Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2005 7:41:12 PM EDT
Baretta makes one, and I understand that Tarus does, too.

What are the model #s.

I got a 1911a1, but I think I might want to shoot service pistol and a 9 might be alright to have.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:41:43 PM EDT
[#1]
92fs or 92f
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:42:07 PM EDT
[#2]
92fs
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:43:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
92fs

Is that the same for baretta AND tarus?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:45:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
92fs

Is that the same for baretta AND tarus?

Taura looks like one  but the safety is retarded. PT99 I think.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:46:00 PM EDT
[#5]
No i'll get a link to each

Beretta 92FS

Taurus 92B
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:48:06 PM EDT
[#6]
The thing I want to know is this: are both CMP legal?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:51:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Unless something has changed recently, you can buy the M-9 from Beretta.

The differences are:
The M-9 has an aluminum guid rod instead of plastic.
The M-9 barrel and chamber is chromed.
The M-9 military parkerized finish is a bit less attractive but more sturdy and the standard black anodized finish.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:51:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Are you drunk?

Taurus sucks, and is not the same as an M9; the Beretta is.  I think I just got sucked into a troll post.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:52:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I have always liked the safety on the Taurus PT-92 better than the Beretta. You have the options of safe (cocked and locked) or you can decock it while staying on fire. Plus the Taurus is about $200 less and just as reliable.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:54:26 PM EDT
[#10]
FWIW we rented both at the range and we went through 5 Taurus in one year.

the Beretta did go back to the factory twice, but it came back fine.

I do not think any human is capable of inflicting that much abuse ona  firearm as a personally owned weapon so both will probably be fine.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:59:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you drunk?

Taurus sucks, and is not the same as an M9; the Beretta is.  I think I just got sucked into a troll post.

Not really a troll post. I'm somewhat ignorant about 9mm service handguns. In the service, it was 1911s, and I've been shooting service RIFLE for years. I have a 1911, but truth is, I don't know squat about the M9.

I just heard that the Tarus and Baretta are pretty much the same and wanted to know if both were CMP legal.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:01:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Get a P226 and fuh-ged-aboud-it
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:02:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you drunk?

Not really a troll post. I'm somewhat ignorant about 9mm service handguns. In the service, it was 1911s, and I've been shooting service RIFLE for years. I have a 1911, but truth is, I don't know squat about the M9.

I just heard that the Tarus and Baretta are pretty much the same and wanted to know if both were CMP legal.

I wouldn't count on any "modern" firearms ever being available through CMP.  HAndguns are already off-limits to the CMP anyway.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:04:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I have always liked the safety on the Taurus PT-92 better than the Beretta. You have the options of safe (cocked and locked) or you can decock it while staying on fire. Plus the Taurus is about $200 less and just as reliable.

+1  Myself being left handed I find the "Original" Beretta safty offered on the Taurus allot more egro than that nasty safty mounted on the slide on a M9  CDNN had some Italian Berettas with the frame safty at one time...wish I would have bought one then  I like my Taurus very much.  

Would'nt buy a Beretta j/k
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:35:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

If you mean EIC " Leg Match " legal they are.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:37:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

The PT92/99 is made on Beretta machinery, so it should be almost identical to the Beretta 92FS.  I believe the frame-mounted safety lever on the Taurus PT92 operates the same as a 1911, so for all of you 1911 fanciers.............
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:38:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I prefer the 92G where the safety is a decocker.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:40:56 PM EDT
[#18]
I have only heard good things about the Taurus clone of the Beretta 92.  Its Taurus's home grown pistols than up to a few years ago didn't have a good rep.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:49:46 PM EDT
[#19]
I got me one-a-these:

Beretta took a number of these right off the assembly line in 2000 or so, pre 9-11 at any rate.
I've heard that there was excess production for a contract and Beretta decided to just sell them on the civilian market.
I've compared mine to the ones the local Navy security guys have and the only difference is the serial number, which is a special one unique to this run.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:49:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Wow Taurus really did make a 1911.  Did not know that.  LINK  I guess they are coming out soon.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:55:34 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

The differences are:
The M-9 military parkerized finish is a bit less attractive but more sturdy and the standard black anodized finish.

The finish on every M9 I was ever issued or used appeared to be exactly the same as the finish on every 92FS I have ever looked at or fondled at a gunstore or range.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:00:49 PM EDT
[#22]
You can shoot anything at the CMP you want. They only look close at your gun if you win. So go for what you like. I have a Beretta and Taurus both, I like the safety on the Taurus better but am comfortable with both.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:06:48 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wouldn't count on any "modern" firearms ever being available through CMP.  HAndguns are already off-limits to the CMP anyway.

He wants to know if he can use an M9 type pistol in CMP service pistol matches.  The answer, as stated above, is YES.
However, a Taurus PT might not pass at a 'formal' match if the match director is being strict about it.  Most will let it go.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:47:48 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you drunk?

Pic is FAR from a troll    Take it easy there.....   Guy just doesn't know something, so he asked a question.

Troll Trigger might need an adjustment Add a pound or so, so ya don't get premature E-troll-ulations

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:40:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Yeh Pic is one of the most honest and upstanding guys around here.  He would never  try to fool anybody.  Why I've heard that he even helps with the service animals down at the Home Depot.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:52:01 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

The differences are:

Differences between what? My 92fs has an aluminum guide rod and chrome chamber. Don't know about the finish though. I've had it for about 5 years now.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:43:17 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you drunk?

Pic is FAR from a troll    Take it easy there.....   Guy just doesn't know something, so he asked a question.

Troll Trigger might need an adjustment Add a pound or so, so ya don't get premature E-troll-ulations

Knowing Pic's usually sacrastic and natural comedic antics, I assumed he was joking.....and trolling for ammusement.  I know he is not a troll, but the question seemed leaning in that direction.  Sorry Piccolo, I honestly thought you might be posting while under the influence.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:49:56 AM EDT
[#28]
No. I just wanted to learn a little more.

Actually I've shot BOTH, but it was YEARS ago and I seem to have forgotten which was which. I KNOW Baretta had the .gov contract.

I KNOW the Tarus is close. I wanted to know if the Tarus is legal under Service pistol rules.

I shoot CMP rifle. Have for years.
Lately the club has started to hold an occassional pistol match afterward so i thought I might give it a whirl.

I'll probably stay with a .45, but was just trying to dig up some info if i decide to go the m-9 route.

FWIW, mst of the  guys still shoot 1911a1s, Gold Cups, etc
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:25:29 PM EDT
[#29]
For me, my Beretta 92fs is one of the most accurate high power pistols that I own.  It currently has the CT laser grips for fun, and I use it primarily as my house gun.

I have had several students start out with a .22 and go right to the Beretta, and love it.  It has mild recoil, and is extremely accurate.  It has never ever FTF.   My only complaint is the size.  I CCW'd it for a while, and it is concealable for me(6'3" 190) with out too much trouble, but it is wider than my 1911.

The slide mounted safety has not bothered me since I started carrying it round in the chamber, hammer down; first shot double action.   I use it as a decocker only.  It works, and works well.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top