Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2005 6:53:06 PM EDT
Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:06:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Well I don't know about the other branches, but the Army says that for males the hair must be off of the collar, tapered, not blocked, not a fadish hair style, does not interfere with the wearing of any military headgear or the protective mask. I think that the may even be a restriction on the length but I can't remember. I keep mine short. I must admit that I am remiss in this because as an NCO I should know the entire regulation for hair.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:08:26 PM EDT
[#2]
0 to 3 for the USMC
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:11:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
0 to 3 for the USMC

And if you don't have a high and tight, you're a shitbag.

I hated the USMC haircut "regs".
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:15:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
0 to 3 for the USMC

And if you don't have a high and tight, you're a shitbag.

I hated the USMC haircut "regs".

Yeah, no one seems to follow regs regarding hair cuts... they mostly have high and tights, horseshoes, or bald.  Hell, the main reason is so you don't have to get your damn hair cut once a week.

A lot of the appearance regs in the USMC seem to be merely suggestions for the low end of the spectrum.  Like the one that says you aren't supposed to starch your cammies...
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:16:21 PM EDT
[#5]
USAF: Block or tapered. No more than 1 inch in bulk. Off the ears. Sideburns no lower than ear opening. No fads or funky styling. For a while, bic-ing your head was a no no unless you were actually bald. But i've never seen that rule enforced.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:21:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Coast Guard: Get it cut when someone starts bitching at you about it
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:28:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
0 to 3 for the USMC

and tapered.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:33:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Coast Guard: Get it cut when someone starts bitching at you about it

Hey that's the air force also! lol
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:42:49 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Air Force is no more than 1 1/4" in bulk, no longer than 1/4" at any point of termination, side burns can not be longer than the lowest point of the opening of the ear and the hair cut mus st "taper" or "fade" into itself.  Meaning no lines.  Hair off the ears. The Air Force has recently approved shaved bald heads and high and tights.  Before these were both considered fadish.  And no excessive grooming aids like moose or gels or spudge.

Also you can have long hair as long as it is not  more than 1 1/4" in bulk.  Meaning you can have hair 5-6 inches long if it is combed back over the top of your head with out the aid of excessive gels, mooses and such.

Marines hate AF guys because we have long ass hair and side burns.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:44:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:45:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
0 to 3 for the USMC

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:47:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, but not because they are jealous.  It looks sloppy as hell to have long hair and sideburns when you are a member of the United States military unless you are SF then you get a pass.  Same goes for an unkempt uniform.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:48:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
0 to 3 for the USMC

and tapered.

Right.

The 0 to 3 means it is supposed to go from 0 at the base to 3 at the top which would result in a taper.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:50:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

and you hate marines cause they fuck your hot chicks.

What? You think they didn't get railed in Tech School before you guys got to them?

Shit dude, all those chicks get teamed long before they get to you guys.  It isn't illegal for Air Force people to rent hotels rooms in Tech School towns because they want you to enjoy the dorms.

PDA park in Sheppard AFB isn't a myth, and Typhoon Parties are off limits to Marines...

Those chicks have so many miles on them, AF guys are more than willing to let you sad bastards have them.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:58:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, but not because they are jealous.  It looks sloppy as hell to have long hair and sideburns when you are a member of the United States military unless you are SF then you get a pass.  Same goes for an unkempt uniform.

I guess that's why the AF has so many Marines lining up to join...or is it the women?

My hair looks good I have side burns to the limit and it's about 1 1/4 in length and bulk, red and women love it.  I have buzzed my hair and girls don't like it.  I guess they just like my hair longer.  What can I see, I'm just good looking...

Oh well, I will just have to reside myself to wearing out AF girls for you Marines and enjoying the A/C in my office and Spring Break here in Sunny Florida.  BTW: did I mention that I get paid the same amount as you?  And I got a $60,000 bonus for re-enlisting? That was tax free when I was stationed in Saudi Arabia in a nice ass air conditioned dorm, and I was banging the orderly room girl.  Can't wait to get stationed in Spain or Italy.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:00:07 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
0 to 3 for the USMC

and tapered.

Right.

The 0 to 3 means it is supposed to go from 0 at the base to 3 at the top which would result in a taper.

just quoting the reg, no need to get pissy.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:04:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Here's for my service, Navy:
a.  Men.  Keep hair neat, clean and well groomed.  Hair above the ears and around the neck shall be tapered from the lower natural hairline upwards at least 3/4 inch and outward not greater than 3/4 inch to blend with hair­style.  Hair on the back of the neck must not touch the collar.  Hair shall be no longer than four inches and may not touch the ears, collar, extend below eyebrows when headgear is removed, show under front edge of headgear, or interfere with properly wearing military headgear.  The bulk of the hair shall not exceed approximately two inches. Bulk is defined as the distance that the mass of hair protrudes from the scalp.  Hair coloring must look natural and complement the individual.  Faddish styles and outrageous multicolored hair are not authorized.  The unique quality and texture of curled, kinked, waved, and straight hair are recognized, and in some cases the 3/4 inch taper at the back of the neck may be difficult to attain.  In those cases hair must present a graduated appearance and may combine the taper with a line at the back of the neck. One (cut, clipped or shaved) natural, narrow, fore and aft part is authorized.  Varying hairstyles, including afro, are permitted if these styles meet the criteria of maximum length and bulk, tapered neck and sides, and do not interfere with properly wearing military headgear.  Plaited or braided hair shall not be worn while in uniform or in a duty status.  Keep sideburns neatly trimmed and tailored in the same manner as the haircut.  Sideburns shall not extend below a point level with the middle of the ear, shall be of even width (not flared) and shall end with a clean shaven horizontal line.  <Figure 2‑2‑1> refers. "Muttonchops", "ship's cap­tain", or similar grooming modes are not authorized.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:04:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What? You think they didn't get railed in Tech School before you guys got to them?

Shit dude, all those chicks get teamed long before they get to you guys.  It isn't illegal for Air Force people to rent hotels rooms in Tech School towns because they want you to enjoy the dorms.

PDA park in Sheppard AFB isn't a myth, and Typhoon Parties are off limits to Marines...

Those chicks have so many miles on them, AF guys are more than willing to let you sad bastards have them.

Funny, when I was at Ft Huachuca a while back, I remember the AF Det OIC complaining to the Marine Det OIC about all his pregnant Airwomen and wanting the Major to keep the Marines out of his barracks.  As I remember, the Major replied with something to the effect of the AF Det OIC keeping his Airwhores off his Marines.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:06:40 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
USAF: Block or tapered. No more than 1 inch in bulk. Off the ears. Sideburns no lower than ear opening. No fads or funky styling. For a while, bic-ing your head was a no no unless you were actually bald. But i've never seen that rule enforced.

That was part of the reason I asked this question.

I had a discussion with someone regarding military hairstyles and what is considered "extreme" or unusual.

Obviously one can't have a tye-dyed-punk-rocker-multi-colored-shellacked-rooster-crown, but a "high and tight" mohawk style could be passable.

The other end of the spectrum (as I understood it), was that "bic-ing" it (shaving your head bald), was also considered "extreme".

You either have hair, or you don't.

If you do (have hair), you have to maintain it according to current regs, but you cannot shave it off completely.

Am I correct on this?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:07:54 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

And the girls are glad to find the Marines get to the unused part, IE deep'er than 2 inches.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:08:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Army - AR670-1 Wear and Appearance of Army Uniforms

1–8. Hair and fingernail standards and grooming policies
a. Hair.
(1) General. The requirement for hair grooming standards is necessary to maintain uniformity within a military
population. Many hairstyles are acceptable, as long as they are neat and conservative. It is not possible to address every acceptable hairstyle, or what constitutes eccentric or conservative grooming. Therefore, it is the responsibility of leaders at all levels to exercise good judgment in the enforcement of Army policy. All soldiers will comply with the hair, fingernail, and grooming policies while in any military uniform or while in civilian clothes on duty.
    (a) Leaders will judge the appropriateness of a particular hairstyle by the appearance of headgear when worn. Soldiers will wear headgear as described in the applicable chapters of this regulation. Headgear will fit snugly and comfortably, without distortion or excessive gaps. Hairstyles that do not allow soldiers to wear the headgear properly, or that interfere with the proper wear of the protective mask or other protective equipment, are prohibited.
    (b) Extreme, eccentric, or trendy haircuts or hairstyles are not authorized. If soldiers use dyes, tints, or bleaches, they must choose those that result in natural hair colors. Colors that detract from a professional military appearance are prohibited. Therefore, soldiers should avoid using colors that result in an extreme appearance. Applied hair colors that are prohibited include, but are not limited to, purple, blue, pink, green, orange, bright (fire-engine) red, and fluorescent or neon colors. It is the responsibility of leaders to use good judgment in determining if applied colors are acceptable, based upon the overall effect on soldiers’ appearance.
    (c) Soldiers who have a texture of hair that does not part naturally may cut a part into the hair. The part will be one straight line, not slanted or curved, and will fall in the area where the soldier would normally part the hair. Soldiers will not cut designs into their hair or scalp.
    (2) Male haircuts will conform to the following standards.
    (a) The hair on top of the head must be neatly groomed. The length and bulk of the hair may not be excessive or present a ragged, unkempt, or extreme appearance. The hair must present a tapered appearance. A tapered appearance is one where the outline of the soldier’s hair conforms to the shape of the head, curving inward to the natural termination point at the base of the neck. When the hair is combed, it will not fall over the ears or eyebrows, or touch the collar, except for the closely cut hair at the back of the neck. The block-cut fullness in the back is permitted to a moderate degree, as long as the tapered look is maintained. In all cases, the bulk or length of hair may not interfere with the normal wear of headgear (see para 1–8a(1)(a), above) or protective masks or equipment. Males are not authorized to wear braids, cornrows, or dreadlocks (unkempt, twisted, matted, individual parts of hair) while in uniform or in civilian clothes on duty. Hair that is clipped closely or shaved to the scalp is authorized.
    (b) Males will keep sideburns neatly trimmed. Sideburns may not be flared; the base of the sideburn will be a cleanshaven, horizontal line. Sideburns will not extend below the lowest part of the exterior ear opening.
    (c) Males will keep their face clean-shaven when in uniform or in civilian clothes on duty. Mustaches are permitted; if worn, males will keep mustaches neatly trimmed, tapered, and tidy. Mustaches will not present a chopped off or bushy appearance, and no portion of the mustache will cover the upper lip line or extend sideways beyond a vertical line drawn upward from the corners of the mouth (see figure 1–1). Handlebar mustaches, goatees, and beards are not authorized. If appropriate medical authority prescribes beard growth, the length required for medical treatment must be specified. For example, “The length of the beard will not exceed 1⁄4 inch” (see TB MED 287). Soldiers will keep the growth trimmed to the level specified by appropriate medical authority, but they are not authorized to shape the growth into goatees, or “Fu Manchu” or handlebar mustaches.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:16:20 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had a discussion with someone regarding military hairstyles and what is considered "extreme" or unusual.

Obviously one can't have a tye-dyed-punk-rocker-multi-colored-shellacked-rooster-crown, but a "high and tight" mohawk style could be passable.

The other end of the spectrum (as I understood it), was that "bic-ing" it (shaving your head bald), was also considered "extreme".

If you do (have hair), you have to maintain it according to current regs, but you cannot shave it off completely.
Am I correct on this?

Do you mean with a razor or clippers?  Plenty of guys shave their heads completely with clippers, especially when deployed.  Less maintenance, more hygenic.  Razor, not so common.  Too much work, risk of cuts and nicks.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:17:40 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Army - AR670-1 Wear and Appearance of Army Uniforms

1–8. Hair and fingernail standards and grooming policies
a. Hair.
(1) General. The requirement for hair grooming standards is necessary to maintain uniformity within a military
population. Many hairstyles are acceptable, as long as they are neat and conservative. It is not possible to address every acceptable hairstyle, or what constitutes eccentric or conservative grooming. Therefore, it is the responsibility of leaders at all levels to exercise good judgment in the enforcement of Army policy. All soldiers will comply with the hair, fingernail, and grooming policies while in any military uniform or while in civilian clothes on duty.
    (a) Leaders will judge the appropriateness of a particular hairstyle by the appearance of headgear when worn. Soldiers will wear headgear as described in the applicable chapters of this regulation. Headgear will fit snugly and comfortably, without distortion or excessive gaps. Hairstyles that do not allow soldiers to wear the headgear properly, or that interfere with the proper wear of the protective mask or other protective equipment, are prohibited.
    (b) Extreme, eccentric, or trendy haircuts or hairstyles are not authorized. If soldiers use dyes, tints, or bleaches, they must choose those that result in natural hair colors. Colors that detract from a professional military appearance are prohibited. Therefore, soldiers should avoid using colors that result in an extreme appearance. Applied hair colors that are prohibited include, but are not limited to, purple, blue, pink, green, orange, bright (fire-engine) red, and fluorescent or neon colors. It is the responsibility of leaders to use good judgment in determining if applied colors are acceptable, based upon the overall effect on soldiers’ appearance.
    (c) Soldiers who have a texture of hair that does not part naturally may cut a part into the hair. The part will be one straight line, not slanted or curved, and will fall in the area where the soldier would normally part the hair. Soldiers will not cut designs into their hair or scalp.
    (2) Male haircuts will conform to the following standards.
    (a) The hair on top of the head must be neatly groomed. The length and bulk of the hair may not be excessive or present a ragged, unkempt, or extreme appearance. The hair must present a tapered appearance. A tapered appearance is one where the outline of the soldier’s hair conforms to the shape of the head, curving inward to the natural termination point at the base of the neck. When the hair is combed, it will not fall over the ears or eyebrows, or touch the collar, except for the closely cut hair at the back of the neck. The block-cut fullness in the back is permitted to a moderate degree, as long as the tapered look is maintained. In all cases, the bulk or length of hair may not interfere with the normal wear of headgear (see para 1–8a(1)(a), above) or protective masks or equipment. Males are not authorized to wear braids, cornrows, or dreadlocks (unkempt, twisted, matted, individual parts of hair) while in uniform or in civilian clothes on duty. Hair that is clipped closely or shaved to the scalp is authorized.
    (b) Males will keep sideburns neatly trimmed. Sideburns may not be flared; the base of the sideburn will be a cleanshaven, horizontal line. Sideburns will not extend below the lowest part of the exterior ear opening.
    (c) Males will keep their face clean-shaven when in uniform or in civilian clothes on duty. Mustaches are permitted; if worn, males will keep mustaches neatly trimmed, tapered, and tidy. Mustaches will not present a chopped off or bushy appearance, and no portion of the mustache will cover the upper lip line or extend sideways beyond a vertical line drawn upward from the corners of the mouth (see figure 1–1). Handlebar mustaches, goatees, and beards are not authorized. If appropriate medical authority prescribes beard growth, the length required for medical treatment must be specified. For example, “The length of the beard will not exceed 1⁄4 inch” (see TB MED 287). Soldiers will keep the growth trimmed to the level specified by appropriate medical authority, but they are not authorized to shape the growth into goatees, or “Fu Manchu” or handlebar mustaches.

Dammit!  No Fu Manchus!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:43:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Everyone I know is either HIGH AND TIGHT, or BALD.  I go HIGH AND TIGHT.
Sides skin tight , length on top about 1 CM.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:52:14 PM EDT
[#25]
a medic will pesribe you to grow a beard?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:54:19 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

yes, if your suffer from bad razor burn and those little bumps that result from it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:02:16 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm in the Air Force but that's funny

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:02:43 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes, if your suffer from bad razor burn and those little bumps that result from it.

Mainly African-American guys get "Shave chits" and that allows them t  grow a beard because shaving really screws up their skin.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:04:17 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Am I correct on this?

The latest USAF uniform board results allow men to shave their heads.

31.  ALLOW MALES TO CLEANLY SHAVE THEIR HEADS OR HAVE MILITARY HIGH-AND-TIGHT HAIRCUTS

www.afpc.randolph.af.mil/dress/Appearance/Main%20Uniform%20Folder/96TH%20AIR%20FORCE%20UNIFORM%20BOARD%20RESULTS.doc
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:51:54 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Funny, when I was at Ft Huachuca a while back, I remember the AF Det OIC complaining to the Marine Det OIC about all his pregnant Airwomen and wanting the Major to keep the Marines out of his barracks.  As I remember, the Major replied with something to the effect of the AF Det OIC keeping his Airwhores off his Marines.

That's because they don't get any play from us anymore.  We get tired of them and move on to the local girls.  AF girls know that they can go to the Marines and find some non-pussy gettin' Mo-Fo's that have been in the field for a while and willing to stick their dicks in anything with a hole between it's legs.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:56:56 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's because they don't get any play from us anymore.  We get tired of them and move on to the local girls.  AF girls know that they can go to the Marines and find some non-pussy gettin' Mo-Fo's that have been in the field for a while and willing to stick their dicks in anything with a hole between it's legs.

Who goes to the field at Morse Code school?  And you've obviously not been to Sierra Vista.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:01:36 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And the girls are glad to find the Marines get to the unused part, IE deep'er than 2 inches.

Believe me, there is no unused parts with those girls...the cleanest hole is probably the butt.  And if they can't get more than two inches they are more than willing to find the nearest Lousiana Black Snake and give him a turn before they go to the Marines.  That's thing about most white AF girls, they have to hook up with a brother just to see if the myth is true...

Shag at your own risk, because you can be sure we have already.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:16:50 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who goes to the field at Morse Code school?  And you've obviously not been to Sierra Vista.  

Nope, the only Marine/AF experiences I have had was on Kadena, Okinawa and in PSAB.  One AF Base surrounded by 12 Marine Camps, I know of so many AF girls that slutted their way around through tech school, then throught dorms, then out the gate.  I know girls that had 10-12 boyfriends in the dorms then they started getting ignored and moved on to guys they were meeting out Gate 2.  Either Marines or AF dudes from other parts of the base.  But you can always tell who the Marines are, shirts tucked in, with a buddy or in a pack, walking because if they are E-5 or below they can't have a car and usually trying to get in a fight with AF dudes.  Then if the Navy comes in the usually fuck up the Marines or anyone else who they don't like at the moment.  Or the SF guys and they just don't get messed with period.

PSAB, well there are just more AF dudes there anyway, and a few Marines, they usually have their own manish looking GI Jane skanks and are happy with them, so it was a non-issue there.

Oh yeah, and Cold Lake, Canada.  Where all the Marines I saw were willing to chase the nasty Black-Foot Squaws back to the reservation and have to fight off their brothers and cousins.  Instead of going to Edmonton where the real party was.  Their commander wouldn't let them leave the area and they didn't have any rental vans like we did.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:42:23 PM EDT
[#34]
What about these guys????

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:00:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Relaxed Grooming Standards.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:41:43 PM EDT
[#36]

Hell, I hate the AF guys that won't get a haircut!  If you want to be a civilian, be a civilian; the AF has a hard enough time trying to convince the rest of the services that we are "military."

Given the chance, I'd make AFI 36-2903 a Hell of a lot more strict.  

They recently (past couple of years) had to add guidance on piercing, brands, etc.  I didn't think there were that many fags in the AF with pierced ears, tongues, nipples, or taints!  

I say help 'em out!  Out the fucking door!

B_S
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:44:28 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:49:05 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Am I correct on this?

The latest USAF uniform board results allow men to shave their heads.

31.  ALLOW MALES TO CLEANLY SHAVE THEIR HEADS OR HAVE MILITARY HIGH-AND-TIGHT HAIRCUTS

www.afpc.randolph.af.mil/dress/Appearance/Main%20Uniform%20Folder/96TH%20AIR%20FORCE%20UNIFORM%20BOARD%20RESULTS.doc

Yep you can shave your head in the AF. It's a big fad these days with the too lazy to get or maintain a deceant haircut crowd. Personally I think the shaved head style looks pretty unprofessional and silly on anyone but a Marine .
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:07:21 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mainly African-American guys get "Shave chits" and that allows them t  grow a beard because shaving really screws up their skin.

You'll get a shaving waiver.  But you still have to keep the 'beard' less than 1/4 inch.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top