BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/20/2004 10:17:17 AM EDT
I'd like to read this to you from the Title: Bunker Hill by author Howard Fast:

"...about a thousand of them in Connecticut. They're a bad lot."

"Why?" Clinton wanted to know.

"Two reasons," Gage said. "First of all, they're led by a cold blooded and nasty son of a bitch named Israel Putnam. We trained the old bastard ourselves, back in the French wars, and now he's giving it back to us. He's hard and heartless, and I offered to make him a rich man if he'd come back to us. Second reason - do any of you know what the levelers are?"

"Half a notion," said Howe. Back in Cromwell's time, wasn't it" A daft set of loonies, if I remember right."

"Well, it's a current disease in Connecticut. Pure and simple hatred of anyone who has more than two shillings. These levelers are something else indeed. They have a thing about equality. No rich, no poor. Or put it all poor, every man on the same level. It's a madness with them."

"And when you face muskets in the hands of those," said Clinton, "it will be no ruffle of drums to send them running. You mark my words."

"Who else is there?" Burgoyne asked.

"Over here," Gage said. "Stark and six or seven hundred men out of New Hampshire Grants. They put them back a few miles because maybe old Aartemas Ward don't know what to do with them. They are a most peculiar lot, you know some of them just riff raff, but most of them a crazy Presbytarian lot, and they don't rightly hold their land with a clear title. That, by the way is the crux of it with half the men out there a dealy fear of losing their land with the shaky title they have, and some help me God, if we could guarrantee title to all their holdings you could go home and drink your port in peace. But these men from the Grants with Stark are riflemen and bloody good marksmen, and I have seen them pop the head off a turkey at 200 paces. They are an ignorant, bigoted lot out of the woods, buckskin men who live half like animals, but if they were on that road back from Concord, not one of my men would have returned from Boston."

"I am not bugged by riflemen," Howe said. "They have to reload, and that's the business of ramming down the lead. Give them a touch of cold steel and they'll run like bloody rabbits."

"Well let me tell you this," Clinton interjected. "I have seen them at it, they'll make a line of the hundred best marksmen, and the rest will simply load. That means they will fire every ten seconds, and there is nothing like it."

"I have seen that," Gage agreed, "but they will not stand in an open field. You know, that's the maxim of that old bastard Putnam, that the Yankee, having an empty head, don't give two damns for it, so if you put him behind a stone wall or a log of wood he;s brave as a lion. But his legs and belly are another matter, and he will not have them shot at. They were lined up across the field at Lexington, and at the first shots they ran like rabbits, but coming back, they were behind the walls, and that was a horse of another color."

"Did you try to buy John Stark?" Howe wondered. "He's a good man, you know."

"I sent him a letter," Thomas Gage said, offering him a hundred gold guineas and his own ranger commission. I told him that if he raised a company of five hundred men, I would uniform them and pay them. He replied in two words."

Burgoyne raised a brow. "Two words?"

"Fuck You." It's standard King's English with them, and they suffer a paucity of vocabulary. Do you know old Putnam's order to his men? It has become a sort of slogan with them. Let me quote him: 'If one of you fucKin shitheads shows his ass to the enemy, I will slice off his balls personally.' And they love it.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:18:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I am reading the book What book are You Reading Right Now?  by:  satcong
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:21:30 AM EDT
[#2]
The Hunt for Red October.  Loved the movie, but I'd never read anything by Clancy before, so I decided to start with this one.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:27:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Jericho Sanction - Oliver North
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:29:10 AM EDT
[#4]
"how to weld"
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:32:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose

This book is number 3 on my list of the 5 best books ever!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:34:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Hockey Chronicles - Year by year history of the National Hockey League.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:34:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Electronic Circuit Analysis and Design
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:35:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Unfit for Command  by John E. O'Neill and Jerome R. Corsi, PH.D.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:36:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:36:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson.
Very readable, very long book about codebreakers in WW2. It's like Catch-22 in spots; but more subtle. Author takes quite a few digressions that are vastly entertaining.
It has a very high quotient of "Aha!" moments, when during those digressions, he explains something that I had never understood before.
The next book is a prequel, I guess; it looks to feature the manin character's forebears during the Revolutionary War.
DO NOT be fooled by the blurbs on the jacket! It's far more entertaining than it sounds.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:37:27 AM EDT
[#11]
The Case for a Creator by Lee Stroebel.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:41:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Physics   by  James Walker

Chemistry  by  Zumdahl

I have discovered that there is a mathematical equivilent of Dyslexia, and I have it
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:42:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Atlas Shrugged, of course ...
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:43:20 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Hey, who are you?

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:45:14 AM EDT
[#15]
"A Strenuous Life".........biography on Theodore Roosevelt
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:46:12 AM EDT
[#16]
The book of John.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:46:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:46:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Citizen Soldier by Stephen Ambrose.  Very detailed account of the D-Day invasion and everything that led up to it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:46:25 AM EDT
[#19]
War Stories: Operation Iraqi Freedom- Oliver North

Who is this JohnGalt anyways?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:46:28 AM EDT
[#20]
London: A Biography
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:57:11 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I have discovered that there is a mathematical equivilent of Dyslexia

That's exactly how I felt about Chemistry!!  

Anyways, I'm rereading Red Storm Rising right now.

The Russians have just broken through the Nato lines in Germany, and Nato supplies are getting low.  How will they be able to repel the communist forces???
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:58:09 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
The Russians have just broken through the Nato lines in Germany, and Nato supplies are getting low.  How will they be able to repel the communist forces???

CALL THE UN!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:59:29 AM EDT
[#23]
"In the Company of Heros" by Mike Durant.  Great book.  I can't put it down!

I also just picked up "The Battle of Mogadishu" by Matt Eversman.  Looks promising.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:05:39 AM EDT
[#24]
"Lonesome Dove" by McMurtry.  Great book, I'm really enjoying it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:10:25 AM EDT
[#25]
I just bought Unintended Consequences by John Ross for $7.00 and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by P.K. Dick (the book Blade Runner was based on) for $1.50 from a used book store on Saturday. Unintended Consequences is about $28.00 or so brand new, and that's if you can even find it. I tried Walden Books and B Dalton Books in the mall and neither stocked it. Barnes & Noble stocks it but was out.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:12:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Complete Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:20:14 AM EDT
[#27]
The Bible
Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren
Deliver Us From Evil by Sean Hannity
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:20:59 AM EDT
[#28]
29 CFR 1900-1926

OSHA Construction Industry Regulations, oh yeah and

40 CFR - Various portions.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:25:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Norma Reloading Manual (has some interesting articles in it).

Yeah – my life is dull!!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:33:36 PM EDT
[#30]
The Bible - The parts by Luke
The Two Towers - J.R.R. Tolkien

Just finished Bias by Bernard Goldberg about 3 weeks ago, which was largely about Mr. Rather. Man wasGoldberg proven correct lately.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:35:23 PM EDT
[#31]
The Virtue of Selfishness - Ayn Rand
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:38:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Storm of Steel by Ernst Junger......original title "In Storms of Steel: from the Diary of a Shock Troop Commander, Ernst Junger, War Volunteer, and subsequently Lieutenant in the Rifle Regiment of Prince Albrecht of Prussia (73rd Honavaerian Regiment)".  By far the best book on WWI combat I have read.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:39:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
"In the Company of Heros" by Mike Durant.  Great book.  I can't put it down!

Just finished it, amazing!  It was really good insight on the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (SOAR) Nightstalkers, and not just the rangers.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:39:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Just got done with Anthem (which took about two dumps to read)
Before that it was Slaughterhouse 5
Now I'm about to start For Whom the Bell Tolls

I'm not sure what after that, but I think I'm going to stick to the classics for a bit, I missed out on alot of them.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:45:06 PM EDT
[#35]
The Wastelands- Stephen King

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:51:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Patriots: Surviving the Coming Collapse

I'm almost finished and have enjoyed it.  It's kind of a shame that Rawles made ALL of his characters religious, but it didn't detract from the story much at all.  

Have you read it?  What did you think of it?

Edit: Next up:  Lucifer's Hammer
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:53:19 PM EDT
[#37]
The Teeth of the Tiger by Tom Clancy.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:53:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Immediate Action by Andy McNab
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:59:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Ive just finished 'do andriods dream of electrics sheep'Im going to try and find the novel of Black Hawk Down this week
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:08:55 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Just got done with Anthem (which took about two dumps to read)
Before that it was Slaughterhouse 5
Now I'm about to start For Whom the Bell Tolls

I'm not sure what after that, but I think I'm going to stick to the classics for a bit, I missed out on alot of them.

For Whom The Bell Tolls is a great read. Just finished it last week, for the 8th time. Most anything by Vonnegut is excellent as well.

Right now I'm reading Lucifers Hammer [for about the 20th time]. Need to stock up on some Heinlein...never read anything by him.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:20:07 PM EDT
[#41]
"Give Me A Break" by John Stossel hail.gif
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:23:06 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:30:13 PM EDT
[#43]
"Inside Delta Force"
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:32:41 PM EDT
[#44]
"Without Remorse" by Tom CLancy

As soon as I am done with it I will be reading the new Stephen Kind book "The Dark Tower" which comes out tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:35:00 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

As soon as I am done with it I will be reading the new Stephen Kind book "The Dark Tower" which comes out tomorrow.

that series is still going on?  christ talk about dragging it out.  Last thing I remember was some cowboy wandering the beach and taking anti-biotics.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:38:10 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Good choice!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:45:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Finally getting around to reading We Were Soldiers Once, and Young.  It's excellent.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:46:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Left Behind series, book#2 "Tribulation Force"
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:46:47 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that series is still going on?  christ talk about dragging it out.  Last thing I remember was some cowboy wandering the beach and taking anti-biotics.

The one tomorrow is the last book in the series. The last 3 books in the series came out in the last year or so. I know there was like a 13 year break in between 2 of the books and like 7 years between books before that. King finally promised the fans he would get on the ball and finish it up. All the waiting is almsot over, can't wait to finish that series
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:47:32 PM EDT
[#50]
"The Little Rifle that Could"

SGtar15
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top