Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2003 5:19:28 AM EDT
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
--Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 5:28:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Now you know the origin of the "guns=phallic symbol" stuff.
And you can firmly correct the next person who asks if you are compensating, with the above quote.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 5:45:03 AM EDT
[#2]
oH,  I gotta use that tonight with my Step-dad, he's a Liberal Geek, who always got something to say about my stash.  Oh thats gonna burn him up since he's Mr. Anal-ysis.  We got into it a couple of weeks ago, when he started lambasting me with, "why do you need that? Are you a woman? Your such a big guy, you can take anyone out...yadayadayada"...and..."Why would anyone want to have an AK?....Im worried about you, you scare me..." and then the infamous..." ALL GUNS SHOULD BE BANNED AND TAKEN AWAY"...Thats when I flipped out, and started to lean on this pathetic idealism and it ended in a shouting match which I eventually won...took about 1/2 hour to make him understand that he was dead wrong about banning guns in America.  In the heat of the argument I called him a "sucker" which I retracted later out of respect but I know that irked him good. [:D]  I know he is carefully planning his next attack on me tonight at the family New Year's gathering.  

Thanks for that quote, it will come in handy tonight! [;)]
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 6:02:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
--Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis
View Quote

Yep I agree that's why I've been using it for a over a year now [:D]
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 6:34:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
oH,  I gotta use that tonight with my Step-dad, he's a Liberal Geek, who always got something to say about my stash.  Oh thats gonna burn him up since he's Mr. Anal-ysis.  We got into it a couple of weeks ago, when he started lambasting me with, "why do you need that? Are you a woman? Your such a big guy, you can take anyone out...yadayadayada"...and..."Why would anyone want to have an AK?....Im worried about you, you scare me..." and then the infamous..." ALL GUNS SHOULD BE BANNED AND TAKEN AWAY"...Thats when I flipped out, and started to lean on this pathetic idealism and it ended in a shouting match which I eventually won...took about 1/2 hour to make him understand that he was dead wrong about banning guns in America.  In the heat of the argument I called him a "sucker" which I retracted later out of respect but I know that irked him good. [:D]  I know he is carefully planning his next attack on me tonight at the family New Year's gathering.  

View Quote
Negative!  Don't pull that quote out unless he directly asks you if you are compensating, or makes an indirect reference to same.  The debate doesn't sound like it is in the right place for that quote.
Here's the line you use tonight:
You: Do you believe there are armed criminals?
Him: Yes.
You: Do you believe that if they are carrying a gun, they intend to use said gun in a crime?
You: Do you believe that you should purposely give the upper hand to somebody who would victimize you?
Him: Uhhh...(Probably some claptrap about macho codes, with a pithy comment about skill with a sword thrown in for good measure)
You: You would let a criminal victimize you because not using the best tools to defend yourself is macho?
Him: Shouting...
When he starts shouting, the discussion is over.  Its time for you to make observations.  Stuff like he sure is emotionally invested in a viewpoint, and ask why he is giving such a hostile reception to the facts.
Oh, BTW, you you start shouting, you have just acknowledged that your position is so factually void as to be worthless.  Don't shout.  Do it for the children.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 7:10:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

When it's all said and done, no one wins an argument with inlaws, even if you do they will find other ways to haunt you.

If this were my FIL I would tell him to go fuck him self and mind his own business end of argument....
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 7:12:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Or more simply -

Stepdad:  "Why do you want to have so many assault weapons; I think they should be banned and confiscated."

StariVojnik: "I'm doing it for the children."

Then begin calmly explaining why it is imperative for our generation to protect their RKBA and provide a legacy of firearms ownership and usage in case our children need to employ them to protect and defend the Constitution and recover the Republic.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 9:32:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote
Negative!  Don't pull that quote out unless he directly asks you if you are compensating, or makes an indirect reference to same.  The debate doesn't sound like it is in the right place for that quote.
Here's the line you use tonight:
You: Do you believe there are armed criminals?
You: Do you believe that if they are carrying a gun, they intend to use said gun in a crime?
You: Do you believe that you should purposely give the upper hand to somebody who would victimize you?
Him: Uhhh...(Probably some claptrap about macho codes, with a pithy comment about skill with a sword thrown in for good measure)
You: You would let a criminal victimize you because not using the best tools to defend yourself is macho?
Him: Shouting...
When he starts shouting, the discussion is over.  Its time for you to make observations.  Stuff like he sure is emotionally invested in a viewpoint, and ask why he is giving such a hostile reception to the facts.
Oh, BTW, you you start shouting, you have just acknowledged that your position is so factually void as to be worthless.  Don't shout.  Do it for the children.
View Quote

[b]...Don't pull that quote out unless he directly asks you if you are compensating...[/b]  

...roger that...

Our discussion was something like what you would have seen on Orange County Choppers [:)]  Loud at times but with points being made on both sides...its just hard to convince a liberal who's been set in his way of thinking for 57 years.   Regardless of his age,  im gonna keep chiseling away at him until he cries uncle! [:D] [pound]

Im glad that my REAL dad and I get to go to the shooting range together on occasion.  He was in the Army in 1951 so he's cool with guns.

Link Posted: 1/1/2004 8:37:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Any news?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top