Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2006 7:51:57 AM EDT
For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about I'll give you a short synopsis. Right after Pearl Harbor there were 5 brothers from Iowa named Sullivan who joined the Navy. The brothers were all within 7 years of each other in terms fo age. The youngest was 19 and married with a son (he was actually eligable for a deferrment from military service). The two oldest brothers had just been discharged from the Navy about a month before Pearl Harbor.

When they enlisted, the five brothers insisted that in return for their enlistment they all be allowed to serve together. They even went so far as to write the Department of the Navy stating that if the Navy wanted them it had to keep them together. The Navy agreed and after boot camp they were assigned to the USS Juneau. The ship was then destroyed at the battle of Guadalcanal by Jap subs. 4 brothers were killed instantly. The oldest brother survived but was eaten by sharks 4 days after the ship was destroyed.

These boys were obviously heros. They joined the Navy because one of their friends from their town was killed at Pearl Harbor. It's a very sad story, but fortunately one of the brothers had a son before he died and the Sullivan name did not die with them. I couldn't imagine how their parents must have felt when they were informed that all 5 of their sons were lost at sea.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:59:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I understand wanting to serve together, but that was a pretty stupid move, especially to be assigned to a light cruiser.  If they had to go to sea, they should have put them on a battleship.  Aircraft carriers were becoming the prime targets and force projectors so battleships were serving more in a support role.  Fast AAA batteries and fire support for the troops on land.  Less likely they would be hit and sunk.  Light cruisers such as the Juneau had very thin armor so they were much easier to sink.  In actuality, they Navy should have assigned them to shore duties.  The brothers probably would not have gone for that but.....
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:02:17 AM EDT
[#2]
The Navy should have never allowed the boys to serve together, it was just stupid.

Contrast Cindy Sheehan with the Sullivan family selling War bonds after they got the news.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:05:32 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Contrast Cindy Sheehan with the Sullivan family selling War bonds after they got the news.

That part I did not know.

I did know that their father worked on a "war train" moving war supplies across country and did not miss work the day that he found out that his sons were killed.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:05:55 AM EDT
[#4]
They did what THEY thought was best so what WE think doesn't matter.

Just a shame it took so long to try and rescue survivors or George might have made it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:13:20 AM EDT
[#5]
They named a destroyer in their honor, the USS The Sullivans. She is on display near here in the Buffalo Naval Park.

www.ussthesullivans.net/tour.html
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:15:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
They did what THEY thought was best so what WE think doesn't matter.

Just a shame it took so long to try and rescue survivors or George might have made it.

Bingo.  Sad that all of them left this world like that.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:18:27 AM EDT
[#7]
They were brave, patriotic, and stupid all at once.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:28:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Different world back then, I mean how many folks back then were aware of the fact that FDR and many of the Joint Chiefs KNEW that the Japs were going to attack Pearl Harbor on Dec 7th, 1941.

I suspect many things would have been quite different IF Americans had known their government was lying to them in such a manner.

If you are unaware of these facts I've mentioned above, rather than get mad at me, read these two books and then you'll know whether I've correctly represented the facts as they stood in 1941.

"Day of Deceit", by R. Stinnet

"Pearl Harbor; Mother of All Conspiracies", by Mark Emerson Willey

Mike

ps - here's a link which may benefit some: whatreallyhappened.com/pearl/www.geocities.com/Pentagon/6315/pearl.html, which has info from the Willey book mentioned above.....
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:31:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Different world back then, I mean how many folks back then were aware of the fact that FDR and many of the Joint Chiefs KNEW that the Japs were going to attack Pearl Harbor on Dec 7th, 1941.

I suspect many things would have been quite different IF Americans had known their government was lying to them in such a manner.

If you are unaware of these facts I've mentioned above, rather than get mad at me, read these two books and then you'll know whether I've correctly represented the facts as they stood in 1941.

"Day of Deceit", by R. Stinnet

"Pearl Harbor; Mother of All Conspiracies", by Mark Emerson Willey

Mike

ps - here's a link which may benefit some: whatreallyhappened.com/pearl/www.geocities.com/Pentagon/6315/pearl.html, which has info from the Willey book mentioned above.....

Completely debunked horseshit.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:43:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I believe that because of the Sullivan incident, the Navy set new rules not allowing this.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:45:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Some years back, a rock band did a song about the Sullivans.  You also hear it mentioned in Saving Private Ryan.  

They, like so many other young men, gave their lives in service to our great nation, and to the cause of freedom and liberty.  God rest their souls.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:45:32 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

And you have read both of the books I listed above, Max_Mike?

Mike
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:46:47 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

That describes most of those around me right now.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:50:22 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mike

Why are you trolling this thread with tin foil hat bullshit?
The tin foil you are advocating has nothing to do with the Sullivan brothers.

You deliberately sidetracked this thread with your own agenda.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:50:30 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Some years back, a rock band did a song about the Sullivans.  

Caroline Spine - Mrs. Sullivan.

It's a good song, but it makes it sound like they were drafted which they were not. They volunteered and they demanded that they be allowed to stay together.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:53:24 AM EDT
[#16]
I was deployed in 90-91 w/ my brother during GW1.   There was also another 2brother combo in our Bn.   Because we were not the "only" remaining offspring......they (.mil) didn't give a shit.  Neither did we.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:55:34 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Those three traits are not mutually exclusive, and never have been.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:00:23 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mike

I have completely familiar with the subject and know thy lying crap by heart… it has been well debunked.

Stop the thread hijack that tinfoil fairytale does not belong in this thread.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:16:03 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That describes most of those around me right now.

And I am proud of those brave, patriotic and stupid guys.

They beat the hell out of the ignorant, violent and self centered crap bags that plague this country.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:25:20 AM EDT
[#20]
I believe there is a monument to them in Waterloo, Iowa.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:33:51 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
They named a destroyer in their honor, the USS The Sullivans. She is on display near here in the Buffalo Naval Park.

There is also an Aegis Destroyer named after them currently being used by the Navy. I had the privilege of seeing it in Mayport, Florida.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:35:34 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

2 of them, in fact.  The Fletcher Class DD-537, now decommsioned, and the current one, DDG-68.  I had the honor of serving on DDG-68 as EMO from 2000-2003, including the ships return to Ireland for the O'Sullivan family reunion.  All crewmembers are required to know the family history and particulars of the sinking of the JUNEAU.

Albert, the youngest brother, was the only one with heirs.  His grand daugher, Kelly Sullivan Loughren, is the ships sponser.  She is very involved with the ship and frequently hosts visits by crewmembers to their home in Waterloo, Iowa.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top