror stories involving the Beetle.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:43:06 AM EDT
[#15]
It's easy enough to find a late '70's to early '80's Japanese standard in good shape with low miles for well under $1000.  My current ride is an '83 KZ750 that I have about $500 into... only 11k miles, and I'm very happy with it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:46:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Umm, I don't know what your finances are like, but you can get a early 80s bike for like $150 - $200 and dump another $75 into it and be set.  The last bike I had I was into it like $340 (only cause I painted it) and it was up and running.  Look for an old GS or similar model.  All the brands were basically the same.

Ok course getting a bike that is 'cool'  seams to be the thing so I can't tell you what to do.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:08:50 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

All sales are final.  Used product.  

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:08:56 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Good luck and wear your helmet. We don't want to hear any horror stories involving the Beetle.

Me either!

In reponse to the latter posts - that's exactly what I'm looking for.  I don't care what it looks like as long as it can get me down the highway without a big grip on the wallet like my Sierra
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:24:03 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me either!

In reponse to the latter posts - that's exactly what I'm looking for.  I don't care what it looks like as long as it can get me down the highway without a big grip on the wallet like my Sierra

Presently I have a gn400 from suzuki I got for free, I don't actually know the year, I haven't even touched it yet, but it will be my new ride.  If you just keep your eyes peeled you will run accross an older bike.

I would be on the lookout for any 78-85 ish bike from the big names (suzuki, kawasaki, honda, etc.) that has one of those one 4 cylinders/carbs.  Those engines are tanks.  You can scavange on for a couple hundred dollars, take a saturday and to the following:

-bleed brakes
-check tires
-adjust chain
-clean, set float levels, and balance carbs
-clean factory air filter or buy and EXACT replacment so you dont' have to jet.
-spray some wd-40 in the cables and see if they function well
-change oil
-run some "Sea Foam" through it.
-check and adjust points.
- Then ride the son of a bitch!

It sounds like a long list, but it will only take about 6 hours and $50 if it is your first time through the ringer.  Then now that it is up and running, replace things as needed.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:38:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:09:14 AM EDT
[#21]
where d oyou find all of the parts?  Online, local shops?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:12:07 AM EDT
[#22]
For your wife and some old license plates... oh yea... and some 30 rounders would you consider:

I'm not referring to the bike... just all the junk around it  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:57:43 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
For your wife and some old license plates... oh yea... and some 30 rounders would you consider:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/lawdog530/bike.jpg

I'm not referring to the bike... just all the junk around it  

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:59:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:28:05 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
where d oyou find all of the parts?  Online, local shops?

You can find them on ebay and/depending on the bike you buy you can find nice online stores dedicated to certain makes and models that will have oem stuff as well.  The parts are not as hard to find as you may think.  All the bikes were pretty similar back then.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:06:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Beer Slayer asked "did you take the neck covers off of your c50?"

I took off the neck covers, the radiator shroud, the cheap-ass front (yellow reflectors), the plastic thingy under the forks (not even sure why that was put on to tell the truth), the rear (black) plastic covers on both sides and the sheet metal box (weighs about 5 pounds) behind the left (lockable) side cover where they stow the fuses and rectifier.  I also removed the tool box storage compartment and the 'tools".  Additionally, I removed the "bitch" seat and passenger foot pegs.

All-in-all I removed about 20 pounds of unnecessary junk and cleaned up the looks of the bike.  The Japanese apparently think covers are a really great thing.  To me, naked is better.

By-the-way B.S., you would be better off removing your neck covers, too.  Notice how hot your ignition key is after a ride?  The excess heat screws up your ignition switch and leaves you stranded at the most unopportune times.  You'll notice a huge difference in heat dissipation when all the extra crap is removed.

SORRY FOR HIJACKING THE ORIGINAL THREAD... Beer Slayer asked so I answered.

Lawdog
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:23:23 PM EDT
[#27]
I bet you could get a real nice bike for only one kidney.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:26:43 PM EDT
[#28]
What do you drive? Something like 15 miles or less to work?

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:28:59 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
What do you drive? Something like 15 miles or less to work?

K, now you're freaking me out, how'd you know that?  Yes, you're right, BUT, I make multiple trips since I also go to school here at night.

UPDATE
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:43:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Just remember, when buying a motorcycle. Alway choose one that reflects your personality. ANything else is ...well...uncivilized.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:57:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:18:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Beetle,
I don't know how your finances are but have you ever thought about financing a new. If your credit is good they'll give you no down and a low monthly payment. Just make sure you pay it off ahead of time as interest rates on a bike are a good deal more than a car. Kawasaki and Suzuki are running a $99 a month thing for the first year on a new bike. Plus you might be able to save more with a left-over.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:22:55 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Beetle,
I don't know how your finances are but have you ever thought about financing a new. If your credit is good they'll give you no down and a low monthly payment. Just make sure you pay it off ahead of time as interest rates on a bike are a good deal more than a car. Kawasaki and Suzuki are running a $99 a month thing for the first year on a new bike. Plus you might be able to save more with a left-over.

Actaully, my wife and I are both finishing up our degrees, and she (practically) isn't working.  So needless to say our finances are strapped, thus the motive for wanting/needing some cheaper transportation.

Not funny, B_S.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:27:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Do you have a lot of DVDs? Burn copies of the originals and sell all the originals online or to a store like Hastings or something.  Easy way to make a couple hundred bucks depending on how many DVDs you have.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top