Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2001 4:44:39 AM EDT
I went to my first gun show on Saturday and I had the opportunity to talk to and observe.

I talked to a few people who had no idea about the new Mass Compliant pistol laws.  I also looked at a SKS that the dealer told me was "preban", which it was obviously not since it only had 1 evil feature.

I would venture to say that 95% of gun owners and 99.9% of the general population don't understand the "assault" weapons ban.

I would also say that 80% of gun owners are guilty of committing felonies without even knowing it.

What do you think?
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 4:50:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Thats probably accurate.  Might be a little low in the percentages though.  [:D]
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 4:58:26 AM EDT
[#2]
AW ban violations are chump change from what I've seen.  I see NFA violations on a semiregular basis.  The two most common are:

1.  Attaching a forward pistol grip to a pistol.  Some guy's think it's Ok as it's a preban.  Nope, it truth, it's now an AOW.

2.  Stocking a pistol.  Some time ago someone came out with a pistol version of the M1 carbine.  I believe it was called an "enforcer".   It had a 12 inch barrel and no stock.  I see people with these things inside a paratrooper stock replica.  Cool? Yes! Violation? Yes!
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 5:39:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Better question is how many of those enforcing it actually know it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 5:58:25 AM EDT
[#4]
The important thing is that we all know the constitution and the rights given to us by GOD , and in my book , that supercedes any so called law!
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 6:02:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I think 7 is probably right. Most gun owners do not know the law.  They think they do; they don't.

I've been to gun shows and argued with dealers about the legality of something they had on their table (ironically twice was exactly as Driftpunch had stated - attaching a forward grip).  One guy told me, "I'm a dealer, I know the law!"  Well, sh*t pal.  Anyone with a clean record, proper zoning and $200 can get a FFL.  I've got an FFL and a JD, but even with that, I'm smart enough to know I don't know everything in the law, and I'm always open to research and learning something new.  For better or worse, I don't say anything at gun shows anymore. For the most part, they don't want to know the law, especially if it conflicts with their interests, and I get tired of banging my head against the wall trying to be helpful.  If he doesn't know the law, he'll figure it out when/if he gets busted.  

Not to open up this can of worms again, but for an example, look at the debates on this board and in the leagl forum about "pre-ban" receivers.  Most people don't know what constitutes a true "pre-ban" receiver, or what the gov'ts burden of proof is to convict you on possession of an illegally assembled "asault weapon".  Its one hell of a lot lower than most people could ever imagine.

Link Posted: 6/4/2001 6:23:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Glad you lost your flower,= went to 1st SHOW!MA state Firearms laws BITE!FID-pepperspray,FID-.22 semi's+ boltactions any size, cl_B, cl_A...before '99 FID got you AR-AK, now you need a cl-A, which is virtually unobtainable due to police liability issues.[moon]
View Quote

Are you in Eastern Mass?  Out here in Western Mass it is cake to get a class A.  You need to get a class A to carry almost any semi auto pistol.  I have never heard of anyone not getting a class A.  they gave me one with no questions asked.

Hell I even have "For all lawful purposes" so I can CCW.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 6:52:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 6:56:40 AM EDT
[#8]
It's also a warm and cozy feeling to know we are  responsible not only for all 20k-30k gun laws, but for all laws.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 7:46:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The important thing is that we all know the constitution
View Quote

Good point

and the rights given to us by GOD , and in my book , that supercedes any so called law!
View Quote
 Too bad the ATF and the world doesn't go by your book
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 8:36:04 AM EDT
[#10]
What % of gun owners like the gun laws?

From my observations here, I would say 40% enthusiastically obey the Constitutional infringements.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 11:35:13 AM EDT
[#11]
On the topic of forward pistol grips:

I've seen many pictures of rifles with forward pistol grips on them.  Is THIS a no-no?
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 12:01:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Gun laws . . .

What a rat's nest. The federal 922r laws are one thing. You CAN put anything you want on an SKS so long as you retain the fixed 10 rd mag. It's a C&R gun, and NOT an "assault weapon" by definition because of the fixed magazine.

First criteria of the 922r "assault weapon" definition is "detachable, high capacity (11 rds or more), ammo feed system."

BATF can't tell you the difference between a muzzle brake and a flash suppressor.

State laws vary from state to state. In Oregon some cities have restrictions on open carry although open carry is legal in Oregon generally. You think these towns have a sign at the "border" stating "No open carry?"

At the private ranges . . . one has a sign that states: "Trespassing with a firearm is a FELONY." Then, "All firearms will be unloaded with actions open except at the firing line."

-- A pretty standard rule, but does it include legally concealed carry? No one can tell me.

In Oregon we are issued a "concealed handgun permit." You can't conceal a "long gun" on your person, but it's legal to conceal one in your vehicle. You can conceal a handgun, but can you conceal a switchblade knife (switchblades are legal in Oregon IF not concealed)? Can you conceal any knife with a blade longer than the prescribed 3"??? What about a butcher knife carried in the glove box on the way to a picnic?

So, once you get the state laws under control, all you have to do in Oregon is drive across the Columbia river and boom . . . You're in Washington state. New state, new laws. Oregon to California is worse.

We need a NATIONAL carry law. "If you're legal to own a handgun, you're legal to carry it--any way you see fit." That's should be the law in ALL states. Seems to conform to the intentions of the Second Amendment.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 12:12:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Gun laws . . .

The federal 922r laws are one thing. You CAN put anything you want on an SKS so long as you retain the fixed 10 rd mag. It's a C&R gun, and NOT an "assault weapon" by definition because of the fixed magazine.
View Quote

say, you seem to know 922r, so what if i ditch the 10 rd fixed for sometihng more fun ,and keep all the rest original. is there a hi-cap fixed mag anywhere??
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 12:31:20 PM EDT
[#14]
The local gun shop does'nt know the laws,thats
for sure.......
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 1:12:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Alot of people don't know or don't care. A friend of mine asked me about putting a collapsible stock on his post-ban AR. I told him that would be illegal. He said the law was stupid and that he didn't give a shit. He takes this "illegal" rifle to the range and shoots it all the time, along with our cop friends, who are generally clueless about gun laws as well and don't see a problem with it. So who is going to bust him? I never see the ATF at the range checking guns for legality. I imagine the only time it would be an issue is if he tried to sell it or committed a crime with it.

Link Posted: 6/4/2001 1:57:58 PM EDT
[#16]
i think it would be more like if he was accused of anything wrong, it would be discovered. or say i had a post ban AW and me and all my guns got pulled over. asx we have seen in the past, the clueless cop detains me( just like the guy with an "arsenal" of six weapons in his van, who was arrested for it and then the cops discovered it wasnt a crime and let him go, if anyone remembers). this is when it would get found out.

oh, for the record. this was just an example. i dont have a postban AW and i would never submit to a search
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 2:07:14 PM EDT
[#17]
I have the gun laws for all 50 states on 1 CD-ROM. I used to print law books, learned lots of interesting stuff. Not only did we print books, but also produced our own CD's. Go to WWW.gouldlaw.com and you should be able to order one. Or call 800-717-7917 8-5 eastern. It should be called Gould's Firearms Law. It is updated every year as the books are printed every year.
        -Trigger
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top