Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2003 6:12:55 PM EDT
Normally, I wouldn't post just to announce the fact that I had a super day shooting...but today was really exceptional.  Not even the loss of my brand new auto-reset target system dampened it.

The weather was very unseasonably warm here in central Virginia...up in the 50s.  I was all by myself at the local Isaac Walton range and I had tons of ammo and time to play.

I fired about 120 rounds from my Mauser, about 100 from my my Arsenal SAM-7 and about another 100 from my Colt HBAR.  My new target machine was set up at 100yds as were some balloons, clays and a Shoot-N-See.

I couldn't believe it...NOBODY showed up during the 2 1/2 hours I was there...amazing, considering the incredibly warm, clear day we had.

The only downer was when I shot my brand new Sharp Shooter Hi-Caliber Reset Target machine to pieces!  On my third shot with the Mauser (I started with it.), I got "lucky" and hit the bar that is an integral part of and attaches the target circle to the support bar.  Incredibly, that 1972 Romanian 7.92 FMJ round blew right through that hefty bar stock and blew that target right off the machine!  I didn't check on it right then, since I didn't want to lose time and I didn't really think I had wrecked it.  I checked it out with my spotting scope and it appeared that the left target had simply come off.  I figured that it was most likely due to the loss of the outer cylindrical "cotter" key.  Little did I know that I had destroyed the damn thing.  After shooting at the clays, balloons and Shoot-N-Sees for awhile, I went back to the target machine and after a few rounds, the entire thing sort of fell over...rather violently.  At that point I decided to check it out.  I was stunned to find the left support leg completely shot through...as was the left reset target.  Those 8mm Mauser rounds went through those support legs like a hot knife through butter.  They did NOT penetrate the flat face of the targets but they ruined the rest of the machine.

When I got home, I decided to check the paperwork and the box carefully, since when I purchased the machine from Cabela's online, their site said nothing about restrictions...in fact, they advertise the machine is capable of taking hits from 9mm - 30.06.  Since 7.92x57 Mauser is ballistically very close to 30.06, I figured that it could take the pounding.  Boy was I wrong!

After a careful review, I finally found some caution statements on the back of the box...in small print that warned shooters NOT TO USE AP or FMJ AMMO!  Well...duh.  I was using FMJs.  Shit I felt stupid...but that was the first I had seen of that.  There wasn't anything in the online description of the product...nothing in the inside paperwork or assembly instructions, or on the box...except for that one small sentence.

I called Cabela's after I got home and they said they'd return my money.  I can't imagine why they didn't provide more info...or how I could have missed that.  

Anyway...it MUST have been a great day...my shoulders are SORE from that Mauser!  

Oh...anyone know of better, more robust auto-reset target machines?
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 6:31:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Anyway...it MUST have been a great day...my shoulders are SORE from that Mauser!  [:D]
[sniper]
View Quote

I use a Past recoil pad with mine.  Those metal butt plates are tough on the old joints.  And surplus ammo is awfully hot, compared to the commercial stuff.

edit to add... wish I could have gone shooting today. I was off all day and the ranges I use are closed Monday.  Oh, the Humanity!
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 11:22:25 PM EDT
[#2]
those mauser are tough on young joints.  i can only handle about 60rds of the romanian 8mm.  my yugo m48 seems to have less recoil than my k98..?
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 11:57:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought this big, ugly slip-on recoil pad from Cabela's called the "The Shooter's Friend Recoil Pad." It really takes the pain out of shooting the M48. It looks like crap, but I'm a wuss, so I don't care.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top