I hear a lot about Christian values and how important they are...but I don't really know what Christian values are. Can someone please outline them for me? Please go into more depth than the ten commandments.
Matthew 22:36-40 (New International Version)
36"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" 37Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'[a] 38This is the first and greatest commandment. 39And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' 40All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."
and also sacrefice, Jesus paid the ultimate sacrefice for us, we should likewise sacrefice of ourselves for our fellow man if given the chance.
there is many, many more things to learn from God, just as many things as there are people
Admited, we don't do the best job of living to that standard, but that is it completly.
It's about do's not don'ts
Eight core (Christian) values for a society to live by
Eight fundamental social values have been chose as particularly important.
* Grace – a subversive value! Giving people more than they deserve.
* Hope – not a guarantee of immunity from harm but a conviction that God is always present
* Faith - the means to real depth in relationships of all kinds
* Love – means to love the unlovely
* Justice – for all (not ‘just-me’). A concept biased in favour of the disadvantaged.
* Joy – impossible to legislate for this but an essential social value
* Service – meaning is found in service rather than self-centredness
* Peace– not just the absence of fighting but positive well-being
TOP TEN CHRISTIAN VALUES
"Christian Values" - from a non-Christian's point of view.
+1 to "love the Lord thy God with all your heart..." and "... love thy neighbor as thyself..."
10 commandments (common Christian interpretation) :
- Thou shall have no other gods before thee.
- Thou shalt not make before thee any graven image.
- Thou shalt not take the Lord's name in vain.
- Remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy.
- Honor thy father & mother.
- Thou shalt not kill (murder).
- Thou shalt not commit adultery.
- Thou shalt not steal.
- Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
- Thou shalt not covet.
(see Exodus 20:2-17 & Deuteronomy 5:7-21 for exact wording)
Other common Christian values:
Sex is not permitted outside of marriage.
Moderate drinking at most (avoid drunkenness).
Homosexuality is forbidden.
Divorce is rarely permitted. Allowed Biblically only in certain circumstances (infidelity or when unbeliever keeps believer from worship)
Help those in need.
Be kind to others.
Try to convert unbelivers.