Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2004 4:10:43 PM EDT
I have never served in the military and I had cancer in high school.  I have been disease free for 13 years and I could pass any physical otherwise.

Anything?  Tell me please!
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:12:45 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

You have a PHD? Why the hell would think about going into the military???

Not to bash the military AT ALL, but you have a gift man, put it to use!

ETA: you can serve the country by making lots of money and paying lots of taxes!
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:15:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm 31 and had cancer about 5 years ago but am healthy now.  I talked to a Marine recruiter, he told me to call the Air Force.  No offense to the Air Force, that's really what I was told!
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:15:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You have a PHD? Why the hell would think about going into the military???

Not to bash the military AT ALL, but you have a gift man, put it to use!

ETA: you can serve the country by making lots of money and paying lots of taxes!

I am a professor at a small Bible college.  A big paycheck is not in the relm of reality for me.  The wife however....
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:20:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Go civil service instead of military, you'd fit right in with R&D.  And yes, thats what I do right now, my boss is a Lt. Colonel.  PhD would start at about $59k/yr.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:20:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Dude...you have a Ph.D. in Chemistry and you are worried about $$$???  There are plenty of companies out there who would pay you BIG $$$...no offense, but you are wasting your talents at that "small bible college"...
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:25:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Dude...you have a Ph.D. in Chemistry and you are worried about $$$???  There are plenty of companies out there who would pay you BIG $$$...no offense, but you are wasting your talents at that "small bible college"...

Well if is still the way it was when may father was working as a chemist even PHD chemist don’t get big bucks, they are no where near as well paid as chemical engineers that know a quarter as much as a BS chemist does.  

If you want to serve the country there is plenty of work for chemist in the defense industry. My father did research work for 30 years on explosives and rocket fuels.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:28:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well if is still the way it was when may father was working as a chemist even PHD chemist don’t get big bucks, they are no where near as well paid as chemical engineers that know a quarter as much as a BS chemist does.  

If you want to serve the country there is plenty of work for chemist in the defense industry. My father did research work for 30 years on explosives and rocket fuels.

huh huh...explosives...that would be cool...huh huh mmm huh huh...
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:29:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I don't make alot of money, but I'm not interested in making alot of money.  I serve the Lord, and I feel compelled to see what I can do to serve my country.  I still perform research, but at a less pressure-packed pace.  What I publish or what grants I get are simply icing on the cake.

I'm being hypocritical about the money though, my wife makes some coin!
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:31:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Go to Los Alamos...make 125000.00 your first year
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:39:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Army Chemical Engineer, had a co-worker that has a BS in Chem; Captain in the Army Reserves now.   He tried to resign his commision every six months or so for the past ten years.  They never accept, big shortage for that MOS.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:43:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Talk to the AF or Navy.

They could probably use a research person.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:45:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

huh huh...explosives...that would be cool...huh huh mmm huh huh...

Our house was right outside the plant behind the lab. You could almost set time by the test explosions.

I had a summer job at the plant there is nothing like walking down a production line surrounded by a couple of tons of RDX or Composition B

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:07:32 PM EDT
[#13]
one and only bump.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:11:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Professor at bible college.......chaplain?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:39:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

What I would suggest.

Then again, talk to a NAVY recruiter, they'll do any required lying for you.  
Most likely won't be necessary since they can get waivers for everything under the sun.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:53:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I have never served in the military and I had cancer in high school.  I have been disease free for 13 years and I could pass any physical otherwise.

Really I think the Navy or Airforce would be the only ones to take you under those circumstances.

I can understand where you are coming from about not being out for money.  I don't have a PhD but believe me I could if I applied myself.  I tested highest in my class on the ACT, met the qualifications for Mensa, quit college with a full scholarship, yatta yatta.  I'm not caught up in the rat race.  No one's gonna care about all my money when I'm dead, and at the rate people seem to be getting dumber at no ones gonna care about a chemists discoveries(if any) for a long time.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:55:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Kindstranger:
Civil servants take the same oath officers take upon their commissioning, its like being in the military without the saluting or the dress code.  And they cant reject you for any medical reason (AND you will be able to buy health and life insurance, you cant be turned down).  And you get to play with some kickass toys.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:57:19 PM EDT
[#18]
... Look to Primary Defense Contractors - Pay scales have increased significantly in the past 10 years.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:03:49 PM EDT
[#19]
NAVY RESERVES
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:13:46 PM EDT
[#20]
I would like to keep my current job.  My college would be supportive and I would be available all summer and would have ample weekends free.  If I were called to active duty, I would certainly be able to accomodate that as well.

I guess that Reserves or Guard are my two biggest considerations right now.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:32:49 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Direct appointment into the Army or Navy...with a PhD you should/Could rate O-3 or maybe better as a Chaplin ..you'd spend 4-8 weeks at officer daycare!
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:40:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Contact the Defense Intelligence Agency

You could be a chemical & biological weapons analyst

Fun Job
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:44:31 PM EDT
[#23]
With a PhD in Chemistry, you can be of much more use as a civilian employee of the DOD or at one of the national/military laboratories and research centers.

Don't feel like you're carrying less of your share because you aren't in a uniform.  It takes all kinds of people to make the US military what it is, and it's all about getting the most bang for the buck personnel-wise.  Your skills would be put to much better use doing research and development or technical analysis, as opposed to the majority of things you could be doing in a  uniformed capacity.

If you doubt The Neutral Observer, just remember the Manhattan Project.  Most of those guys were civilians, and they made a very important contribution to the war effort.

If you want to stick around at your old job, you can pursue certain grants or consulting positions, if you can find them.  There is a significant amount of research work being farmed out to universities by the DOD.  As with most funding issues at universities, this one is about kissing the right person's ass.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:55:22 PM EDT
[#24]
If the Army will take you and your wife will let you go for it. You are at the age where it is now or never. You being a cancer survivor I don't need to tell you to seize the day. You could go infantry for two years and be out. You get to do some the high speed stuff and when you get out you will still be a young man. You can always use your education when you get out.

What part of Georgia do you live in?
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 3:58:32 AM EDT
[#25]
I dunno seems to me that with that sort of knowledge, EOD would love to get their hands on you.  

Don't know if you'd have problems getting an age waiver though.  I'm pretty sure your past the cutoff for Navy EOD, but maybe not.  Check out the Army.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:30:44 AM EDT
[#26]
What do YOU really want to do?  You need to prioritize and focus...WITH your Missus' right by your side.

Are you willing to move?  There are lots of good research jobs on campi and in for-profit labs all over the country.  There are folks working their collective butts off right now searching for answers to the IED problems.  Perhaps applied research is your bag?

Do you want to get in the shit...lock and load...kill bad people before they kill you and your family in your beds?  Are you mentally and physically ready to become one of America's true badasses?  If so, get your mind and body ready and go visit an Army or Marine Corps officer recruiter.

You might apply at some of the major tech institutes such as MITRE, JHU APL, Lincoln Labs, or Georgia Tech Research.  They are always searching for PhD to work DoD related conttracts.  It is a little known secret that though they are not-for-profit, they do actually operate just like a civilian defense contractor business in that they provide technical services and products to the military...and right now the focus is on this war in Iraq.

I can give you a steer to one of the institutes if you want.   IM me if you're interested.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:50:39 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Advanced degrees don't always add up to big money these days. Yes there are PHds in Chemistry that make big money but, then there are a lot of others that are teaching like our friend here.

My cousin has a 5 year degree in Chemical engineering. She coaches a gymnastics team...
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:10:37 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Go civil service instead of military, you'd fit right in with R&D.  

THAT's your best bet!!!

General Dynamics has a new Chem Weapons sensor division in Charlotte, NC.
You'd be a blessing to them!
http://www.gd.com/
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:26:19 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
What do YOU really want to do?  You need to prioritize and focus...WITH your Missus' right by your side.

Are you willing to move?  There are lots of good research jobs on campi and in for-profit labs all over the country.  There are folks working their collective butts off right now searching for answers to the IED problems.  Perhaps applied research is your bag?

Do you want to get in the shit...lock and load...kill bad people before they kill you and your family in your beds?  Are you mentally and physically ready to become one of America's true badasses?  If so, get your mind and body ready and go visit an Army or Marine Corps officer recruiter.

You might apply at some of the major tech institutes such as MITRE, JHU APL, Lincoln Labs, or Georgia Tech Research.  They are always searching for PhD to work DoD related conttracts.  It is a little known secret that though they are not-for-profit, they do actually operate just like a civilian defense contractor business in that they provide technical services and products to the military...and right now the focus is on this war in Iraq.

I can give you a steer to one of the institutes if you want.   IM me if you're interested.

Here is a better synopsis of my situation:

I love my job.
I am near four major research institutions where I do collaborative research.
The research I do is in small molecule organic synthesis and enzyme kinetics.
Research wise, I am basically a contract off-site post doc
I would be very keen in chemical warfare, explosives, or drug war
Serving as a Chaplain is appealing, however...
I am not a minister and I have not gone to a seminary.  I am devoted to Christ none the less.
I love my country.
I wonder if I could serve in the Reserves or Guard where my education could be of value.
I would rather not relocate.
I am very comfortable with being called active for an extended period of time.
I am a member of ARFCOM, and certain stereotypes are applicable.

Synopsis:  I feel like I am being called to serve.  This is the same experience as when I was called to take the job at my small college.  It is the same experience as when I chose to follow God's will when I had cancer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top