Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2006 10:33:37 PM EDT
I have to go with
GOOD

1. Shotgun News. Always has at least one interesting article and the remainder is pure bathroom reading and daydreaming material.

2. Guns And Weapons For Law Enforcement. Always has quite a few good articles with basic info. I would'nt expect them to be dead on with everything info wise but they arent too bad compared to the gun magazine industry. They are a bit heavy on knife reviews every month. The mag gets high marks by me because it deals mainly with my favorite type of weapons. Black and scary looking.

3. Gunworld. Good articles. Good job covering hunting,self defense,sport and tactical type guns.

4. Small Arms Review. Oftentimes it is a dry read but it does redeem itself withthe next issue. The most thorough articles in the industry.

BAD

1. Tactical Gear Magazine. Ugh. This magazine is relatively new and had my hopes up and they immediately were dashed when i opened the pages. The articles are boring and filled with the sort of crap that SOF dumps out. The only good feature is the pictures of new gear that i end up going online to find out about.
2. Soldier Of Fortune. Still stupid after all these years. It has the most outdated info. What sort of monthly magazine would carry a terror alert feature that is usually completely outdated by the time it goes to print. While i agree with the vast majority of articles in the magazine the total bashing done to anything that isnt completely christian is kind of annoying. I feel like thay may start trashing catholics or something.
3. Guns And Ammo. They need to change the title to Guns And Payoffs.
4. SWAT. I am always hoping this mag will pull itself out of the shitter but every month i get more and more bored by the layout and articles. Once ina  blue moon they have some good ones but for the most part it is the most boring gun magazine in my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:02:30 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
2. Soldier Of Fortune. Still stupid after all these years. It has the most outdated info. What sort of monthly magazine would carry a terror alert feature that is usually completely outdated by the time it goes to print. While i agree with the vast majority of articles in the magazine the total bashing done to anything that isnt completely christian is kind of annoying. I feel like thay may start trashing catholics or something.

Sorry to disagree on that, but SoF strenghts are not in its guns, it is in the insight of what's happening  around the world.  They pretty much predicted that a 9/11/01 wtc/Pentagon was going to happen, but unfortunately couldn't tell you when, but they did a pretty heavy duty issue on all of the cast of characters in the Middle East.  They did a story on the trafficking of women and white slavery months before the mainstream news media caught on, they predicted the problem with the CIA with all of the older agents being pushed out by Clinton appointees and totally immobilized the agency, and they did a pretty good story on modern day pirates.  They have reporters that are actually in the middle of a firefight whereas other reports are spending time at the local hotel's bar.

My pick for magazine are American Handgunner and the NRA's American Rifleman.

Worst, Gun World.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:03:43 PM EDT
[#2]
They still print SOF?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:06:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
They still print SOF?

Yep, Soldier of Fortune
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:16:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Soldier of fortune is for posers. It was good in 1976 but like everything else it has gone dooooownhill. Any mag that uses the term "sitrep" is for posers.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:22:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I have hundreds of old gun mags, but no new ones.....I read on the Internet and buy ammo instead of gun magazines.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:48:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have to go with
GOOD

1. Shotgun News. Always has at least one interesting article and the remainder is pure bathroom reading and daydreaming material.

2. Guns And Weapons For Law Enforcement. Always has quite a few good articles with basic info. I would'nt expect them to be dead on with everything info wise but they arent too bad compared to the gun magazine industry. They are a bit heavy on knife reviews every month. The mag gets high marks by me because it deals mainly with my favorite type of weapons. Black and scary looking.

3. Gunworld. Good articles. Good job covering hunting,self defense,sport and tactical type guns.

4. Small Arms Review. Oftentimes it is a dry read but it does redeem itself withthe next issue. The most thorough articles in the industry.

BAD

1. Tactical Gear Magazine. Ugh. This magazine is relatively new and had my hopes up and they immediately were dashed when i opened the pages. The articles are boring and filled with the sort of crap that SOF dumps out. The only good feature is the pictures of new gear that i end up going online to find out about.
3. Guns And Ammo. They need to change the title to Guns And Payoffs.
4. SWAT. I am always hoping this mag will pull itself out of the shitter but every month i get more and more bored by the layout and articles. Once ina  blue moon they have some good ones but for the most part it is the most boring gun magazine in my opinion.

I mostly agree with your choices.  

1. Shotty News is indeed excellent bathroom reading material; tantamount to intercepting a copy of your folks' Adam & Eve catalogs as a teenager.  It's fair & balanced!

2. G&Wfor LE always has enough articles and reviews that at least a few of them per issue peak my interest, and the quality of writing and perceived accuracy of information presented is usually better than most of the other rags.  

3. SAR is definitely the most thorough.  Hit or miss as far as my interest goes, but that all depends on what type of firearm they are reviewing.  

4. I enjoy SWAT.  They are the Lite beer of quality gun rags; I can get through one pretty quick, and am not mad at meself for wasting my money on a magazine that I bought for one lousy review on one new gun and the remainder of the mag sucked after I'm done with it.  This happens with others.

5. I still find myself a regular reader of SOF.  I don't get every issue like I used to, but I read them pretty regularly.  I do think that they have been slacking for the past 5 years or so though.  It seemed like it was such a better magazine back in the early 90s.  Nowadays their writers rarely find themselves in any 3rd world shithole riding along with one side of some obscure conflict; instead it's usually just reports from a GI in the sandbox.  Don't get me wrong, I like to hear how it is for the boots out front, but I also miss the articles from the Balkans and Africa of the early 90s.

As for the rest, I don't buy them often enough for them to rate.  See last two sentences of #4 above.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:50:12 PM EDT
[#7]
The best for me would be Small Arms Review.......It's the only one I read anymore. I pretty much get the latest updates on whats happening weapons wise from this site.....
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:37:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Gun Test -

" This month we are going to see how a Red Ryder BB gun ,a Mossberg pump and a Kel-Tec 9mm stack up against the venerable Barrett 50 cal."

They constantly run comparison of unrelated firearms .Apples and lug nuts.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top