Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2006 11:17:12 PM EDT
I bought a pair of H-Suspenders. They have 2 hooks on them and I want to know what they are for. When you put them on the hooks are at the top of your shoulders facing back. They would interfere with the shoulder straps from your ALICE pack. I was thinking it may have been a way to tie into your ALICE pack, doing away with the shoulder straps but I don't see how. I have Y-Suspenders and they don't have these hooks. Any ideas?

ETA: Replaced Internet picture with my own close up.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:44:29 PM EDT
[#1]
They look like a cheap chinese add-on, since I don't recall USGI suspenders having those extra hooks. Maybe they're to aid in attaching the buttpack? When attached correctly, the back 2 straps were shortened and attached to the top of the buttpack, which in turn attached to the pistol belt.

Maybe they're just for gee-whiz gadgets.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:54:58 PM EDT
[#2]
They will hook  to your web belt

Where did you find them at?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:01:07 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
They will hook  to your web belt

Where did you find them at?

I think he means the extra set of hooks, located near the shoulder points.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:10:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought them a while ago from CTD for $1.97. They were advertised as surplus USGI LC-2 H-Suspenders. They appear to be unissued. The print on the inside says:

SUSPENDERS, FIELD PACK, NYLON
DSA 100-68-C-2823
8465-935-6830

I know the hooks on the 2 straps go to the web belt. I'm talking about the hooks on the top/back of your shoulders. As you can see in my picture they hang back. Anything you hook to them would be hanging on your back.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:20:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:04:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:32:32 AM EDT
[#7]
It is an M-67 harness. It's probably a knockoff, as originals can e a bit hard to come by. Rothco makes some of them.

I don't remember what the hooks are for, but they were on the originals.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:23:09 AM EDT
[#8]
On the M1967 modernized version of the M1956 web equipment, the shoulder hooks on the "H" harness is to attach a butt pack.  That requires an additional adapter, however.

The M1967 nylon sleeping bag carrier (spaghetti straps), butt pack, and suspenders adapter for the butt pack were intended for all troops not issued the tropical rucksack ("X" frame version).

The M1967 nylon web gear is an indermediate step between the M1956 canvas web gear and the ALCE system.  Components include the nylon pistol belt with stamped quick release; 20 round M-16 magazine pouches; nylon "H" harness with hooks for using a butt pack as a 'pack'; nylon cover for the trifold entrenching tool; tropical rucksack ("X" fame version); etc.

The M1967 webbing never fully replaced the M1956 canvas system.  Most troops were issued full or partial M1956 gear right up to the fielding of the ALCE system.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:16:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Yep its a set of M67 suspenders.  One of the interesting things about M67 gear is the use of plastic pull the dot snaps on the canteen covers, the first aid pouch and the M203 vest.  You have a real collectable piece there, IF its not a copy.  There were a bunch of "Vietnam" era 5 quart canteens made it china that showed up a few years back.  The factory in the far east copied the Log information straight off the original they copied.  

If they are real and not a chinese copy I would be more than happy to replace them for you, and add them to my collection of M67 gear.  The only pieces that I have not been able to track down are a first aid pouch and the M203 vest.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:43:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes, you guys are correct from what I found overnight online. They are the M1967 H-Suspenders. The hooks are to attach your buttpack or a second buttpack up to your shoulders like a backpack. This does away with the need for the adapter used on the M1956 H-Suspenders.

I have 2 buttpacks but they are the newer versions. They don't have the 2 straps to secure the bottom. Would be kind of like a cape.

How do I tell if they are copies? They were advertised as surplus USGI. They have the info printed inside and the US on the back. This is also printed inside: -6-

ETA: I have been looking through eBay and found a few sets wrapped in string. They said they are new old stock straight from the original packing crates. Mine were wrapped in string also.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top