Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/14/2004 12:33:51 PM EST
ok, I know it was bad, but I need a box of .410 shells and a box of FMJ 30-06. I went to wally world. while standing at the counter I saw a map of the united states color coded as to what states could by a gun at my local wal-mart. (I think it was all but about four states).

I thought that you had to buy firearms in your own state, and if you went acrossed state lines you would need an FFL.

What is the skinny?

Can I go to IL and pick up my next RRA or DSA, and cut the shipping and FFL fees out?

Thanks,

Badredfish
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 12:36:25 PM EST
yes I'd like to know as well
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 12:36:30 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/14/2004 12:37:45 PM EST by shaggy]
An FFL can sell rifles and shotguns to a non-licensee from any state as long as the sale complies with the law of both states. This does not apply to handgun sales though.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 12:36:50 PM EST
No you can't. You must abide by the rules of YOUR home state.

So usually the rifle gets shipped to a FFL in YOUR state and the paperwork is done there.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 12:37:29 PM EST
Yes if you cross state lines you need to buy from an FFL.

You can only buy a handgun in your home state - if you buy in another state they (the selling FFL) must ship it to a FLL in your state.

Longarms are another story. Unless there is a state law against it you can buy longarms from FFLs in other states - providing they comply with laws in your state regarding restrictions.

For example if I buy a Winchester in VA (I live in MD) it's cash-nics-carry and I'm good to go. If I try to buy an AK-47 they must hold onto the rifle for 8 days before I can take it home (even though VA has no waiting period - MD does for certain 'restricted' firearms).
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:16:32 AM EST
Thanks for the replys,

It shocked me to see that sign. I alway thought that you had to be in your own state w/ proper ID to buy any gun.

I had an expercience one time in the land of linclon - the guy behind the sales counter would not even let me hole an over and under untill I showed my my FOID card. I told him I did not have one, he was not going to let me look at a browning. I had to show him my Florida ID to have him let me hold the gun. (I guess he did not understand that if I wanted to buy the gun that I could have had a FFL sent to him).

So I guess I could buy one in Georgia, but not IL?

Thanks,

Badredfish
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:30:50 AM EST

Originally Posted By Forest:
Yes if you cross state lines you need to buy from an FFL.

You can only buy a handgun in your home state - if you buy in another state they (the selling FFL) must ship it to a FLL in your state.

Longarms are another story. Unless there is a state law against it you can buy longarms from FFLs in other states - providing they comply with laws in your state regarding restrictions.

For example if I buy a Winchester in VA (I live in MD) it's cash-nics-carry and I'm good to go. If I try to buy an AK-47 they must hold onto the rifle for 8 days before I can take it home (even though VA has no waiting period - MD does for certain 'restricted' firearms).

Yup , but VA has a state check so we can;t buy guns in any state other then VA without a transfer

Which sucks royally as I am trying to get a Vector uzi carbine from Atlantic Firearms now in MD and have to have them ship it to me .
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:36:16 AM EST
This may be a dumb question but I will ask.

Say you buy a handgun from a private party, not an FFL, while out of state. Then dring the handgun back to your state. Any problems with this
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:36:55 AM EST

Originally Posted By Luckystiff:
This may be a dumb question but I will ask.

Say you buy a handgun from a private party, not an FFL, while out of state. Then dring the handgun back to your state. Any problems with this

Yes, very illegal

handgun OR longgun
Top Top