Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/17/2006 2:59:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/17/2006 3:35:55 PM EDT by NeoCon007]
She's the journalist captured by Islamic Terrorists in Iraq. Today, they said shes got three days to live unless the U.S. gets out of Iraq.

What kind of reporter is she? Was she a typical left wing-voice box for the democratic party?

If so, wouldn't it do the terroists more good to release one of their allies so she could continue to hinder the Bush Administrations War on Terror?

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:10:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NeoCon007:
She's the journalist captured by Islamic Terrorists in Iraq. Today, they said shes got three days to live unless the U.S. gets out of Iraq.

What kind of reporter is she? Was she a typical left wing-voice box for the democratic party?

If so, wouldn't it do the terroists more good to release one of their allies so she could continue to hinder the Bush Administrations War on Terror?

would you care less about what happens to her if she were a left leaning journalist? Just wondering.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:13:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DocBrooks:

would you care less about what happens to her if she were a left leaning journalist? Just wondering.

I would, absolutely. Flame away.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:16:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DOW:

I'm not going to waste my time like that. Journalists have opinions like everyone else and contrary to popular belief journalists are often asked for their opinion and commentary and not just bland reporting. By the way, as far as I know she worked for the Christian Science Monitor and was abducted along with some other Christian peace activists... Don't know if you'll wish her dead or not based on that.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:17:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/17/2006 3:18:42 PM EDT by NeoCon007]

I certainly don't want to see her head sawed off if thats what you're getting at.

The opposite side of that coin is, I don't wish to see any American Soldiers injured in an attempt to rescue her, and then she spit in their face and call them Bush Nazis either.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:22:44 PM EDT

I certainly don't want to see her head sawed off if thats what you're getting at.

The opposite side of that coin is, I don't wish to see any American Soldiers injured in an attempt to rescue her, and then she spit in their face and call them Bush Nazis either.

I wouldn't want to see that either. If it were Ann Coulter or Alan Colmes I'd still want them to make it out alive and unharmed even though I hate both with a passion and consider them to be two parts of the same piece of shit.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:23:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/17/2006 3:24:18 PM EDT by Max_Mike]

Not give a itty bitty damn…

Especially considering at least 2 leftist journalists have faked being kidnapped and were almost certainly helping the terrorist get ransom for funding for their operations.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:24:08 PM EDT

I'm not going to waste my time like that. Journalists have opinions like everyone else and contrary to popular belief journalists are often asked for their opinion and commentary and not just bland reporting. By the way, as far as I know she worked for the Christian Science Monitor and was abducted along with some other Christian peace activists... Don't know if you'll wish her dead or not based on that.

From CNN:

"Monitor editors have called for Carroll's safe release. She has been reporting from the Middle East for Jordanian, Italian and other news organizations for three years."

Do you suppose her reporting for Jordanian and Italian news agencies was beneficial to our boys/girls fighting a shooting war against a savage, brutal enemy, or do you suppose it undermined their valiant efforts on our behalf?

I stand by my not giving a fuck about her.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:26:03 PM EDT

From CNN:

"Monitor editors have called for Carroll's safe release. She has been reporting from the Middle East for Jordanian, Italian and other news organizations for three years."

Do you suppose her reporting for Jordanian and Italian news agencies was beneficial to our boys/girls fighting a shooting war against a savage, brutal enemy, or do you suppose it undermined their valiant efforts on our behalf?

Do you have some things that she wrote? Italy has troops in Iraq.... even today.... You're quick to rush to judgement considering you haven't even stated what she has written.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:26:27 PM EDT

From CNN:

+1

She is very likely a collaborator and in no danger anyway.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:33:04 PM EDT
I've looked for some of her articles but could only find a piece which talked about the six mile stretch of road from Bagdhad to the Airport and how dangerous it is.

Nothing too outrageous, but did implicate the U.S. military as not being able to control it tightly enough.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:33:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/17/2006 3:35:50 PM EDT by DOW]

From CNN:

Do you have some things that she wrote? Italy has troops in Iraq.... even today.... You're quick to rush to judgement considering you haven't even stated what she has written.

Why did you mention reporting for Italy and not mention Jordan? Why are supporting so strongly a person who obviously worked against our troops fighting a war? You're quick to rush to defend a leftist journalist.

ETA
Night night.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:38:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Max_Mike:

No, I don't think so.

Here's a quote from her driver (her interpreter was shot in the head)

The incident took place within 300 yards of the office of Adnan al-Dulaimi, a Sunni politician whom Carroll had planned to interview earlier that morning, the article said.

But al-Dulaimi was not there and, after 25 minutes, Carroll and her interpreter attempted to drive off, but their red Toyota Cressida was halted, the article said, citing the driver.

"It was very obvious this was by design," the driver said. "The whole operation took no more than a quarter of a minute. It was very highly organized. It was a setup, a perfect ambush."

Am I the only one thinking that this politician they were supposed to meet is a perfect candidate for some torture? Bet he knows a thing or two!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:40:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TacticalMan:

Originally Posted By Max_Mike:

No, I don't think so.

Here's a quote from her driver (her interpreter was shot in the head)

The incident took place within 300 yards of the office of Adnan al-Dulaimi, a Sunni politician whom Carroll had planned to interview earlier that morning, the article said.

But al-Dulaimi was not there and, after 25 minutes, Carroll and her interpreter attempted to drive off, but their red Toyota Cressida was halted, the article said, citing the driver.

"It was very obvious this was by design," the driver said. "The whole operation took no more than a quarter of a minute. It was very highly organized. It was a setup, a perfect ambush."

Am I the only one thinking that this politician they were supposed to meet is a perfect candidate for some torture? Bet he knows a thing or two!

I demand that panties be put on his head immediately!

- BG
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:43:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/17/2006 3:47:14 PM EDT by DOW]
Here's the one quote I could find from Miss Carrol before I go to bed - shockingly enough she's questioning Gen Kimmitt regarding US troops killing innocent civillians.

Link

Q Hi, Jill Carrol (sp) with ANSA. Two things on the crash in Fallujah. Can you tell us if the passengers on board were civilians, and their nationalities?

GEN. KIMMITT: There were no civilians on board.

Q Okay. And, I guess yesterday in Fallujah, two people were killed when an America rocket or something was shot at their house. Do you have more details about this? Last night, I guess around 10 p.m.

GEN. KIMMITT: The information that we have and what was reported to us was that in the course of a normal patrol, a coalition patrol was engaged by enemy forces. Those enemy forces ran into a house, we believe there were two personnel that ran into a house, and continued firing on the patrol from the house. Coalition forces engaged those two personnel. And to the best of our knowledge, that ended the incident.

Q Do you know what, exactly, was shot at the house?

GEN. KIMMITT: Yes. It was small-arms fires. It was reported in some press statement that -- excuse me, a press journal that a tank had been used. There was no tank used in that operation.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:45:22 PM EDT
Ummm...let's see here:

Iraq is a war zone.

There are thousands of pissed off Muslim terrorists running around there capturing and murdering westerners. She knew this going in. Sorry, but actions have consequences. Her decision to cover the Iraq beat is hers and hers alone. She is not deserving of our pity.

A press badge is not a bullet proof vest. Many members of the press think that just because they believe in the "cause" of the locals, they are immune. Bah...the BGs USE those press fools whenever they can.

I figure she's missing a large part of her anatomy and taking a dirt nap shortly. Too bad...
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:46:34 PM EDT
Well, that's most unfortunate for her. I will still be here in 3 days.

-L
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:46:52 PM EDT

From CNN:

Why did you mention reporting for Italy and not mention Jordan? Why are supporting so strongly a person who obviously worked against our troops fighting a war? You're quick to rush to defend a leftist journalist.

ETA
Night night.

What about Jordan? Just b/c she probably sold a story to a Jordanian paper doesn't mean much... Do you have what she wrote? You're making a lot of assumptions. I'm just saying she shouldn't be judged yet, you or anyone else hasn't linked to a single thing she wrote about that would warrant the way you believe she is. You're just speculating...
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:49:50 PM EDT

Here's the one quote I could find from Miss Carrol before I go to bed - shockingly enough she's questioning Gen Kimmitt regarding US troops killing innocent civillians.

Link

Q Hi, Jill Carrol (sp) with ANSA. Two things on the crash in Fallujah. Can you tell us if the passengers on board were civilians, and their nationalities?

Q Okay. And, I guess yesterday in Fallujah, two people were killed when an America rocket or something was shot at their house. Do you have more details about this? Last night, I guess around 10 p.m.

GEN. KIMMITT: The information that we have and what was reported to us was that in the course of a normal patrol, a coalition patrol was engaged by enemy forces. Those enemy forces ran into a house, we believe there were two personnel that ran into a house, and continued firing on the patrol from the house. Coalition forces engaged those two personnel. And to the best of our knowledge, that ended the incident.

GEN. KIMMITT: Yes. It was small-arms fires. It was reported in some press statement that -- excuse me, a press journal that a tank had been used. There was no tank used in that operation.

it's called reporting, you ask questions... asking if casualties were civ or mil is legitemate. You're insane if you think what you just posted is somehow out of bounds reporting because of some leftist agenda.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:50:36 PM EDT

Link

Thanks for the quote Dow.

My sympathy for Ms. Carrol has been greatly diminished.

Anyone else have quotes?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:52:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By LWilde:
Ummm...let's see here:

Iraq is a war zone.

There are thousands of pissed off Muslim terrorists running around there capturing and murdering westerners. She knew this going in. Sorry, but actions have consequences. Her decision to cover the Iraq beat is hers and hers alone. She is not deserving of our pity.

A press badge is not a bullet proof vest. Many members of the press think that just because they believe in the "cause" of the locals, they are immune. Bah...the BGs USE those press fools whenever they can.

I figure she's missing a large part of her anatomy and taking a dirt nap shortly. Too bad...

Thought they as yet have not beheaded a woman. They shot the British C.A.R.E. woman in the head, slightly more merciful.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:58:09 PM EDT
About Jill Carrol

Christian Science Monitor???
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:59:32 PM EDT
We should not be deciding which hostages are more important than the next one, even if they are young cute females. As soon as we stop evaluating hostages--making one more important than the other, and not give in to hostage demands, the value of any hostage will become a worthless proposition.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:00:33 PM EDT

Link

Anyone else have quotes?

In your opinion, how would a responsible journalist investigate the above incident? I don't think any of the questions she asked were particularly biased or leading. She's basically saying "we heard this, is it true"?

Despite everyone's assumptions here that she's a biased leftist who is undermining US efforts, nobody seems to be able to point to any evidence to that effect.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:11:25 PM EDT

Link

Anyone else have quotes?

US citizens fall under the protection of the Constitution. Period.

Having said that, her questioning seems rather negative.

It always amazed how zealously reporters go after minutiae*

*Minutiae refers to any small or otherwise incidental detail.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:11:52 PM EDT
She was set-up...the abduction was well planned and people "on the inside" knew where she was going and alerted terrorist.

Trust no one over there...no one!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:12:54 PM EDT
Actually, if you search the archives of the Christian Science Monitor site, you can find plenty of examples of her reporting:

Two views on the Iraqi battlefield
By Jill Carroll NEW OBEIDI, IRAQ Iraqi Army Capt. Khalid Hussein grew impatient as he explained what seemed like the obvious. "They are the enemy," he says, exasperated, to his American counterpart. "They killed my friends." Marine Capt. Clinton Culp doesn't waver. "I know sir. I've lost men, too. But if we beat [up] the enemy, then we are no better than him." The two detainees in question are clearly insurgents and deserved the beating he gave them, Captain Hussein argues.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0426/p01s03-woiq.html

Her analysis of the airport problem isn't particularly anti-American. Someone in an earlier post seemed to indicate that she was asking "why aren't the American troops doing a better job" in the article, but I don't think this is the case at all.

Other snippets:

Shiites, Kurds forge ahead
By Jill Carroll BAGHDAD Far from the violence of this country's turbulent capital, the emerging Shiite and Kurdish leaders of Iraq's new democracy hunkered down in a northern mountain retreat to plan, they say, a pluralistic government that would embrace disenfranchised Sunni Arabs. The stakes of such meetings are enormous. While certainly the beginning of political horse-trading that will stretch over the coming weeks, the challenge will be to unite groups with widely different views in...

Reporters on the Job
* Bagpipes at Dawn: Election day in Iraq began for correspondent Jill Carroll at 4:30 when a US marine armed with a bagpipe walked in among the Iraqi election workers sleeping on cots and played what sounded like the theme song from the movie "Braveheart." While the poll workers in Husaybah, probably didn't know the story of William Wallace's Scottish resistance to what he saw as an English occupation, the marines reported to Jill that the wailing pipes did a great job of getting ever...

Anger, hope drive Sunnis to vote in Iraqi villages once held by
By Jill Carroll HUSAYBAH, IRAQ This recent insurgent stronghold in Iraq's far west hadn't participated in Iraq's democratic transition until Thursday. Opening polling centers for the first parliamentary election or the constitutional referendum was impossible because of insurgent attacks. But Thursday, Shatwa Fedhi Hasan and his neighbors arrived before the polls opened, determined to influence a process that has left them behind. Standing in the chilly morning air, their determination ...

Doesn't really sound like someone undermining our efforts. She is writing some articles about problems in Iraq, but it would be fundamentally dishonest to ignore the fact that many Iraqi's have security concerns and limited electrical power.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:14:58 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:17:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By pliftkl:

In your opinion, how would a responsible, American, journalist investigate the above incident?

Question 1: General, let me start out by thanking you and your troops for protecting all of the citizens of the U.S. We understand while performing your duties your troops shot a car trying to run a road block. Could you provide us with some details on that situation?

Question 2: Last night about 10:00, some of our brave soldiers spotted enemy terrorists enter a hideout. We understand that they were able to destroy the terrorists is that correct?... Please elaborate.

Question 3: We can only hope that whatever was fired at the terrorist hideout, it was large enough to disable the terrorists before they could return fire on our troops.

This would have been much more acceptable. This is the way it was done during WWII. This is the way it should be done now. Either she's an American, or she's a terrorist sympathiser, but she can't be both.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:22:16 PM EDT
No sympathy for the sympathizer. She knew the odds and she knew the risks. So sad. So bad.

Maybe the next one will learn.

Karma is a bitch. Piss on the graves of those that protect you and it will come back to haunt you.

My 2¢,

wganz

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:24:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/17/2006 4:31:34 PM EDT by Tromatic]

Nice. Remind me to not shed a tear for you or yours, ever. I would not wish what has happened to her or what could happen on anyone. If we lived in a country with any sense of
self-preservation or balls, we would have already crushed the scum over there. Which other American citizens rate having their heads lopped slowly sawn off by 17th centruy savages in your world?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:28:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Mattl:

Ummm...let's see here:

Iraq is a war zone.

Thought they as yet have not beheaded a woman. They shot the British C.A.R.E. woman in the head, slightly more merciful.

You're probably correct. I hope they let her go...but I doubt they will.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:34:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Mattl:

Ummm...let's see here:

Iraq is a war zone.

You're probably correct. I hope they let her go...but I doubt they will.

Something like this would seem more humane but at the same time serve thier intent in imagery. Just do not understand the knife unless you just want to show suffering.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:43:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/17/2006 4:43:36 PM EDT by pliftkl]

In your opinion, how would a responsible, American, journalist investigate the above incident?

Question 1: General, let me start out by thanking you and your troops for protecting all of the citizens of the U.S. We understand while performing your duties your troops shot a car trying to run a road block. Could you provide us with some details on that situation?

Question 2: Last night about 10:00, some of our brave soldiers spotted enemy terrorists enter a hideout. We understand that they were able to destroy the terrorists is that correct?... Please elaborate.

Question 3: We can only hope that whatever was fired at the terrorist hideout, it was large enough to disable the terrorists before they could return fire on our troops.

Get real. The questions you are posing aren't even vaguely independent reporting. If you want reporters to ask this king of question, why bother to even have independent reporting? We could just let the US military or the federal government write the stories and tell the newspapers which stories to run.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:46:36 PM EDT
Reporters out in the wild need to start wearing GPS transmitters.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:50:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BUCC_Guy:

Originally Posted By TacticalMan:

I demand that panties be put on his head immediately!

- BG

No!!! Not that!!! I meant like no dessert after dinner!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:53:01 PM EDT

Get real. The questions you are posing aren't even vaguely independent reporting. If you want reporters to ask this king of question, why bother to even have independent reporting? We could just let the US military or the federal government write the stories and tell the newspapers which stories to run.

We don't have independent reporting now. What we do have is a bunch of left-wing liberals echoing the Democratic talking points, most of which intend to discredit our president and make this country weaker.

The questions I laid out are the same type of questions that were asked by American reporters in WWII. They knew that they were Americans and they wanted their country to win. Look how far we've fallen from those days of great reporting.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:04:34 PM EDT
She's not gung-ho enough to rescue. The US Military should only rescue pro-American, pro-War, Bush-loving hostages.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:11:52 PM EDT
She chose "unwisely"
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:15:30 PM EDT
The best thing the US can do is nothing. Only then will the savages possibly understand that kidnapping unarmed journalists won't help them. I don't want to see her die, but We do not negotiate with terrorists, period!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:20:37 PM EDT

This would have been much more acceptable. This is the way it was done during WWII. This is the way it should be done now. Either she's an American, or she's a terrorist sympathiser, but she can't be both.

oh fuck, are you kidding me? I wish that were sarcasm... no seriously, it has to be sarcasm.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:24:04 PM EDT
I thought she was with the christian science monitor?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:24:47 PM EDT

We don't have independent reporting now. What we do have is a bunch of left-wing liberals echoing the Democratic talking points, most of which intend to discredit our president and make this country weaker.

The questions I laid out are the same type of questions that were asked by American reporters in WWII. They knew that they were Americans and they wanted their country to win. Look how far we've fallen from those days of great reporting.

I'm so sick of my fellow conservatives whining about the so called "liberal media" but not doing anything about it. If you think it is so bad do something to change it, boycott it, get your news elsewhere, become a fucking reporter, but don't cry about it like someone on welfare asking for a government hand out. No one is forcing you or anyone else to watch CNN or whoever else you believe to be in on this vast conspiracy.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:26:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Stove_Pipe:
The best thing the US can do is nothing. Only then will the savages possibly understand that kidnapping unarmed journalists won't help them. I don't want to see her die, but We do not negotiate with terrorists, period!

I don't think anyone is advocating any type of negotiation. Everyone here seems to at least agree that negotiating with terrorists only opens the flood gates for further terrorism.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:33:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/17/2006 7:37:36 PM EDT by NeoCon007]

I'm so sick of my fellow conservatives whining about the so called "liberal media" but not doing anything about it. If you think it is so bad do something to change it, boycott it, get your news elsewhere, become a fucking reporter, but don't cry about it like someone on welfare asking for a government hand out. No one is forcing you or anyone else to watch CNN or whoever else you believe to be in on this vast conspiracy.

Who's whining? I'm stating a fact known and admitted by both sides of the political aisle.

It is bad, and it is being changed. Fox News and Talk Radio are taking care of it for us.

I'm certainly a conservative, but I seriously doubt that you and I share any fellowship.

ETA: I'm sick of closet liberals shitting up this otherwise perfect website, but until they give me an account lock button, there's not much I can do about it. In other words, I don't give a rats ass what your sick of.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:40:37 PM EDT
I don't wish to see the islamo-fascists get one more kill under their belt. That said, many of the reporters over there, both foreign and domestic, have gone above and beyond giving aid to the enemies of our country.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:45:12 PM EDT

Right on. Journalists are supposed to report the facts. Who gives a fuck about opinion? I'll form my own, just give me the damn facts! Whoever posted that journalists are SUPPOSED to give opinion is frigging wacko!

That said......I would pay money to pull the trigger on the bad guys that grabbed her. Regardless of her politics, she is a relatively innocent American citizen, and a woman to boot. The terrorists/kidnappers are the worst of the scum that exists on our planet, and THEY are the ones who deserve to die. Not her.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:02:04 PM EDT
I feel sorry for her, but she seems to be rather oblivious to the world around her. Unfortunately she will likely never get the opportunity to learn from her mistakes. May God go with her.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:36:34 PM EDT
why can't most conservatives be more like docbrooks? i read nothing but vitriol for opposing thoughts and views on this site. it makes a big boy like me sad and want to cry.

why aresome of you so completely heartless toward this girl? she didn't raise a weapon. she didn't harbor terrorist. so what if she is not conservative? why do you not care if she is executed?

conservatives run this country right now. is that not enough? have you not won enough? are you afraid of what's going to happen november of this year? why do you hate so much?

all of you would be crying for blood if she were jenna or barbara bush, and you know nothing about those girls.

for the record, i wouldn't mind seeing the bush girls and humiliated on the web by religious extremists. not killed, just wide-open naked and violated.

i'm not being hateful. i just appreciate good poon from both sides of the aisle.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:59:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/17/2006 9:00:51 PM EDT by bull_8]

Originally Posted By Tromatic:

Which other American citizens rate having their heads lopped slowly sawn off by 17th centruy savages in your world?
Sen John Kerry, Rep Murtha, Teddy "Corpulent Tick" Kennedy, Charles Schumer, Hitlery Klinton, and Al "I lost the 2000 election and cant get over it" Gore would be a great start

Your question is answered in red
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:04:18 PM EDT
She looks just like Tawnee Stone.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Top Top