Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 6/6/2008 7:02:29 AM EST
This story got me thinking about ammo choices for self-defense pistol ammo, while out in the woods, compared to standard rounds while at home/in the city. For instance, I carry an XD45 loaded with Federal HST +P 230gr. Knowing that my .45 is the only pistol I have right now to cover all situations, do you think that ammo is sufficient for a similar situation against a black bear? Or, given the size and bulk of a bear, would FMJ be better? What about staggering rounds between JHP and FMJ?

Let's hear opinions.

FWIW, we don't have grizzlies in Oregon so a black bear would likely be the largest animal to have to defend against (other than a sasquatch/monkee... but that's a whole 'nother thread).
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:12:31 AM EST
I don't why your combo wouldn't handle black bear. Hell you see guys at the mall that weigh more than most black bears.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:12:38 AM EST

Originally Posted By frogwater:
This story got me thinking about ammo choices for self-defense pistol ammo, while out in the woods, compared to standard rounds while at home/in the city. For instance, I carry an XD45 loaded with Federal HST +P 230gr. Knowing that my .45 is the only pistol I have right now to cover all situations, do you think that ammo is sufficient for a similar situation against a black bear? Or, given the size and bulk of a bear, would FMJ be better? What about staggering rounds between JHP and FMJ?

Let's hear opinions.

FWIW, we don't have grizzlies in Oregon so a black bear would likely be the largest animal to have to defend against (other than a sasquatch/monkee... but that's a whole 'nother thread).

I would stick with JHP's. I think a .45 would be adequate for almost all Wild Animals short of a Moose, Elk, etc. There was an article in a Glock Magazine I read a few months back where a guy killed a Black Bear that broke into his home with a .40 Glock 22. He emptied almost an entire magazine into the Bear, the article said, but it stopped the Bear cold.

I would not feel undergunned out in the woods with a Springfield XD45 with good JHP ammo and couple of spare Mags. If you can a small carbine in a good rifle caliber would be better though with the pistol as a backup. Something like a Marlin or Winchester lever action in the right caliber would be great for the backwoods if a Rifle is not a problem or too heavy.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:19:11 AM EST
+1 on the good JHP +P and spare mags
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:20:19 AM EST
It doesn't matter what you miss with.

With some of these beasts, anything other than a CNS hit = miss.

_MaH
Top Top