Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/1/2005 10:03:52 AM EDT
1:45 scale?
1:50 scale?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:07:41 AM EDT
1:87 scale!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:17:54 AM EDT
So is a 1:45 smaller or bigger than a 1:87?

This is what I'm looking at buying... or something similar.

Click here
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:21:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/1/2005 10:21:44 AM EDT by SHIVAN]

Originally Posted By pathfinder74:

Click here

1:1 is life size.....

1:2 is 1/2 normal size.....

1:45 is bigger than 1:87....

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:31:31 AM EDT

Click here

May I ask why you are buying a school bus.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:00:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By bblake00:

Click here

I'm losing interest in guns and figured this would be a good outlet for the extra money I have laying around the house...

No, my son loves buses. I don't know what the fascination is with them but he does. It's fun when he has a toy he actually likes. Every other stupid toy people give him he plays with for a few minutes and then is back in the closest and drawers getting into things that aren't made for kids. I bought him a little Hotwheels school bus on Friday and he barely puts it down. So I thought I'd look at another one for him.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:06:20 AM EDT

Click here

Hey bblake, maybe pathfinder likes school buses! I do.

Pathfinder: to answer your orginal question, I just looked at my die-cast "matchbox" cars, and they are from 1:67 TO 1:80. Your buses aren't that scale, they are a little bigger than the "standard" matchbox type car.

Hope this helps.

ETA: IIRC as the scale # goes down the size of the car goes down.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:17:28 AM EDT

Click here

I'm losing interest in guns and figured this would be a good outlet for the extra money I have laying around the house...

No, my son loves buses. I don't know what the fascination is with them but he does. It's fun when he has a toy he actually likes. Every other stupid toy people give him he plays with for a few minutes and then is back in the closest and drawers getting into things that aren't made for kids. I bought him a little Hotwheels school bus on Friday and he barely puts it down. So I thought I'd look at another one for him.

I thought you might be getting them for a model town or some thing and needed an exact scale. You mmight want to check out the hobby store in Glen Burnie. It's in the same shopping center as K-Mart and the Pizza Hut, across form Glen Burnie Mall. The have a lot of cool shit. You might find something else besides buses for your self.

THey have quite abit of stuff there.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:18:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By deej86:

Click here

Hey bblake, maybe pathfinder likes school buses! I do.

I kinda figured it was something like that, so
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:24:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By deej86:
Pathfinder: to answer your orginal question, I just looked at my die-cast "matchbox" cars, and they are from 1:67 TO 1:80. Your buses aren't that scale, they are a little bigger than the "standard" matchbox type car.

Yeah I was wondering about that because the scale sizes listed on some of the items on eBay look like Matchbox "size" but the scale ratio wasn't the same...

How about this... kind of in reference to bblake's recommendation. The places he's referring to sells a lot of train hobby IIRC.

I'm looking on eBay at model trains and they seem to have a difference scale system:

HO
N
O
OO
S
Z

W­hat's all that mean in English?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:48:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/1/2005 11:55:27 AM EDT by ready-aim-fire]
Lots of model train info at www.modelrailroader.com, including this page describing scale and proportion to the real thing:

www.trains.com/Content/Dynamic/Articles/000/000/000/709htshz.asp

Z = 1:220
N = 1:160
HO = 1:87
S = 1:64
0 = 1:48
G = 1:22.5

OO is slightly larger than HO, but I don't remember the ratio. OO scale is not widely used in the US. There have been other scales over the years (TT, etc.) but the ones shown above are the most common now.

Think of proportion this way: an HO scale school bus would be 1/87th the size of a real one -- you'd have to line up 87 of the little models to equal the length of a real bus.

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:54:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ready-aim-fire:
Think of proportion this way: an HO scale school bus would be 1/87th the size or a real one -- you'd have to line up 87 of the little models to equal the length of a real bus.

So the scale ration is based on comparitive length? In other words, you couldn't stack 87 busses to eqal the height of a realy bus? It's only length, correct?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:58:04 AM EDT
It is 1/87th the size of the real thing in all dimensions -- height, length, width, tire diameter, window size, whatever. I just used length as an example.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:00:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ready-aim-fire:
Think of proportion this way: an HO scale school bus would be 1/87th the size or a real one -- you'd have to line up 87 of the little models to equal the length of a real bus.

So the scale ration is based on comparitive length? In other words, you couldn't stack 87 busses to eqal the height of a realy bus? It's only length, correct?

To be correct scale model it needs to be dimesionally identical to the original, but in scale.

For example:

Let's say a car is 100" Long x 55" Wide x 40" Tall in real life.

A 1:10 scale car would need to be 10"x5.5"x4" to be accurate 1:10 scale.

Or it would need to be 1.149"x0.632"x0.459" to be an accurate 1:87 scale.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:26:24 PM EDT

Click here

Shouldn't you get him this one?

Just like daddy used to ride.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:42:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By gunman0:

Click here

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:43:43 PM EDT
hot wheels and matchboxes are 1/43rd scale.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:49:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/1/2005 3:50:46 PM EDT by pathfinder74]

Damn... and to think I defended your "good" name here in the EE only a couple of weeks ago.
Short bus... mmmm hmmmm.... I got your number pal.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:47:47 AM EDT

Damn... and to think I defended your "good" name here in the EE only a couple of weeks ago.
Short bus... mmmm hmmmm.... I got your number pal.

Hehe, I'm sorry, but it was too easy. Thanks for defending my honor, I've done that a few times myself in the EE because I have a common username.

I'm surprised they make short bus models anyway. I figure their sole purpose is as gag gifts.

My friends and I were actually going to buy a school bus a few years ago. Our plan was to convert it with sofas and use it for long trips and hauling lots of stuff as a group. Three of use were going to split the cost of one we test drove, but we couldn't find a sucker to put it on their insurance for tags. We even offered to pay the insurance and we had a place to keep it parked lined up. But unfortunately we were all too intelligent, or too sober to take the insurance risk. It would've come in handy a few times now.
Top Top