Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 11/19/2011 5:44:05 AM EDT
Not cologne. Aftershave.

I have found that when I do not use aftershave, the skin on my face goes to shit. It definitely helps me avoid razor burn and ingrown hairs...However, it sucks that Aftershave always smells cheap and does not mix well with good cologne.

All that said, I prefer Aqua Velva.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 5:44:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Just plain ol' water.  I don't particularly care to smell like some two bit pimp.

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 5:45:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you using a good shaving cream? What kind of razor?
Ever used a DE? When I made the switch it made all the difference in the world to my face.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 5:46:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Hoppe's but CLP works too.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 5:46:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Hoppes
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 5:46:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Clubman.

The king of men's aftershave:

Speed

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 5:46:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I just use a aftershave lotion by Neutrogena. I've been using the same small tube for like....8 years? Doesn't smell strong. Sometimes I just use regular lotion. If I don't my face gets mega dry
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 5:47:39 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Ever used a DE? When I made the switch it made all the difference in the world to my face.

I usually use Nivea shaving cream with a Mach 5 Fusion razor. I have tried everything from soap, shave oil, women's shaving cream, new/different blades, etc...none of them have had quite the benefit that a four dollar bottle of foul smelling aftershave has had.

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 5:48:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 5:49:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Clubman.

http://www.fendrihan.com/images/clubman_pinaud_aftershave.jpg
Speed  

How bad does it smell? Is it alcohol based? I love being in pain after a shave.

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 5:50:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I usually use Nivea shaving cream with a Mach 5 Fusion razor. I have tried everything from soap, shave oil, women's shaving cream, new/different blades, etc...none of them have had quite the benefit that a four dollar bottle of foul smelling aftershave has had.

Have you tried wet shaving w/ an old school double edge blade is what he was asking.

I use Taylors shaving cream and soap and a 60's Gilette superspeed w/ Feather blades; I only use aftershave for the scent.
Speed

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 5:51:45 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Clubman.

Speed  

Have you ever been to an old school barber shop? The kind where they use a straight razor around your ears and on your neck, have a pole, Penthouse available for reading, and you can still smoke inside?
They all use Clubman. It smells like old, rich, white guy.

Really, it's a very powdered smell.
Speed

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 5:52:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have you tried wet shaving w/ an old school double edge blade is what he was asking.
I use Taylors shaving cream and soap and a 60's Gilette superspeed w/ Feather blades; I only use aftershave for the scent.

Speed

Yes, sorry OP, I wasn't clear.
I like a double edge razor and feather blades too. They helped my face more than anything else I have tried.
I don't use a soap, but a good quality cream. http://www.cremocream.com/ works well for me and doesn't break the bank.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 5:53:36 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Speed

Thinking about going the straight-razor route for awhile...just haven't gotten along to doing it.

You and I differ on our reasons for using aftershave. I do it for the skin enhancing properties not for the scent. I have my medicine cabinet in my bathroom (My wife and I have our own bathrooms) filled with nice cologne.

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 5:54:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Clubman.

Speed  

Have you ever been to an old school barber shop? The kind where they use a straight razor around your ears and on your neck, have a pole, Penthouse available for reading, and you can still smoke inside?

Speed

I'm in. Where do I get it?
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 5:55:57 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Speed

Thinking about going the straight-razor route for awhile...just haven't gotten along to doing it.

You and I differ on our reasons for using aftershave. I do it for the skin enhancing properties not for the scent. I have my medicine cabinet in my bathroom (My wife and I have our own bathrooms) filled with nice cologne.

Ya everybody is different as far as their skin goes. I can't use just shaving soap or an electric razor as it dries me out, but using cream or a mixture of cream and soap (superlather), and I don't need anything on my face save some cool water to close up the pores when I'm done.

Speed

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 5:57:05 AM EDT
[#16]
My wife likes Old Spice on me.  

Aside from that, I don't give two shits about how I smell.

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 5:57:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Peggy say, after shave I finished.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 5:58:05 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Clubman.

Speed  

Speed

I'm in. Where do I get it?
Any drug store has it; walmart used to sell it but they seemed to have stopped.

I buy mine at my local CVS.

Speed

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 6:03:45 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Speed

I like a double edge razor and feather blades too. They helped my face more than anything else I have tried.

I don't use a soap, but a good quality cream. http://www.cremocream.com/ works well for me and doesn't break the bank.

Would you believe that a jar of Taylors lasts me a full year

That's 2 passes, sometimes 3, every morning w/o fail...365 days. (some days I do mix it w/ a little soap)

I tried a bunch of creams when I first got into it, but the expensive stuff really does seem to last longer...
Speed

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 6:44:14 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Speed

That's 2 passes, sometimes 3, every morning w/o fail...365 days. (some days I do mix it w/ a little soap)

I tried a bunch of creams when I first got into it, but the expensive stuff really does seem to last longer...
Speed

You shave on the weekends?

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 6:50:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Speed

Cremo is awesome and I have gotten the wife hooked on it for shaving.  

Personally, I couldn't live with out a tube a Porasso/C.O. Bigalow.  If you haven't tried it go to your local Bath and Body Works and get a tube.  Often you will be able to buy two and get the third free.  Awesome stuff.  

If you have a good brush do not overlook a European Palmolive Shave Stick or even Arko.  These are both dirt cheap and lather great.  

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 6:58:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Lab Series razor burn relief ultra.
no burn, no smell
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 7:01:48 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Speed

Speed

You shave on the weekends?

I have to. My beard grows quick as hell.

Speed

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 7:05:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Isopropyl alcohol
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 7:09:29 AM EDT
[#25]
liquid proraso
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 7:10:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Isopropyl alcohol

A big +1

http://www.drogi.ch/shop/contents/media/sterilium_bode_desinfektionsmittel_100ml.jpg

Awesome aftershave
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 7:10:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Art of Shaving lavender

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 7:16:14 AM EDT
[#28]
I use Aqua Velva.  It's what my dad used when I was a kid and I like that it's just a liquid––can't do the cream types like Nivea, etc.  I do hate that it's blue though. Where can you find that clear Adidas aftershave posted above?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 7:18:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Usually nothing, sometimes hand creme.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 7:19:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Olde Old Spice old kinda old fart here.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 7:23:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Jean Paul Gaultier aftershave. Smells good, and makes my skins smooth.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 7:24:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Shave?
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 7:46:25 AM EDT
[#33]
My dad has always preferred aquavelva, personally, I've never used the stuff. Been using an electric for about 15 years (pretty much as long as I've needed to shave). Aside from stinging my face and smelling good (sometimes!!), I could never tell it helped me in any way.

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 7:55:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Cold water. The ex-Gf never liked any smell and I really don't care for one either.

But back before I got with "miss everything gives me a headache including the thought of penis" I used to wear a lot of different ones. That Aqua Gio was my favorite and seemed to bring all the girls to the yard.

Still have most of them under my sink, guess I might as well bring them back into service the old M-14 did for the Army.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 7:58:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Shave?

For God's sake, it's No Shave November.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:01:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Gin.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:07:20 AM EDT
[#37]
This stuff soothes and smooths my face and head (which I shave). It also happens to smell good without being obnoxious.

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:07:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:13:23 AM EDT
[#39]
OP, before aftershave, try splashing with some Witch Hazel, first.  You can get the regular stuff anywhere, but to treat yourself, go to Vitamin Shoppe, or order online, Thayer's Lavender Witch Hazel.  Just let the Witch Hazel set for a few minutes.

As far as aftershaves, Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum, usually available at Walgreen's, is hell to put on, but after a few minutes, feels awesome.  Straight Clubman is great, too.

Dollar General still sells Barbasol, blue and green, that work well.

If you prefer a lotion-style, Bath&Body sells a C.O. Bigelow aftershave balm, that feels and smells good.

Those are a few of my favorites.

ETA:  that Mach5 is giving you one good pass, and four un-lubricated scrapings.  no wonder your face feels shitty.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:15:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Vertical by Victoria's secret.

Just a nice aftershave lotion, very little scent.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:19:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
My wife likes Old Spice on me.  

Aside from that, I don't give two shits about how I smell.  

If your Grandad didn't wear Old Spice, you wouldn't be here
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:19:46 AM EDT
[#42]

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:25:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Superior 70 Bay Rum,available at Walgreens. Great scent,good for the skin,not too powerful. Old time manly smell.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:33:11 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Clubman.

Speed  

God-Damn right.

Also, Col. Ichabod Conk Amber.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:35:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:46:47 AM EDT
[#46]

I like Bay Rum. I would buy that just for the neat bottle!

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:49:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Clubman.

Speed  

THIS. I use a straight or DE depending on the day, and this is the best aftershave ever.
ETA : Also Clubman Bay Rum
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:53:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I like Bay Rum. I would buy that just for the neat bottle!  

I placed my first order from Duluth Trading, then happened upon the site. They sell the bottles empty if you want to pour your own scent or liquid into a neat bottle.
Bay Rum and Sweet Bottles!
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:53:56 AM EDT
[#49]
None
just don't shave and you won't need it
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:55:09 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top