Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2005 3:44:44 PM EDT
I am shipping to boot camp this summer and when I reach my final duty station i'd like to bring all of my guns with me.  What are the gun laws/restrictions like for active duty Marines?  I heard that you're not allowed to have a CWL and you must always keep your guns in the armory on base or something to that effect and there were a whole lot of other restrictions as well, but have been able to find very little information online.

If any Marines on here have experience with this, i'd love to hear your input.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:30:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I was an active duty Marine from 1964 through 1986. All personal firearms on base were kept in the base armory. Married and bachelor personnel who lived off base were allowed to keep their personal firearms at their place of residence. I would imagine that the rules are still the same. the Marine Corps is very slow to change policies. Charles CWO-3 USMC (ret).  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:48:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I was an active duty Marine from 1964 through 1986. All personal firearms on base were kept in the base armory. Married and bachelor personnel who lived off base were allowed to keep their personal firearms at their place of residence. I would imagine that the rules are still the same. the Marine Corps is very slow to change policies. Charles CWO-3 USMC (ret).  hug.gif

Same rules apply now. When bringing guns onto base they must be going directly to the armory, or the shooting range, and you have to notify the gate guard. I would reccomend finding a friend you can trust to keep them off base for you. I have heard several stories of guns going missing and loosing parts in the base armories.

The only CWL allowed on base are those carried by on duty local PD, FBI etc... and those issued by the base commander. The only way you will get one from the commander is if they have reason to believe you are in immediate danger and even then you probably won't get one.

Once you move into the barraks and live there for awhile you will understand why guns are not allowed.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:30:04 PM EDT
[#3]
leave your guns at home devil pup, its more trouble than its worth, TRUST ME. when you want to use one no one will ever be available to get them out for you. too busy or theyll treat you like youre a hassle to them, or ask you to come back in 20min. total pain in the ass. wait till you can move off base and then go home and get your guns. and while im handing out advice, heres some you didnt ask for:

DO NOT get married in your first enlistment. just because your highschool girlfriend used to blow you in her parents driveway does not mean that either of you know what love means. she wont wait, and you will get plenty of box as a young single Marine. TRUST ME. you dont need to be worrying about what shes doing while youre away. focus on you.

DO NOT go to church in bootcamp. people will try to sell you on the idea that its a nice break from training ...its not. in every platoon theres about 10 kids who dont go to church. know what they do? nothing. the DI goes in the "house" after saying something charming like "I BETTER NOT HEAR A FRIGGIN PEEP" and youre on your own for 2 hours. prep uniforms, catch up on personal hygiene, read and write letters home and just kind of sit and chill quietly. these moments of clarity and peace will give you an edge over the other recruits. because as soon as they get back its chow time, and after lunch its back to training. if you're religious use the time to commune with god privately while you polish boots, press uniforms, and write to mom.

DONT EVER STOP, if you cant mount an obstacle keep running at it and attacking it. you know if you cant get up the wall in 2 attempts you've worn yourself out and will never make it. but keep trying. they arent looking for someone who can easily scamper up the wall. theyre looking for someone who will die before they quit and by the fourth or fifth attempt they will yell something like "SKIP IT STUPID" and you go around. if you try twice and go around on youre own...youre in deep shit. this applies to all physical endeavors.

tell your momma, and your grandma and your girlfriend not to send you ANYTHING but words on paper. no cookies, no pictures, nothing. dont become a target. rise above the hoo-haa of mail call.

good luck, get a good MOS
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:27:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Devil dog is a man of much wisdom. The same applied for us a Army types in basic as well.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:29:04 PM EDT
[#5]
The wall comment is funny, I think I was the only a@@hole who couldnt get over the damn wall, but I kept going and kept trying even tho it was obvious after the 5th attempt there was no way I was getting over it.  Like said, they didnt give me any sh@t about it and a DI came over and gave me a boost, not another word was said.
Good luck, have fun and remember its all a mind game!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:45:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I suggest you get a storeage unit off base, and buy a gun locker to put in it. You'll need the storeage unit when you deployed to put all the stuff you can't take with you. Most off the storage units have video  cameras and you need a password to get on the property. Just don't tell anyone which storeage unit is yours. If you plan on buying handguns do it in your home state this way you don't need your C.O. permission. For rifles and shotguns you don't need a letter of authorization. Anyhow you'll be amazed on how many weapons you'll find in the barracks parking lot. Dont keep it in your POV as they might do a search it happened in my unit but there where so many black riffles that they couldn't dicipline everybody so we where told to take them off base. However don't count on it  it would be worth it to get the storeage unit this way you have access to your guns whenever you want.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:48:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Sucks for you guys, in the Army if you live in the on-post housing (not barracks) with your family your firearms stay at your home.  Only personnel in the barracks keep weapons in the arms room, all firearms must comply with local and state laws and be registered on post with the provost marshall.  I used to work on guns in my backyard on post, no problems whatsoever with the neighbors and my AKs.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:45:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
DONT EVER STOP, if you cant mount an obstacle keep running at it and attacking it. you know if you cant get up the wall in 2 attempts you've worn yourself out and will never make it. but keep trying. they arent looking for someone who can easily scamper up the wall. theyre looking for someone who will die before they quit and by the fourth or fifth attempt they will yell something like "SKIP IT STUPID" and you go around. if you try twice and go around on youre own...youre in deep shit. this applies to all physical endeavors.

No shit. I ran at that wall until I thought I was going to die. Finally it occured to me that if I got a good jump I could swing my legs and knock the DI off the top of the wall. It didn't work, but I got over and I never had trouble getting over it again. This seemed to be a pattern. No matter how hard something was, I could always do it easily after the first time.

No guns are allowed in the barracks, for good reason. It is not uncommon for Marines to accidently get stabbed or break bones during horseplay and such. People really get hurt during serious fights.

Putting your guns in the armory will ensure that you never get a chance to shoot them since armorers work the same hours you do and will invariably be impossible to track down when you want to get your guns out. Assuming you get the required permission to get your guns out.

Most bases have places nearby that will allow you to store guns for a small fee.

I kept my guns at a friend's place in base housing. I bought them off base and never said a word to anyone except him.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:48:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Keep them at someone's house, preferably your squad leader or platoon sergeant. They'll be less likely to tinker on them.

Make sure you get them registered on base, even if you don't plan to bring them on base. You never know if you might have to run on base to grab something from the barracks and if you have your guns in the car and get pulled over, they better be registered or you are going to have a BAD day.

Good luck in Boot. Remeber, REAl Marines come from San Diego!!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:28:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
 Remeber, REAl Marines come from San Diego!!

Sure they do.

Don't let him fool you. Those hills ain't shit.

Also, I forgot to mention in my original post one very important thing about putting your guns in the armory. Armorers like to take guns apart. Many do not care who they belong to. If you stick something cool in the armory they will fuck with it. If it is really cool they'll get their buddies to come over and fuck with it too.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:07:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure they do.

Also, I forgot to mention in my original post one very important thing about putting your guns in the armory. Armorers like to take guns apart. Many do not care who they belong to. If you stick something cool in the armory they will fuck with it. If it is really cool they'll get their buddies to come over and fuck with it too.

I'll trade you the grim reaper for your sand fleas any day and twice on sunday.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:10:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure they do.

I'll trade you the grim reaper for your sand fleas any day and twice on sunday.

Does it come with the view of civilization and the road trip to Camp Pendleton?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:15:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I let all my budiies leave them at my house. but leave them home while your in school. You can go home on leave when you reach your duty station, then make friends off base and leave them at their house, oyu can trust people you will work with! Welcome to the corps!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top