Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2015 9:10:25 AM EDT
Dammit, I want to put my dashcam suction cup right in that spot, but the damn dots won't allow the cup to stick for more than an hour. What are the freakin' things for, and can I clear out a couple inch diameter of them with a razor blade for the cup to stick? Grrr......
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:11:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:11:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Alien identification tags
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:13:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Lots of windshields have a "third visor" in the middle of the windshield above/behind the mirror, cuts down on glare in an area your visors won't cover
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:14:12 AM EDT
[#4]
They are to reduce sun glare by reducing transmission of light.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:16:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Use 3m tape
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dammit, I want to put my dashcam suction cup right in that spot, but the damn dots won't allow the cup to stick for more than an hour. What are the freakin' things for, and can I clear out a couple inch diameter of them with a razor blade for the cup to stick? Grrr......

Use 3m tape

Will it hold? Gets damn hot in there after being parked in the sun with the windows up.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:16:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:16:46 AM EDT
[#7]
They are there to piss you off OP
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:17:07 AM EDT
[#8]
You count them while in traffic.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:17:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:22:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:23:43 AM EDT
[#11]
They are used for the passenger to play tac tic toos when sitting in the seat.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:25:50 AM EDT
[#12]
It's a dash-cam prevention device.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:29:18 AM EDT
[#13]
What dash cam did you get?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:35:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What dash cam did you get?
View Quote

G1W from ebay or Amazon. it was like $60 and is one of the best bargains out there for what you get. Great reviews overall.

Thanks, guys. I guess I'll do the 3m doublesided tape then.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:38:03 AM EDT
[#15]
I got the mirror mount for my GW1 dash cam...works great.
Drill a hole in the window...use a bolt...duh...
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:38:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL, it ticked me off! "Right where I want to put it! Of allllll the real estate on this whole fucking windscreen, this is the only place I can't put this fucking thing?!?"
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:43:39 AM EDT
[#17]
The dots are there to shade the edge of the glass where the adhesive is. The ultra violet rays can breakdown the adhesive and cause the glass to release from the channel in which it is glued, causing a leak and wind noise.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:45:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

LOL, it ticked me off! "Right where I want to put it! Of allllll the real estate on this whole fucking windscreen, this is the only place I can't put this fucking thing?!?"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LoL reminds me of this guy I passed on the interstate the other night.  Dude had his smart phone rigged up with a suction cup on the far left side of the windshield, and a friggin tablet set up in the middle.  Both at full brightness in the middle of the night.  I don't know how the guy saw through it all.  Makes me wonder if he was just as pissed about the dots.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:49:24 AM EDT
[#19]
3m dual lock like used on EZ Passes would probably work too? It definitely takes the heat.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:51:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The dots are there to shade the edge of the glass where the adhesive is. The ultra violet rays can breakdown the adhesive and cause the glass to release from the channel in which it is glued, causing a leak and wind noise.
View Quote

I don't understand this part.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:52:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
They are to reduce sun glare by reducing transmission of light.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:52:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

LoL reminds me of this guy I passed on the interstate the other night.  Dude had his smart phone rigged up with a suction cup on the far left side of the windshield, and a friggin tablet set up in the middle.  Both at full brightness in the middle of the night.  I don't know how the guy saw through it all.  Makes me wonder if he was just as pissed about the dots.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn dots. I'm starting a support group.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:54:11 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
3m dual lock like used on EZ Passes would probably work too? It definitely takes the heat.
View Quote

Yeah, now that you bring it up, there are a bunch of different kinds of 3m tape. For those of you who've suggested it for this use, what specific kind do you suggest?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:54:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's saying wind could slip in through the failed glue, but shaving a few dots ain't gonna cause that kind of failure. And to answer your question, yes, you can shave them off with a razor. Window tinters do it all the time to prevent bubbles.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:56:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I windshield that isnt sealed properly will leak. Well, when it not raining, it still leaks, but it only leaks air. You can hear it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:57:49 AM EDT
[#26]
No, shaving a few dots isn't going to cause any problems. I was just answering the original question about why the dots are there.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:02:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Jade Helm civilian tracking device bro.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:13:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
No, shaving a few dots isn't going to cause any problems. I was just answering the original question about why the dots are there.
View Quote

Yep, I get it now.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:23:30 AM EDT
[#29]
NSA identification tool.  Much like barcodes, the pattern of the dots is unique to each vehicle.   This allows the satellites to identify and track vehicles.  Think of it as facial recognition for autos.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:24:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yep, I get it now.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, I get it now.  

Be careful with this advice.  You may end up locked away in some remote North Dakota prison camp along with all the folks who tore the tags from the mattresses.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:25:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
NSA identification tool.  Much like barcodes, the pattern of the dots is unique to each vehicle.   This allows the satellites to identify and track vehicles.  Think of it as facial recognition for autos.
View Quote

Dang, to even think of that, you gotta be a little paranoid.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:28:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Take one and hold it under your tongue for a more colorful driving experience.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:33:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:34:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Just get the mirror mount, they are way better than the suction cup.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:52:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I use the red 3m tape.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, now that you bring it up, there are a bunch of different kinds of 3m tape. For those of you who've suggested it for this use, what specific kind do you suggest?

I use the red 3m tape.

Don't they make strong stuff in black? I think the red would look gawdy and obvious when outside, looking in.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 11:01:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Don't they make strong stuff in black? I think the red would look gawdy and obvious when outside, looking in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I use the red 3m tape.

I think he is referring to the double sided foam tape with the red wrapper and packaging.  The tape is actually white.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 11:02:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
They are there to piss you off OP
View Quote

HK windshield dots.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 11:02:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Shade balls for your eyes.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 11:04:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 11:10:49 AM EDT
[#40]
I just replaced a G1W with a different model. The LiPo battery had puffed up inside it (probably from the heat of the car) and pushed the front of the housing off.

I replaced it with this:

...which has a capacitor instead of a battery so it won't puff up or worse, catch fire. The cap gives it enough energy to save the video file in case of an accident or when you shut the car off. And I have it installed behind my mirror right on top of the dots, since it uses 3M tape anyway. The installation is very clean. It uses a little funnel shaped plug housing and if you run the wire behind the head liner and "B" Pillar, you won't see any wire at all.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 11:14:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I just replaced a G1W with a different model. The LiPo battery had puffed up inside it (probably from the heat of the car) and pushed the front of the housing off.

I replaced it with this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UUQD9L6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

...which has a capacitor instead of a battery so it won't puff up or worse, catch fire. The cap gives it enough energy to save the video file in case of an accident or when you shut the car off. And I have it installed behind my mirror right on top of the dots, since it uses 3M tape anyway. The installation is very clean. It uses a little funnel shaped plug housing and if you run the wire behind the head liner and "B" Pillar, you won't see any wire at all.
View Quote

That's a wild looking dashcam. Good price and decent reviews.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 11:15:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Those are coded identification numbers for satellite tracking by the NSA/CIA.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:23:58 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View Quote

Now how many arfcommers are going to be studying those dots for a discernible pattern?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:30:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:50:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I replaced it with this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UUQD9L6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

This!

I like that! a LOT
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:50:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:56:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The "sticky" part of the tape is actually clear... the non-sticky layer you peel off each side is red.

Amazon carries it.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81WUwg619DL._SL1500_.jpg

<a href="http://s251.photobucket.com/user/TGrayman/media/itstape.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TGrayman/itstape.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I use the red 3m tape.

The "sticky" part of the tape is actually clear... the non-sticky layer you peel off each side is red.

Amazon carries it.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81WUwg619DL._SL1500_.jpg

<a href="http://s251.photobucket.com/user/TGrayman/media/itstape.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TGrayman/itstape.jpg</a>

LOL, thank you.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:30:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, it is the tape that TheGrayMan posted a picture of.  The tape is clear, the backing is red and says "VHB" on it.  My dash cam has been attached for over two years, no issues.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top