Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/24/2005 8:30:25 PM EDT
I've noticed that the american flags on the shoulders of military uniforms are always backwards. Why is that?

Thanks,
Kris
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:31:09 PM EDT
[#1]
the flag doesn't retreat.  Looks like its always going foward.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:31:22 PM EDT
[#2]
[Gunny] You need to watch more mail call maggot![/gunny]
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:38:14 PM EDT
[#3]
CHAAAARGE MUTHAAAFUUUUCKAAAAA!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:39:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:51:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've noticed that the american flags on the right shoulders of military uniforms are always backwards. Why is that?

Thanks,
Kris

As posted above the flag must be displayed in a fashion that indicates forward movement, you also see this on many aircraft.  BTW the left shoulder flag is "correct".
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:52:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It's not backward.  It's moving forward, hooah?  

HOOAH SIR!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:06:27 PM EDT
[#7]
The star field always goes close to the heart of the person wearing the uniform.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:06:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Its a flight in the wind as they march on.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:09:34 PM EDT
[#9]
It shows the flag in forward movement.  If you were to reverse it on the right shoulder the Stars would be toward the rear, indicating rearward movement.  And we dont retreat to the rear always forward.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:42:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I think they just had a large manufacturing defect, and instead of making new ones, just decided "Lads! I know! Put them on your right shoulder instead of your left! Then we can say it's going forward!"

Ripping them off/resewing them after you get a combat patch is a bloody pain. Should have just gone with 'normal' on the left.

NTM
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:35:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Should have just gone with 'normal' on the left.

NTM

How is it that the other way is "normal" or correct?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:48:21 PM EDT
[#12]
It's the direction of travel.  Imagine the flag on a pole, and a soldier carring it into battle.  From one side, you'd see it with the field of starts in the top left, from the other, you'd be seeing it with the field in the top right.  If the patch were on the left shoulder, it would look 'normal', but since it's on the left, the field faces forward.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:50:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I've noticed that the american flags on the shoulders of military uniforms are always backwards. Why is that?

Thanks,
Kris

I think it has something to do with the fact that the flag never retreats.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:59:59 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I think they just had a large manufacturing defect, and instead of making new ones, just decided "Lads! I know! Put them on your right shoulder instead of your left! Then we can say it's going forward!"

Ripping them off/resewing them after you get a combat patch is a bloody pain. Should have just gone with 'normal' on the left.

NTM

I think that this issue, no matter how inconvenient to you, is worthy of the extra effort to present the proper uniform and statement.

If it takes a little bit longer because a person wasn' t considering their military bearing when they sewed on the wrong patch, well... that just an educational experience.  So enjoy

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:52:37 PM EDT
[#15]
I AM SURPRISED FEW PEOPLE HAVE THIS RIGHT. STARS AND STRIPS GO TOWARDS THE HEART, NOTHING TO DO WITH GOING FORWARD. EVERYTHING TO DO WITH THGE SOLDIERS COMMITMENT AND LOVE FOR THE COUNTRY AND, THE SOILDERS DUTY TO THE COUNTRY ABOVE ALL OTHER THINGS.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 12:00:21 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I AM SURPRISED FEW PEOPLE HAVE THIS RIGHT. STARS AND STRIPS GO TOWARDS THE HEART, NOTHING TO DO WITH GOING FORWARD. EVERYTHING TO DO WITH THGE SOLDIERS COMMITMENT AND LOVE FOR THE COUNTRY AND, THE SOILDERS DUTY TO THE COUNTRY ABOVE ALL OTHER THINGS.

These citations would lead us to believe that a flag decal or painting on a vehicle or a flag patch should always have the union of the flag to the viewer's left.  This works well when looking at the left side of the vehicle or person.   When looking at the right side however, if the union is to the viewer's left, it appears as though the flag is flying backwards when the vehicle or person is in motion.   It would also place the flag in a position of being in retreat as the vehicle or person moves forward.

To alleviate this problem, the International Civil Aviation organization decreed that flags painted on aircraft must face the direction of the flight, so as to be aerodynamically and aesthetically correct.  We also recommend that  flags or flag decals on vehicles and flag patches on uniforms should be so oriented.

Link
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:10:57 AM EDT
[#17]
THE TRADITION WAS ESTABLISHED BEFORE THAT WAS WRITTEN.  EVERY SOLDIER IS TAUGHT WHAT I AM SAYING IN BASIC TRAINING. IT IS ALSO A BOARD QEUSTION.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:40:50 AM EDT
[#18]
    I'm glad this came up. Are soldiers/military the only ones authorized to wear the flag like that ?

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:46:34 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
THE TRADITION WAS ESTABLISHED BEFORE THAT WAS WRITTEN.  EVERY SOLDIER IS TAUGHT WHAT I AM SAYING IN BASIC TRAINING. IT IS ALSO A BOARD QEUSTION.

Stop yelling.  You are not a Drill and this is not BCT.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:52:13 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

NTM

Hence, the ACU's fasination with velcro.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:54:07 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

They never told me that in BCT..
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:55:53 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I never heard that in Basic, and have seen numerous sources written that say it is oriented to show forward motion.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:09:17 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same here,  At OSUT at Ft. Benning it was always "the flag does not retreat".
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:11:06 AM EDT
[#24]
and I just asked a buddy who just did his E5 board a couple months ago, and he said that the always moving forward was the right answer.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:32:47 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Hence, the ACU's misguided fasination with velcro.

Fixed.

NTM
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:45:49 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hence, the ACU's misguided fasination with velcro.

Fixed.

NTM

Amen sir.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:52:39 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They never said one word about 2.5years ago at Benning.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:39:03 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

never mentioned it in 1984 either.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:41:47 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The flag wasn't routinely worm on BDUs til a  year or two back. Of course it wouldn't have been brought up in basic at those points in time. We also didn't cover a lot of AR 670-1 issues in basic because you were  slick collared private whose job was to learn basic soldiering skills and they only had 8 weeks to do it in.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:45:57 AM EDT
[#30]
I was at Edwards AFB, Palmdale Calif for an air show 3 years ago and all of the flags on the military plans are on the right-side and "reversed"(aka backwards).
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:23:44 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The flag wasn't routinely worm on BDUs til a  year or two back. Of course it wouldn't have been brought up in basic at those points in time. We also didn't cover a lot of AR 670-1 issues in basic because you were  slick collared private whose job was to learn basic soldiering skills and they only had 8 weeks to do it in.

True, but the Blue Book covers flag custom.  never tested on it, but it was there for the reading. I still have my Blue Book and it lightly touches on flag display. "Blue on the observers left while facing the flag".

Nothing in there about "going towards the heart.......commitment and love for the country" But I would suspect that it has a lot to do with being oriented in the direction of travel.

Of course this Blue Book was printed in 1984... lots of change since then and I suffer from CRS quite heavely these days.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:38:30 AM EDT
[#32]
This from the US Army Study Guide for NCO Promotion Boards:

Why is the flag worn on the right shoulder of the Utility Uniforms?
The flag is worn on the right shoulder to give the effect of the flag flying in the breeze as the wearer moves forward.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:38:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Look at the flags on the tail of AirForce One. Flag always should be shown with stars forward on man or vehicle. Even the police cars were displaying the flag like that when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:55:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:35:43 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
The star field always goes close to the heart of the person wearing the uniform.

A minor WTF on this one??  I suppose you have something other than a anecdote that supports this?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:37:13 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

You get a major WTF on this one?  BTW hasn't anybody ever informed you that all caps is considered bad form?  You need to be pickier on what you fall for.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:21:20 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
    I'm glad this came up. Are soldiers/military the only ones authorized to wear the flag like that ?

authorized?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:37:11 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I've seen it on LE, FD, and EMS uniforms as well... even a few private / commercial uniforms if the guys were prior service or somehow knew about flag etiquette...
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:42:50 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:47:19 PM EDT
[#40]
That link w/ flag etiquet is interesting.... especially the section on furniature.

After 9/11, w/ all the flag stuff coming out, I ended up getting a folding chair w/ the flag on it..... looks like that is a no-no....
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:51:57 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

NTM

Well, now you just re-velcro
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:53:52 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

We were actually taught the 'Flag moving forward' explanation, when I went thru...

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:23:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Yeah, it's the flag moving foreward.

Also, the reason it's worn on the right, instead of on the left (where it would be "correct"): Because the flag is always displayed to the left of the dislpay, from the point of view of the audience.  For instance, in speeches and such, or when flown with other flags, the US flag is to the left as you view it, or to the right-most from the flag's perspective.  Likewise, on a soldier, the flag is displayed on the far right from the flag's perspective, or to the far left from the viewer's perspective.

And yes, the board question, and the etiquette answer, is that it's the flag moving foreward, the blue field always to the front of the flag as it moves.

This "closest to the heart" thing is utter BS.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:24:59 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NTM

Well, now you just re-velcro

Actually, the flag stays above the unit patch on the ACU, so you don't have to move it at all.  There was actually a debate about this when the flags went Army-wide, as some people weren't willing to remove the flag and put it subordinate to their unit patch.  The decision was to keep it the way it is for the BDU, and to keep the flag in the superior position for the ACU.  Personally, I think it should always have stayed in the superior position.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:46:28 AM EDT
[#45]
When watching a color guard in a parade from the right side, where are the stars...this is a no brainer.

And yes this close to the heart is BS. Only matters on a flag draped casket, left side closes to the heart.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top