Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2013 5:38:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/17/2013 7:35:18 PM EDT by kevhogAZ]
I'm trying to get back in shape, so I can do the summer races out here, but my training keeps hitting detours every time I turn around. First, I've been sick since Thanksgiving. Second, I gained a few pounds, since I was sick, and wasn't watching my weight, or caloric intake. I"m running to lose some weight, and try to ride as much as possible, but stuff like this, sets me back!! This happened at exactly 4.25 miles in to my 44 mile ride.
I took the day off for this, too!!

Veloflex Arenberg tubular, 2 cans of pit stop couldn't save it!!

Of course, I forgot my spare tire, so I had to get a ride back to my car. The old ride of shame, I guess?
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 5:45:37 PM EDT
I had a similar fate happen to me on New Years day 7 miles from home, but it was a seatpost snapping. Unfortunately I had to walk back.
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 6:06:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/15/2013 6:08:20 PM EDT by BillyDoubleU]
2 tubes and 2 CO2 cartridges with a tool and a small Allen key with insurance card and credit stays in the seat bag at all times.

I once sliced 2 tubes changing a flat 30 minutes from home... Made what turned out to be a $20 collect call... Didn't have a cell phone at the time.

Why the Allen key? To push thorns and glass out of your tire before you put a fresh tube in
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 6:18:27 PM EDT
My trek is sitting on rollers in y living room, can't wait till it warms up a bit.

Only had one flat on my RB and it was 3 blocks from home.

I am due
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 3:24:41 AM EDT
That sucks, I also got a flat tire last night and didn't have a spare tire/tube and I am supposed to go for a ride with a friend this morning.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 6:16:04 AM EDT
Damn! I've never seen something like that! I've been riding, with various levels of dedication, since 1995 and have been lucky to have never had anything like that happen.

I'm waiting for the Fed Ex man to deliver a new bicycle frame today and then I've got to buy the last few components before getting it put together. I've always limited my rides to about 10 miles but I plan to join a local club and start getting involved in some longer rides. Drop bars......here I come!
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 6:28:12 AM EDT
Originally Posted By doxdozer:
My trek is sitting on rollers in y living room, can't wait till it warms up a bit.

Only had one flat on my RB and it was 3 blocks from home.

I am due

It's gonna be 88 here today, so I'm on my out the door, to do a make up ride!! Gonna ride tomorrow, too!!
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 6:29:50 AM EDT
Originally Posted By corwin1968:
Damn! I've never seen something like that! I've been riding, with various levels of dedication, since 1995 and have been lucky to have never had anything like that happen.

I'm waiting for the Fed Ex man to deliver a new bicycle frame today and then I've got to buy the last few components before getting it put together. I've always limited my rides to about 10 miles but I plan to join a local club and start getting involved in some longer rides. Drop bars......here I come!

I'm the absolute king of "I've never seen that before"!! I had a tire come off the rim, three times on a group ride one time. The bead just kept slipping off the hook of the rim. Luckily, there was a SAG wagon, and I borrowed another tire.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 9:00:12 AM EDT
I'm on my 3rd rear tire on my mountain bike in about a month. I don't get punctures I get lacerations.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 12:02:58 PM EDT
Screw you guys. At least you get to ride this time of year.
It snowed here in Philly today.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 12:58:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Dredd308:
Screw you guys. At least you get to ride this time of year.
It snowed here in Philly today.

Managed to get a new tire & tube this morning to ride 40 miles, it was a beautiful day...75 degrees and sunny
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 6:10:00 PM EDT
Originally Posted By kevhogAZ:
Originally Posted By corwin1968:

I'm the absolute king of "I've never seen that before"!! I had a tire come off the rim, three times on a group ride one time. The bead just kept slipping off the hook of the rim. Luckily, there was a SAG wagon, and I borrowed another tire.

I had an MTB tire do that for me once a couple miles into an offroad tri last season. Only race that I ever DNFed...at least it was memorable. Everybody knew who I was for the rest of the season
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 11:50:57 AM EDT
After Mountain Biking a local trail 3 times and coming away with a total of 4 flats after each ride. I decided to give that trail a rest for a while. I broke my wheels down to inspect them and pulled about 20- 1.5 " long thorns out between the front and rear tires. I was a really hot dry summer in South GA last year and the thorns were everywhere. It's just part of biking that I've come to exepct and count on. Kind of like the stats of every 1 out of 10 bike rides you are going to eat some ground
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 12:03:19 PM EDT
Been there, done that. Nails and screws many times. Stones, thorns and glass too. I will say I've never had one go through a tire quite like that. My last flat was a piece of very thin wire that somehow managed to stick itself into tire and tube a good two inches.

I have a patch kit, CO2 inflater, extra tube, Park triple hex wrench and a twenty in my seat bag. Carry a pump too. The inflaters are nice but I've yet to get one to fully inflate a tire after a flat.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 3:10:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/17/2013 3:11:29 PM EDT by AGW]
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 7:36:24 PM EDT
Originally Posted By AGW:
No amount of extra tubes is gonna help when you're rollin' on tubs. What kind of Felt do you have?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I have a 2012 Felt F1, full SRAM Red. I found this last night, while getting it ready to ride today. FML!!

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 8:02:30 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 8:09:14 PM EDT
Originally Posted By mcculver5:
No amount of extra tubes is gonna help when you're rollin' on tubs. What kind of Felt do you have?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I have a 2012 Felt F1, full SRAM Red. I found this last night, while getting it ready to ride today. FML!!
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/kevhogaz/FeltDer2_zps7c11f223.jpg

I would lose my mind.

Way too new a bike for that crap.

I ride a plush and fairly indestructable cyclocross bike for training. Old school Cromol.

Good luck.

Shit happens, especially to me. After 45 years of bad luck, I'm used to it. I'll get it fixed, it's nothing major, and move on. Don't feel too sorry for me, I also have this piece of crap to ride, when my "good" bike is down!!
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 8:36:08 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 8:55:45 PM EDT
Cry me a freakin' river... jesus h, you're like one of the guys on WW whose "winter bike" is more expensive than my car.

No worries with your Felt though. They'll warranty you a frame in a matter of days.

I built that BH entirely from Ebay, for less than Competitive Cyclist charges for just the frame. Wheels included!! Don't hate me, I drive a 1994 Z28!!!

I'm not the original owner of the Felt, so I thought I was screwed on the warranty? I put in a request to Calfee, to see if it falls under their $100 repair category!
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 2:57:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/18/2013 2:58:05 AM EDT by H46Driver]

I'm not the original owner of the Felt, so I thought I was screwed on the warranty? I put in a request to Calfee, to see if it falls under their $100 repair category!

Probably screwed, but it doesn't hurt to ask. If you're on good terms with your local Felt dealer, going through them will probably help your case.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 5:27:43 AM EDT
Originally Posted By H46Driver:

Probably screwed, but it doesn't hurt to ask. If you're on good terms with your local Felt dealer, going through them will probably help your case.

I'll see what I can do. From what I've heard, they're not gonna warranty it, so I'll just plan on sending it to Calfee. They'll probably make it stronger, so this doesn't happen again.
Top Top